corner corner Which books would you reread because you liked them so much?

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Which books would you reread because you liked them so much?

I have a HUGE list of books I would love to reread because I enjoyed reading them so much the first time around!

I've gone ahead and chosen a quick list of both nonfiction and fiction books that I would like to rediscover once again.... Twenty books in all... Believe me I could have listed many more books!

1. Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior by Temple Grandin

2. The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

3. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

4. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

5. East of Eden by John Steinbeck

6. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

7. The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance That Changed the World by Sue Woolmans & Greg King
8. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi

9. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

10. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

11. This Common Secret by Susan Wicklund

12. My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem

13. The Soloist by Steve Lopez

14. Power of the Habit by Charles Duhigg

15. The Forty Fathom Bank by Les Galloway

16. People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

17. The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

18. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Burrows and Mary Ann Shaffer

19. The Scent of God by Beryl Singleton Bissell

20. Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession, and How Desire Shapes the World by Aja Raden

Share some of the books you'd like to reread.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have a HUGE list of books I would love to reread because I enjoyed reading them so much the first time around!

I've gone ahead and chosen a quick list of both nonfiction and fiction books that I would like to rediscover once again.... Twenty books in all... Believe me I could have listed many more books!

1. Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior by Temple Grandin

2. The Master & Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov

3. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

4. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

5. East of Eden by John Steinbeck

6. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

7. The Assassination of the Archduke: Sarajevo 1914 and the Romance That Changed the World by Sue Woolmans & Greg King
8. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi

9. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert

10. The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

11. This Common Secret by Susan Wicklund

12. My Life on the Road by Gloria Steinem

13. The Soloist by Steve Lopez

14. Power of the Habit by Charles Duhigg

15. The Forty Fathom Bank by Les Galloway

17. The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

18. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Burrows and Mary Ann Shaffer

19. The Scent of God by Beryl Singleton Bissell

20. Stoned: Jewelry, Obsession, and How Desire Shapes the World by Aja Raden

Share some of the books you'd like to reread.
Profile Image
Oh, lots! Jane Austen's works hit my must-re-read-now button pretty often; other classics pop up now and then, including Middlemarch, Vanity Fair, many of Trollope's novels, Dickens (especially Bleak House)...

Lord of the Rings is another often-re-read book - and, come to think of it, it's been a while; might be time to dive into it again!

I go through moods of favorite-ghost-stories (M. R. James, E. F. Benson), favorite fantasy/SF (Zenna Henderson, Ray Bradbury), the always-entertaining Discworld series, the unique Good Omens...

Now I wonder which of my most recent favorites are going to become re-reads down the line!
Profile Image
Lord of the Rings has been reread many times. Or rather listened to.

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova has been read twice and I'll probably read it again.

The Earth's Children series (Clan of the Cavebear ++) by Jean M. Auel is to be reread.

I might reread the books about the street cat Bob as well.
Profile Image
read for the first time! But I have read the Outlander series twice, and over the past year started a reread from the beginning, though with other books in between. I can't think of anything specific I'd like to reread, but occasionally I'll come across a book I read a long time ago and I'll toss it on the TBR pile to read again at some point.
Profile Image
But I have read the Outlander series twice

Oh, yes, the Outlander series is great! I've read some of it, and especially loved the first book. I should continue reading this series, but a bunch of other books has somehow come in between!
Profile Image
Oooo, I love the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon!! I forgot to include this one as well.
Profile Image
read for the first time! But I have read the Outlander series twice, and over the past year started a reread from the beginning, though with other books in between. I can't think of anything specific I'd like to reread, but occasionally I'll come across a book I read a long time ago and I'll toss it on the TBR pile to read again at some point.

Time is my issue too! Although I have several that I collected all in the series, in the hope that eventually I can read through them in one swoop this time. The Outlander series is one. I also have Mule Hollow by Debra Clopton, Cedar Cover by Debbie Macomber, a few series by Stephanie Laurens, and Linda Lael Miller's Stone Creek ones.

Single ones....I'm trying not to hold on to them, as they're so readily available from the library, particularly on Kindle, if I just can't wait until the next bookmobile run!
Profile Image
It's not always solely about the book itself, it's often the way I develop some soft spot for books for other reasons. For example books I loved to read as a child or books I read under specific circumstances and are forever linked to a specific place or period of time or to specific people and so on...

Some of my most re-read books are:

The Treasure Island by R.L. Stevenson
World of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Irish Folk and Fairy Tales by Michael Scott

Jules Verne's books
Salman Rushdie's books
Alki Zei's books
Maeve Binchy's books
Christos Chomenidis' books

and many many more....
Profile Image
The Gormenghast Trilogy
East of Eden
Anything by Fannie Flagg when I want something heart-warming, quick, funny
Emma by Jane Austen used to be a favourite but I'm a bit tired of it now
American Gods - currently re-reading
One Hundred Years of Solitude
The Master and Margarita is on my pile for a re-read: in fact the first time I read it in French; this time it will be in English but I don't like the translation much, but I will pick it up again.
Silk by Alessandro Baricco, have read a few times.

There are so many more. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, What Katy Did... the Zola Rougon Maquart series, all Thomas Hardy...
Profile Image
Funny how classics like East of Eden and The Master & Margarita are ones people want to reread over time! I know I want to reread both of these novels again... Maybe this year??
Profile Image
re-reading:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
all of the books in the Harry Potter series
Joy in the Morning by Betty Smith
Shrader Marks: Keelhouse by Rob Smith

There are probably others, but these are off the top of my head.
Profile Image
Oooo, I haven't read any books by Ayn Rand. I'll have to check one of her books one day!
Profile Image

I’m rereading

2 series that I loved when I was younger and am enjoying them even more so this time around

The Discworld series by Terry Pratchett and
The Xanth series by Piers Anthony

I think I might re read all of Barbara Erskine books too
Profile Image
Lord Of The Rings will definitely be revisited again and again.

Three Men A Boat by Jerome K Jerome always makes me smile.

The Book Of Fame by Lloyd Jones

I am reading my way through Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey series and when I get to the end I will pick up Master And Commander and start again!
Profile Image
*Harry Potter (rereading right now)

*The "Neely Chronicles," beginning with A Short History of a Small Place, by T. R. Pearson

*Anything by Dave Barry

*Anything by Danny Wallace

There are several I have held on to in order to reread which I haven't done yet, but hope to:
*Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
*I Capture the Castle, by Dodie Smith
*The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova
Profile Image
I have I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith is in my ever growing 'to be read' pile! I need to read it sooner rather than later.
Profile Image
...with the idea of re-reading it. I read it probably 10 years ago or so, and keep thinking about it. I also plan to re-read The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I have a copy of Atlas Shrugged that I say I'm going to re-read, though I don't know if I actually will. I've been thinking of re-reading The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder. I first listened to it on audiobook soon after it came out. I can't think of any non-fiction off the top of my head.

A couple of books that I did re-read in the past few years were Couples by John Updike and The Diviners by Margaret Laurence. The first one I had first read in the 80s(or early 90s) and the second one 8 years earlier. It was definitely a good decision. It was amazing how much I had forgotten, even in The Diviners, which is one of my all-time favorite novels. I know it some times does't seem right to re-read when there are so many good books out there UN-read, but sometimes it's very rewarding.
Profile Image
Waternixie, or anyone else who's enthusiastic about the book, I'd be grateful for any remarks you'd care to offer about why you like it. I've read it once and it didn't really impress me, but I've read enough commentary about it since that I put another copy in the TBR boxes. Part of the problem may be my own ignorant expectations: faced with a book titled "The Stone XXXXX" about a girl born and growing up in a small Manitoba town, I set myself up for something like "The Stone Angel," my favourite Laurence book. Well, this isn't that, and it doesn't try to be. Knowing what other thoughtful readers have seen in this book will help me be more watchful on my next pass.
Profile Image
The Age of Innocence, The Great Gatsby, A Christmas Carol, Agatha Christie, Dorothy L Sayers, Dorothy Simpson, Miss Read, Anne Perry. I could go on but I’d bore you. There are many of my books about books that I re-read or will. One of the books I loved most though and will probably never read again though is And Ladies of the Club. I’m afraid it wouldn’t be the same enchantment for me and I’m afraid to risk losing the magic I still feel towards that book.
Profile Image
Elizabeth is Missing
The Five People You meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
On the Beach and A Town Like Alice by Neville Shute
The Testament by John Grisham
Evening Class by Maeve Binchy
My Sisters Keeper-Jodi Picoult
Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
Ladies Detective Agency series Alexander McCall Smith
Profile Image
Ladies Detective Agency series Alexander McCall Smith

How could I have forgotten to include those in my list? Our church sends study books to a school in Zimbabwe and I included some McCall Smith's in our last parcel. The kids are devouring them!
Profile Image
From your list, I could totally read these two again:

I've read Little Women many times and Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged twice each. I re-read LOTR when I heard the movies were being made but would not mind doing it again.

There are three trilogies I'd love to read again:
1) Forty Signs of Rain (Science in the Capital #1) and the two follow on books, "Fifty Degrees Below", and "Sixty Days and Counting".
2) Another Kim Stanley Robinson trilogy, also known as "Three Californias' trilogy: "The Wild Shore", "The Gold Coast", and "Pacific Edge" (also could be described as the post-apocalyptic, the dystopia, and the utopia). Excellent!
3) "The Passage" trilogy by Justin Cronin, a post-apocalyptic and scary near-future story that takes place in the US and is excellent all the way through. https://www.amazon.com/s/?...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.