corner corner The November First Sentence Thread

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The November First Sentence Thread

For almost the last time this year, I'm inviting you to join me in making a note of the first sentences of the books we read, please - not forgetting title and author as this isn't a guessing game.
Many thanks :-)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
For almost the last time this year, I'm inviting you to join me in making a note of the first sentences of the books we read, please - not forgetting title and author as this isn't a guessing game.
Many thanks :-)
Profile Image
as it bounced along the pitted Georgia highway.

Sweet Tea and Sympathy, by Molly Harper.
Profile Image
I dealt with the case of a burnt letter.
From The Woman in the Picture by Katharine McMahon
Profile Image
is a fat, shining cigar of aluminium, brilliant in the sun.
From the Prologue to Under a Pole Star by Stef Penney
Chapter 1 begins: This was a list of the things that Flora stole her first voyage.
Profile Image
has ever produced the expression "As pretty as an airport."
From "Two Complete Novels" by Douglas Adams. First line of the second novel - "The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul".

BCID - 991-14790888
Profile Image
different times. The book is Quartet in Autumn by Barbara Pym.
Profile Image
along with the morning chill.

From The Street of a Thousand Blossoms by Gail Tsukiyama
Profile Image
everything conspired to cheat the pilots of sleep; the low sun filtering through the windows of their billets in Fonteville; the spasms of anxiety about what the day might bring; and the growing tumult of sound to the east; where in almost continuous barrage of anti-aircraft fire blended with the drone of aero-engines and the thuds of bombs.

Blue Man Falling by Frank Barnard.
Profile Image
I'm sure it must be years rather than months, which means I've recorded hundreds of first sentences from the books I've ben reading - but for the very first time I can't do it! Unfortunately, too many BookCrossers would find the first sentence of Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre offensive, so I've opted for the tactful option. I've not quoted the last sentences of novels when I've thought they contained spoilers - but not posting the opening sentence is a first!
Profile Image
Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre

Haha that's what I love about bookcrossing and the forums - this made me look up the book after what you said!!!
Profile Image
Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre

Haha that's what I love about bookcrossing and the forums - this made me look up the book after what you said!!!

I had no problem quoting it in my JE for some reason!!!!
Profile Image
From Driving in the Dark by Deborah Moggach
Profile Image
you see is the Birdsong house down at the end of Claxton Avenue, three blocks away, where the street makes a right angle with Birdsong Boulevard. The book is Old Dogs And Children by Robert Inman.
Profile Image
but the words still haunted me.
From Death Descends on Saturn Villa by MRC Kasasian
Profile Image
Have Sword, Will Travel by Garth Nix and Sean Williams
Profile Image
- 74 Seaside Avenue by Debbie Macomber -
Profile Image
From Mrs Hemingway by Naomi Wood
Profile Image
flies began stirring.

Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Profile Image
when Patrick was small, she would wake up suddenly, gripped by some terrible fear--that he had stopped breathing,more spiked a deadly fever. The book is Saints for All Occasions by J. Courtney Sullivan.
Profile Image
and got dumped for the nineteenth time by a girl named Katherine, he took a bath.
From An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
Profile Image
From "Even dogs in the wild", by Ian Rankin.
Profile Image
intending to cover the fifteen miles of his journey before nightfall.
From Hungry Hill by Daphne du Maurier
Profile Image
little sanctuary of the Church of the Pure Christ in Eden, North Carolina.

A War of Gifts - Orson Scott Card
Profile Image
All These Worlds - Dennis E. Taylor
Profile Image
began as it would proceed for quite some time, that is to say uncertainly- her mother Rupban felt an iron fist squeeze her belly.

Brick Lane by Monica Ali.
Profile Image
quietly opened the door so as not to awaken her daughter, Sitare, and stole out onto the landing.
From Love in Exile by Ayse Kulin
Profile Image
Legend - Marie Lu
Profile Image
out of the cabinet door and block out the nasal voice of her boss Ken Grimshaw spouting the biggest load of bull she'd heard all year, but he was night on impossible to ignore at that volume.
From The Queen of Wishful Thinking by Milly Johnson
Profile Image
be frightened.

The Giver - Lois Lowry
Profile Image
could hardly see through hit rifle scope. The book is Buck Fever by Ben Rehder.
Profile Image
months in Virgin River and there was an ache in his chest he just couldn't ease.

Second Chance Pass, by Robyn Carr.
Profile Image
her near-empty oil lamp.

Sandry's Book (Circle of Magic) - Tamora Pierce
Profile Image
and mystery were two invisible chains which seemed to link all his fellow pilgrims as they wandered down the old Roman road towards Canterbury.
From The Midnight Man by Paul Doherty
Profile Image
From All the Beauty of the Sun by Marion Husband
Profile Image
and all over London the bars were being drawn back from pit and gallery doors.
From The Man in the Queue by Josephine Tey
Profile Image
just south of its ruled border with Pennsylvania, the Mason-Dixon line.
From Mary Curzon by Nigel Nicolson
Profile Image
and he had a closed eye, a split lip and a football-sized knee from a truncheon blow.

from Blue Noon by Robert Ryan
Profile Image

Am I happy?

From My Secret Lover by Imogen Parker
Profile Image
overlooking the wild heathland of Melrose.
From the Prologue to The Templar by Paul Doherty
The first chapter begins: Duelling eagles had been seen fighting above the black curtain of trees, whilst in the night sky javelin threatened javelin beneath crossed swords.
Profile Image
who covered her long bald palate with a yellow scarf that trailed down her back like a tail. The book is Ginny Gall by ChRles Smith.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.