corner corner January Readathon begins on Friday, 26 January

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

January Readathon begins on Friday, 26 January

Is it me or is January flying by at the speed of sound? This month's seven day readathon begins at midnight 26 January and ends at midnight 2 February.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 25 January at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 26 January in your timezone. We will read for 7 full days and nights and stop when Thursday 1 February 2359 pm becomes Friday 2 February in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Is it me or is January flying by at the speed of sound? This month's seven day readathon begins at midnight 26 January and ends at midnight 2 February.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 25 January at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 26 January in your timezone. We will read for 7 full days and nights and stop when Thursday 1 February 2359 pm becomes Friday 2 February in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.
Profile Image
I may exceed that but will not over anticipate. Who's with me?
Profile Image
It's true-January has flown by! It just proves time flies whether or not you're having fun:)
Profile Image
..thanks to the Beanstack challenge - I passed the Hawaii library system's goal (1000 minutes per reader) a while back but they said to continue tracking to help with the overall goal, so I've been doing that.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9055541

ANYWAY...the Beanstack tracking tells me I've been averaging a little over 100 minutes a day. I'll try for 24 hours during the readathon, so I'll have to pick up the pace once it starts!
Profile Image
I'll try to finish 3 books.
Profile Image
with the goal 10 hours
Profile Image
I am on holiday for part of it so going to try for a longer time of 17 hours 30 mins. To read at least two books.

:)
Profile Image
Sounds interesting! I have no idea how much I read, so I'll see how far I can get.
Tracking stats:
Jan 26th: 4 hours and 55 mins
Jan 27th: 2 hours and 26 mins
Jan 28th: 3 hours and 11 mins
Jan 29th: 4 hours and 25 mins
Jan 30th: 6 hours and 50 mins (couldn't sleep)
Jan 31st: 3 hours
Feb 1st: 6 hours (couldn't sleep again)
Profile Image
I'll set myself the usual goal when there's 'only' 7 days of readathon: 12 hours.
Profile Image
I'll join in trying for double digits...
Profile Image
I'm in again for 10 hrs this time :)
Profile Image
Big Stone Gap started on the commute this morning. Back tomorrow with the reading time for Friday.
Profile Image

Day 1

Day 1: 0 hours

Total: 0/10h
Profile Image
Did not read ubtil late in the evening, right before falling asleep.
Too bad, but there were other things that required my attention :-) I am reading : Ik reis alleen by Samuel Bjørk and during the dag Yrsa Sigurdardottir's Last Rituals.

Day 1: 15 mins
Total reading time: 15 mins
Compared to goal: 15 mins of 12 hrs.
Profile Image
Not a great start; I'll have to try to do better over the weekend, or my goal will get out of reach very quickly.

Read on Day 1:

‣ I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
‣ The Road from Coorain
‣ Firestorm

===========

Current reads:

‣ Darkest Hour by Anthony McCarten
Nonfiction; McCarten wrote both this book and the screenplay of the film. Not registered yet.
- I bought this at Costco after seeing the movie (other movies that would fit in nicely with this one are The King's Speech - which I haven't seen - and Dunkirk). As usual with nonfiction, I'd like more pictures. I'll get back to it eventually, but this is on a back burner while I read Australian. Time's article about the movie pointed to me to this resource for Churchill's speeches: https://www.winstonchurchill.org/---/1940-the-finest-hour/

‣ Firestorm: A First Responders Novel by Radclyffe
Lesbian romance set in Montana. Not registered yet.
- Wilderness firefighting ✓
- Montana setting ✓
- Might work for a bookbox ✓
- $1 for the Friends of the Library ✓
- Romance books, lesbian or otherwise: not my usual thing, but I guessed what it was before I picked it up, due to the author's name. Story's ok so far.

‣ Honolulu Prepares for Japan's Attack by Rodney T. West
Nonfiction; apparently self-published. Not registered yet.
- How could I resist buying this little history book on a Saturday afternoon just after we'd had a (thankfully false!) incoming missile alert? The lack of an editor does show. :s

‣ I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Autobiography; unabridged audio download read by the author.
- Fascinating, wonderful to hear it in her voice, and I might count this as my Arkansas book for NancyNova's challenge. Also borrowed a print copy from the library to follow along with. The unabridged audio is over 10 hours, so I can see why there are abridged versions out there...

‣ Math: A Book You Can Count On! by Dan Green, illustrations by Simon Basher
Cute drawings to introduce math concepts. Not registered yet.
- Reading this one in small bites; it's fun, but I haven't figured out what the target age group is supposed to be.

‣ The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway
Autobiography by the woman who became the first female president of Smith College. Not registered yet.
- Might go to the winner of the Australian Lit sweeps; we'll see. So far, good stuff.

‣ The Sky Over Lima by Juan Gómez Bárcena
E-book
- Not bad, but not really sucking me in, either, at least so far. South America is usually tough for me. :(

===========

Overall time:

Day 1 (Fri 1/26): 56 mins

Running total for January: 56 mins

Goal: 24 hours in 7 days
Profile Image
I didn't manage to read anything on Friday. But had a nice morning finishing Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani. Now trying to decide what to pick up next... :)
I also have Mr Foreigner by Matthew Kneale as my carry around book. And as audiobook Airborn by Kenneth Oppel (haven't been listening much lately, prefering to listen to music which takes less concentration).
Profile Image
Great beginning for me. I'm working on three books and may finish them by the end of the Readathon.
Reading - Pity Becomes You by Kay Thomas - a soon to be published novella that I am proofreading/editing
Fire and Fury by Michael Woolf
Listening to: Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

Keep on reading!
Profile Image
Great beginning for me.

Great beginning, period. Go Kate!
Profile Image
all spent in reading Big Stone Gap
Profile Image
I finished Coraline by Neil Gaiman. It was my first Gaiman and it was an eerie little story! I started Clever Maids: The Secret History of the Grimm Fairy Tales by Valerie Paradiz.
Profile Image
I finished Coraline by Neil Gaiman. It was my first Gaiman and it was an eerie little story! I started Clever Maids: The Secret History of the Grimm Fairy Tales by Valerie Paradiz.

I love Coraline. If you haven't seen the movie - watch it. I do enjoy the eerie side of Gaiman.
Profile Image
I do enjoy the eerie side of Gaiman.

He does it *so* well...
Profile Image

I love Coraline. If you haven't seen the movie - watch it. I do enjoy the eerie side of Gaiman.

I haven't seen the movie. Thanks for the recommendation!
Profile Image

Day 2

Much better! Returned to Painting the Sand by Kim Hughes

Day 2: 2h 25 min so far

Total: 2h 25 min / 10h
Parent
Profile Image
I'll have to start on Day 3 because I can't remember how much time I read Friday and today...Heavy sigh!
Profile Image
I'll have to start on Day 3 because I can't remember how much time I read Friday and today...Heavy sigh!

Oh dear! If you read both days you must have done at least 5 mins each day or was it 10? Don't say zero. Just put your estimated time down I'm sure no one will mind :-)
Profile Image
I just don't remember...so I'm fine with starting on Day 3. But thanks for the encouragement...greatly appreciated!
Profile Image
I finished off a quick read http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13344760
And started the Xmas Factor by Annie Sanders.

Total so far = 1 hour 50 mins
Profile Image

Days 2-3

Some more reading at night and in the morning

Day 3: 55 min
Day 2: 4 hours

Total: 4h 55 min / 10h
Parent
Profile Image
Two days in and almost five hours behind. Sigh.

CONTINUING:

‣ The Road from Coorain
‣ Firestorm

FINISHED:

‣ I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

This is the first of Angelou's seven autobiographies. At the end of it, she's sixteen and has gone through enough adventures for at least one lifetime. I listened to an unabridged version, supplemented by a printed copy from the library, but here's a link to the abridged audiobook on my shelf: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8088492

STARTED & FINISHED:

‣ Don't Fidget a Feather! by Erica Silverman; illustrated by S.D. Schindler
Not registered yet

Duck and Gander are friends, but who will be the one and only, true and forever champion of champions?

===========

Overall time:

Day 2 (Sat 1/27): 1 hr 13 mins

Running total for January: 2 hrs 9 mins
Profile Image
Still reading Big Stone Gap. Because of the folksy telling, I can't speed read it. I was hoping to be done by now, but still have the ending to finish up.
Profile Image
Two hours is what I aim for each day. No listening time today but happy with my reading.
hyphen8 - I so rarely get even close to your daily times. :-)
Profile Image
Total is 4 hours
Profile Image
At this rate, I'm on pace for 10 hours, maybe. :p

CONTINUING:

‣ The Road from Coorain
‣ Firestorm

STARTED:

‣ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling
Unabridged audio read by Jim Dale

A repeat: I'm working on a craft project that requires a fair bit of attention at the moment, so I wanted something familiar in my ears.

===========

Overall time:

Day 3 (Sun 1/28): 1 hr 47 mins

Running total for January: 3 hrs 56 mins

Goal: 24 hours in 7 days?!
Profile Image
Almost up to my normal hour a day challenge but far below this month's challenge.

So far 2 hours 55 mins
Profile Image
Finished off Big Stone Gap, but then there was a chapter except of the next book...and I was hooked. Thankfully the library had the next as an e-book, so downloaded and reading away.
Profile Image
Finished off Big Stone Gap, but then there was a chapter except of the next book...and I was hooked. Thankfully the library had the next as an e-book, so downloaded and reading away.

Hey we were reading the same book! :)
I released it yesterday in a new 'bookswap' bookcase at the train station.
Profile Image
Total so far 5 hours
Due to finish Clever Maids today and I've been listening to Holiday in Death by J.D. Robb on audio in the car. The only problem is that I've been off work since last Thursday--I may have to go get it out of the car. I'm suffering the after effects of the flu. The flu my doctor didn't test for, but said I didn't have. I then gave it to my husband whose doctor confirmed it. Now my doctor says I have complications (sinus infection) from the flu that I didn't have:)
Profile Image
I'm suffering the after effects of the flu. The flu my doctor didn't test for, but said I didn't have. I then gave it to my husband whose doctor confirmed it. Now my doctor says I have complications (sinus infection) from the flu that I didn't have:)

I hope you'll get well soon!
Profile Image
I hope you'll get well soon!

Thanks!
Profile Image
Sorry you got sick. I hope it won't take over 4 weeks to get well. This flu has been beastly this year.
Profile Image
Sorry you got sick. I hope it won't take over 4 weeks to get well. This flu has been beastly this year.

Thanks! I've been sick since January 11, so hopefully not much longer. I do feel better today.
Profile Image
I'm suffering the after effects of the flu. The flu my doctor didn't test for, but said I didn't have. I then gave it to my husband whose doctor confirmed it. Now my doctor says I have complications (sinus infection) from the flu that I didn't have:)

Well that's a drag. Feel better soon!
Profile Image
Well that's a drag. Feel better soon!

Thanks! I'm feeling better today.
Profile Image
The flu my doctor didn't test for, but said I didn't have. I then gave it to my husband whose doctor confirmed it. Now my doctor says I have complications (sinus infection) from the flu that I didn't have:)

I feel for you I am in my second week of it now and have developed an infection. I feel like my ribs will break with every cough. My friend's daughter went to the docs with hers and was told its usually around for eight weeks. Oh I really hope not!!!
Profile Image
I feel for you I am in my second week of it now and have developed an infection. I feel like my ribs will break with every cough. My friend's daughter went to the docs with hers and was told its usually around for eight weeks. Oh I really hope not!!!

Yikes! I'm in the 3rd week and finally feeling better. This is rough stuff!
Profile Image

Days 3-4

Yesterday was another good reading day. Finished Painting the Sand!
Today was not - haven't touched a book yet!

Day 4: 0
Day 3: 3h 10 min

Total: 7h 10 min / 10h
Profile Image
Listened to Airborn yesterday and today. I'm also starting on Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan.

Day 1: 0
Day 2: 2 hrs 5 mins
Day 3: 30 mins
Day 4: 30 mins (so far)
Profile Image

Day 3

Day 3: 2 hours 32 minutes

I decided to start with a quick read...The Wondrous Wizard of Id...by Brant Parker and Johnny Hart. I was able to finish it. Then I started a romance...Someone to Trust...so I can release it next month. I also spent time in the ...Holy Bible...reading Genesis chapter 4.

Even though I missed the first two days, I feel I'm off to a great start. I finished a book and that always makes me feel good.
Profile Image
Not bad at all :-)

So far 5 hours 10 mins
Profile Image
Although there's technically less "free" time, the structure of a work day actually helps somewhat: it's less chaotic than the weekend, and there are fewer random disruptions.

CONTINUING:

‣ The Road from Coorain
‣ Firestorm
‣ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
‣ Honolulu Prepares for Japan's Attack

PICKED UP again after a break (I had to backtrack a bit to get back into the story):

‣ Boundary by Eric Flint and Ryk E. Spoor
E-book from the Baen Free Library: http://www.baen.com/boundary.html

A paleontologist discovers a surprising fossil...which turns out to have an unexpected connection to a planned mission to Mars!

===========

Overall time:

Day 4 (Mon 1/29): 5 hrs 1 min

Running total for January: 8 hrs 57 mins

Profile Image

update

Day 5: 5 min
Day 4: 25 min

Total: 7h 40 min / 10h
Profile Image
I finished Clever Maids and started The Anteater of Death by Betty Webb. So far I'm loving it!
Total = 7 hours
Profile Image
I finished off the Xmas Factor by Annie Sanders and am now reading When God was a Rabbit by Sarah Winman

So far 9 hours 20 mins
Profile Image
When God was a Rabbit

Now that's an interesting title...!

And 4+ hours is an excellent reading day. :)
Profile Image
When God was a Rabbit

Now that's an interesting title...!

And 4+ hours is an excellent reading day. :)

Its an interesting read :-)
Profile Image

Day 4

Day 4: 2 hrs. 37 mins.
Total: 5 hrs 7 mins.

I read from several books today...Solid Ground...Someone to Trust...Holy Bible...A Dragon in the Family (My son and I finished reading this one.)...What Creatures Teach Us...Encyclopedia Brown Carries On...and...So Many Books, So Little Time. Yes, I'm one of those people who reads several books at a time. I'm pleased that I've finished two books and just have one more to go to meet my goal. I'd love to finish more than three because my TBR pile really needs reducing and I keep adding to it.
Profile Image
Hit my daily goal but didn't make up much ground. On the other hand (or more accurately on my sore arm) I finally got a flu shot, which is something.

CONTINUING:

‣ The Road from Coorain
‣ Firestorm
‣ Boundary

===========

Overall time:

Day 5 (Tue 1/30): 3 hrs 35 mins

Running total for January: 12 hrs 32 mins

Profile Image
Finished up Big Cherry Holler which was great. Then started into Milk Glass Moon - got about 1/2 way and gave up. Not keeping my interest too well, so skipped to the ending then sent it back to the library.

Profile Image
I liked the book, Big Cherry Holler.
Profile Image
Tried All He Ever Desired, an ABC TBR, but it's the 5th in the series and after 50 pages, I was lost. Cast about a bit with a few other fits and starts until settling on my oldest TBR: Promise Texas by Debbie Macomber.
Profile Image
Between teaching and errands, I forgot to post for the last three days.
Yowza! All three days have been at least 2 hours. And I do believe I will surpass my goal of 14 hours. :-) Plus I finished reading two more books.

hyphen8 - sorry about your sore arm. I'm getting my flu shot today or tomorrow.
Profile Image
hyphen8 - sorry about your sore arm. I'm getting my flu shot today or tomorrow.

Thanks, it's better today: last night it felt like someone had punched me in the arm, hard. Took me two tries to get the shot: apparently quite a few places here have _run out_ of flu shots (don't know if there's a limit to the number they can get, but I'm guessing logistics issues might be a factor, what with being in the middle of the ocean, and all).
Profile Image
I have totally forgotten to register the amount of hours (more like minutes) read in the past days, Friday is the only day I took notes about it.
Too much on my mind these past days.
I did/do read, but won't list it here.
Better luck next time :-)
Profile Image

Day 6

Day 6: 0 hours

Profile Image
Total = 9 hours
Profile Image
Not a bad reading day, but I'm still going to be well short of my goal. Oh well.

CONTINUING:

‣ Boundary
‣ Firestorm
‣ The Road from Coorain

===========

Overall time:

Day 6 (Wed 1/31): 4 hrs 7 mins

Running total for January: 16 hrs 39 mins

Profile Image
Made my goal! It will be interesting to see how much time I get in today.
Profile Image
I finished When God Was a Rabbit. Recommend it to others, as it was recommended to me by a bookcrosser :-)

Total so far 14 hours
Profile Image
I tracked it in my joining post, but here's my end result:

Total: 30 hours and 47 mins

Wow, that's a lot more than I thought I would read.
Profile Image

Congratulations! What a brilliant reading time. Not sleeping seems to be the key. Hope you not too tired now :-)
Profile Image

Sorry you had trouble sleeping, but you definitely got a lot of reading done!
Profile Image
Total = 11 hours
Profile Image
zipping through my oldest TBR now, set in Promise Texas. Good thing there's a list of characters in the front, because I forgot the who's who in the town.
Profile Image

Day 7/Total

No reading at at all in the last two days. Pity!

Day 7: 0 hours
Day 6: 0 hours

Profile Image
I have to admit I fell asleep briefly whilst reading lying on the settee but as the book was still held upright in my hand it would have been only seconds! lol

Total 17 hours 40 mins

My challenge this month has been reached!!! Makes a change ......
Profile Image
I was hoping to at least get to 20 hours, but didn't quite make it.

FINISHED:

‣ Boundary by Eric Flint & Ryk E. Spoor

This is the first Boundary book: the series appears to be laid out as two trilogies, with the second set building on the ficton of the first. So now, I've read books 1, 4, and 5.

CONTINUING:

‣ Firestorm by Radclyffe
‣ Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling -finished Feb 2
‣ Honolulu Prepares for Japan's Attack by Rodney T. West
‣ The Road from Coorain by Jill Ker Conway -finished Feb 4

STARTED:

‣ Threshold by Eric Flint & Ryk E. Spoor

#2 in the series because I still haven't gotten my questions from book 4 answered. :)

ONGOING books I still hope to finish, eventually:

‣ Darkest Hour by Anthony McCarten - finished Feb 10
‣ Math by Dan Green
‣ The Sky Over Lima by Juan Gómez Bárcena

===========

Overall time:

Day 6 (Wed 1/31): 4 hrs 7 mins
Day 7 (Thu 2/1): 2 hrs 53 mins

Running total for January: 19 hrs 32 mins

Profile Image
REading Stones from the River, with a side of a romance that fits plums challenge.
Profile Image
Making a total of 12 hours--I met my goal!
Profile Image
Congrats on making your goal!
Profile Image
Day 5: 4 hrs.
Day 6: 2 hrs. 50 min.
Day 7: 2 hrs. 54 min.
Total: 14 hours 51 minutes

On Day 5, I finished my romance...Someone to Trust. On Day 6, I finished...So Many Books, So Little Time. On Day 7, I finished...Fancy Nancy and the Delectable Cupcakes. So, I did reduce my TBR pile.

Sorry for not posting results sooner. I went to the mountains Friday and didn't come back until this afternoon.
Profile Image
I forgot to check in at the end. I am so glad to see all of the success stories.

I exceeded mine. Maybe things will look up for me this year. :-)
Profile Image

Oops

I completely lost track at the last few days.. oh well. I did read a bit but not much. Hopefully next readathon will go better :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.