corner corner It's time for the February Readathon!

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

It's time for the February Readathon!

I must be having fun because time is flying and our readathon begins this week. 23 February - 2 March.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 22 February at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 23 February in your timezone. We will read for 7 full days and nights and stop when Thursday 1 March 2359 pm becomes Friday 2 March in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I must be having fun because time is flying and our readathon begins this week. 23 February - 2 March.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 22 February at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 23 February in your timezone. We will read for 7 full days and nights and stop when Thursday 1 March 2359 pm becomes Friday 2 March in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.
Profile Image
If I can do it two months in a row, I'll up my challenge in March. Who's with me?
Profile Image
I will try to read 12 hours this time. Hopefully I'll do better this month.
Profile Image
I'll also try to finish at least 3 books.
Profile Image
Back to my one hour a day target this month. I’d like to finish at least one book too. Probably the one I have just started!
Profile Image

I'm in!

Aiming for 12 hrs.
Profile Image
I'll try for 14 hours also!
Profile Image
I won't set myself a goal, so I won't stress about it (too much). But I'll track and see how far I've come, I enjoy it that way :)

Day 1: 5,5 hours
Day 2: 4h and 58 mins
Day 3: 1h and 49 mins
Day 4: 20 mins
Day 5: 2 hours and 20 mins
Day 6: 5 hours and 50 mins
Day 7: 1,5 hours
Profile Image

yeah!

Good time to finish out the partial stash, I hope
Profile Image
Think I need to pass this month.

I'm already distracted by the Olympics, and I have a lot of work to do updating info for the family reunion happening on March 3!!

I need to NOT OPEN MY BROWSER and work on that instead. :s
Profile Image
It won't be the same without you! :(
Profile Image
Think I need to pass this month.

I'm already distracted by the Olympics, and I have a lot of work to do updating info for the family reunion happening on March 3!!

I need to NOT OPEN MY BROWSER and work on that instead. :s

Aww...
But have fun with the family reunion!
Profile Image
Hyphen8, you will be missed.
Profile Image

I'm in too!

Almost missed it, but I haven't read anything yet today. I'll aim for 10 hrs.
My current read is The Rosie Project and on audio (still) Airborn.
Profile Image
Almost missed it, but I haven't read anything yet today. I'll aim for 10 hrs.
My current read is The Rosie Project and on audio (still) Airborn.

Loved The Rosie Project - delightfully different.
Profile Image
home with the flu, so when not sleeping, I'm reading

Listened to a bit more of Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14908554

and because I needed a bit of lighter fare Out on a Limb by Victoria Pade http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6907005
Profile Image
I'm listening to The Other Einstein by Marie Benedict in the car, and reading Body Movers by Stephanie Bond on paper.
Profile Image
Not a lot but finished my audio - Dr Who: Prisoner of the Daleks
Reading D for deadbeat by Sue Grafton
Profile Image
stuck at home due to illness, so read....and read....and read....

The light one was A Letter For Annie by Laura Abbot http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7504065
And finished for book club:
Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14908554 I expect this one to have a good bit of discussion on Tuesday
Profile Image
Total of 3 hours

Wow, Nancy! That is an amazing start!
I'm sorry for the reason you have so much time to read, but awed by your numbers. Hope you feel better soon!
Profile Image
No reading at all on Friday, and the weekend just flew by. But I'm very much enjoying The Rosie Project.

NancyNova, hope you feel better soon!

Day 1: 0
Day 2: 30 mins
Day 3: 1 hr 30 mins
Profile Image
good start into the Bookray Devil-Devil

And then picked up a Plum match - Sharing Spaces. a romance set in Labrador, Canada, so good for the provinces challenge too!
Profile Image
Still not the planned hour and way behind. Hopefully will catch up during the week.

Total so far: 1 hour 55 mins
Profile Image
my readathon reading doesn't go as planned :-(

I do have some progress to share though:
Day 1, Friday 23/2: 2.5 hours
Day 2, Saturday 24/2: 0.5 hours
Day 3, Sunday 25/2: 0.5 hours

Total thus far: 3.5 hours
Profile Image
Day 1 - 2hrs 2 mins
Day 2 - 1hr 17
Day 3 - 2hrs
Total - 5hrs 19
Having a good day 4 too and not finished yet.
Listening to Bill Bryson's 'The Road to Little Dribbling' on audiobook and reading 'Cold Mountain' by Charles Frazier.
Profile Image
Total = 4 hours 45 minutes
Profile Image
Finished up the light read: Sharing Spaces, which included a lot of Labrador sights, along with a touch of romance.

Profile Image
NancyNova - you are READING! Wow.
Profile Image
Not a good start in reading time or checking in. Yes, my reading time has taken a dive. But I finally finished Fire and Fury by Michael Wolff. I won't finish another book during this readathon but am focusing on reaching 10 hours if possible.
Nice to see others having success.
Profile Image
I haven't read much the past 2 days. Work, after work appointments, fluish hubby... Everything conspires against me this month...
Reading several books, but not making much progress.

Day 4, Monday 26/2: 0.75 hours
Day 5, Tuesday 27/2: 0.5 hours

Total reading time till now: 4 hrs 45 mins.
Profile Image
However still lagging behind.

I lost my book yesterday so started another until it re-surfaces. Not much chance of finishing it if I can't read it though - hahaha.

I am also listening to around the baltic with bob by griff rhys jones finished the first CD yesterday.

Day 4 = 1 hour 5 mins
Day 5 = 1 hour

Total so far 4 Hours
Profile Image
I hope the book you lost turns up. I hate it when that happens to me, but I do the same thing as you and just start on a new one.
Profile Image
I hope the book you lost turns up. I hate it when that happens to me, but I do the same thing as you and just start on a new one.

It did thank you. My husband found it amusing it turned up under a pile of his papers :-)
Profile Image
Continuing mostly with The Red-Hot Chili Cookoff, although I wandered into a kindle romance that was free - and for a good reason. Silly, silly, silly
Profile Image

Days 1 - 5

Day 1: 1 hr. 4 min.
Day 2: 1 hr. 28 min.
Day 3: 1 hr. 13 min.
Day 4: 1 hr. 11 min.
Day 5: 2 hrs. 7 min.
Total thus far: 6 hours 7 minutes

I've been reading my devotional book...Solid Ground by Mark Finley...every morning. I read, What Creatures Teach Us, to my son for worship each night. I'm reading, The Desire of Ages by Ellen G. White, which is a wonderful book on the life of Christ. I'm also reading a mystery, The Corpse Wore Tartan by Kaitlyn Dunnett My son and I are working on finishing the book, Homer Price by Robert McCloskey. I'm also reading, Secrets of an Organized Mom by Barbara Reich. Since I'm not exactly the most organized person, I was hoping it would help me out...LOL!

My son read 3 books to me so far...they were : Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash...Bird's Best Friend...and...Bird Beaks and Other Neat Features. So, at least we finished 3 books of his, but I really wanted to finish reading 3 of my books. I don't think that will happen. I might be able to finish my mystery book, but The Desire of Ages has over 800 pages and I'm nowhere near finishing it.

I'll try to post the last two days on time. I kept forgetting to post this week. I'm glad to see everyone doing so well.

hyphen8....I hope you can join us again next month. Enjoy the Olympics and your reunion.
Profile Image
Day 4 - 4hrs 57
Day 5 - 3hrs 11
Day 6 - 3 hrs 12
Total = 16 hrs 39

Snow day here today so cancelled plans and aiming to get lots of jobs done while listening to my audiobook this morning then sitting and reading this afternoon. So pleased with my times so far - should make at least 20hts!
Profile Image
not likely to make the 24 hours, but more than expected.

Continuing with The Red-Hot Chili Cookoff, a light women's read. The Fannin gals are out to get Carlene's lyin' cheatin' womanizing husband where it hurts - by beating his team in the annual Chili cookoff!
Profile Image
Hoping to get in that last 2 hours 15 minutes in today and at least get in the double digits.
Profile Image
I updated it every day in my joining post.

Day 1: 5,5 hours
Day 2: 4h and 58 mins
Day 3: 1h and 49 mins
Day 4: 20 mins
Day 5: 2 hours and 20 mins
Day 6: 5 hours and 50 mins
Day 7: 1,5 hours
Total: 22 hours and 57 mins
Profile Image
An additional 1 hour 10 mins each day. Unfortunately the slow start and the missing book meant I didn't quite make my target this month. :-)

Total 6 hours 20 mins
Profile Image
closer to 24 hours than I've been in a while.

Finished up The Red-Hot Chili Cook-off, which was a nice women's fiction - and yes, the lyin' cheatin' ex-husband got his come-uppance when his ex and her family won the Chili Cook-off trophy instead of his team!
Profile Image
The last two days of this readathon did not bring much more time to read.

Day 4, Monday 26/2: 0.75 hours
Day 5, Tuesday 27/2: 0.5 hours
Day 6, Wednesday 28/2: 2.5 hours
Day u, Thursday 1/3: 0.75 hrs.

Total reading time till now: 8 hrs. Not bad after all for a very busy week, but that's mostly because I had very little sleep in the night of Wednesday -> Thursday.
I did finish The Prime of Miss Jean Bodie by Muriel Spark that day, so I can say at least, that I finishex one book :-)
Profile Image
Really helped that I really enjoyed both my books this month. Beat my target by a long way!
Profile Image
I had some good reading days, but then a couple where I didn't manage to read anything... It did help that I was reading something I really enjoyed (The Rosie Project).

Day 1: 0
Day 2: 30 mins
Day 3: 1 hr 30 min
Day 4: 1 hr 45 mins
Day 5: 0
Day 6: 1 hr 5 mins
Day 7: 30 mins
Profile Image
Fell short of my 10-hour goal but am finally realizing how much reading time is lost when I'm teaching. Oh well...there is always next month, or should I say later this month.

March Readathon will be March 23-March 30.

I'll be back!
Profile Image
Fell short of my 10-hour goal but am finally realizing how much reading time is lost when I'm teaching. Oh well...there is always next month, or should I say later this month.

March Readathon will be March 23-March 30.

I'll be back!

Thanks for the heads up on the dates
Profile Image
I didn't make my 14 hour goal, but I got close. I finished with 12 hours and 45 minutes. I got a Fitbit and it cut into my reading time:) I guess I'll have to download some audiobooks for my phone.
I'm looking forward to the next one!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.