corner corner The Martian - Thanks!

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

The Martian - Thanks!

I just wanted to thank you all for recommending The Martian a few years ago. Based partly on your good reviews (coming from a diverse group) I chose it for a book club book. We haven't even met yet and two poeple have said they never would have chosen it but really liked it. I love when we get a surprise hit like that. So, Thanks! :)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I just wanted to thank you all for recommending The Martian a few years ago. Based partly on your good reviews (coming from a diverse group) I chose it for a book club book. We haven't even met yet and two poeple have said they never would have chosen it but really liked it. I love when we get a surprise hit like that. So, Thanks! :)
Profile Image
I don't know if mine was among those recommendations, but I'm glad your book-group folk are enjoying it - it was one of my top reads of the year when I first read it (and listened to it; the audiobook version is AWESOME!).

Update: forgot to add a link to one of the copies I've released ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14630213/ ); that makes six so far {wry grin}.
Profile Image
I think you probably were one of the influences Gory, I remember now when you said you loved it, and I trust your book reviews! :)
Profile Image
the audiobook version is AWESOME!).

I absolutely second this: the audio version rocked.
Profile Image
Glad you are getting good feedback. Andy Weir has a new book out: Artemis which is billed as a heist story set on the moon. Sounds intriguing.
Profile Image
I just read a teaser chapter in The Martian. I had no idea it was a heist story but it was indeed intriguing.
Profile Image
Glad you are getting good feedback. Andy Weir has a new book out: Artemis which is billed as a heist story set on the moon. Sounds intriguing.

Goodreads has a giveaway for Artemis...They keep repeating it after the deadline ends they have been putting it up for a giveaway again. So might have multiple chances of winning a copy!
https://www.goodreads.com/---/256966-artemis
25 copies up for the giveaway.
Profile Image
Goodreads has a giveaway for Artemis...

And for today (the 17th) only, Amazon (probably just the UK version) has The Martian as its Kindle Daily Deal for 99 pence, should anyone fancy an e-copy!
Profile Image
Winners have been selected.
Profile Image
I stumbled across The Martian in the bookshelf at work last year, and had a look at the first pages. Hadn't really thought of reading it before, but after starting to read it, I simply had to read the entire book!
Profile Image

Artemis

They're having another giveaway for Artemis, only 10 copies this time.

https://www.goodreads.com/---/260518-artemis

If you have a Goodreads account, you can add this book to your to-read shelf and every time it's up for a giveaway, they'll send you an email to let you know.
Profile Image

The Martian

Based on this thread I finally listened to The Martian on CD that has been gathering dust on my shelf for a loooong time. I am so glad I did! It isn't something I would normally think to be interested in, but it was great!
Profile Image
Cool, Glad you liked it too!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.