corner corner 2/9 - 2/12 Share with us what you are reading this weekend

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

2/9 - 2/12 Share with us what you are reading this weekend

Why did you pick this book?

1. The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky NF 12/29/11 [258 pages] -- I have two copies so I can move two books at the same time

2. Map of Bones by James Rollins -- picked for Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes release challenge.

3. Bones of Betrayal by Jefferson Bass 12/29/11 [355 pages] - picked for Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes release challenge.

ALL YEAR: Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles Cowman -- This is part of the devotional rotation I am doing with my three daughters. At the end of the year it will get passed on to the next reader. This is our second year in our four year rotation.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Why did you pick this book?

1. The Last Fish Tale by Mark Kurlansky NF 12/29/11 [258 pages] -- I have two copies so I can move two books at the same time

2. Map of Bones by James Rollins -- picked for Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes release challenge.

3. Bones of Betrayal by Jefferson Bass 12/29/11 [355 pages] - picked for Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes release challenge.

ALL YEAR: Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles Cowman -- This is part of the devotional rotation I am doing with my three daughters. At the end of the year it will get passed on to the next reader. This is our second year in our four year rotation.

Profile Image
The Last Word by Ben Mcintyre - a collection of columns from The Times on words and language and anything and everything that the author could possibly think of to include under that sort of heading . . . . Enjoying it. Acquired because it looked like the sort of thing I'd enjoy. Reading now because it fits plum's reading theme.

The World of Samuel Pepys by Robert and Linnet Latham - extracts from the famous diary, gathered together in topics rather than chronological, an order which works for me. Acquired because I like history and it looked interesting. Reading now because it fits plum's reading theme.

On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry. Downloaded because I've enjoyed other works by this author in the past. Reading now because I've nothing on the Kindle that fits plum's reading theme and this is my oldest unread file.

Still Life by Louise Penny - the first of her Armand Gamache/Three Pines novels. Reading now because I saw and heard her on Tuesday evening and was inspired to re-read the whole series from the beginning!
Profile Image
Still Life by Louise Penny - the first of her Armand Gamache/Three Pines novels. Reading now because I saw and heard her on Tuesday evening and was inspired to re-read the whole series from the beginning!

I don't regret my decision! I thoroughly enjoyed Still Life all over again. 8 years since first reading it, I was surprised how clearly I remembered it, whodunnit and how and why and such like . . . . It was good to meet the many characters I've grown to love for the first time all over again - if you see what I mean . . . :-)
On Canaan's Side by Sebastian Barry. Downloaded because I've enjoyed other works by this author in the past. Reading now because I've nothing on the Kindle that fits plum's reading theme and this is my oldest unread file.

Very impressive. Very good. I loved it, the story and especially the manner of its telling, the flowing Irish poetic lilt of its 89-year old narrator as she looks back over the many loves and adventures of her long life.

As a complete contrast, I plan to read what I believe is a light-hearted, romantic, family saga next: A Matter of Trust by Robin Pilcher. Acquired because I've enjoyed other novels by this author who seems to have picked up the mantle of his mother Rosamunde! Chosen now because I want something light and, with a bit of devious jiggery-pokery, I might get away with it for plum's February reading theme!
Profile Image
As a complete contrast, I plan to read what I believe is a light-hearted, romantic, family saga next: A Matter of Trust by Robin Pilcher.

Pleasant - but I'd have preferred that it didn't jump around so! I do like my stories to be chronological!
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14894762
I think I'd better spend some time on my nonfictions before starting my next novel, probably tomorrow: The Crow Trap by Ann Cleeves, the first of her Vera mysteries, which I decided to read after seeing and hearing her in York last week.
Profile Image
Funny Lady by Lenore Fleischer. Another book for the book battle, since it's main color is purple.
Profile Image
I picked this up because I was in the mood for a fantasy adventure story :)
Profile Image
Love In A Nutshell by Janet Evanovich & Dorien Kelly.
Profile Image
Am dipping into A Winter Book ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14908037/ ) by Tove Jansson; I've found her "Moomin" books to be quite lyrical and often dark, and look forward to this non-Moomin collection.

And in the schlocky-horror genre, The Hand of the Devil ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14561258/ ) came up, among the books-for-the-Head-Shoulder-Knee-Toe release challenge; it blends a Vietnamese folk tale with a horrific creature, plus a sadistic killer... fun times!
Profile Image
A toast to murder by Allyson K. Abbott.
And
Death by coffee.
Profile Image
I've had copies of this book before, but just finally got around to reading it. I enjoyed it but can't imagine how they made it into a play. (My brother saw it on stage in London.)
Profile Image
I love that one! I haven't seen the stage production yet, though I want to; a friend caught it in New York and said it was really good.
Profile Image
Four Respectable Women Seek Part Time Husband by Barbara Toner

Chosen because it sounds like a light, amusing read.
Profile Image
Finished Map of Bones. Concentrating on the other books. Will add a new book tonight
Profile Image
Arrows of Eros ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14913106/ ) arrived in today's mail, just in time for me to read it for this year's Valentine's Day release challenge, which ends on the 14th. I *could* save it for next year, but somehow I don't think I will... It's a fantasy/SF anthology themed on sexuality, and looks... interesting!
Profile Image
I just started reading An Untamed State by Roxane Gay yesterday and am 49 pages into this novel. This is the first time I am reading a book by Roxane Gay and her writing is very good!

I also began reading Why We Can't Wait by Martin Luther King. Jr. yesterday as well and am 44 pages into this nonfiction book.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.