corner corner What are you reading Sept 29 - Oct 3?

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

What are you reading Sept 29 - Oct 3?

What are you plans for the book?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
What are you plans for the book?
Profile Image
A children's book that I've never read before. To be released for the You're Such an Animal Release Challenge which ends on Oct 8th.
Profile Image
A book that goes back to the library next week.
Profile Image

My two

Hardback: The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory - 16th century adventures of the Grey sisters. Jane's been executed and Katherine's taken over the first person narration. To be kept on my keeper shelves for a while on completion.

Kindle: Glass Houses by Louise Penny - 13th Armand Gamache mystery. As page-turning as I was expecting, can hardly put it down, not just for carrying-around, the Grey sisters wil probably be ignored for a while . . . . To be archived - and quite soon, I believe :-)
Profile Image

RE: My two

Kindle: Glass Houses by Louise Penny - 13th Armand Gamache mystery. As page-turning as I was expecting, can hardly put it down, not just for carrying-around, the Grey sisters wil probably be ignored for a while . . . . To be archived - and quite soon, I believe :-)

Well, I started it with my breakfast and finished it before bedtime, so, yes, it was archived very soon!!! Conscience, morality, justice and drugs - a lot to think about . . . . And no. 14 will no doubt bring further interesting developments . . . .
Something relaxing for the weekend next: Natural Born Readers by Victoria Connelly - also to be archived on completion
Profile Image
...and really enjoyed it ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14709934/ ), though as I mentioned in my review, it's looking like Three Pines is no longer "the little town that wasn't there" - entirely too many unpleasant people seem to know about it now!
Profile Image
...and really enjoyed it ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14709934/ ), though as I mentioned in my review, it's looking like Three Pines is no longer "the little town that wasn't there" - entirely too many unpleasant people seem to know about it now!

Yes, it's getting to be the centre of the universe :-(
And there's certainly plenty of scope for the 14th book in the series!
Ruth remains one of my favourite characters - or two of them, if you count Rosa, which I do!
Profile Image
Remarkable book full of stories of Scots from all over the World

Stories from Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, England, Ethiopia, France, Germany, India, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Lithuania, Malawi, Netherlands (The), New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Norway, Pakistan, Palestine, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Russia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Taiwan, Tristan da Cuhna, USA and Zimbabwe

Each story is accompanied by a 50mm X 50mm illustration of a tapestry depicting the story of the individual concerned, worked and submitted by a descendant

The stories go right back in time... fascinating stuff

The book will return from whence it came
Profile Image
Something relaxing for the weekend next: Natural Born Readers by Victoria Connelly - also to be archived on completion

Finished it. The sort of easy reading I was expecting. The third visit to the Nightingale family, owners of village bookshops :-)
My next Kindle read will be another of my birthday downloads: A Column of Fire by Ken Follett, the third of his Pillars of the Earth series, following World Without End. Looks good!
Profile Image
The first day of the new month and I'm starting my next nonfiction, on loan from a friend who went to the school attached to the convent where Sister Agatha spent much of her life. The front cover says it's: The deeply moving true story of giving up a life of love and luxury in a single irresistible moment.
Profile Image

RE: My two

Hardback: The Last Tudor by Philippa Gregory - 16th century adventures of the Grey sisters. Jane's been executed and Katherine's taken over the first person narration. To be kept on my keeper shelves for a while on completion.

I've now finished this fascinating story from a fascinating period. It's good but it's not a page-turner and not one to love, just one to enjoy/appreciate.
Rather than resume the paperback I put to one side to read The Last Tudor, I think I'll concentrate on Ken Follett's A Column of Fire on the Kindle - it's too long, too appealing and too long-awaited to only carry around!
Profile Image
it's too long, too appealing and too long-awaited to only carry around!

I'll keep it for reading at home where I can concentrate. For carrying around I've chosen The Cornish Short Story Collection by Fern Britton: The Stolen Weekend, A Cornish Carol and The Beach Cabin
Profile Image
It will go back to the library.
Profile Image
A classic in the genre! :)
Profile Image
It's a fiction book about a middle-aged woman coming back to her childhood home. Will probably wild release it.
Profile Image
Death of a Stranger by Anne Perry (one of my 40 oldest books received from others)
and
Kristin Lavransdochter by Sigrid Undset (1001-listed book)
Profile Image
Almost done with this read and it will be heading back to the library when I am finished.

Into the Water by Paula Hawkins is next up. Also a library book.
Profile Image
Both The Association by Bentley Little and Plants vs. Zombies Volume 3: Bully For You (graphic novel) on Kindle, and then also Star Wars: Darth Plagueis by James Luceno on audio.
Profile Image
Will Grayson, Will Grayson ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14679881/ ), an entertaining coming-of-age tale; I wanted to release this for Banned Books Week, but that means I have to scramble to finish it!

The Fo'c'sle ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14617894/ ), a children's-book adaptation of Henry Beston's wonderful Outermost House, about the year he spent in a tiny hut on the shore of Cape Cod. This'll be a very quick read, of course, and will probably go into one of the LFLs in town once I'm done.
Profile Image
Sort of 'stuck' in Atlantis, Mu and Lemuria, the chapter heading for where I am up to in

'Storia dei Luoghi e delle Terre Leggendarie' by Umberto Eco

Might give it a rest for a while methinks...

Profile Image
I am reading The Main Corpse, a mystery, and I will send it to a friend when Im done
Profile Image
Whistling Past The Graveyard by Susan Crandall. It will go back to the library where I got it when I'm done.

Profile Image
Who Needs Decaf? by Tanya Michaels http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6932670

probably will get wild released, maybe for the food&drink challenge
Profile Image
This one I picked up at a local thrift shop, because the title suited October's Tick-Tock challenge:

A History of the World in 10 1/2 Chapters ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14721240/ )

So far I'm enjoying it. It's an unusual collection of loosely-linked short stories, ranging from some woodworms' view of Noah and the Ark to an in-depth look at Géricault's painting "Raft of the Medusa". (There's even a fold-out reproduction of the painting in the middle of the book.)
Profile Image
The Romanov Ransom by Clive Cussler

The 9th in his Sam and Remi Fargo books. It will go back to the library.
Profile Image
...a book that I admit I didn't like and took me ages to finish : (

Now about to start a lighter read, Stormy Weather by Carl Hiaasen, a book ray. I haven't read anything by this author before, I hope I'll like it.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6835306
Profile Image
I'll probably pass it on to my mom when I'm finished.
Profile Image
New carrying-around book is One Day ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10459492/ ), which I picked up at a meetup. It's a look at the relationship between two people - as seen on a single day each year, for a couple of decades. At the start, they're both on the shallow side, but I was amused to read their respective innermost thoughts in contrast with what they said to each other - and from there, things seem to be looking up. Oh, they're both still frustratingly flawed, but I'm enjoying the course that the story is taking.
Profile Image
New carrying-around book is One Day

One of my favourite modern novels - and the film isn't bad either :-)
Profile Image
It will go back to the library.

Magnus and his friends set sail for the farthest borders of Jotunheim and Niflheim in pursuit of Asgard's greatest threat, Loki's demonic ship full of zombies.
Profile Image
READING
1. The Names of the Holy Spirit by Elmer L. Towns NF [252 pages] -- I read a little each morning for inspiration; I am planning on keeping this book

2. The Lady of the River by Philippa Gregory -- just beginning this book; I have a hard copy but I am listening to a download from the library; I will probably send it to a military family through Operation Paperback

3. Saying it Well by Chuck Swindoll audio [288 pages] -- listening to in the car; I have two discs left; not sure what I will do with it yet but I will find it a new home

4. The Dollmaker by Harriett Arnow KTM 3/14/15 [607 pages] -- just beginning tonight; probably will offer it up in the ABC VBB

ALL YEAR: God's Best for My Life by Lloyd John Ogilvie and New Testament (A challenge with my grandchildren)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.