corner corner September Readathon ended!

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

September Readathon ended!

I do not know why my life has been so crazy lately. I never checked in at the end of the August Readathon and actually made my 24 hour goal. Now here it is time for another readathon. This one will be a simple seven days and begins this Friday.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 21 September at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 22 September in your timezone. We will read for 7 full days and nights and stop as Thursday 28 September 2359 pm becomes Friday 29 September in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I do not know why my life has been so crazy lately. I never checked in at the end of the August Readathon and actually made my 24 hour goal. Now here it is time for another readathon. This one will be a simple seven days and begins this Friday.

What is a readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting - just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books - anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it, please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START on Thursday 21 September at 2359 pm as it turns to midnight Friday 22 September in your timezone. We will read for 7 full days and nights and stop as Thursday 28 September 2359 pm becomes Friday 29 September in your timezone.

What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes, we post our final totals and the sign-up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully, we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading - this is a fun challenge! Lately, we have been "accepting our weaknesses" and choosing lower numbers with 24 hours being the ultimate goal.
Profile Image
I'll aim for 14 hours.
Profile Image
I'll aim for 14 hours.

Of course not!

I will keep to 7 hours have a hectic weekend coming up :-)
Profile Image

I'm in!

I'll be traveling a couple of those days. I will say 14 hours also.
Profile Image
I do not know why my life has been so crazy lately. I never checked in at the end of the August Readathon and actually made my 24 hour goal.

Well, that's super! Belated congratulations. :)
Profile Image
...but there's a good chance I won't make it. The next week and a half will be *busy* at work, and when that happens I'm pretty brain dead once I get home. Still, goals are to give us something to aspire to, right? :)
Profile Image
......goals are to give us something to aspire to, right? :)

Yes they are!
Profile Image
And finishing the book I'm reading (The Coincidence Authority by John Ironmonger).

Oh and belated congrats Kate with the 24 hrs :)
Profile Image
I didn't do well on last month's readathon. I hope I can do better with this one. I hope to finish at least two books.
Profile Image
and every teensy bit helps.

Going for 12 hours - and finishing or making tracks in 3 books:
• Everything She Forgot by Lisa Ballantyne https://www.librarything.com/---/reviews - going for a finish on this one because the book club discussion is Tuesday night
• Sycamore Row by John Grisham http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12647798 listened to 3/4 of this on a recent road trip, put aside until book club book is done, then will finish
• Dancing with Cranes by Alison Balance http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9811597 about 1/4 done this wonderful book about a NZ wildlife filmmaker, documenting the cranes that migrate over the Himalayas. Who knew?

Profile Image
Well, here we go...with my standard timing issues (mostly forgetting to RUN the timer!) on the first day. I'll need to do better if I want to get anywhere close to 24 hours...

CONTINUING:

◦ The Winter Over by Matthew Iden
Audio download read by Karen Peakes

Suspense, set at the South Pole. I'm not really crazy about the reader's growly "male" voices, but I'm persisting.

◦ Forged in Blood; edited by Michael Z. Williamson
E-book

Short stories, all built around a particular sword. I'm on the third tale, and we're up to 1904; since this collection is billed as being part of the same universe as Williamson's novel Freehold, I'm guessing the blade will turn out to be the same one eventually owned by Kendra in that book.

◦ For Colored Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Still Not Enough: Coming of Age, Coming Out, and Coming Home
Edited by Keith Boykin
Nonfiction

Being read for a looming bookbox. Heartbreaking stuff, all from the authors' lives (Boykin mentions in the acknowledgments that they were unable to accept some terrific submissions because they were fiction). I keep reminding myself that despite all that they've been through, the men who wrote these pieces are the survivors.

I have at least half a dozen others at various stages and levels of hibernation: I'll mention them here if & when I get back to them. A couple of them are holdovers from last month.

===========

Overall time:

Day 1 (Fri 9/22): 2 hrs 58 mins

Running total for September: 2 hrs 58 mins

Goal: 24 hours in 7 days
Profile Image
I'm reading Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter by Lucinda Hawksey. Almost all documents regarding Princess Louise have been taken and sealed in Royal Archives. She was an artist and a champion of women's rights. I'll try to finish it on the plane today.
Profile Image
I am trying to keep an eye on the readathon threads for a while now, but I miss the beginning (or worse: the whole week) every month...
Would it be safe to assume, that the readathons are starting on the last Friday of every month? If so, I could set a reminder and not miss one anymore.
Profile Image
I am trying to keep an eye on the readathon threads for a while now, but I miss the beginning (or worse: the whole week) every month...

Well, you can start late and adjust your goal accordingly...

Would it be safe to assume, that the readathons are starting on the last Friday of every month? If so, I could set a reminder and not miss one anymore.

I try to remember to look at the forum threads around the middle of the month to check, and it does usually start on Friday - usually around the last week of the month I think. Sometimes at the end of the readathon Katethegreyt will give the dates for the next month.
Profile Image
Day 1: 2 hrs. 47 min.

I'm reading, The World According to Bob. I do enjoy true stories about people and their pets.
Profile Image
with the goal 10 hours
Profile Image
Good start into Everything She Forgot by Lisa Ballantyne https://www.librarything.com/---/reviews A bit odd - I don't know that I would have picked it up if it hadn't been selected for book club

And some light reading too.
Profile Image
Slightly behind target
Profile Image

Progress

I had a nice reading hour and finished getting acquainted with Finnish cuisine (from the book that was presented to me by sakirmo!)

22. 09 - 0
23.09 - 0
24.09 - 1h

Total: 1h out of 10
Profile Image
another 2 chapters in Everything She Forgot
Profile Image
No reading on Friday and Saturday. Today I read 55 mins, probably some more before bed.

Day 1: 0
Day 2: 0
Day 3: 55 mins

Profile Image
Yikes! I don't know where the week went. Fell asleep on the couch last evening trying to catch up with my reading, guess I was a bit tired. 😅
I did finish The Coincidence Authority, which was quite a nice read. And now I'm starting on Fledgling by Octavia Butler.

Day 4: 10 mins
Day 5: 25 mins
Profile Image
A travel day helped boost my time! Hubby and I both like to read on a plane. I finished Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter: A Biography of Princess Louise and started Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton. I've read several of the Agatha Raisin series, but it's been about 20 years and I don't remember anything about them except the titles. I used to say I didn't re-read books, but that was when my memory was better:)
Total = 5 hours and 15 minutes
Profile Image
A travel day helped boost my time! Hubby and I both like to read on a plane. I finished Queen Victoria's Mysterious Daughter: A Biography of Princess Louise and started Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M.C. Beaton. I've read several of the Agatha Raisin series, but it's been about 20 years and I don't remember anything about them except the titles. I used to say I didn't re-read books, but that was when my memory was better:)
Total = 5 hours and 15 minutes

I don't intentionally re-read books, but if it was one before I logged them, sometimes I'm halfway done before realizing it. By that point, might as well finish it!
Profile Image
Not great but I'm reading!
Profile Image
Day 2: 3 hrs. 39 min.
Total: 6 hrs. 26 min.

I'm off to a great start. I finished...The World According to Bob...and...Belief and Work of Seventh-Day Adventists. So, I reached my two books finished goal already. I started a new mystery book...Bookmarked for Death by Lorna Barrett. I also read from Prince Caspian...and from....Guide's Greatest Escape from Crime Stories.
Profile Image
Day 2: 3 hrs. 39 min.
Total: 6 hrs. 26 min.

I'm off to a great start. I finished...The World According to Bob...and...Belief and Work of Seventh-Day Adventists. So, I reached my two books finished goal already. I started a new mystery book...Bookmarked for Death by Lorna Barrett. I also read from Prince Caspian...and from....Guide's Greatest Escape from Crime Stories.

Glad you made your *finished* goal already
Profile Image
Blah. Need to do better if I want to make my goal...

CONTINUING:

◦ For Colored Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Still Not Enough; edited by Keith Boykin

◦ The Roald Dahl Audio Collection
Audio download read by the author

Headed back into this with The Enormous Crocodile (story #4 of 5 in the collection). I needed something a bit lighter after the deep freeze.

FINISHED:

◦ The Winter Over by Matthew Iden
Audio download read by Karen Peakes

Wow, the things people do to each other in the name of science; fortunately this example is fictional. I did suspect who the culprit might be, and at least one character's fate was no surprise, but I wasn't sure about the ultimate result until almost the end. In my experience, this sort of story tends to end in one of two ways: in this case the author went for Option B.

I'll count this as my Antarctica read for the 666 challenge.

===========

Overall time:

Day 2 (Sat 9/23): 2 hrs 13 mins

Running total for September: 5 hrs 11 mins

Profile Image
Caught up a bit, but still behind overall.

STARTED:

◦ Enna Burning by Shannon Hale
Not registered yet

Sequel to Hale's The Goose Girl: Enna's brother Leifer finds a mysterious piece of vellum that allows him to start fires..and a whole lot of trouble ensues. Trying to get this one finished before Saturday, so I can release it for the "Never Judge a Book By Its Cover" challenge.

◦ Menagerie by Rachel Vincent
Audio download read by Gabra Zackman

I'm still in the set-up part of the book, learning about the characters and the world they inhabit. Currently the protagonist is visiting a sideshow/menagerie featuring a lot of cryptids-in-captivity, and I think things are about to go sour for her. I'm interested in learning more background about this world: what exactly was the "Reaping" that changed everything and led to cryptids being hunted, imprisoned, etc.?

CONTINUING:

◦ For Colored Boys Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Still Not Enough; edited by Keith Boykin

◦ The Roald Dahl Audio Collection, read by the author

Finished The Enormous Crocodile; The Magic Finger is going to wait until after Menagerie.

◦ Hagakure: The Code of the Samurai: The Manga Edition
by Yamamoto Tsunetomo; adapted by Sean Michael Wilson
Not registered yet

I understand some parts of the philosophy better than others, but it's interesting. I can't always tell the various samurai apart in the artwork, but that's probably me (they all have the same hairdo, after all). For potential inclusion in the _second_ bookbox that's looming.

FINISHED:

• The Age of Elves, Issue One by Colin Lidston (stamped #134)
Not registered yet: comic from Paper Rocket Minicomics (micropress)
Per the author, "part one of a longer story about the souls of geeks".

Whenever I go to a local SF/fantasy/comic/anime/etc. convention, I feel like a total poseur: I don't cosplay and only get about 25% of the references, I don't _play_ any of the games, I don't follow most of the current movies/shows/comics, etc. And then I read something like this, and even though I'm more than twice the age of these kids, I "get" them...and I understand why I'll keep going to those events. Every once in a while, I'll get the "these *are* my people" vibe and know that I do belong after all. Oh, and I did watch the first episode of the new Star Trek tonight: very interesting, although I probably won't pursue it beyond the paywall.

STARTED AND FINISHED:

• The Age of Elves, Issue Two by Colin Lidston (stamped #99)
Not registered yet: comic from a micropress.

The publisher threw this in with my order as a freebie, and I'm glad, although now I'm waiting for Issue Three. This is why I like omnibus editions, but with something from a press this small, who knows if/when that will happen.

===========

Overall time:

Day 3 (Sun 9/24): 4 hrs 37 mins

Running total for September: 9 hrs 48 mins

Profile Image
Still reading the book club book, but then threw in a bit of Dancing with Cranes, which needs to be finished to hop in the wild book box.
Profile Image
Still behind target.

2 hours 15 mins
Profile Image
Total = 6 hours and 15 minutes
Profile Image
Reading The Final Detail by Harlen Coben and listening to Sail by James Patterson

3 hours 25 mins
Profile Image
Caught up, just...

CONTINUING:

◦ Hagakure: The Code of the Samurai: The Manga Edition

===========

Overall time:

Day 4 (Mon 9/25): 4 hrs 3 mins

Running total for September: 13 hrs 51 mins

Profile Image
Sometimes all it takes is turning off Netflix.
Profile Image

..and not hanging out in the forums..I'll go read now. :p
Profile Image

..and not hanging out in the forums..I'll go read now. :p

Haha sounds familiar :p
Profile Image
Total = 9 hours
Finished Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death.
Profile Image
Day 3: 5 hrs. 55 min.
Total: 12 hrs. 21 min.

I reached my 10 hour goal. I'm doing much better than I thought I would.
Profile Image
Day 4: 4 hrs. 11 min.
Total: 16 hrs. 32 min.

I finished another book...Bookmarked for Death...by Lorna Barrett. I started the next book in her series...Bookplate Special.
Profile Image
Back on target thanks to a bus journey :)

5 hours 25 mins
Profile Image
Back on target thanks to a bus journey :)

5 hours 25 mins

Lucky you: I have to worry about getting carsick if I do that. :s

(Planes & trains are generally ok; buses & cars are often...not.)
Profile Image
So far so good..

CONTINUING:

FINISHED

• Hagakure: The Code of the Samurai: The Manga Edition by Yamamoto Tsunetomo; adapted by Sean Michael Wilson
Still not registered...but it will be.

That's one more potential book for the Far East box which is headed my way any day now...

===========

Overall time:

Day 5 (Tue 9/26): 3 hrs 42 mins

Running total for September: 17 hrs 33 mins

Profile Image
Finished Everything She Forgot, which I can't recommend. It spurred a good book club discussion, but very expected plot.

Now finishing up a Whiskey Creek book + Dancing with Cranes.
Profile Image

Day 5

Day 5: 6 hrs. 22 min.
Total: 22 hrs 54 min.

I finished Bookplate Special by Lorna Barrett and started her next book, Chapter and Hearse. Reading her series has helped me on this readathon and I just might make the 24 hrs.....which I haven't done in a long time.
Profile Image

RE: Day 5

Day 5: 6 hrs. 22 min.
Total: 22 hrs 54 min.

Almost there!!
Profile Image
Hanging in there...

CONTINUING:

FINISHED

• Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

Read The Goose Girl quite a few years ago and don't remember much, but I enjoyed this one. Fire makes a dangerous friend... I found Enna's series of messages near the end quite amusing. :)

===========

Overall time:

Day 6 (Wed 9/27): 3 hrs 49 mins

Running total for September: 21 hrs 22 mins

Profile Image
Hanging in there...

CONTINUING:

FINISHED

• Enna Burning by Shannon Hale

Read The Goose Girl quite a few years ago and don't remember much, but I enjoyed this one. Fire makes a dangerous friend... I found Enna's series of messages near the end quite amusing. :)

===========

Overall time:

Running total for September: 21 hrs 22 mins

It looks like you are almost to the 24 hour mark as well...Just keep reading!
Profile Image
won't even break the double digits this month...sigh......

Finished the light book, and almost done Sycamore Row. But the cranes book is languishing.
Profile Image
Due to train travel :)

I have gone past my target this month and finished a book too. Very happy with that. As I have made my target two months on the trot I think I should make it a little more challenging next month or maybe not!!

8 hours 10 mins
Profile Image

Day 6

Day 6: 6 hrs. 23 min.
Total: 29 hrs. 17 min.

WOW! I made the 24 hour goal!!! I think I've been reading way too much...LOL! I finished reading Chapter & Hearse by Lorna Barrett and started on her next book...Sentenced to Death. I'm really enjoying her books.
Profile Image

RE: Day 6

Day 6: 6 hrs. 23 min.
Total: 29 hrs. 17 min.

WOW! I made the 24 hour goal!!!

Actually, it looks like you blew right past your 24 hour goal and left it in the dust...great job!
Profile Image
CONTINUING:

◦ Menagerie by Rachel Vincent - finished October 3

I'm liking this, but it's book 1 of a series; I'm hoping it won't have too many loose ends.

◦ Forged in Blood; edited by Michael Z. Williamson - finished September 30

Almost done with this one.

Still hoping to finish this one before the box arrives.

STARTED:

◦ Spite Fences by Trudi Krishner

Just barely started this one so I'm not sure what to think of it yet.

===========

Overall time:

Day 7 (Thu 9/28): 3 hrs 21 mins

Running total for September: 24 hrs 43 mins

Profile Image
Congrats on making the goal....You almost always manage it. I am shocked I spent so much time reading...It makes me feel better because I did terrible last month.
Profile Image
No travel :(

Congrats to making it to 24 plus

My total = 8 hours 45 mins this month :)
Profile Image
Didn't make my goal but it's okay.

Holy cow! tomato68 AND hyphen8 blew us out of the water! Maybe I should add an 8 to my moniker. :-)
Profile Image
Maybe I should add an 8 to my moniker. :-)

Well, yours already rhymes. ;)
Profile Image
Maybe I should add an 8 to my moniker. :-)

Well, yours already rhymes. ;)

She could change hers to Katethegr8....LOL!
Profile Image
Didn't make my goal but it's okay.
Holy cow! tomato68 AND hyphen8 blew us out of the water! Maybe I should add an 8 to my moniker. :-)

I need to do the same:)
Profile Image

Days 5-7

Day 5 = 1 hour and 15 minutes
Day 6 = 45 minutes
Day 7 = 2 hours and 30 minutes

Total = 13 hours and 30 minutes
So close to my goal of 14 hours!
Profile Image

Very close indeed: that means you can do it for sure next month, right? ;)
Profile Image

Very close indeed: that means you can do it for sure next month, right? ;)

Thanks for help in staying positive!
Profile Image
I want to read Halloween Weekend, so the October Readathon will be 10/27 - 11/3. A simple seven days.
Profile Image
Oops.. didn't have an audiobook this time, so I guess that makes quite a difference. I did finish the book I was reading (the Coincidence Authority).

Oh well, there is always next RaT. I think I'll pick some Halloween themed reads. :)

Day 4: 10 mins
Day 5: 25 mins
Day 6: 1 hr 40 mins
Day 7: 1 hr 10 mins
Profile Image
Oops.. didn't have an audiobook this time, so I guess that makes quite a difference.

Makes a huge difference for me..and I always make sure to listen to an Audible book during the readathon because the app automatically keeps track of the time for me. :)
Profile Image
I think I'll pick some Halloween themed reads. :)

Hm... that's an idea. ;)
Profile Image
Day 7: 5 hrs. 22 mins.
Total: 34 hrs. 39 min.

I finished Sentenced to Death by Lorna Barrett. I can't believe I spent so much time reading. I injured my back, so that was part of the reason I was able to read so much. My back needed to rest. I also started a mystery series by Lorna Barrett that I found very entertaining and I had most of the books on hand to read. I still need the first book and the last 3 books in the series...9-11. I put number 9 on my wishlist, but sad to say, no one has registered the last two...Title Wave....and....A Just Clause. I might have to settle for finding them at the library.
Profile Image
Day 7: 5 hrs. 22 mins.
Total: 34 hrs. 39 min.

I finished Sentenced to Death by Lorna Barrett. I can't believe I spent so much time reading. I injured my back, so that was part of the reason I was able to read so much. My back needed to rest.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your back: I hope it's better now? You did have a fabulous readathon, although injuring yourself is a rather high price to pay for lots of reading time. :s
Profile Image
Thanks hyphen8...throwing my back out was terrible and I just did it again on Saturday...only not as badly. I'm trying to take it easy and avoid going to the doctor.
Profile Image
I've written down the dates for October :-) Now I won't forget or miss out...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.