corner corner Post Here: July - Sept 2015 States Challenge

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Post Here: July - Sept 2015 States Challenge

Welcome to all!

It's a multi-year rolling challenge - start when you like, set your own limit (12 months, 18 months or all 24 months). Personally, I'm shooting for 1/15 - 12/16 (24 months).

Here are the rules:
Read a book from every state in the USA (bonus: optional is the District of Columbia). The book's setting should be primarily in that state/territory, but doesn't have to 100% stay in the state. Any kind of book is fine - library, e-book, audiobook or BC book. One state per book please.

Instead of a long list, post what # state you're up to AFTER you read the book, the book title, BCID if applicable and a little about it.

??'s - post below or PM me.

Here is a link to some book suggestions for the 50 states: http://www.businessinsider.com/---/most-famous-book-set-in-every-state-map-2013-10
http://www.epicreads.com/---/the-united-states-of-ya
http://www.bkmag.com/---/the-literary-united-states-a-map-of-the-best-book-for-every-state

Some great books can be found by searching on a keyword at the library & looking at the juvenile section. Search previous years in Book Talk forum (keyword states or the state you're looking for)

If you do LibraryThing, some folks have added Common Knowledge places to books. Just add "CK: Important Places" to one of your lists of books to see if someone entered a place that you need.

Here are the states:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
District of Columbia (optional)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Welcome to all!

It's a multi-year rolling challenge - start when you like, set your own limit (12 months, 18 months or all 24 months). Personally, I'm shooting for 1/15 - 12/16 (24 months).

Here are the rules:
Read a book from every state in the USA (bonus: optional is the District of Columbia). The book's setting should be primarily in that state/territory, but doesn't have to 100% stay in the state. Any kind of book is fine - library, e-book, audiobook or BC book. One state per book please.

Instead of a long list, post what # state you're up to AFTER you read the book, the book title, BCID if applicable and a little about it.

??'s - post below or PM me.

Here is a link to some book suggestions for the 50 states: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-famous-book-set-in-every-state-map-2013-10
http://www.epicreads.com/---/the-united-states-of-ya/
http://www.bkmag.com/---/the-literary-united-states-a-map-of-the-best-book-for-every-state/

Some great books can be found by searching on a keyword at the library & looking at the juvenile section. Search previous years in Book Talk forum (keyword states or the state you're looking for)

If you do LibraryThing, some folks have added Common Knowledge places to books. Just add "CK: Important Places" to one of your lists of books to see if someone entered a place that you need.

Here are the states:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
District of Columbia (optional)
Profile Image
Posting this next 3 month set early, since I'll be away on a family reunion the beginning of July with unknown internet access.
Profile Image
Jolie Blons Bounce. James Lee Burke. BCID xxx 12488909
This is my first book by this author. He has evidently written another of books about detective Dave Robicheaux. Like all great fictional detectives he is flawed and has demons. I think Louisiana is a character in this novel as well. It permeates the book totally. I got a sense of the history and the underbelly of this part of the world. There are another ten books by Burke that feature this detective, I will be on the lookout for them.

So far:
Alabama, California , Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii , Illinois,
Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah, West Virginia
Profile Image
Had a few romances with missing states with me on vacation. Oklahoma is one that turned up.

The Rancher's Wife by Lynda Trent http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12911605

Set in the Oklahoma territory, Elizabeth is abandoned by her husband at their non-functioning mine in a mud hut. Starving, she sets off on the mule with her rifle, and encounters Reese's ranch. Widowed, with a newborn, Reese hires Elizabeth to be a nanny/housekeeper. And when wagon train settlers start a new town, they assume the couple is married & Reese and Elizabeth don't set them straight.
Profile Image
Another vacation read that happened to match an outstanding state

Christmas in Key West by Cynthia Thompson http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8255193

I used to live in Florida, and the author does an excellent job of portraying the townspeople and the town. Billed as a romance, I would classify it more as women's fiction, since it revolves mostly about the relationships between the families in the town.
Profile Image
Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13526093/

Set in a small town in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, 35-year-old Ave Maria Mulligan deals with the aftermath of her mother's recent death; although she has a good job and lots of friends and activities, suddenly she discovers that she is not who she always thought she was.
Profile Image
Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani

Set in a small town in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, 35-year-old Ave Maria Mulligan deals with the aftermath of her mother's recent death; although she has a good job and lots of friends and activities, suddenly she discovers that she is not who she always thought she was.

I have this book, but alas, I already read Virginia for this round.
Profile Image
Bound for Murder by Laura Childs

This is #3 in her scrapbooking series. I think I picked it up at a library sale just because it was set in Louisiana. Although I hadn't read the first two, it worked well as a stand alone book. However, not impressed enough with it to start a new series. Carmela was just too, too perfect in every way. And what kind of people have nothing better to do than spend their day in a scrapbooking store? Everyday, for hours....this is her main group of friends.
Profile Image
and finally one that isn't a romance.

Alex: The Life of a Child by Frank Deford http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7404874

A book about the child's life and death at age 8 from cystic fibrosis. The family lives in Connecticut. Unfortunately, 35 years after Alex's death, there still is no cure. The disease can be managed better, so some children now live into young adulthood, but Alex's disease was so severe that even if she were born today, I suspect she would only live until her teens.
Profile Image
Finishing Becca by Ann Rinaldi http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12719093

Young adult set during the revolutionary war. Becca was the maid for Peggy Shippen Arnold, who married the traitor Benedict Arnold. I didn't know what his activities really were - he defected to the British side during the war, likely with encouragement from his wife. He also was in the war for personal gain and had access to confidential American information that he attempted to give to the British.
Profile Image

29/51 - Utah

The Poet and the Murderer by Simon Worrall
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11599718

Notorious "Mormon Murderer" and skilled forger Mark Hoffman fooled many people with his works, including one that was supposed to be a previously unknown poem by Emily Dickinson - sold at auction by Sotheby's a number of years after Hoffman was convicted of killing two people with pipe bombs. This book not only looks at Hoffman and his work, but at Dickinson, forgeries, and auctions.

So I don't have to keep looking them up:

2015 1st Quarter thread: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/515029
2015 2nd Quarter thread: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/518295
Profile Image
Judy Moody by Megan McDonald
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13421829

Judy Moody puts me in a GOOD mood...and as it turns out, she lives in Virginia, so that works out nicely.
Profile Image
Judy Moody by Megan McDonald
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13421829

Judy Moody puts me in a GOOD mood...and as it turns out, she lives in Virginia, so that works out nicely.

Isn't it good to read a book that fits?
Profile Image
Murder at Yaquina Head
Thomas Martindale Mysteries, Book 1
by Ron Lovell

Kindle Reader

The star of "Murder at Yaquina Head" by Ron Lovell is the Oregon Coast. The rocks, cliffs, and lighthouse at Yaquina Head provide a backdrop of beauty, intrigue, and danger for the story.

Thomas Martindale, a journalism professor at Oregon University -- a fictional place, not to be confused with the real University of Oregon -- has recently bought a house in the vicinity of the Yaquina headland and lighthouse, real places 55 miles west of Corvallis. He looks forward to spending a peaceful summer there as well as weekends during the academic year.

Simone Godard, a retired French teacher and former colleague of his, lives in the area and asks him to read a manuscript of hers. She had participated in various aspects of the French Resistance during World War II and has been turning those experiences into a book. When she gave Thomas the first part of the manuscript to read, she told him she thought someone was after her and wanted to kill her.

Her story was too important not to tell, and she wanted help from Thomas with the unfinished parts of the book which needed to be handled delicately. The manuscript is the reason someone is after her. By the time Thomas was finished with the first part of the manuscript, Simone was dead.

Simone's housekeeper/cook Rose has a son, Adam, who is mentally handicapped and works and lives at a cemetery. Simone and Adam go out one afternoon to meet with Adam's boss, but they don't return. Rose asks Thomas to look for them, and thereby hangs the tale.

This book is well-written with complex characters and nice descriptive passages.

Profile Image
Carousel Dreams by Paige Winship Dooly.

The year is 1895 and Ellie's late grandfather just spent most of his money on a carousel for their Salt Lake resort. Ellie is widowed, with a 5 year old daughter. Can she trust Bascomb, the man who comes to build the carousel enough to love him and trust him with her daughter? Someone is trying to cause trouble for Bascomb and the resort. They will have to solve this before they get together. Also, a little religious and I don't like having that shoved down my throat. Good thing it was only 170 pages long.
Profile Image
Carousel Dreams by Paige Winship Dooly.

The year is 1895 and Ellie's late grandfather just spent most of his money on a carousel for their Salt Lake resort. Ellie is widowed, with a 5 year old daughter. Can she trust Bascomb, the man who comes to build the carousel enough to love him and trust him with her daughter? Someone is trying to cause trouble for Bascomb and the resort. They will have to solve this before they get together. Also, a little religious and I don't like having that shoved down my throat. Good thing it was only 170 pages long.

Mormon? Seems that most Utah books are, but a carousel doesn't quite fit the stereotype.
Profile Image
No, there was no mention of being Mormons. Just things about believing in God, letting him manage your life, prayers, etc.
Profile Image
Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you The Hangman's Knot:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8518112
Profile Image
I had a book written down for Nebraska, but it's not in my stash so I don't know what I was thinking.

PM'g you to see if it's been snapped up yet. Thanks!
Profile Image
I had a book written down for Nebraska, but it's not in my stash so I don't know what I was thinking.

PM'g you to see if it's been snapped up yet. Thanks!

It's yours, NancyNova. :)
Profile Image
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyers. A kind of spin off from the Twlight books, Bree is one of the vampires that fought Bella. This just tells how she felt, becoming a vampire and finding out how she was now suppose to live.
Profile Image
Blood Orchids
by Toby Neal

Kindle Reader

"Blood Orchids" by Toby Neal is definitely not a cozy mystery. Leilana Texeira, an officer at the South Hilo Police Station, has trouble overcoming a childhood in which her father went to prison and her mother was addicted to drugs. Lei has memory loss and struggles with blackout moments. Then, there was Charlie Kwon, once her mother's boyfriend, and Lei was only nine years old.

Lei's father killed the erstwhile crime boss in Hilo, Terry Chang, who had illegimitate children scattered over two states. In return, someone wants to eliminate both Lei and her father to prove a nasty point. But, what does all this have to do with the two dead teenaged girls who were found in a swamp? And, what happened to Lei's friend from another precinct, Mary? Sorting all this out was rather depressing.

However, this book is very well-written and has so many Hawaiian details the reader can feel the ocean breezes, see the tin houses in the poor section of town, and run with Lei and her dog, Keiki, past a wide variety of flora. "The north side of the volcano caught rain, and a primordial jungle of ohia trees, wild ginger, and hundreds of ferns blanketed the slopes while the south side stretched away in miles of raw black lava. Knobbed guava roots reached up to tangle her feet, and off to the right the caldera steamed gently, a vast black moonscape hundreds of feet below the path."

No matter how mean the story, the raw beauty of Hawaii comes flooding through the words on the page.

Profile Image
Sudden Death Sudoku
A Katie McDonald Mystery, Book 2
by Shelley Freydont

When my two favorite parts of a book are the decriptions of snow storms and their aftermaths, and a cat, the story has problems. Aloysius, the cat, has more real personality than any of the other characters. Come to think of it, the snow storms do, too. Okay, I'm being a little harsh, but I've never wanted to slap a main character as much as I wanted to slap Kate McDonald.

Kate fretted throughout the book. She felt like an outsider in her hometown of Granville, New Hampshire, because she was a geek in high school and spent over ten years living elsewhere for college and then a job. Kate McDonald had returned to Granville only six months earlier but still didn't feel as though she belonged.

Not fitting in with others is only one of Kate's insecurities. If she doesn't go to a beauty parlor instead of worrying about how her frizzy red hair looks, I think I'll shave my head in protest. Then, there's the man she's obviously in love with, Police Chief Brandon Mitchell. Her thoughts constantly run to how he's angry with her or about to leave town, and consequently her, when quite clearly he is not. If she'd open her eyes, she'd see that he loves her, too.

And so it goes throughout the book through one insecurity after another until I wanted to scream and slap Kate across the face and say, "Grow up! You're 29 years old already."

It's too bad really because "Sudden Death Sudoku" by Shelley Freydont has good elements for an excellent cozy mystery. Kate holds a sudoku tournament at the VFW Hall on a weekend when the town gets buried in a snow storm. Nearly 400 people participate in or observe the event, and two of the visitors end up dead. The Bowsman Inn is crammed with guests. A person in a bright, orange ski cap keeps appearing and vanishing among the huge snow banks, and Kate's closest friend, Ginny Sue, falls in love with one of the out-of-towners. There's the puzzle museum, a lonely 14-year-old boy, and Aloysius, the cat. What's not to like?

The incessant fretting about one part of her life or another by Kate spoils all that is good about the book, making it irritating. I enjoyed the first Katie McDonald mystery, but this one is skippable.

Profile Image
The Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13526064/

St Elizabeth's is a home for unwed mothers in 1960s Kentucky. Rose Clinton arrives in 1968, pregnant but not unwed. She plans to give up her baby because she believes she can not be the mother she ought to be, but her plans change over time. Story is told by Rose, the handyman she meets at the home and marries, and her child.
Profile Image
Oooh - this sounds interesting. Putting on my states possibilities list.
Profile Image
The Memory of Running by Ron McLarty
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13526079/

Smithson Ide's parents have died of their injuries from a car accident; and then he learns of the death of his sister, who disappeared a number of years ago, in Los Angeles. Setting off from his home town of East Providence, Rhode Island, he embarks on an impromptu bicycle ride across country, while events from his childhood and young adulthood are revealed.
Profile Image
Time Is a River by Mary Alice Monroe
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7626873

A very insightful read. How Mia found about her inner self. She survived breast cancer only to have her husband cheat on her. With her life in taters she goes to a post cancer group to fly fish in North Carolina, and ends up staying at her guides small cabin. It turns out to be her guide Belle's grandmothers cabin, and what she finds there changes her life. Good story! Liked it very much.
Profile Image
A Painted House by John Grisham

Seven-year-old Luke Chandler lives on a cotton farm outside of Black Oak, Arkansas, with his parents and grandparents in 1952. As the family prepares to harvest the cotton crop with a truck load of Mexicans and a family from the Ozarks, tensions arise on the farm and in town, and Luke is forced to keep secrets from those he loves and fears.
Profile Image
A Painted House by John Grisham

Seven-year-old Luke Chandler lives on a cotton farm outside of Black Oak, Arkansas, with his parents and grandparents in 1952. As the family prepares to harvest the cotton crop with a truck load of Mexicans and a family from the Ozarks, tensions arise on the farm and in town, and Luke is forced to keep secrets from those he loves and fears.

I have that book and didn't realize it was set in Arkansas. Added to my possibilities list. Thanks!
Profile Image
Gray Mountain by John Grisham

Samantha Kofer, a 29 year old lawyer is in a firm which suffers in the 2008 recession. She is given a deal...work free for a non-profit organization for a year, and we might give you your job back. She ends up working for legal aid in Brady, Virginia. I didn't like this character one bit. She is a spoiled, whiny, wishy-washy brat who can't make up her mind about anything and won't commit to any of her cases. All she can think about is getting back to New York.
Profile Image
Gray Mountain by John Grisham

Samantha Kofer, a 29 year old lawyer is in a firm which suffers in the 2008 recession. She is given a deal...work free for a non-profit organization for a year, and we might give you your job back. She ends up working for legal aid in Brady, Virginia. I didn't like this character one bit. She is a spoiled, whiny, wishy-washy brat who can't make up her mind about anything and won't commit to any of her cases. All she can think about is getting back to New York.

Hmmmm...maybe this author's writing is getting worse?
Profile Image
The Endearment by Lavryle Spencer http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6064393

One of my oldest TBRs is a historical love story set in the wilds of Minnesota. Swedish Karl advertises for a mail-order bride, and orphaned Boston Irish Anna responds, with her 13yo brother in tow. Everything she wrote about is a lie..she can't read, write, cook or anything. A lot of description about how they did everything, from building a cabin, sweetening with watermelon syrup, wild hops for yeast, etc, etc.
Profile Image
Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford

Seventeen-year-old Joshua Arnold and his mother relocate from Mobile, Alabama, to their summer home in New Mexico when his father is sent off to war in 1944. He must make new friends, attend a new school, and deal with a mother longing for her old way of life, while making a new adventure for himself.

Easy, enjoyable read.
Profile Image
While continuing with my oldest ABC TBRs bookbox stash from bookstogive, I found this lovely treasure for Colorado

Finding Her Home by Carol Steward http://bookcrossing.com/---/7619743

A Christian romance, but a very good, detailed plot about education - with the protagonist as a secondary school principal/admin supervisor and her love interest a teacher, but the book focused on his admin internship under the protagonist's supervision.

I didn't really know about the non-teacher positions in a school of supervisor, principal and that you could do internships, just like other industries. And it's really management, just like other industries. But you're supervising teachers (who are unionized) and the kids (who are mandated to be in school, so you just can't go out and fire them like an industry can)

Definitely had more meat than the usual fluff book.
Profile Image
The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henriquez

Arturo and Alma Rivera travel with their daughter, Maribel, from their home in Mexico to Newark, Delaware, to provide for specialized care for her after an injury. While in their new home in a run-down apartment building, Maribel develops a friendship with Mayor Toro, a boy who lives at the complex with his parents. Their voices, and the voices of the other occupants of the building, drive the narrative of how they all came to be in Delaware looking to improve themselves and their lives.
Profile Image
No place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark.

Celia's new husband of six months surprises her with a new home. Only problem is, it is the home in which LIza, a 10 year old (and also Celia's real name) killed her mother while trying to protect her from her stepfather. Soon after Celia arrives in her new home, a series of murders start, all of which seem to be pointing at her. Of course, she tries to find out the truth. Read the book to see who the bad guys really are!
Profile Image
No place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark.

Celia's new husband of six months surprises her with a new home. Only problem is, it is the home in which LIza, a 10 year old (and also Celia's real name) killed her mother while trying to protect her from her stepfather. Soon after Celia arrives in her new home, a series of murders start, all of which seem to be pointing at her. Of course, she tries to find out the truth. Read the book to see who the bad guys really are!

Off to add that one as a NJ option!
Profile Image
Aloha Brides by Yvonne Lehman
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13416311

This is a christian romance. Three stories in one book, all taking place in Hawaii. First story, Jane Buckley visits Hawaii in 1890 before wedding a Texas oil baron. While in Hawaii she meets Mak McCauley and his daughter. Too, sorry oil baron. Second story, Mary Ellen Colson goes to the islands looking for her sister, who had gone to Hawaii as a picture bride. While there she meets Clay Honeycutt. Another marriage in paradise. The third story, Hawaiian native Amelia Thurstan has a secret from her family since her boyfriends death at Pearl Harbor. Her boyfriend's brother comes to Hawaii to get some peace and finds out the secret Amelia has been keeping. They of course windup together.
Profile Image
The Secret History Donna Tartt BCID xx12488961

A coming of age novel set in a small university in Vermont. A small group of young people come to believe they are special, elite, and in the clutches of a fellow student with psychopathic tendencies.

I loved Goldfinch, this was as heavy and as long, can't say I liked it but kept at it to finish for this challenge. Tartt writes well, but all a bit literary of me, I want entertainment , not bleakness.

Alabama, California , Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii , Illinois,
Indiana, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah, West Virginia, Vermont
Profile Image
Thanks for the comments. I've thought about Goldfinch, but have heard enough negative to skip her work for now.
Profile Image
Rethinking Normal: A Memoir in Transition by Katie Rain Hill
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13512178

Realizing you're transgender can't be easy for anyone, but when you live in the Bible Belt, it must be even harder. Katie Rain Hill has not only successfully transitioned, she has chosen to be an advocate for transgender issues.

A related 2015 read for Oklahoma:

Some Assembly Required: The Not-So-Secret Life of a Transgender Teen - http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13494031
Profile Image
Every Last Cuckoo by Kate Maloy http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12591302

A tag to me, that I tagged to another, so it jumped up to the top of the reading pile. And what a good book! We meet Sarah, just as her husband dies, then in part I learn more about her life - her marriage to Charlie, raising her kids, losing an infant and wonder now what. And in part II, she becomes like a warbler, raising the cuckoo's young. Her home in her old age becomes like her childhood home - a ragtag disparate group of people living with her, and in their own way, making her live again.
Profile Image
Devil Red: A Hap & Leonard Novel by Joe R. Lansdale
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11893871

Best friends Hap Collins and Leonard Pine are different in a lot of ways. But the straight white draft dodger and the gay black Vietnam Vet both have a knack for finding trouble (sometimes very weird trouble), in their small East Texas town and outside of it.

What's left: AL | AZ | AR | CT | DE | IL | IA | KS | KY | ME | MS | MO | MT | ND | RI | SD | DC | WI | WY
Profile Image
Devil Red: A Hap & Leonard Novel by Joe R. Lansdale
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11893871

Best friends Hap Collins and Leonard Pine are different in a lot of ways. But the straight white draft dodger and the gay black Vietnam Vet both have a knack for finding trouble, in their small East Texas town and outside of it.

What's left: AL | AZ | AR | CT | DE | IL | IA | KS | KY | ME | MS | MO | MT | ND | RI | SD | DC | WI | WY

I had to pop over to your review. The author looks familiar, but I don't know why
Profile Image
I had to pop over to your review. The author looks familiar, but I don't know why

Well, I believe Lansdale did a cameo in Bubba Ho-Tep, but I don't imagine you've seen that?!
Profile Image

Well, I believe Lansdale did a cameo in Bubba Ho-Tep, but I don't imagine you've seen that?!

Nope. Maybe I just remembered the name from a different thread because the last name matches my mailing address town.
Profile Image

Nope. Maybe I just remembered the name from a different thread because the last name matches my mailing address town.

Yeah, I noticed that. :) Joe Lansdale is probably not your cup of tea, though...
Profile Image
Surviving Henry by Erin Taylor Young

This is kind of a remake of Marley and Me. Only this time, the dog is an out of control Boxer, named Henry. The book more or less covers the first five years of his life...the non-stop motion, the barking, the tantrums. The escapes...in which he escapes his kennel at the boarding place, and proceeds to eat everything he can reach in the store area. The accidents, such as being outside, and deciding to make a mad rush at the window, to get back in. Luckily for Henry, although the window shatters, he bounces back into the yard, avoiding most of the glass. He does end up with stitches, but just in one leg. The near drownings in the lake because he can't swim. Throughout all of this, his family stands by him and loves him. And things do get just the tiniest better as he ages.
Profile Image
Surviving Henry by Erin Taylor Young

This is kind of a remake of Marley and Me. Only this time, the dog is an out of control Boxer, named Henry. The book more or less covers the first five years of his life...the non-stop motion, the barking, the tantrums. The escapes...in which he escapes his kennel at the boarding place, and proceeds to eat everything he can reach in the store area. The accidents, such as being outside, and deciding to make a mad rush at the window, to get back in. Luckily for Henry, although the window shatters, he bounces back into the yard, avoiding most of the glass. He does end up with stitches, but just in one leg. The near drownings in the lake because he can't swim. Throughout all of this, his family stands by him and loves him. And things do get just the tiniest better as he ages.

I have that book...but already claimed Oklahoma....darn
Profile Image
On the Edge of Survival by Spike Walker

In December 2004, a cargo ship is disabled during a brutal storm and threatens to run aground off the Alaskan shore. The Coast Guard is dispatched to rescue the vessel's crewmen. At the near end of the mission, one of the rescue helicopters becomes swept up by a massive wave and crashes into the ocean. The race is now on to rescue those on the downed helicopter and those left on the sinking cargo ship, all while fighting the wind, snow, and surf.

This was a quick read and really hard to put down.
Profile Image
Wow, go waterfalling! Into the home stretch!
Profile Image
On the Edge of Survival by Spike Walker

In December 2004, a cargo ship is disabled during a brutal storm and threatens to run aground off the Alaskan shore. The Coast Guard is dispatched to rescue the vessel's crewmen. At the near end of the mission, one of the rescue helicopters becomes swept up by a massive wave and crashes into the ocean. The race is now on to rescue those on the downed helicopter and those left on the sinking cargo ship, all while fighting the wind, snow, and surf.

This was a quick read and really hard to put down.

Sounds interesting....off to check it out
Profile Image

33/51 - Iowa

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
Audio download

Fun stuff: Bryson's loving memoir of his 1950's Iowa boyhood. I'm not quite a baby boomer (and I've never been to Iowa) but I do remember a few of the things he mentions. Sadly many of the changes he mentions, like the widespread homogenizing of American retail outlets and restaurants, had already begun when I was a kid.

What's left: AL | AZ | AR | CT | DE | IL | KS | KY | ME | MS | MO | MT | ND | RI | SD | DC | WI | WY
Profile Image
The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson
Audio download

Fun stuff: Bryson's loving memoir of his 1950's Iowa boyhood. I'm not quite a baby boomer (and I've never been to Iowa) but I do remember a few of the things he mentions. Sadly many of the changes he mentions, like the widespread homogenizing of American retail outlets and restaurants, had already begun when I was a kid.

What's left: AL | AZ | AR | CT | DE | IL | KS | KY | ME | MS | MO | MT | ND | RI | SD | DC | WI | WY

Just a few left!
Profile Image
Lost on a Mountain in Maine by Donn Fendler as told to Joseph Egan
Ebook

In 1939, 12-year-old Donn Fendler became separated from the other hikers in his group, and spent 9 days in the wilderness trying to find his way out. A large-scale search effort failed to find him, but he eventually stumbled across a group of vacationers. It's quite a story, complete with vicious bugs, bears, and numerous other discouragements that would upset even a grownup.

What's left: AL | AZ | AR | CT | DE | IL | KS | KY | MS | MO | MT | ND | RI | SD | DC | WI | WY
Profile Image
3:21 a.m. by Nick Pirog

This is the third book in the series. Henry Bins has Henry Bins disease...he is awake only one hour out of every 24, 3:00 to 4:00 a.m. Despite this, he has a life of sorts, a cat and a girlfriend. They decide to go to Alaska because on a night they will be there, the sun will rise at 3:07 a.m. and Henry will see the sun for the first time in his life.

While there, he has a fight with his girlfriend and he and the cat, Lassie, go for a walk. While on a bridge, there is a major earthquake and they fall into the water, and are washed 100 miles downstream. The rest of the book is what happens to them while they try to get back, including meeting a 5 year old Eskimo boy out in the wilderness.

It isn't until the last two pages that you find out this has all been a dream. Kind of ticks you off. Even the author has a page where he asks if you have thrown the book across the room. There is one more book, but now I am not sure I want to read it.

One thing that makes the book fun is that Henry has conversations with his cat. For example, a few days after he falls asleep in the sun and gets a bad sunburn:

Meow
No, I am not a leper.
Meow
My face? What's wrong with my face?
(Raising his hand to his face, he discovers his skin is peeling off from the sunburn.)
Meow
No, I am not going to eat it!

Or , while fishing to find food while they are lost. Henry catches a fish on a stick:

Meow
Amoose? How do you know what kind of fish it is?
Meow
Amoose. Who cares? It's food
Meow
A Moose
(Henry turns to discover a moose a few feet behind him, who almost tramples him while snatching the fish.

Profile Image
3:21 a.m. by Nick Pirog

This is the third book in the series. Henry Bins has Henry Bins disease...he is awake only one hour out of every 24, 3:00 to 4:00 a.m. Despite this, he has a life of sorts, a cat and a girlfriend. They decide to go to Alaska because on a night they will be there, the sun will rise at 3:07 a.m. and Henry will see the sun for the first time in his life.

While there, he has a fight with his girlfriend and he and the cat, Lassie, go for a walk. While on a bridge, there is a major earthquake and they fall into the water, and are washed 100 miles downstream. The rest of the book is what happens to them while they try to get back, including meeting a 5 year old Eskimo boy out in the wilderness.

It isn't until the last two pages that you find out this has all been a dream. Kind of ticks you off. Even the author has a page where he asks if you have thrown the book across the room. There is one more book, but now I am not sure I want to read it.

One thing that makes the book fun is that Henry has conversations with his cat. For example, a few days after he falls asleep in the sun and gets a bad sunburn:

Meow
No, I am not a leper.
Meow
My face? What's wrong with my face?
(Raising his hand to his face, he discovers his skin is peeling off from the sunburn.)
Meow
No, I am not going to eat it!

Or , while fishing to find food while they are lost. Henry catches a fish on a stick:

Meow
Amoose? How do you know what kind of fish it is?
Meow
Amoose. Who cares? It's food
Meow
A Moose
(Henry turns to discover a moose a few feet behind him, who almost tramples him while snatching the fish.

Laughing over the last dialog. I vacationed in Alaska several years ago. Yes, the moose truly appears out of nowhere (thankfully I was in a bus, and not in the wild)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.