corner corner All those books in the garbage

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

All those books in the garbage

Our local used book store dumps large quantities of unsaleable books into a huge Dumpster. From time to time I'll raid the bin. If they catch you, they yell.

I don't have time to deal with bookcrossing in a big way any more. When I had a less demanding job and more time at home, it was lots of fun. But when I see all those books...yes, something of them are in bad shape, and some of them are going to show up on Amazon for a penny a piece. But there are also some decent ones too - guess they just didn't sell. I especially feel bad about the children's books, because it feels like we should be encouraging kids to read, and just tossing the books into the bin?

So...I'm thinking. Would anyone want these rescued books? Should I continue my secret raids? What do you think?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Our local used book store dumps large quantities of unsaleable books into a huge Dumpster. From time to time I'll raid the bin. If they catch you, they yell.

I don't have time to deal with bookcrossing in a big way any more. When I had a less demanding job and more time at home, it was lots of fun. But when I see all those books...yes, something of them are in bad shape, and some of them are going to show up on Amazon for a penny a piece. But there are also some decent ones too - guess they just didn't sell. I especially feel bad about the children's books, because it feels like we should be encouraging kids to read, and just tossing the books into the bin?

So...I'm thinking. Would anyone want these rescued books? Should I continue my secret raids? What do you think?
Profile Image
I live near a charity shop with an idealistic background, and they prove it by being very supportive to BookCrossing. So supportive in fact that we (a few local 'Crossers) have a deal with them, meaning that one of us comes by every two weeks and picks up a selection of their overstock.
This results in 2-8 banana boxes of books every two weeks, most of them definitely still suitable to be read and used for BookCrossing.
Since I can't possibly register all these books myself, I distribute them amongst Dutch members. Two times a year, I organise a meeting where any and all members are welcome to pick up as many boxes of books as they want (and more is better in this case.

This arrangement works out to the satisfaction of all parties involved. Maybe you could consider a similar thing.
Profile Image
There may be people there who would pay to have books shipped to them. It's always worth trying to save books imho, though, my house is overrun with the attempt. :-/
Profile Image
I know my OBCZ's (I run 2) are always needing books. In our area unemployment is at 25% and above so people are even afraid to check out library books as they may not be able to have gas money or bus fare to get them returned on time!
My personal thought is NEVER throw a book away! even those past their useful reading life can be donated to local collage artists or those who creat "altered books".
Profile Image
*nods in agreement* Save what you can, books are never wasted, no matter how beat up they are. And like Fuzzmom said, even if they can't be saved for BC purposes, they can still be great for collage artists, scrapbookers, altered book projects... plenty of uses left for them no matter how far gone they are!
Profile Image
Childrens books in good shape can be donated to elementary schools, where the teachers keep librariers in their rooms and always need replacements and updates.

Consider collecting up a box full and offering it for postage in either the OBCZ managers forum, or the Random Acts forum.

I stress that in your situation (not much time, whole lotta books), probably not all the books are truly worth saving and you should be really picky. No out of date reference, no Readers Digest Condensed, nothing that smells or is stained or underlined or falling apart. I know that some BCers will try to save and register ANY book, but I don't always agree (for instance, the high school history book of the Soviet Union I got from someone a year or so ago....).
Profile Image
> I
> know that some BCers will try to save and
> register ANY book, but I don't always
> agree (for instance, the high school
> history book of the Soviet Union I got
> from someone a year or so ago....).

See, and I would have loved that, as a Russian major.
Profile Image
resources to be as active on BC as you'd like! But your doing your own contribution on your terms, so keep it up!
Profile Image
Donate the childrens books to a local school, plus the shop recycle the rather than just dumping them!!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.