corner corner November audiobook thread

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

November audiobook thread

I am just starting Alice Munro's *Too Much Happiness*, short stories. I am usually not much of a fan of short stories, but being Canadian, I feel I should be more well-read when it comes to Canadian books. And this being Canada's 150th birthday, I have set myself a challenge of reading more Canadian authors this year. I am closing in on my personal target of 25 so I am happy to include this one.

What will keep you warm this November?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I am just starting Alice Munro's *Too Much Happiness*, short stories. I am usually not much of a fan of short stories, but being Canadian, I feel I should be more well-read when it comes to Canadian books. And this being Canada's 150th birthday, I have set myself a challenge of reading more Canadian authors this year. I am closing in on my personal target of 25 so I am happy to include this one.

What will keep you warm this November?
Profile Image
read by Roy Dotrice. As I have read the book at least three times already, it is easy for me fall asleep after listening to one or two chapters at night. Apparently in 2004 he secured a place in the Guinness Book of Records for the most characters voiced in a single book - this one. I was sad to hear of his passing away a couple of weeks ago, and this felt like a good way to pay him tribute.
Profile Image
I am listening to The Whole Town's Talking by Fannie Flagg, narrated by Kimberley Farr. It's light and fairly amusing but definitely not great literature. I guess I was spoiled by Homegoing which was terrific.
Profile Image
I am currently listening to a collection of stories by Alice Munro (Too Much Happiness), also narrated by Kimberley Farr! I am not generally a fan of short stories but a close friend of mine in the States is actually teaching her second course of CanLit, this one focussed on Munro and keeps urging me to stick to it.

I will be honest. I am only on story #1 so far and I am not liking it at all! I hate the characters! I will try to stick with one or two more stories before deciding whether to just ditch it and move on.
Profile Image
I'm nearing the end of Trollope's He Knew He Was Right ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/5572358/ ), in which the anguish of the "he" of the title is reaching full pitch - though it's his own fault, poor jealous bastard - while the romantic ups and downs of at least four other couples fill out the story. I'm enjoying it, though there is a regrettable tendency for the "good" female characters to react to proposals from their beloveds by refusing to meet their eyes or say a word, generally resulting in the women fleeing the room. Luckily for all concerned, the guys generally interpret this correctly, but I don't care for the "if she runs away it means she loves you" interpretation. Once the characters actually do talk to each other things (usually) go better - though the knew-he-was-right guy is simply impossible to reason with by this point.

Once I finish that I'll start another section of The Horror on the Links ( https://www.audible.com/---/B06XWG7MDG ), by Seabury Quinn; they're pulp mysteries-with-occult-hints, and are more fun when enjoyed in small doses.
Profile Image
I've just abandoned 'Dark Matter' by Blake Crouch. It's the worst book I've read in years, and it was this month's pick for the library SF club. I'm giving it up because the club meets tomorrow night, and since I can't finish it, why punish myself further? Why I mention it in this thread is that usually hearing a book is a much better experience than reading it. For this book, Harold read it and didn't like it much; the best he could say was "It's a quick read." Then when he was riding in my car and listening to the audio, he said "I can see why you don't like it. This is worse than the print version."

We offer the theory that the slower pace of audio books allows us time to dwell more on the good or bad qualities, and they expand in our minds, either way. Have any of you had experiences like this?

Also, GoryDetails, our library doesn't have an audio version of the Trollope, but it does have a BBC video production. It's gotten mixed reviews from viewers, but I'm such a sucker for BBC costume dramas I'll probably request it.

And jessibud, last month you posted that you were waiting for Al Franken's new book. As a proud constituent and supporter, I'm eager to hear your opinion (yes, I have already read it). If the book inspires you to crave any of Franken's campaign literature, buttons, etc., you have only to ask.
Profile Image
Thanks! I just checked my library account on line and I am currently #5 of 13 on hold. I am going to visit my mum in Montreal next week for a few days so hopefully, by the time I return home, it will be here or close to arriving at my branch.
Profile Image
Also, GoryDetails, our library doesn't have an audio version of the Trollope, but it does have a BBC video production. It's gotten mixed reviews from viewers, but I'm such a sucker for BBC costume dramas I'll probably request it.

Oh, yes - this one: http://www.imdb.com/---/combined ? If so, I saw it when it came out, and really enjoyed it. In fact, as I've been listening to the book, I found myself wanting to watch it again! (I note with amusement that Bill Nighy plays Col. Osborne, the aging Old Family Friend whose contact with Emily T. triggers her husband's jealousy. I adore Nighy even when he's being a bit of a jerk. And a pre-Doctor David Tennant is in it, too. Oh, yeah, I definitely need to watch that again.)
Profile Image
I just checked my library account online and the Al Franken audiobook is *in transit* which means I should be getting my *pick-up* call any day now!
Profile Image
First novel in a paranormal romance werewolf series. Not bad.
Profile Image
If so, I wanted to let you all know that the unabridged audio version of The Good Girl by Mary Kubica is downloadable for FREE right now.

Not sure how long it will be FREE on Audible though.
Profile Image
Decent holiday themed novel narrated by the author.
Profile Image
Moving on to a new audiobook - an omnibus edition of H. P. Lovecraft's works ( https://www.audible.com/---/B01JK2ZWO2 ). The narrator, Finn J. D. John, has an... odd voice, one that actually works well as a typical Lovecraftian narrator, though it also means that I'll probably want to mix these tales with some other audiobook rather than listening to the whole thing straight through. There are some good editorial bits about Lovecraft's life, the settings and inspirations for the stories, etc.
Profile Image
I've been waiting for a few months to get the digital download for Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay which is read by Simon Vance. Guy Kay grew up in Winnipeg and we actually attended university at the same time although he was a year behind me. I only started reading his books in the last few years though because I knew they were fantasy and I'm not a big fan of fantasy usually. However, once I had read one I put him on the list of fantasy writers that I adore. Then when I saw that Tigana, which was Kay's first stand-alone novel, was read by Simon Vance I knew I had to listen to it. And I am happy to say it is every bit as good as I hoped it would be.
Profile Image
for some time. It's *Giant of the Senate* by Al Franken. But damn, I just heard on the news that he is the latest in a seemingly never-ending line of people coming out of the woodwork with sexual assault accusations against them, from their past. This makes me sick, and angry. Kind of sours me now - do I even want to bother with this? I had heard it was great book but I just feel turned off. And he surely won't be the last, that's for sure.
Profile Image
Unabridged; read by Judy Kaye
borrowed from the library

Haven't read one of Kinsey Millhone's adventures for years but I was looking for a title that started with X...

I didn't realize that the author had chosen to have so little time pass in Kinsey's world over the course of the series, but it seems like a good decision for the sake of the story: there's no internet, but landlord Henry Pitts is still around. :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.