corner corner What is your weekend reading? (October 28 through 30)

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What is your weekend reading? (October 28 through 30)

Time for a new thread. It's the weekend (and we will squeeze Monday in there too)! What are you reading? Tell us anything you would like to about the book(s).

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Time for a new thread. It's the weekend (and we will squeeze Monday in there too)! What are you reading? Tell us anything you would like to about the book(s).
Profile Image
St Martin's Press sent me this ARC. I am just on the first few pages so far.

There are three things that I have to remember about Amber while reading this book:

She is in a coma.

Her husband doesn't love her any more.

Sometimes she lies.
Profile Image
A very grisly horror anthology, Jack's Magic Beans ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14737833 ) - yet another in the books I'd saved up for the Spooky October challenge that I want to finish in time to release this month. Not long left!

The Last Town on Earth ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14722295/ ) is about a remote village threatened by a plague - but risking even worse results by attempting a strict quarantine.
Profile Image
Foyle is Chairman Of The Board of W & G Foyle Ltd, a chain of bookstores founded in 1903, that includes the biggest bookstore in England
Profile Image
Fear of flying by Erica Jong and it is as much 'not my thing' as I expected. First person, lots written about visits to psychologists, sex... I will finish it, because I want to know if there's a clue, a development towards....

The second book is Kristin Lavransdochter by Sigrid Undset. Completely different from book 1. A biggy that I won't finish this weekend, but that's okay. Lots of people, relations, things happening in the book, but since it's set around 1500 in Norway the book's pace is quite slow.
Profile Image
Library hardback to be read as a priority, but only at home: Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell - a stand-alone set in the Elizabethan theatre, narrated by Will Shakespeare's younger brother Richard, seems OK so far

Nonfiction for my SIY Challenge, also to be read at home, probably only a chapter a day, the print looks fairly small: Travelling to Infinity, My Life with Stephen by Jane Hawking, subtitled/tagged: The True Story Behind the Theory of Everything

Something frivolous for carrying around on the Kindle, to be started when I next leave the house or just need a light-hearted alternative to the above: Rome is Where the Heart is by Tilly Tennant :-)
Profile Image
Something frivolous for carrying around on the Kindle, to be started when I next leave the house or just need a light-hearted alternative to the above: Rome is Where the Heart is by Tilly Tennant :-)

A couple of days later and I still haven't started it . . .
Instead, I've read The Tower is Full of Ghosts Today by Alison Weir, an e-short to accompany her novel on Anne Boleyn, part of her Six Tudor Queens series. The Kindle file also includes the first chapters of the first three in the series, including Katherine Seymour: the Haunted Queen to be published next May.
And I've picked up a Kindle novella, Christmas with the Book Lovers by Victoria Connelly - I've enjoyed her three novels about the Nightingale family who run three bookshops in rural Suffolk and look forward to an update :-)
Profile Image
And I've picked up a Kindle novella, Christmas with the Book Lovers by Victoria Connelly - I've enjoyed her three novels about the Nightingale family who run three bookshops in rural Suffolk and look forward to an update :-)

It was good to spend Christmas Eve with the extended family :-)
Happy Christmas, everyone!
Profile Image
Library hardback to be read as a priority, but only at home: Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell - a stand-alone set in the Elizabethan theatre, narrated by Will Shakespeare's younger brother Richard, seems OK so far

Disappointing! It didn't stay even as good as OK and I'm returning it to the library unfinished. For some reason I couldn't get into it, don't know why. I left it and tried again later a couple of times but could never summon enough enthusiasm to keep going . . . .
Profile Image
...( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14755577/ ), by Drew Magary, a funny/touching/scary set of essays on the ups and downs of parenthood.
Profile Image
Anne Hillerman's "Song of the Lion", a Leaphorn, Chee & Manuelito novel.

Also "The Purple Swamp Hen and other stories", a collection of short stories by Penelope Lively.
Profile Image
A Surrey State of Affairs by Ceri Radford

A woman in her 50's discovers the internet and at the urging of her son starts a blog. It is written as her blog entries,

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.