corner corner Twittering

Forum | << Activists, Enthusiasts, Hobbyists and Wannabees | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Twittering

I've joined Twitter and have been tweeting all my BC catches (OBCZ, rings n rays, wild catches) - most of my followers seem to have come from my running posts so who knows, might lure someone to take an interest.

I'm also doing a thing within the yahoo groups for the UK and Birmingham where I encourage people to save all their JE's for the 1st of the month and share them with the group - again, whether OBCZ, a trade, a wild catch. I hope this will encourage new members to realise they will hear from their books, maybe just not immediately, and keep them interested...

Complete Thread

Profile Image

Twittering

I've joined Twitter and have been tweeting all my BC catches (OBCZ, rings n rays, wild catches) - most of my followers seem to have come from my running posts so who knows, might lure someone to take an interest.

I'm also doing a thing within the yahoo groups for the UK and Birmingham where I encourage people to save all their JE's for the 1st of the month and share them with the group - again, whether OBCZ, a trade, a wild catch. I hope this will encourage new members to realise they will hear from their books, maybe just not immediately, and keep them interested...
Profile Image
Interesting piece in today's paper about Twittering...apparently about 70% let it drop after signing up. MySpace/Facebook doing better. I would imagine Twitters like Oprah, etc just have NO time.
I confess total ignorance of the why's and how's of Twitter. Like cleaning out a messy attic, I am trying to de-clutter techno-stuff as much as possible. Next? The TV and possibly land line...OUT THEY GO!
Profile Image
Twitter would work well in the situation you mentioned...especially newer/younger BX'ers. I am doing a swap with young B'ham bookcrosser, DryKid.
Profile Image
After discovering how it works - it took me a while! - I know like it a lot more than Facebook, and like Lyzzybee think it's a great place to talk about and advertise BookCrossing!
Profile Image
I am kind of addicted to twitter also! I find it extremely useful to follow my friends’ news updates and also get quality information about almost everything. I actually replaced newspapers and TV with Google reader and twitter and get as much information as I can handle.
Profile Image
In Greece we have created a twitter account managed by a few bookcrossers in order to tweet news, meetups, useful information and recently catches: http://twitter.com/BookcrossinGr. It is mostly in Greek I am afraid but I am amazed of many non-bookcrossers follow the account and are very interested in our activities!

We took the initiative of using the #booktuesday hashtag (http://hashtags.org/). Every Tuesday we suggest a book that we either read or like. We write title, author and #booktuesday. A comment on the book is also welcome! If it is part of a bookring, bookray or RABCK we add the #bookcrossing.
Profile Image
> #booktuesday hashtag

Can you explain a little more about how that works? I'm lost.
Profile Image
> > #booktuesday hashtag
>
> Can you explain a little more about how that works? I'm
> lost.

Hashtags are a way of finding all posts on a particular topic (when you use a hashtag it is in some way linked to other posts the hash creates a link to that word within the post itself)

I find hashtags confusing though (i forget to add them!) and don't often use them since I have found it isn't always necessary to use hashtags and can search on a subject(say - booktuesday for example) without bothering with tags. http://search.twitter.com/ Although it is useful to be able to click on the #booktuesday within a post and see all other posts relating to this topic.

It took me a little while to get used to Twitter until I started following people - I must say now I find it far more useful than Facebook (I was never really interested in all of the applications) and since I've downloaded the client, Tweetdeck - it opened up a whole new world to me & now I can organise my tweets easily :)

(it's also very very addictive...)

Profile Image
> (it's also very very addictive...)

So true!

@lyzzybee, @Molyneux @caligula03 @skyring @weebly @mallary I am following :)! I am with the same nick at all web 2 applications (http://twitter.com/mafaldaq). Anyone else?

>I searched Twitter for BookCrossing and I see a lot of posts (tweets?) that say they came from the web, but some say from TweetDeck

@solittletime and @moem: Well yeap these are different applications that you can use to tweet. Txt is for tweets from mobile phones and web is when you use a browser. You can try different ones in order to find which one is best for you. I prefer tweetr for my macbook and tweetdeck for my pc. I use their site to tweet but it is kind of difficult to refresh the page constantly in order to see new tweets. Especially if you are working on something else.
Profile Image
I joined a few local groups - and she started following me and jut posted a message to our local Yahoo group introducing herself :)
Profile Image
That's great! And I agree about the # before the bookcrossing! We might make it someday and have bookcrossing at the trending topics :)!
Profile Image
> http://twitter.com/BookcrossinGr

Now, the account will tweet in English. So, you're more than welcome to follow us if you're interested in our activities and of course the next 5th Greek Bookcrossing Convention.
Profile Image
at home with flu and been cheered up no end by listening to BCer JimOnTheRadio on BBC SHropshire radio, and tweeting with JIm, Mallary and other listeners! Here is Jim Hawkins on Twitter - tell him molyneux66 sent you! ;)
http://twitter.com/jiminthemorning/
Profile Image
I just signed up for Twitter a few days ago. I also thought it would be a good idea to tweet about books that I release.
Profile Image
I have managed to work it into posts to local groups etc so it's all raising awareness really. Oh, and I send my Tweets to facebook now so that saves me posting there too!
Profile Image
I don't really know anyone else who Twitters though, so I only have two followers, a girl who I have no idea who she is who started following me immediately, and Meg Cabot! I started following her and then she added me. Though it may actually be her publicity person or something.

When I told my 18 year old daughter I had joined Twitter, she said "what's twitter?". My 15 year old said she's heard of it, but only because you hear about stars using it in the news.
Profile Image
You need to start searching for people - look who other people are following etc. I joined weeks before I worked out how to use it.

I found lots of interesting people to follow - including some publishers, journals and theatres - take a look at who I follow and you'll see what I mean.

I'm molyneux66 on twitter
Profile Image
I think I'm following 12 others right now. I'm not so worried about racking up followers since I'm not posting a lot of updates myself, but I had read an article on TVGuide.com about their favorites, and that's when I decided to join. So I'm slowing checking out others to follow. I'll look you up!
Profile Image
I searched Twitter for BookCrossing and I see a lot of posts (tweets?) that say they came from the web, but some say from TweetDeck, or Tweetie, or Twibble, or Twitterfeed, or TwitPic, or TwitterFon, or TwitKit, or twitxr, or DestroyTwitter, or twhirl, or FriendFeed, or BeTwittered, or CoTweet... etc.

What are these? I don't understand...
Profile Image
But why wouldn't you just post from their website? That's what I don't understand.
Profile Image
> But why wouldn't you just post from their
> website? That's what I don't understand.

I don't use Twitter, so I'm not sure, but I do use LiveJournal and I've used special software for posting to that, too.
The software may have extra features, or it may work better on a mobile device. Maybe it works quicker, too. Doing something through a webpage isn't always preferrable.

I can see how it would be practical to use a plugin for a different kind of software that you may have running anyway; for example, an instant messaging program. I would not be surprised if there was at least one Twitter plugin available for the instant messaging software I use (Miranda IM).
Profile Image
...the article very informative - and entertaining; the "spreadtweet" application tickled me immensely!

[I'm not saying I never will tweet, but since I never did instant-messaging it's possible I'll skip tweeting as well, and see what comes along next {wry grin}.]

Side note: there have been a couple of cute "Pickles" strips about Twitter lately:

http://comics.com/---/2009-05-05/

http://comics.com/---/2009-05-06/

And I got a kick out of this one on blogs:

http://comics.com/---/2009-05-04/
Profile Image
...and I found this on twitter - a restaurant where some of us spent a lovely evening just before the London Convention last April....remember Gory?

http://twitter.com/SJRestaurant

Just found it tonight! lol
Profile Image
> But why wouldn't you just post from their website?
> That's what I don't understand.

Its a lot easier to sort your 'tweets' through a client - I use tweetdeck and love it! It's made twittering a lot easier for me. I like it far more than Facebook and find it more useful too - socially and for work.

There is so much on twitter - I like its simplicity and lack of applications. So many celebs (if you like that kind of thing - I'm not too bothered) but authors too and I found lots useful for work - literary sites, journals, theatres etc. I have to admit it did take me a little while before it all'clicked' !

Look me up - I'm molyneux66 on twitter
Profile Image
> I'm pussreboots on twitter.

I'm following you!

Twitter is fascinating. half text, half chat, half blog, half forum. The hashtags and a good front end make it easy to see what's happening in the twitterverse. I also like listening to Jim on the radio, seeing the comments of listeners and Jim himself responding on Twitter and on the radio.

A curious soup of one-liners, retweets, followdays, hashes and tweeple. Strange twibes roam around the ether, and now and then a nine day wander, such as Twitchhiker will surface. Celebrities post up their thoughts, followers are counted, advertising is sketched out and URL-shortening services live again!

It's fascinating to bea part of this evolving technology.
Profile Image
@skyring I really love the way that you describe the twitter use! And I totally agree! I think I will tweet that :)!

I find myself trying to evaluate information constantly and then thinking "Is that worth tweeting it?" and if I answer yes then the information is more important to me.

Profile Image
Addictive, and does a great job to keep you updated with everything, in real-time.
Profile Image
> Addictive, and does a great job to keep you updated with
> everything, in real-time.

It does - and I'm now following you!
Profile Image
He is quite chatty - and posted a message of about how excited he was to find his shooter in the garage and that he'd got it out and would use it later...

Now I was a bit surprised and not a little bemused at this - and a few minutes later he posted an apology to say he wasn't into shooters and he was very sorry but what he meant was his scooter! (the one pictured on an early Jamie cookbook) lol
Profile Image
> I'm pussreboots on twitter.

I just added you to my 'follows'. (mallarybc)
Profile Image
I use Tweetdeck also. They are all various apps used to update Twitter and any friends that are following you there, and also other sites as well. Like Tweetdeck works together with Facebook. I'm jhante on twitter.
Profile Image
it will come up easily in a search! They're called hashtags in Twit-english.
Profile Image
I am weebly_one on there (as weebly had already been taken) and I also use the tweetdeck application to manage twitter at home. I have a column on there which tells me whenever someone mentions bookcrossing in a tweet so I can comment or friend the person.
Profile Image
> I am weebly_one on there (as weebly had already been
> taken) and I also use the tweetdeck application to manage
> twitter at home. I have a column on there which tells me
> whenever someone mentions bookcrossing in a tweet so I
> can comment or friend the person.

I do that too Weebs! I only really 'got into' Twitter after I downloaded Tweetdeck - all of a sudden it made sense!
Profile Image
I'm 101ofawolf, been on Twitter for six months or so. I tweet when I am bookcrossing, mostly when I am travelling with work. I also tweet occasionally about books I'm reading/passing on - I'm trying to read or re-read everything I own in the next two years. :)
Profile Image
I'm trying to read or re-read
> everything I own in the next two years. :)

Goodness - the best of luck with this!!! ;)
Profile Image
You can find him @followyournose - he was already following some of you, and has just followed a bunch more.

Amazingly, we found out about a catch through Twitter on Friday - it's the catcher's first experience of BookCrossing, and she seems quite impressed ("How cool, a read and pass it on type thing") but hasn't yet made a JE. Here's her profile:

http://twitter.com/rachlv

I'll tell Watson about the hashtags - I'm sure he'll be up for #booktuesday tomorrow, and he can use #bookcrossing quite often.
Profile Image
> I'm sure he'll
> be up for #booktuesday tomorrow, and he
> can use #bookcrossing quite often.

I just did my #booktuesday tweets and I was coming for a reminder :P! Nice though!
Profile Image
Let me know your Twitter names and I will follow you too. :o)
Profile Image
You can see the twitter widget on my BC page. Using twitter I can update my Facebook page and my BC page at the same time!
Profile Image
Anyone play Farm Town on FB? If so, I'd love to be neighbors. If you don't, then don't start, it's addictive!
Profile Image
Please feel free to connect with me there. It will be fun to be more in contact with some of my BC compatriots. :)
Profile Image
I'm really loving twitter, and I'm definitely addicted!!

I'm following some of you already, but I'm always so happy when I see there are so many BCers using it, and more joining. =)
Profile Image
I'm janeycanuck, feel free to follow! (and I'm following a bunch of you now!)
Profile Image
I tweet as ThymeWaits & you'll hear lots about my garden....
Profile Image
I'm grubsneerg there, too. Haven't quite figured out what/when/why to tweet, but feel free to watch :)
Profile Image
> I'm grubsneerg there, too. Haven't quite figured out
> what/when/why to tweet, but feel free to watch: )

It took me a little while to get used to it too - it all kind of clicked when I downloaded Tweetdeck, it sorts the tweets for you and then it all made more sense!
Profile Image
... about how downloading the application allows it to have access to all the files on your computer. I definitely don't want to allow that. Anyone else get that message?
Profile Image
> ... about how downloading the application allows it to
> have access to all the files on your computer. I
> definitely don't want to allow that. Anyone else get that
> message?

No, but now I think I might want to uninstall it! I have it on my work PC, not on my home. I'll install now and report back if I got that message.

ETA: I got a box that popped up that said the application may access my file system and the internet, which may put my computer at risk. I understand it needs to access the internet to work but not sure why it would need my file system.
Profile Image
...before I downloaded it and not one suggested it was a security risk
Profile Image
Profile Image
I'm melydia on twitter and everywhere. It's a lot of fun. I, too, like it better than Facebook.
Profile Image
I joined it last week, but I already deleted my account. Two reasons: (1) I was starting to be followed by unknown accounts who were probably trying to sell something -- sure, I could block them, but what a time-waster; and (2) everyone I followed (except for BCer elle311, who is very cool) just posted links instead of sticking to 140 characters. The short length of entries was Twitter's draw for me; I am NOT a link-clicker.
Profile Image
Thanks for the nice words, my friend! I was going to ask you to join the BC twibe that Mallary started and saw you were no longer there. At least I can still email you because I usually have more than 140 characters worth of stuff to say to you anyway ;)
Profile Image
I'm totally confused by twitter so far. Haven't a clue what I'm doing and why my replies don't show up on the pages of the people I replied to...
Profile Image
since my name was already taken there. I follow a lot of BCer's mentioned and love reading about the other parts of their lives beside BC. Because of twitter I know:

melydia is super smart
katekintail is LOL funny
Skyring is a poet
Antof9 loves grammar geeks
janeycanuck has a way with words when describing the delicious food she is about to enjoy
LyzzyBee has a great profile pic

I was already following grubsneerg's blog, so was excited to see her there too.

This is my favorite time sink of the moment and unfortunately, it is seriously cutting into my BC forum time!

Profile Image
> melydia is super smart

Ha! You fell for it!

;)
Profile Image
Which is great for those of us English speakers (like me!) who don't speak much more than a smattering of French & a few words of German! :)
Profile Image
an other superfun of twitter here, tweeting as bunnysuicides (http://twitter.com/bunnysuicides. i'll try to find you!
Profile Image
I tweet what book I'm reading on Tuesday, and I go back on Wed. and search the subject to get new ideas of what to read.
Profile Image
There's a useful search tool which i use to bring up all things connected with BookCrossing

http://search.twitter.com/search?...
Profile Image
every week, but I seem to be releasing every day except Sunday, for some reason. Will try again this week.

(Can't remember who started #bookxsunday and I couldn't find it by search.)
Profile Image
Is that supposed to be compilation of books released during the week?
Didn't get any hits searching, but that doesn't mean we can't start the subject :)
Profile Image
but I'm not the one who started it.
Profile Image
I did my part & posted with #bookxsunday tag. I seem to be the only one ...
Profile Image
And I see that grubsneerg posted too
Profile Image
> And I see that grubsneerg posted too

Yes, thanks for the reminder, ThymeWaits!
Profile Image
But fun too - I really only do Twitter & Facebook now. I'm molyneux66 on both
Profile Image
If anyone else is using it to post what they're currently reading, please add me so I can add you. I love having ideas of what to look for in books! (I I don't have them already! LOL)

http://twitter.com/daedelys

If you're tweeter page doesn't say you're a BCer, send me a message so I know. I've noticed I get all kinds of spammers following me already! LOL I just ignore them but let them follow me. Maybe I can recommend them on something good to read! :D
Profile Image
I post what I'm currently reading on Tuesdays with the #booktuesday hashtag. Looking forward to your tweets!
Profile Image
that will tell you what people are reading on Tuesday. I've used it for ideas.
Profile Image
I just discovered what the # means a couple of days ago, so it's cool that I understood your post! LOL I'll definitely be saving it as a favorite search! Thanks!
Profile Image
there's #musicmonday where you say what you're listening to, and #followfriday where you list people you think other people might like to follow with an @ in front of the name, like @grubsneerg @molyneux66, so that post shows up on that person's feed. there must be something for wednesdays, thursdays, and saturdays, too, but i haven't bothered to search to find out what they are!
Profile Image
Plan to try to do #booktuesday, #bookxsunday, and post a link to the Go Hunting pages for my releases as well under #bookcrossing.

But... I find it takes so much time. Can't imagine how people do more twittering, and FaceBook or MySpace, and Live Journal or other blogs, and post their pix to Flickr, and, and...

Just that small amount of twittering through the BookCrossing Twibe is enough (or maybe too much) for me.

ETA: By the way, I'm bookcrossingfan on Twitter and Twibes, since solittletime was already taken.
Profile Image
maybe I'll post anyway
Profile Image
Join twitter, even downloaded the TweetDeck. I'm on there as MidnyteTears.
Profile Image
I've been tweeting some of my reading, a catch or two, and also our Lower Mainland Bookcrossing Meetup date reminders. (British Columbia, Canada)
Sometimes I do Book Tuesday, Sunday. Will work on remembering to do those every week!
We have a BookCrossing meeting tonight; will ask about setting up a Twitter ID for our group.
On Twitter, I'm mdiane_rogers.
Best wishes,
eicuthbertson
Profile Image
you can find me as Reader420 there too!
Profile Image

I tweet too!

I am crystalsp over there. I am relatively quiet though.
Profile Image
The Oakville Ontario bokcrossing group met today & that's where my books went. Yes, I updated on Twitter.
Profile Image
Link is on my profile. Appreciate any fellow BCers tweets :)
Profile Image
I'm pretty new to BC, but loving it. Have done a few wild releases, have logged a lot of "to be read" books, and when I eventually get the boxes down from the loft will have loads more to release.
Profile Image
I've just followed a stack of you (I'd say all, but it's possible I missed one or two... if that's the case, tweet me that you're a BCer!).

Have only starting using the Twitter lists, but have a BookCrossing one that I've listed you all under. Happy tweeting & releasing!
Profile Image
Ooh, I want to start a twitter just for my releases and finds now. I've not done any bookcrossing in a long while, but I've recently found some of my old merch and I'm thinking I should get back into it again. :)
Profile Image
I'm thinking I should get back into it again. :)

That sounds like a great idea! Welcome back.

I twitter my releases too. I'm bookcrossingfan on twitter, since solittletime was already taken.
Profile Image
Consider me intrigued. I have not had much success w/ wild releases, but I do use twitter mostly for local news/politics & lifestyle things. Perhaps the two could be combined (twitter & bxing) for successful catches? I should try this....

btw, I'm here_in_tc on twitter.

***p.s. I was also totally curious what the 'tweetdeck' was, because I have friends who use it a lot on fcbk...so this thread answered that question too!
Profile Image
Perhaps the two could be combined (twitter & bxing) for successful catches?

Well, I'm not sure that I've gotten any more catches because of it, but I always figure someone might just find out about BookCrossing because of my twittering of releases.

By the way, did you see that twitter was hacked a day or two ago? Hope it is safe to go back there.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.