corner corner What are you reading to start the week? (October 9 through 11)

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What are you reading to start the week? (October 9 through 11)

Looks like we need a new thread! What are you reading? Tell us anything you'd like to about the book(s).

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Looks like we need a new thread! What are you reading? Tell us anything you'd like to about the book(s).
Profile Image
This is his retelling of the Oresteia, and, not surprisingly, it's brilliant: http://www.librarything.com/---/18662293

Profile Image
... "Harmony" by Carolyn Parkhurst (not yet registered). I have read and enjoyed two of her novels previously, so let's see if she can go three for three with me. :)
Profile Image
is the title of the first of two short novels in the one cover, both by Nevil Shute, published after his death... the second novel is titled 'Pilotage'

The first novel (Stephen Morris) is almost a treatise on airplane design; full of facts and figures woven into the story of a WW1 pilot working as a technician in a private airplane company after the war

We learn of the difficulties faced by pilots who were no longer needed by the Royal Flying Corps... they 'hung on', living for the day commercial flights would occur

The first novel is of 120 pages, and the second 108

Profile Image
by Carolyn Hart. It's the second book in a mystery series. I just started it, but I have to say it is a good book. It's about a ghost on an assignment from heaven to protect a little boy,

First book I've read by this author and I'm enjoying it so far.
Profile Image
...I'm still enjoying One Day ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10459492/ ), which keeps delighting me with little turns-of-phrase and character vignettes.

About to start Never the Bride ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14755605/ ), a book I chose in part because of its marvelous cover-art; will see if it lives up to the cover!
Profile Image
...About to start Never the Bride ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14755605/ ), a book I chose in part because of its marvelous cover-art; will see if it lives up to the cover!

I really liked that one! (And the rest of the series too)
Profile Image
Library hardback: Queens of the Conquest by Alison Weir, the first in a series that will cover English queens from 1066 to 1485. I've just finished the first part of the first one which details Matilda of Flanders, wife of William the Bastard. Part two moves on to Matilda of Scotland, first queen of Henry I.

Long, very long, epic on the Kindle: A Column of Fire by Ken Follett, the third of his Kingsbridge novels, set in the 16th century, a time of religious upheaval and conflict, with religious intolerance being a major theme through the various strands of the story.

Alternative novel for when I need a well-earned break from cruelty, fear and loathing in the name of religion, also on the Kindle: In This Grave Hour by Jacqueline Winspear, the 13th Maisie Dobbs mystery, starting in September 1939 as war is declared. Belgian refugees from the Great War are being murdered . . . .
Profile Image
In This Grave Hour by Jacqueline Winspear, the 13th Maisie Dobbs mystery, starting in September 1939 as war is declared. Belgian refugees from the Great War are being murdered . . . .

Finished it. Very impressed. As always with this series, it's thought-provoking, well beyond any question of who or what might be responsible for what crimes!
Something fun to replace it: The Early Birds by Laurie Graham, which I understand to be a sequel to The Future Homemakers of America, visiting the same group of friends 50 years later!

Correction: Looks like it might be 40 rather than 50 . . . haven't started it yet!
Profile Image
In This Grave Hour by Jacqueline Winspear, the 13th Maisie Dobbs mystery, starting in September 1939 as war is declared. Belgian refugees from the Great War are being murdered . . . .

Finished it. Very impressed. As always with this series, it's thought-provoking, well beyond any question of who or what might be responsible for what crimes!

I've enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs books, from the first one ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12707073/ ) on, but haven't got the new one yet - sounds good, though after all she and her nearest and dearest went through in the first world war it seems cruel to take them on into WWII!
Profile Image
I've enjoyed the Maisie Dobbs books, from the first one ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12707073/ ) on, but haven't got the new one yet - sounds good, though after all she and her nearest and dearest went through in the first world war it seems cruel to take them on into WWII!

Yes, unfortunately, it's starting all over again! Apparently Book 14 is ready for publication in March 2018. Looking forward to it already :-)
Profile Image
Long, very long, epic on the Kindle: A Column of Fire by Ken Follett, the third of his Kingsbridge novels, set in the 16th century, a time of religious upheaval and conflict, with religious intolerance being a major theme through the various strands of the story.

Good, very good, starting with Mary Tudor on the throne and ending in the reign of James I, covering such memorable events as the St Bartholomew's Day Massacre, the execution of Mary Queen of Scots, the Spanish Armada, the Gunpowder Plot . . . . with an extended family and their love stories at the heart of it . . . .
Next I think I'd best resume (or at least try to) the paperback I put aside to read birthday gifts and library reservations and such like: The Sultan's Wife by Jane Johnson, although I admit I can't summon much enthusiasm to do so!
Profile Image
Well, to me at least :)

Now well into 'Pilotage', the second of the two novels within the one cover with the title 'Stephen Morris', both by Nevil Shute

There are several characters common to both stories...

And the peculiar sentence?

'The sky turned slowly to a deeper blue than ever the Council of the garden suburb had dared to paint the dial of a clock.'
Profile Image
IT by Stephen King My dilemma was movie then book or book then movie. Found the book so it's first. Scary or not I enjoy reading King and the way he puts out words.

Keeping Faith by Jodi Picoult for when the scaries get too much in reading King.

Profile Image
First I started Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh. I'm only 60 pages in and find my mind sometimes wandering, so I'm not yet sure if I'll end up finishing it.

Then I received Save a Truck, Ride a Redneck, by Molly Harper, from Netgalley, which I'm reading on my phone. Since it's a review book, it takes precedence over Brideshead, so after I finish it I'll go back to Brideshead and hope to get more caught up in it.
Profile Image
Finished Save a Truck yesterday, so my nighttime read was Brideshead, and I'm happy to report that I did get quite caught up with no wandering mind.
Profile Image
READING
1. The Names of the Holy Spirit by Elmer L. Towns -- reading a little each morning for inspiration; over 1/2 done

2. Duma Key by Stephen King audio -- just started today; I am listening to this on my phone

3. Saying it Well by Chuck Swindoll audio -- listening to in the car; I am on my last CD; need to find a new listener

4. The Dollmaker by Harriett Arnow KTM -- This is my evening read; it is slow reading; not quiet 1/2 way done

ALL YEAR: God's Best for My Life by Lloyd John Ogilvie and New Testament (A challenge with my grandchildren)
Profile Image
Just finished Wolf Hollow-so sad, now I'm reading Book Scavenger the Unbreakable Code by Jennifer Chambliss Bertman
Profile Image
It's book one in The Cousin's O'Dwyer trilogy and so far very good.
Profile Image
I will be starting this tonight. I have always been a big fan of Wizard of Oz, with Dorothy and all her friends. I have read not only Wizard of Oz, but all the rest in the series.

So when I saw this book, I was curious. Why does the "other" girl from Kansas want to kill Dorothy and steal back the Lion's courage, The Tinman's heart and the Scarecrow's brain? There are four books in this series, guess we will see.
Profile Image
~Goodbye, sweet homeland
This is the most recent book of this author, written on 2015 and translated/published in Greek on 2016. It takes place on the first few decades of 20th century in the Ottoman Empire/Turkish democracy.

Weirdly enough, this popular Turkish author has been translated in many languages, but only a few of his books seem to be available in English...
Profile Image
Quite enjoying this variation on Sherlock Holmes stories (it's told from Mary Russell's - his wife's point of view).
Profile Image
It's starting out a little slow but I am sure it will get more interesting

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.