corner corner History of Iran?

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

History of Iran?

Today I was at an art museum with my husband and saw some pieces from ancient Iran. Some depicted Dionysus/Bacchus and I was very confused. That made me realize my astounding ignorance of the history of pretty much every other country on the planet. (Stupid America-centric education.) I'd like to work on fixing that and I want to start with Iran.

Anyone have any recommendations, by any chance?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Today I was at an art museum with my husband and saw some pieces from ancient Iran. Some depicted Dionysus/Bacchus and I was very confused. That made me realize my astounding ignorance of the history of pretty much every other country on the planet. (Stupid America-centric education.) I'd like to work on fixing that and I want to start with Iran.

Anyone have any recommendations, by any chance?
Profile Image
I have no specific recommendations, I'm afraid, though I've read the odd biography and some novels set in ancient Persia and surrounds - not much of a history, though it did help remind me what you observed in the museum, that there's a lot of cross-cultural influence that isn't obvious from modern-day national boundaries! (I recall reading a very good manga series set in ancient Anatolia, and having several different "aha!" moments as I learned that it mapped to modern-day Turkey, that that's where the Biblical Hittites were from, that they had a long and... interesting... relationship with Egypt...)
Profile Image
I'm not sure about ancient Iranian history but Anita Amirrezvani's books may give you an idea of life in Iran after it's revolution in 1979.
Profile Image
The only one by Amirrezvani that I've read was *The Blood of Roses* and it was wonderful! I actually listened to it as an audiobook and the reader was an actress from Iran. I found her accent lovely and it gave such an authentic feel to the story. There was an author interview at the end and the author is from LA, if I am remembering correctly and has no accent! This book, by the way, took place in seventeenth century Persia. Google it!

Hi Firegirl!! :-)
Profile Image
May I suggest James Clavell's Whirlwind?
Profile Image
The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah tells the tale of the elder who runs the mosque in a small town, hankering after the simpler life before the Shah, only to be confronted with the revolution...
Profile Image
Are you looking for the history of modern-day Iran, or the history of the Persian empire?

If the former, you could start here: https://www.newyorker.com/---/laura-secor-six-essential-books-on-iran

If the latter, try Herodotus.
Profile Image
It may not be exactly what you're looking for - it's a biography done in the way fo a graphic novel, rather than a history book - but I thought Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi was superb. (There's also a movie).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persepolis_(comics)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.