corner corner 10/13 - 10/15 books read. What kind are they?

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

10/13 - 10/15 books read. What kind are they?

I have started book 1 in a series of 4. The book is called Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. Basically, everything in Oz has gone way down hill and it is because Dorothy came back, took control and now wants all the magic in Oz. A group of rebels is plotting her death.

I guess this works for a Halloween type book, seeing as it is full of witches and scary flying monkeys and such.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I have started book 1 in a series of 4. The book is called Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige. Basically, everything in Oz has gone way down hill and it is because Dorothy came back, took control and now wants all the magic in Oz. A group of rebels is plotting her death.

I guess this works for a Halloween type book, seeing as it is full of witches and scary flying monkeys and such.
Profile Image
I'm reading "Long Life" by Mary Oliver (not yet registered). It's a collection of her essays with a few of her poems thrown in for good measure. :)
Profile Image
although I have bookmarks in four!

The active one is The Early Birds by Laurie Graham which I started this morning. Sequel to The Future Homemakers of America, it revisits the friends in later life, starting in 1999, narrated by Peggy - and I'm loving it already :-)

This afternoon I read several chapters of Queens of the Conquest by Alison Weir but will now give it a rest until Monday. It's the first of four planned volumes detailing the lives of the English Queens from 1066 to 1485. So far I've read the sections on Matilda of Flanders, Matilda of Scotland and Adeliza of Louvain, with Matilda of Boulogne and the Empress Maud being covered in Part 4.

The Sultan's Wife by Jane Johnson is a novel set in the 17th century which I've been reading off and on since the 19th of last month - and now it's off again! It doesn't hold my interest for long but isn't so boring that I'm abandoning it completely, I just feel vaguely lukewarm about it!

And I still haven't resumed the novel I started a couple of days before that, the one that was dragging and caused me to take a break in favour of The Sultan's Wife! It's Godiva by Nerys Jones, set in pre-Conquest England - maybe one day . . . .
Profile Image
The active one is The Early Birds by Laurie Graham which I started this morning. Sequel to The Future Homemakers of America, it revisits the friends in later life, starting in 1999, narrated by Peggy - and I'm loving it already :-)

And I carried on loving it from start to finish! Another entertaining novel from this entertaining novelist :-)
I'm reading the last of my birthday downloads next: If My Father Loved Me by Rosie Thomas, another author who never lets me down!
Profile Image
although I have bookmarks in four!

If in doubt, start another one . . . . :-)
A second nonfiction, Raven Seek Thy Brother by Gavin Maxwell, another of his memoirs, later in his life than Ring of Bright Water
Profile Image
I've just started Sharyn McCrumb's latest, "The Unquiet Grave". Like many of her books, it's based on a true story of love and death and ghosts.

I'm also dipping into Domenico de Paoli's "Monteverdi", a very timely find at last weekend's used book sale. "Timely" because this weekend I am seeing all three of Monteverdi's extant operas, directed by John Eliot Gardner, so I'm reading the bits about those works.
Profile Image
although she has written many books:

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson. It's written in free verse, and that makes for quick reading. It's lovely and lyrical and enchanting. I love when a book has a family tree at the beginning, and this one does, with a bonus at the end: photos of all the people in that family tree. I know of at least one other book by her that is getting a lot of praise over on Library Thing. It's called Another Brooklyn and I will be looking for that soon.

Still listening to Lisette's List by Susan Vreeland on audio. It stated slowly for me but I am fully engaged now. I love Vreeland's books and have read most of them, including her one book of short stories.
Profile Image

Reading:

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins. (library book) Supposed to be a thriller.

I have been in a reading slump ... more like falling asleep too tired to read. Finally started this one today and Its been about 50 pages of character introductions. Hopefully, it will pick up soon as I really enjoyed Girl on the Train. Off now to read a few more chapters.
Profile Image
A book about two Russian teen aged friends that were separated while living in New York.
Profile Image
READING
1. The Names of the Holy Spirit by Elmer L. Towns NF [252 pages] -- this is an inspirational read; I read a little each morning

2. Original Sin by J. D. James 6/6/17 [415 pages] -- just started listening to this on my phone; it is a mystery; don't know much as I have only listened to about 30 minutes

3. Lincoln's Melancholy by Joshua Wolf Shenk 11/10/16 KTM audio - a non-fiction book on CD that I am listening to in my car; almost done the first book; I believe this will be informative

4. The Dollmaker by Harriett Arnow KTM 3/14/15 [607 pages] - a saga of a family from KY that moved to Detroit. set during WWII. It was written in 1954

ALL YEAR: God's Best for My Life by Lloyd John Ogilvie and New Testament (A challenge with my grandchildren)
Profile Image
...Blossom Culp and the Sleep of Death ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14762550/ ) - looks rather fun. And then there's a family-saga/suspense-novel-with-supernatural-elements, The String Diaries ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14762247/ ) - never heard of it before, but it turned up at a local thrift shop and caught my eye.
Profile Image
'The Power Of One' by Bryce Courtenay

Peekay has just witnessed the railwayman's victory over the huge miner...
Profile Image
IT by Stephen King A perfectly creepy one. Watch out for the clown.

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult
Profile Image
It is a Middle Grade Fantasy. A human princess and a fairy magically switch places for three days to settle a bet made by the fairy's brother.
Profile Image
What Did You Eat Yesterday, Vol. 10 ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14291278/ ) - graphic novel, slice-of-life variety, with emphasis on food. It's a low-key series, but I like it very much.

And for something a bit more Halloween-y, there's Rod Serling's Twilight Zone ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14747302/ ), stories from the original TV series.
Profile Image
Also managed to read this very short book in about an hour. A reimagined fairy tale about Sleeping Beauty (although the name is never mentioned). A kind of "girls rule" story, as no Prince Charming is required.

Again, some witches are involved.
Profile Image
... "Prodigal Summer" by Barbara Kingsolver ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11263090 ). This is my first Kingsolver book and it seems very promising so far! I am about 50 pages in. As for its type, I would describe it as literary fiction.
Profile Image
Cross Justice by James Patterson
Profile Image
New carrying-around book is an anthology of horror stories, Break of Dark ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14755529/ ) by Robert Westall. Very enjoyable so far.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.