corner corner Discovering new books by "happy accident"

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Discovering new books by "happy accident"

Love this ending paragraph to an article I read on the Paris Review website about discovering books serendipitously - sort of sums up what we try to do in Bookcrossing:

"I want to be in praise of the happy accident. It wasn’t even a bookstore where I found Jean Stafford. It was a thrift store, and that’s what’s so amazing—finding books in the wrong places. When I’m finished with a book, I often like to put them on a bench of a café outside. It could just wind up in a dumpster, but somebody could find it, you know? I believe in the wrong reader, in the wrong book. We’re just bodies moving in space and just accidentally you sometimes pick something up … just because you like a book’s title, or its cover, or because it just happens to be nearby. You could stay in some guesthouse anywhere in the world, and there’s three books there, and one of them changed your life. I love to be an agent of that. You never know what’s going to happen when you leave a book someplace."

:)

Full article here:
https://www.theparisreview.org/---/happy-accidents

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Love this ending paragraph to an article I read on the Paris Review website about discovering books serendipitously - sort of sums up what we try to do in Bookcrossing:

"I want to be in praise of the happy accident. It wasn’t even a bookstore where I found Jean Stafford. It was a thrift store, and that’s what’s so amazing—finding books in the wrong places. When I’m finished with a book, I often like to put them on a bench of a café outside. It could just wind up in a dumpster, but somebody could find it, you know? I believe in the wrong reader, in the wrong book. We’re just bodies moving in space and just accidentally you sometimes pick something up … just because you like a book’s title, or its cover, or because it just happens to be nearby. You could stay in some guesthouse anywhere in the world, and there’s three books there, and one of them changed your life. I love to be an agent of that. You never know what’s going to happen when you leave a book someplace."

:)

Full article here:
https://www.theparisreview.org/---/happy-accidents/
Profile Image
I enjoyed the article, especially the bits about grotty used book stores and happy accidents - though I did find myself looking for a "comment" button with which to mention BookCrossing! (Though I find that I'm happier about my wild releases when I don't linger in hope that they'll turn into someone else's happy accidents; it's lovely when it happens, and I've had some charming "found this, loved it, seeking more by this author/in this genre" JEs, but if I let myself anticipate such responses it leads to a letdown.)

To the article, I'd only add that some of my own happy accidents have involved unexpectedly good books from the top of the best-seller lists and/or the heavy-marketing-campaign machines - though I'm also wildly fond of the "quirky title in battered cover seen at the bottom of a rickety shelf in a secondhand bookstore".
Profile Image
I enjoyed the article, especially the bits about grotty used book stores and happy accidents - though I did find myself looking for a "comment" button with which to mention BookCrossing!

With you there, on both counts. :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.