corner corner She's not her sister-in-law!!!

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

She's not her sister-in-law!!!

Sorry my book is irrating me at the moment. So i thought i'd whinge here!

One of the characters is getting married and the authour keeps refering to the brides, soon to be father in law's brothers wife as her "future sister in law".

Also, this is part three of a trilogy and the author seems to have rewritten the history of one of the "bit part" characters for this book (especailly her relationship with the main character)

The book is "just a family affair" by Veronica Henry.

So what is annoying you or has annoyed you about the book you are reading or any of the books you have read?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Sorry my book is irrating me at the moment. So i thought i'd whinge here!

One of the characters is getting married and the authour keeps refering to the brides, soon to be father in law's brothers wife as her "future sister in law".

Also, this is part three of a trilogy and the author seems to have rewritten the history of one of the "bit part" characters for this book (especailly her relationship with the main character)

The book is "just a family affair" by Veronica Henry.

So what is annoying you or has annoyed you about the book you are reading or any of the books you have read?

Profile Image

Annoying

Missing or out of place pages!
Profile Image
I read a book not too long ago where the size of the type kept changing a little. Not that it was used for emphasis or anything, just that the publisher was sloppy and inconsistent.

I found it so annoying that I've blocked out which book it was. But not a major publisher obviously. A self-published or publish on demand site most likely.
Profile Image
I read a book not too long ago where the size of the type kept changing a little. Not that it was used for emphasis or anything, just that the publisher was sloppy and inconsistent.

I found it so annoying that I've blocked out which book it was. But not a major publisher obviously. A self-published or publish on demand site most likely.

Wow! that would be annoying.
Profile Image
There's a book I read a few years back that was narrated by two different characters. The font changed, depending on who was narrating. It wasn't something I noticed straight off, but (when I did) I thought it was quite clever.
Profile Image
There's a book I read a few years back that was narrated by two different characters. The font changed, depending on who was narrating. It wasn't something I noticed straight off, but (when I did) I thought it was quite clever.

That would be clever. But the one I was talking about was just random. Sloppy.
Profile Image
That is annoying!

The most annoying moment for me was in The Horse Whisperer when they Drink Downstream From The Herd. A farmer(kind of) drank from a stream that has swirls of stuff in it because the heard is upstream. Ugh
Profile Image
I read a book a while ago, can't remember what it was called, where the author got directions wrong. The character headed south from Darwin and turned left to go to Western Australia.

Left would take you to Queensland, right would take you to Western Australia. If you are setting a book in a country you don't know well perhaps you should look at a map?

That was just the first of quite a few geographical mistakes. I know there is such a thing as literary licence but rearranging a whole country is going a bit far.
Profile Image
In Lord Kelvin's Machine, the Californian steam-punk pioneer author, whose name escapes me, decides to underline that the story is set in Victorian England by describing a cricket match, but he just gets it wrong on so many different levels...
Profile Image
Grammatical errors that the editor or proof-reader should have picked up. I read an otherwise brilliant book where "discreet" and "discrete" were muddled more than once.

And I recently read "Death Comes to Pemberley" by PD James, in which almost everything annoyed me!
Profile Image
Well, it's usually when characters are so stupid you really want to shake them...

Or when authors write about places that I know about and they didn't do their homework.

When I read Girl in Translation, I was super annoyed, because what she said about Hong Kong was just not accurate! Silly things like "In Hong Kong students are seated according to their exam results" - well, I won't complain if she said, "in my school...." but now I have to point out that in my school students are seated by height, and thereby invalidates her whole statement. Many other inaccuracies totally ruined my reading experience, though many other people enjoyed the book.
Profile Image
I hate finding typos, it is so sloppy. I love Sue Grafton's books, and recently received Y is for Yesterday. There is a reference to Ann Boleyn, but it should be Anne.

I know it is very minor, but it irked me. Lol.
Profile Image
At the end of chapter 8, an evil character stumbles upon a young prince who she wants dead and they scuffle. The last line reads "She saw to it that he broke his neck." So I'm gasping, thinking she has just killed the young prince. Then I turn the page, and lo and behold, the scuffle is interrupted and the prince is saved. And yet it said "he broke his neck."!
Profile Image
And yet it said "he broke his neck."!

Well, my mom had a broken neck, following an auto accident, and was in the hospital and rehab for months, but she lived several years after that. Something called a "hangman's fracture," we were told. The same type of fracture that caused Christopher Reeve's paralysis, but fortunately my mom's didn't impinge the nerves, so she was not paralyzed.
Profile Image
Hmm, I see your point. Though I don't recall the prince suffering any ill effects from his broken neck.
Profile Image

Chiming in!

Earlier this month, I read a book that introduced 58 characters in the first chapter of the book! 27 of those characters were introduced on the first 2 pages!! Needless to say, I did not finish the book.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14678855
Profile Image
Wow, that sounds like it would be very confusing right off the bat!
Profile Image
Oh, it was! The author did provide a Glossary of Characters. But, there were 34 pages of 20-24 characters per page in that glossary!! So, a minimum of around 680 characters in the whole book!

I received the book to review it and I, unfortunately, did not notice that it was book 6 of a series (totally my own fault for not reading more carefully before signing up for the giveaway). Even though it was book 6, that is just way too many characters for the majority of readers in a book or series.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.