corner corner The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The House of the Mosque by Kader Abdolah

I read The House of the Mosque and really enjoyed it, partly because I enjoy contemporary stories from beyond the western metropolitan setting.

However, when I came to register it and the cover art disappeared, I found that the GoodReads rating was low, with many people rating it boring.

Have you read it? Did you find it boring, or a rich description of a different way of life?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I read The House of the Mosque and really enjoyed it, partly because I enjoy contemporary stories from beyond the western metropolitan setting.

However, when I came to register it and the cover art disappeared, I found that the GoodReads rating was low, with many people rating it boring.

Have you read it? Did you find it boring, or a rich description of a different way of life?
Profile Image
I loved it. Read it in Dutch a few years ago. I like his writing style but I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Profile Image
I also originally read it in Dutch because Kader Abdolah was recommended on the Dutch forum as being suitable for someone learning Dutch and I found his use of Dutch very clear. But I realised on re-reading the English translation that I'd missed some of the subtleties, and that's why I rated it more highly this time.
Profile Image
Engelsman, how would you rate the translation?
Profile Image
Engelsman, how would you rate the translation?

I didn't notice a different "feel" to the English translation but I can't make a direct comparison because it's been five years since I read (and released) the original Dutch version.

I'm no expert on Dutch literature, but Kader Abdolah is an author who writes relatively short sentences and very clear prose, which is no doubt why he was recommended to me. But I do wonder whether it is this simplicity that made the Good Reads reviewers think the story was boring.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.