corner corner 1/26 - 1/29 What are you reading?

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

1/26 - 1/29 What are you reading?

Any plans for the books when you finish reading it?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Any plans for the books when you finish reading it?
Profile Image
READING
1. Philippians Triumph in Christ by John F. Walvoord 1970’s (120 pages) -- this is from my permanent collection; I will put it back on my shelf. Using this as a reference for my Bible study group so I am only reading a little every few weeks

2. Quickstep to Murder by Ella Barrick KTM 2/6/17 [286 pages] -- I will save this for the "Q" book title book ring

3. The Tea Girl of Hummingbird Lane by Lisa See -- I have a hard copy, but I am listening to this on my phone; I will find another BCer to pass it along to

4. Nectar in a Sieve by Kamala Markandaya KTM 4/12/17 [188 pages] -- probably put this in a VBB or find another BCer to pass it along to

ALL YEAR: Streams in the Desert by Mrs. Charles Cowman -- This is part of a devotional ring I have with my 3 daughters. At the end of the year, I will send it to my middle daughter.
Profile Image
Cold Pasta ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14888204/ ) is a little cookbook about (surprise!) dishes based on cold pasta - not just pasta salads, either. I've already seen some recipes I want to make, but after trying them I expect I'll release the book for the Wine+Food release challenge.

Skin Flutes and Velvet Gloves ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14862364/ ), a history of human private parts - yes, really! I plan to save this one for the next round of the MaryZee memorial Biographies of Things bookbox, which is open for signup now ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/549286 ).
Profile Image
Paperback for at home reading, to be wild released on completion: Death Comes to Lynchester Close by David Dickinson, one of his entertaining Lord Francis Powerscourt mysteries.
Carrying around on the Kindle, to be archived at the end: Last Train to Instanbul by Ayse Kulin, a long family saga with lots of characters that I'll probably be reading for a while . . . .
Profile Image
Paperback for at home reading, to be wild released on completion: Death Comes to Lynchester Close by David Dickinson, one of his entertaining Lord Francis Powerscourt mysteries.

Finished it. Great fun!
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14887802
My next choice is Featherstone by Kirsty Gunn, although I may not start it immediately.
Profile Image

Finished it. Great fun!
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14887802
My next choice is Featherstone by Kirsty Gunn, although I may not start it immediately.

Having been reminded how much I enjoy the Powerscourt mysteries, I got another one out of the library this afternoon and started it immediately . . . . Featherstone is going back on the To Be Read shelves - and goodness only knows when it will next see the light of day . . . . :-)
Death of an Elgin Marble by David Dickinson
Profile Image
Carrying around on the Kindle, to be archived at the end: Last Train to Instanbul by Ayse Kulin, a long family saga with lots of characters that I'll probably be reading for a while . . . .

Heavy going. I've got bogged down in diplomatic deliberations in 1943. Taking a break until I can give it the concentration it deserves!
My lighter alternative is The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy, which is taking me to a fictional West Coast of Ireland :-)
Profile Image

Heavy going. I've got bogged down in diplomatic deliberations in 1943. Taking a break until I can give it the concentration it deserves!
My lighter alternative is The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy, which is taking me to a fictional West Coast of Ireland :-)

I finished the charming lighter alternative and read a little more of the heavier original before realising that I needed to choose another lighter alternative to run alongside it :-)
Once Upon a Time Travel by Sariah Wilson looks very silly - and might prove too silly, we'll see . . . .
Profile Image
I'm reading Lolita from Vladimir Nabokov.
Once finished it will go to a fellow Berlin Bookcrosser who had it on their wishlist.
Profile Image
Just started "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.
Profile Image
In the first few chapters now.

I hope to see it on a wishlist so I can pass it along to another BCer.
Profile Image
I will probably keep it.

The revolting truth behind the rebellious and revolutionary French from the tortured times of the Dark Ages to the murderous moments of the 19th century.
Profile Image
I don't know why I do this to myself.

A biography of the Canadian band, Barenaked Ladies, which I am really enjoying. They are about to be inducted itno the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and I've had this one on the shelf for ages.

Uncommon Type written (and read by!! on the audio version) Tom Hanks. I am really enjoying this.

Still reading Crow Lake by Mary Lawson. It's a good story but is the book in my bag and I only tend to read it when I am on public transit so that's why it's been taking me this long.

And a book I got out of the library called *Audacity* about the legacy of Barack Obama.

I also picked up The Singing Bones by Shaun Tan from the library today.
Profile Image
A book that goes back to the library by next Friday.
Profile Image
by Adriana Trigiani http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7641780
This will likely move along in the "T" author bookring, as I didn't have anything set aside for that letter yet. I try to read ahead, so it's not a scramble when it's my turn.
Profile Image
Labelled up and ready to be released when I'm done!
Profile Image
I loved this one! Hope you enjoy it.
Profile Image
I don’t know if I will keep it.

A history of the dragons of Krynn that spans 10,000 years.

Profile Image
... I picked up "Dashing Through the Snow" by Mary and Carol Higgins Clark (not yet registered). I was in the mood for something light and fluffy and fast and this is ticking all of those boxes. I am already halfway through and I think I will probably finish it today or tomorrow. Why I was in the mood for a frothy Christmas-themed mystery, I am not really sure. But I will admit that I'm enjoying it! I have read a lot of heavier stuff recently, so maybe I just needed a change of pace.
Profile Image
In The Pines ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14891366/ ) is a graphic novel with stories based on "murder ballads". There's a crow on the cover so it might wind up as a Backyard Bird Count challenge release.

Baking With Kafka ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14891364/ ) is a collection of Tom Gauld's cartoons - many of them book-themed, to great effect. The title suits it for the Wine+Food release challenge.
Profile Image
....and loving it. By David Sax. Great writer. Lots to think about. Next, it goes to my hubby, Donfiction.
Profile Image
Thought I'd finish it over the weekend, maybe tonight. I'll check to see if anyone is wishing for it.
Profile Image
This is a pretty good book about family and mystery - one of three sisters disappeared as a child and is believed dead, but is she?

It's going to mcsar in the wish list tag game after I'm done with it.
Profile Image
Alice is going out with Jim. Jim is passionate, pleasant, kind, loving, tender and loves Alice. Alice likes Jim. She really does. She’s just not in love with him.

The sex is good—not great, just good. That’s a problem. Sex with Jim is boring her. The thought of being in a relationship with a decent man is wonderful. The thought of having to repeat boring sex for years is awful. What to do? Fortunately, Alice is a planner, the type of aggressive lady who sets herself a goal and achieves it no matter what.

Excerpt:

Alice wanted desperately for it to work out. And Alice is a problem solver; there’s not a difficult situation in the world she can’t make right. If she knew more about geophysics, she’d beat this whole global warming thing in a heartbeat. As Alice put the glass in the sink, she was convinced that the problem of having passionate sex with Jim just simply couldn’t be that hard to solve.

Alice walked down the hallway and into Jim’s bedroom. Jim was in bed, reading. He looked up and smiled.

Alice looked at him for a long moment, wondering what passion actually was; what are its ingredients, what are its component parts? When describing someone, people always say, “They’re a very passionate person.” But what does that mean? Alice walked over to her side of the bed and sat on it, her back to Jim as she thought. It means they are excitable, she thought. They are enthusiastic. They get worked up over things they believe in strongly. Alice was excited about being in a relationship, excited about not dating, about feeling secure. She was excited about what a nice man Jim was and how much he seemed to love her. Alice closed her eyes and tried to direct all that excitement to her groin area. After all, emotion is just energy. So she could take that energy and make it sexual. She felt Jim’s hand on her back and let her thoughts flow.

Alice smiled to herself. She didn’t need to be passionate about Jim to have passionate sex. She believes passionately in rights for the underprivileged. She is passionate about being against the death penalty. She is passionate about world peace. She kept kissing Jim deeply as she hugged him tightly. She tilted her body just enough to roll Jim on top of her. She pulled off his T-shirt. She tugged off his boxer shorts. Jim took off her pajama bottoms and put his hand in between her legs. Alice wrapped her legs around his back and tugged at his hair as they kissed—passionately, tongues and teeth and lips, and shallow breaths. Alice was moaning loudly. She loved penises, she loved penises inside her and she was going to love Jim, who grabbed her and lifted her up to him. She was straddling him now, as they sat up and were rocking back and forth. As Alice was moving up and down, a thought flashed across her mind: how will I ever keep this up? They kept moving and Alice was groaning, concentrating on coming when another thought flashed across her mind: this is taking a lot of energy. Jim kept thrusting and kissing while Alice had the best idea she’d ever had in her entire life. An idea that made her understand how it was all possible, how she could keep this up forever and ever and how it wouldn’t have to take so much energy: she could just think about Brad Pitt. It was an obvious choice but she didn’t care. She went through his entire oeuvre. She thought about Brad Pitt’s slim torso in “Thelma and Louise”, his muscular torso in “Fight Club”, and his really muscular torso in “Troy”. She thought about how he threw Angelina Jolie against a wall in “Mr. and Mrs. Smith”. As she got close to coming, Alice realized she could think about Brad Pitt for the rest of her life. It was a free country and no one would ever need to know. She could think about Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp and even Tom Cruise—who she knew was weird, but she loved buff torsos, no matter what the torso happened to believe in. And as she imagined Brad Pitt in gold metal armor jumping through the air in slow motion, she came.

“Oh my God,” Alice said, catching her breath as a new thought flashed across her mind: I can do this! I am really going to be able to do this.

End of excerpt.
Profile Image

End of excerpt.

That's quite an excerpt!
Profile Image
A newly-received book may leap to the top of the stack tonight:

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: and Other Lessons from the Crematory ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14880220/ )

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.