corner corner [Results in!! Can we go ahead and call it a tie?!] Unbound Worlds Cage Match 2018

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

[Results in!! Can we go ahead and call it a tie?!] Unbound Worlds Cage Match 2018

Contestants have been announced but voting doesn't start until March 5th!
http://www.unboundworlds.com/---/the-books-behind-the-battles-introducing-cage-match-2018

Temeraire, Murderbot, and Loiosh! How can I choose which of my well-loved characters to come out triumphant?!! I can't look!

Match page:
http://www.unboundworlds.com/---/cage-match-2018

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Contestants have been announced but voting doesn't start until March 5th!
http://www.unboundworlds.com/---/the-books-behind-the-battles-introducing-cage-match-2018/

Temeraire, Murderbot, and Loiosh! How can I choose which of my well-loved characters to come out triumphant?!! I can't look!

Match page:
http://www.unboundworlds.com/cage-match-2018/
Profile Image
Oh, there are some fabulous - and difficult - matches there!

Temeraire vs. Cthulhu? (Gotta go with Cthulhu on that one, though Temeraire might be clever enough to wangle an eldritch tome from somewhere for the edge.)

Calcifer vs. the Librarian: well, the Librarian should win handily, what with all his experience with nasty magical things.

Pennywise vs. Shelob? That's a match I'd like to watch! (Rooting for Shelob there.)

But I guess I'll have to wait to see the actual writeups before voting...
Profile Image
Yeah, the write-ups are fun! As are the stories they get some of the writers to pen for the matches!
Profile Image
Aslan vs. The Shrike? The Shrike will tear Aslan to pieces, but he'll come back stronger than ever.
Profile Image
I can’t say I know much about the Shrike (Hyperion is on my list of books to read!) but can it kill a god? I’m sure it can, as you mentioned, obliterate Aslan’s earthly (Narnian) body but soul/essence?

So, I guess it comes down to the Cage Match rules of what constitutes a win. And as Gorydetails mentioned, we’ll have to see the write ups.

I’m thinking way too much into this lol but it’s fun!

I feel for Loiosh! What can he do against any of the others? Kill them with snark? ! Lol but I do love him! Well, he does have a poisonous bite, but is it poisonous to these characters?
Profile Image
Voting has begun! I'm enjoying the match-stories immensely, though I don't always agree with the results. I recommend the one featuring Calcifer vs. the Librarian, which is hilarious. "Calm yourself, Mrs. Ogg!"

Match page here:

Profile Image

Oh, no! Temeraire's chances don't look great... but I'm pulling for you my love!

And, yes Mrs. Ogg! -Snort- How can either Calcifer or the Librarian win? They are too evenly matched! Hahahaha!

Profile Image
Some great contenders there, although I'm glad for the reading guide since I'm unfamiliar with roughly a third of the players.

(Was it Spatial or Gory who mentioned Lent Madness here on BC in the past? I'd forgotten about it but it's the right time of year for that too, isn't it? I know virtually nothing about the majority of the saints involved, but it's always educational.)
Profile Image
...which doesn't help in nudging the voting results! And it's not always the match that I'd have *expected* to be a draw, either; guess it depends on the individual writer and how they felt on the day. The ones I like best are true to the characters in-story, even if they show a strong bias for one or the other. (And I did vote against the story's conclusion in a few cases, when the story didn't convince me!)
Profile Image
@GoryDetails - Mostly I go by the stats especially for characters I'm not familiar with.

@hyphen8 - Wasn't me for the Lent Madness, that's the first I've heard of it. :)
Also, I'm the same with the characters. There are more in this year's cage match that I'm familiar with than in last year's. About 1/3 I've read, 1/3 on wishlisht and 1/3 that either brushed my radar or are new to me!

I think I was suprised at some of the characters being too alike, ex Murderbot looking for peace and quiet and the Last Unicorn that is all for peace and such and then Deep Thought vs Sidra. :)
Then the 2 dragons were both matched up against tentacled creatures from the water.

The Special Attacks were not as funny as last year. Maybe Agrajag's 'Being in the wrong place at the wrong time' lol even though that's more of a disadvantage than anything else. We'll see how that progresses as the competition continues. :/
Profile Image
@hyphen8 - Wasn't me for the Lent Madness, that's the first I've heard of it. :)

lentmadness.org for anyone who's interested: as neither a Catholic or an Episcopalian/Anglican, I know nothing about most of the "saints" featured, but the bios make for for interesting reading.
Profile Image
I voted for 10 of 16 winners, although I was sad to see my favorite polar bear and one of my favorite computers lose...
Profile Image
Not so great. :( Temeraire and Murderbot were defeated. Only Loiosh survived the first round and if they don’t mix up the playing field I think he’s up against Pennywise next. Creepy!

My votes vs the outcomes are all over the place! Hahaha
Profile Image
Mine did pretty well, except that I'd hoped Shelob would beat Pennywise. But the next round will be difficult for me, as Harry Dresden's big dog Mouse is up against the Discworld's Librarian, and I love them both! Am thinking maybe someone will distract the Librarian with peanuts, giving Mouse the edge - he's not easily distracted by anything, as far as I recall...
Profile Image

Round 2!

I'm still pulling for Loiosh! Poor fella, having to face Pennywise is just too horrible! You can do it Loiosh, don't be fooled!

Mouse and the Librarian does sound like a fun match! The story from the last round with the Librarian was too fun!
Profile Image
And they're... interesting; I can't argue with them, though I do wish the original seeding hadn't pitted so many of my favorite characters against each other.
Profile Image

Round 3!

I haven’t had the chance to read through the stories, yet.

There is also a sweepstakes!
http://www.unboundworlds.com/---/cage-match-2018-sweepstakes/
They are giving away all the books featuring our beloved contestants. And they are also giving away a box of mystery swag! Unfortunately, only available to US residents.
Profile Image
The Librarian has taken down Cthulhu!

And my dear sweet Loiosh's poison has let him down. :(

Down to the final 4!
The Librarian vs War
and
Oberon vs Drogon

Who do you think will make it to the final round? Round 4 opens in 3 days!
Profile Image
I've enjoyed reading the various stories, but I confess to sometimes voting with my heart over my head! At this point I'm pulling for the Librarian to take it all, though logically speaking he would have probably escaped from the tournament before now, to relax in his beloved library...
Profile Image
Same! I vote from my heart except where I haven’t read either book for a match.

Right now it looks like the final match will come Down to the Librarian and Oberon. Could be interesting!
Profile Image
It actually sounds kinda boring to me. Oberon will be all "Want a sausage?", and the Librarian will just say "ook".
Profile Image
Yes, but with a single 'Ook' he can say so much! ;)
Profile Image
Yes, of course. But I just don't see them competing with each other in any meaningful way.
Profile Image
Right now it looks like the final match will come Down to the Librarian and Oberon. Could be interesting!

Looks like you called it! I'm definitely a Librarian fan - but given that he's up against Oberon, I'm wondering if he'll bring Gaspode the Wonder Dog in for a little backup...
Profile Image
Looks like you called it! I'm definitely a Librarian fan - but given that he's up against Oberon, I'm wondering if he'll bring Gaspode the Wonder Dog in for a little backup...

Was an easy call seeing as how the voting wasn’t close, at all :)
Oh man! I don’t remember Gaspode! I’m a bad Discworld fan!
Profile Image

Oh goodness!

It's getting tougher! Looks like I'm voting half for underdogs.
Profile Image
It's getting tougher! Looks like I'm voting half for underdogs.

My favorite stories are the ones that don't declare a winner; one of these explicitly referred to voting with one's heart over any logical interpretation of a likely winner, and that's clearly how things have been going {wry grin}. I did enjoy the Oberon vs. Drogon story; nice to see the poor critters having a nice time for once...
Profile Image

Well...

I think they could have chosen an author who was not one of the final 2 contestants' author. Strange.

I ended up voting for the underdog, at the time. But I guess not that many people have voted yet because it changed the percentage dramatically! Oh well! They are both fun characters even though this contest is the first time I've met Oberon.
Profile Image
I think they could have chosen an author who was not one of the final 2 contestants' author. Strange.

Yeah, that seemed odd. Is he one of the organizers of the event itself? I didn't go digging into the credits.

While I have enjoyed the "Oberon" stories during the contests, it wasn't enough to make me want to read the books. But I really did like the way this one changed a confrontation into a collaboration - even if it makes it rather nonsensical to vote for one over the other...
Profile Image
As I said above, I couldn't see these two competing in any meaningful way.

I voted for the undersimian, just because.

Profile Image
Haha too close. I call a tie!

GoryDetails - I enjoyed Oberon as well, but I too don’t feel compelled to read the book.

AwesomeAud - I can see what you mean about the two not interacting in a meaningful way. I think a different writer could have imagined something more interesting but in the end the characters were a little too similar and too well loved for there to be a different outcome. Oh well, maybe next year we’ll see a more action packed competition.

Everyone - I too enjoyed the stories! Thanks guys for chiming in with your thoughts and sharing your choices and/or favorites!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.