corner corner Post here: April - Jun 2015 States Challenge

Forum | << Book Talk | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Jade Green by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13033040

Judith is an orphan whose mother died in a madhouse. When her uncle takes her in and Judith starts hearing and seeing strange things, is she going mad, or is there really a ghost in the house?

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
Welcome to all!

It's a multi-year rolling challenge - start when you like, set your own limit (12 months, 18 months or all 24 months). Personally, I'm shooting for 1/15 - 12/16 (24 months).

Here are the rules:
Read a book from every state in the USA (bonus: optional is the District of Columbia). The book's setting should be primarily in that state/territory, but doesn't have to 100% stay in the state. Any kind of book is fine - library, e-book, audiobook or BC book. One state per book please.

Instead of a long list, post what # state you're up to AFTER you read the book, the book title, BCID if applicable and a little about it.

??'s - post below or PM me.

Here is a link to some book suggestions for the 50 states: http://www.businessinsider.com/most-famous-book-set-in-every-state-map-2013-10
http://www.epicreads.com/---/the-united-states-of-ya/
http://www.bkmag.com/---/the-literary-united-states-a-map-of-the-best-book-for-every-state/

Some great books can be found by searching on a keyword at the library & looking at the juvenile section. Search previous years in Book Talk forum (keyword states or the state you're looking for)

If you do LibraryThing, some folks have added Common Knowledge places to books. Just add "CK: Important Places" to one of your lists of books to see if someone entered a place that you need.

Here are the states:
Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming
District of Columbia (optional)
Profile Image
Second Watch by J. A. Jance
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12874584

This was a very moving story. Beaumont is in the hospital recovering from double knee replacement surgery. Because of the medication he has been given, he is having dreams of the past, some relating to his time in Vietnam and others to his first case with the Seattle PD. As he gets better he knows he needs to address both of these images. He needs to find the fiance of his leader in the war that saved his life. He, also, needs to find the murderer of the victim of his first case. This is the story of how he goes about taking care of these loose ends.
Profile Image
Stealing Buddha's Dinner by Bich Minh Nguyen

As an infant, Bich, along with her sister, father, grandmother, and two uncles, relocates to Grand Rapids, Michigan, after escaping from Vietnam at the end of the war in 1975. Growing up, she tries to remain true to her family and their customs and language, while yearning desperately to fit in as an American.
Profile Image
Stealing Buddha's Dinner by Bich Minh Nguyen

As an infant, Bich, along with her sister, father, grandmother, and two uncles, relocates to Grand Rapids, Michigan, after escaping from Vietnam at the end of the war in 1975. Growing up, she tries to remain true to her family and their customs and language, while yearning desperately to fit in as an American.

I have that books sitting on Mt TBR. Didn't have it marked as a possibility for Michigan though. It is now!
Profile Image
A Misty Mourning
by Rett MacPherson

Kindle Reader

I'm aware of mountain lions in California and cougars in Washington State, but I've never thought about panthers in West Virginia and, I assume, in other states along the Appalachian range. "A Misty Mourning" (notice the "u") by Rett MacPherson is set in the fictional town of Panther Run, West Virginia.

After traveling from her home in Missouri to West Virginia, the protagonist, Victory (Torie) O'Shea, visits an aunt at one point. From her aunt's front porch, she looks out on the mountains, which seemingly extend forever, and simply says, "Wow!"

"Country roads and misty mornings," her aunt responds.

Torie is seven months pregnant. She was asked to come to West Virginia by 95-plus year-old Clarissa Hart, owner of the Panther Run Boardinghouse, who wanted to read her will before she died. Long ago, Clarissa's best friend was Bridie McClanahan, Torie's great-grandmother. Torie's grandmother Gert, Bridie's daughter, came on the trip with her.

West Virginia, of course, is coal country, and when Bridie and Clarissa were young women, Panther Run was a "company town" in the most repressive sense of the term. Everything belonged to the Panther Run Coal Company, including the boardinghouse. Back in the early Twentieth Century, some people were murdered because of the resentments between the workers and the company. Now, on the edge of the millennium, people are dying again.

Torie's great asset in this situation is her knowledge of genealogy and her ability to track down facts about long-dead people. Her grandmother Gert's asset is her knowledge of the Panther Run area, where she'd spent her youth, and of West Virginia coal town ways. Together, they make quite a pair.

"A Misty Mourning" is rich with the knowledge of these two women.
Profile Image
Straight from the Heart by Tami Hoag
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9985045

It's about Physical therapist Rebecca Bradshaw and her new patient Jace Cooper. Trouble is he is an old love that left her with a broken heart 7 years ago. At the mention of his name and then the sight of him has her remembering all the old times together and she finds she still has feeling for him, even though she doesn't want to. A nice little romance story.
Profile Image
Before the Storm by Diane Chamberlain http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12652448

What a page turner story! The first in the series, this one focuses on Laurel's life and it's effect on her two children, one - who through her destructive actions during pregnancy, has fetal alcohol syndrome (FASD). The church burned down during the youth activity - but many lives were saved because of Andy, her child with FASD. At first hailed as a hero, the fire was arson & Andy becomes a suspect. Lots of twists and turns, and backtracking through Laurel's life to figure out how she became a pregnant alcoholic, and who really was involved in the fire.
Profile Image
Paw and Order by Spencer Quinn

This is the 7th book in the Chet and Bernie series. If you haven't read it, Bernie Little is a PI and his dog, Chet is his partner. The whole book is narrated by Chet, and his take on situations and on Bernie are often hilarious.

However, this book just seemed off and it is probably my least favorite in the series. Another thing that bothered me...on the summary on the cover and on some of the blurbs, they mention Chet meeting a guinea pig, like it is a pivitol moment in the book. Fact is, he doesn't meet the guinea pig until 20 pages to the end of the book. And there is at most two pages devoted to the pig and they move on to other things. In fact, the guinea pig gets abandoned in a house that the criminals will not be returning to. What happens to him?
Profile Image
So Much For That by Lionel Shriver. BCID xxx10036700

Well written tale of marriage and realising your dreams. And to this New Zealander a horrifying expose of the American Health system.
I am privileged to live in a country of free health and disability care, so the story of people being incredible burdened by having to have a job with comprehensive health insurance is completely foreign to me.
I really enjoyed this despite the grim story of a long painful death from cancer, through which was woven the story of flawed family relationships, aged care, disability, teenage angst and middle aged love.

7. Indiana, Utah, Alabama, Pennsylvania, Florida , Texas, New York.
Profile Image
Sunny Chandler's Return by Sandra Brown
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7226741

It's nice little romance story. Sunny Chandler returns to Latham Green, Louisana for her best friends wedding. There she meets the new sheriff, Ty Beaumont, and the sparks fly as he has an instant attraction to Sunny.
Profile Image
The Trouble with J.J. by Tami Hoag
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9985001

A cute little romance between a star pro quarterback and a kindergarten teacher. When Genna Hastings discovers that J.J. Hennessy has moved in next door, her whole world begins to chance. J.J. likes what he sees in Genna and he is going to anything in his power to make her his own.
Profile Image
I read this book on my Kindle...I didn't see another one from that setting coming along any time soon. My advice...don't bother.

Murder at Volcano House by Chip Hughes

He is a PI, hired to protect a man whose wife thinks the Goddess Pele is out to get, for drilling on her land years ago. Needless to say, he dies anyway, and Kai has to solve this case and one more before he can get back to his beloved surfing. No offense to anyone, but I really hated reading when he wrote part of this in "pidgin."
Profile Image
..... No offense to anyone, but I really hated reading when he wrote part of this in "pidgin."

Sometimes writing in a dialect works, but I guess in this case it didn't.
Profile Image
Murder at Volcano House by Chip Hughes

He is a PI, hired to protect a man whose wife thinks the Goddess Pele is out to get, for drilling on her land years ago. Needless to say, he dies anyway, and Kai has to solve this case and one more before he can get back to his beloved surfing. No offense to anyone, but I really hated reading when he wrote part of this in "pidgin."

Haven't read any of his books yet, so I don't know how authentic his pidgin is. I've heard Hawaiian pidgin (technical name Hawaiian Creole English) all my life, so reading it doesn't necessarily bother me. What I can't stand is when the author does it *wrong*...and so many do. :p
Profile Image
Good Faith by Jane Smiley
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8655036

Joe is looking for a fresh start when Marcus enters with a proposition that seems to good to be true. The two quickly go into "business" together buying and selling real-estate in an effort to get-rich-quick. Marcus is completely driven by greed and lust for quick money and Joe is, unfortunately, in too deep to see the writing on the wall.
Profile Image
Her Father's Daughter by Mollie Poupeney
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13030691

Incidents in Maggie Morrison's life starting at the age of 7. As she grows up in the 1930s and 40s and her parents divorce, her alcoholic father continues to be an occasional part of her life.

So I don't have to keep looking it up:
2015 1st Quarter thread: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/515029
Profile Image
Jade Green by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13033040

Judith is an orphan whose mother died in a madhouse. When her uncle takes her in and Judith starts hearing and seeing strange things, is she going mad, or is there really a ghost in the house?
Profile Image
No Safe House by Linwood Barclay

This is actually a sequel to a book he wrote in 2008 (and the first of his I ever read) called No Time to Say Goodbye. I liked the book, which takes place in Milford, CT. This is right by where I grew up, which was the Hamden/New Haven area.

It seemed very familiar to me, I think because it had all the same characters as in the first book, just seven years later. The daughter is 14, and makes the mistake of breaking into a house with her boyfriend. Problem is, someone else also broke into the house and ends up shooting and killing the boyfriend. Whose father is working for a thug. Things just get worst from there.
Profile Image
It's been a while since I read something by this author. Good standalone western historical romance

Courting Susannah by Linda Lael Miller http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7952605

Susannah shows up unannounced in Seattle when she's notified of her friend's death to care for the infant daughter, who's 4 months old and widower Dad didn't even name the poor tike. But things were strained in the marriage, it turns out. And there's some interesting goings on in town.
Profile Image
The Round House by Louise Erdrich

In 1988 in North Dakota, Geraldine Coutts is attacked and is so traumatized that she can not or will not discuss what happened to her family or to the police. Her husband, a tribal judge, and her thirteen-year-old son try to help her in their own way. The son, Joe, with his friends, begins his own quest for answers, finding clues to the crime and to his place in the world along the way.
Profile Image
Wow. You're making good progress!
Profile Image
Thanks. I've almost exhausted the open states from my current shelves and am combing some used book stores for the remainder (I keep a list in my purse). I hope to finish by year end.
Profile Image
... am combing some used book stores for the remainder (I keep a list in my purse). I hope to finish by year end.

Oh, that's way too organized for me. :p

Nice going! I'd like to finish by the end of the year too, but I've got a lot farther to go than you.
Profile Image
I have picked up quite a few state books for free on my Kindle. I even started a separate "collection" for state challenges on there. I may have a good start on next year!
Profile Image
I have picked up quite a few state books for free on my Kindle. I even started a separate "collection" for state challenges on there. I may have a good start on next year!

Intrigued by your statement "separate collection " on the Kindle.
My books are one big mush list, much to my dismay
Profile Image
There should be an item that says something like "add a new collection." You can click on a books title, then (on mine anyway) I push the right side button. This comes up with things like delete, add to collection, etc. If you click on the add a collection, it will ask you to "name " it. Then, every book that you want in that collection, state for example, you can add to it by pushing that right side button again. The books will still be in your main reading list. But now, you will also have an item that says collection. If you click on that, only the books in that collection will appear. Makes it easier than going through pages of books, looking for the one you thought was set in ND!
Profile Image
Thank you very much for this valuable information. If Nancy hadn't already asked about collections, I was going to. It pays to read directions. Thank you.

Profile Image
US only, please. (Sorry Edwardstreet, I'm looking for something lighter to offer you. Parable-Pat, I can't tell where you're located.)

** If you're interested, send me a PM, so we don't clog up this thread too much! **

These will go out via media mail. 1 per customer: first come, first served. Books not claimed will be given away at the Hawaii Book & Music Festival on May 2-3.

T02S03B11D20 (and the rest of you who've already read a book for Hawaii this year), you're welcome to play too, although perhaps you've already had your fill of pidgin??

YA/Teen books:

• Name Me Nobody by Lois-Ann Yamanaka
GIVEN AWAY AT HAWAII BOOK & MUSIC FESTIVAL

• CLAIMED BY ABERPETER
Lord of the Deep by Graham Salisbury
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13094655

• Blue Skin of the Sea by Graham Salisbury

• Wipeout! by Chip Hughes

>>> Yamanaka grew up in Hawaii and still lives here. Salisbury spent his youth in Hawaii and now lives on the mainland. I know nothing about Hughes and haven't read any of his books, but T02S03B11D20 wasn't thrilled.

For an older audience:

• Heads by Harry by Lois-Ann Yamanaka

• CLAIMED BY NANCYNOVA
Father of the Four Passages by Lois-Ann Yamanaka
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13283072

If none of those appeals to you...I will probably have others to offer later this year, perhaps even from different authors. :p
Profile Image
but I think I'll pass this turn around!
Profile Image
Sending you a PM for one title. I don't have a Hawaii book set aside for this challenge round.
Profile Image
Parable-Pat, I can't tell where you're located.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I don't need an Hawaii book. I'm going to read "Blood Orchids" by Toby Neal.

I have very few real-life books. My entire book collection is on my Kindle Reader. A couple of years ago, my house was burglarized, and I lost about 1200 real-life books. Now, I mostly buy Kindle books, mainly because I live in an apartment now and have limited space.

Profile Image
The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty

Growing up in the 1980s in small-town Kerrville, Kansas, Evelyn Bucknow has few friends, a mother and grandmother who love her but not each other, a crush on a neighbor boy, and finds her only outlet in school.
Profile Image
The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty

Growing up in the 1980s in small-town Kerrville, Kansas, Evelyn Bucknow has few friends, a mother and grandmother who love her but not each other, a crush on a neighbor boy, and finds her only outlet in school.

That title sounds so familiar, but I don't know why. Was it on a best seller list?
Profile Image
It was her debut novel about 10 years ago. Possible that there are other books with similar or exact same title.
Profile Image
How nice of an ABC TBR to be set in a state I needed! And I didn't even know that when I started reading this light book.

First Born Son by Muriel Jensen http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/6917799

First in the Delancey Brother's series. When Uncle Jack goes missing, the bachelor brothers take over his vineyard in Oregon, pulling up stakes in their own original lives for this effort. The usual romantic conflict with the older brother and the vineyard field manager circling each other. And a smattering of mystery - where did Uncle Jack disappear to?
Profile Image
Bolohead Row Chris McKinney BCID xxx 11872507

Not my type of book, persisted for the purpose of the challenge, otherwise I would have given up. I find drugs and petty criminals tiresome.
Profile Image

Not my type of book, persisted for the purpose of the challenge, otherwise I would have given up. I find drugs and petty criminals tiresome.

Now that I've adjusted this round to the 50 states (and not the obscure territories), sometimes I persist with the book....and sometimes not.
Profile Image

Not my type either. For me, I'd say dreary & depressing rather than tiresome, but I know what you mean. I don't need that sort of reality in my discretionary reading - possibly why I've yet to read any of McKinney's books. I think I read one of Ian MacMillan's Hawaii books too, and didn't care for it either. Oh well.
Profile Image
The Blind Side by Michael Lewis
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13323830/

Michael Oher, a poor, black kid from the west side of Memphis, is taken in by a rich, white, Evangelical family, and with his size and speed develops into a top college football and NFL prospect. The book also delves into the development of the position of the left tackle - who protects the quarterback's blind side - from just part of the offensive line to one of the specialized positions on any football team.
Profile Image
The Blind Side by Michael Lewis
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13323830/

Michael Oher, a poor, black kid from the west side of Memphis, is taken in by a rich, white, Evangelical family, and with his size and speed develops into a top college football and NFL prospect. The book also delves into the development of the position of the left tackle - who protects the quarterback's blind side - from just part of the offensive line to one of the specialized positions on any football team.

I had no idea that "the blind side" was really a football term. I heard about the moving, knew it was about football, but didn't really know why.
Profile Image
Dance Hall of the Dead
by Tony Hillerman

Kindle Reader

Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn of the Navajo police comes upon a hogan in which he finds a just-murdered man. He searches the hogan and then goes outside. He walks in concentric circles around the hogan, looking for clues as to where the killer might have gone.

This scene perfectly describes how Tony Hillerman in "Dance Hall of the Dead" builds the complex story about two Native American boys, one Zuni, the other Navajo, Ernesto Cata (12) and George Bowlegs (14). Woven into the story are layer upon layer of Zuni mysticism and ceremonies with some Roman Catholicism added.

The Zuni lands are next to the Navajo lands. Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn doesn't understand why the Zunis crowd together in pueblos, leaving most of their land uninhabitated. The Navajos are used to having their individual hogans located miles from their neighbors and scattered over the desolate Arizona-New Mexico desert.

This difference in the two tribes can also apply to the two boys, Ernesto who prepares diligently for his part in the Shalako, a ceremony of his people, and George, who is strange and lonely. Both boys disappear.

Joe Leaphorn's job is to find the Navajo boy and in his search he uncovers greed, treachery, justice, and a deeper understanding of the Zuni people.

Profile Image
I've never read this author, although I think I have one of his books in the TBR stash.

Does he write as series books that are better read in order, or do they stand alone?
Profile Image
Does he write as series books that are better read in order, or do they stand alone?

Tony Hillerman's Lt. Joe Leaphorn and Officer/Sgt. Jim Chee mysteries do not have to be read in order. They are both members of the Navajo Tribal Police and have individual cases (novels) and dual cases (novels). They work in different areas of the Navajo Reservation.

The character of Joe Leaphorn was created first and appeared in several books. Then, Tony Hillerman created a separate Navajo policeman, Jim Chee, different in character and interests, age, etc., and put him in several books.

I read somewhere that a fan of Hillerman's asked him a question once which made him realize that his readers may be confusing the two characters. The solution was for him to put both policemen in the same novel. Therefore, he wrote "Skinwalkers," a story which includes both and in which they work together for the first time to solve a series of crimes.

I recommend that you read "Skinwalkers" first. Then, you'll get both characters set in your mind. Since "Skinwalkers" was a best seller, Leaphorn and Chee appeared in many subsequent novels together. The Navajo Tribal Police mysteries are often referred to as the Leaphorn-Chee novels, whether both characters are together in a book or only one of them appears.

Tony Hillerman died about five years ago, and his daughter, Anne Hillerman, has taken over the family business, so to speak. She published her first Leaphorn-Chee novel, Spider Woman's Daughter, in which the main character is Navajo Tribal Police Officer Bernadette Manualito, Jim Chee's wife. I have the book on my virtual Mt. TBR. (Virtual because it's on my Kindle.)

Profile Image
Thanks for the info.
Love the "virtual " Mt TBR
Doesn't seem quite so much when they're hidden on a device instead of sprawled on bookshelves
Profile Image
A Wolf at the Table. Augusten Burroughs. BCID xxx 11111700
No wonder he adopted a new name. This is an autobiography of a childhood marred by a violent and possibly murderous, unloving, alcoholic father and a mother who develops mental health issues. Less rarely mentioned is his older brother John Elder Robison who has autism and who has also written a biography Look Me In the Eyes.
The back of the book alleges he is one of the funniest men in America, I never laughed once in this horrifying story.

Alabama, Florida, Hawaii , Indiana, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah
Profile Image
Below Zero, the 9th book in the Joe Pickett series by C. J. Box

This book starts out with Sheridan, Joe's oldest daughter receiving a text from her foster sister, April. April, who they thought died 6 years ago. Joe and Sheridan set out to trace the calls and find April. The trip includes brushes with a Chicago mobster and his son, who is big into carbon footprints. He likes to make people "pay" for creating them.
And of course, good old buddy Nate is along for the ride. I enjoy this series.
Profile Image
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13333638/

On an island north of the Puget Sound, Washington, in 1954, a Japanese-American man is on trial for the murder of a fellow fisherman. Flashbacks during the trial recall the lives of the defendant, his wife, and a newspaperman covering the trial, who was the childhood sweetheart of the woman, and how WW II affected them and the population of the island.

Profile Image
Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13333638/

On an island north of the Puget Sound, Washington, in 1954, a Japanese-American man is on trial for the murder of a fellow fisherman. Flashbacks during the trial recall the lives of the defendant, his wife, and a newspaperman covering the trial, who was the childhood sweetheart of the woman, and how WW II affected them and the population of the island.

I read this years ago and liked it
Profile Image
Better Off Dead in Deadwood by Ann Charles.

This 4th book in the series (and the first three) was read on my Kindle. It is about a single mom with twins, trying to become a real estate agent in Deadwood. Problem is, all her clients so far have been of the paranormal kind, which leads to Violet getting into trouble with ghosts, demons and zombies. Lucky for her, she has a boyfriend (Doc) and a cop (Cooper) to help her out, not to mention a grizzled old cuss whose mind is on sex all the time as a friend. And that is one thing I didn't care for...Violet seems to have sex on the brain 24/7, at least when she's not running from her current nightmare.
Profile Image
Watergate by Thomas Mallon

This is a fictionalized telling of the Watergate saga from some close to the scandal (Richard Nixon, Rose Mary Woods, Howard Hunt, Fred LaRue, Elliot Richardson) and those on the sidelines (Pat Nixon, Dorothy Hunt, Alice Roosevelt Longworth). Quite entertaining.

I had initially started to read Woodward & Bernstein's "All the Presidents' Men" but I set it aside for this one. May go back to finish it now that I have been reintroduced to all the major players.
Profile Image
I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

First book of hers that I have read. 15 year old Elizabeth is kidnapped and eventually raped by Walter Bowman. He has killed other girls, and one after he kidnaps her, but some how she survives. Some 20 years later, he is still on death row, still scheduled for execution, and she is married with 2 children. He finds her and asks to see her. If she comes, he will answer questions about all his crimes. She has always wanted to know why he let her live. The story is about the kidnapping, and about what decisions she makes about seeing him.
Profile Image
I'd Know You Anywhere by Laura Lippman

First book of hers that I have read. 15 year old Elizabeth is kidnapped and eventually raped by Walter Bowman. He has killed other girls, and one after he kidnaps her, but some how she survives. Some 20 years later, he is still on death row, still scheduled for execution, and she is married with 2 children. He finds her and asks to see her. If she comes, he will answer questions about all his crimes. She has always wanted to know why he let her live. The story is about the kidnapping, and about what decisions she makes about seeing him.

Ewwww...I don't think as the victim, I could see him
Profile Image
Eleven Days Donald Harstad BCID xxx12488923

Based on real events evidently and rather unbelievably. This is the story of mass murder and a satanic cult. Links are found to an earlier multiple killing. A few red herrings along the way until the real psychotic killer is found.
I am hosting a bookring of books with a number in title. This fits the bill.

Alabama, Florida, Hawaii , Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah
Profile Image
Eleven Days Donald Harstad BCID xxx12488923

Based on real events evidently and rather unbelievably. This is the story of mass murder and a satanic cult. Links are found to an earlier multiple killing. A few red herrings along the way until the real psychotic killer is found.

I did a double take - IOWA????? Usually it's New York, Montana or Texas for that kind of stuff.
Profile Image
V is for Vengeance. Sue Grafton. BCID xxx12488924

I never tire of PI Kinsey Millhome. I have been a fan of this series for almost 30 years, I recall hearing our Prime Minster David Lange being interviewed about his current reading material and he nominated this series as a quick relaxing read when flying. I have slowly worked my way through them ever since. Purchased for the Alphabet Bookring challenge and good to tick off another State. This was an easy read about Kinsey on the trail of a shoplifting ring that has connections to a Mafia type family. The Dantes. We also learn of the betrayals within the Dante family, and there is a nice happy ever after as always with Grafton.

Alabama, California , Florida, Hawaii , Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah
Profile Image
V is for Vengeance. Sue Grafton. BCID xxx12488924

I never tire of PI Kinsey Millhome. I have been a fan of this series for almost 30 years, I recall hearing our Prime Minster David Lange being interviewed about his current reading material and he nominated this series as a quick relaxing read when flying. I have slowly worked my way through them ever since. Purchased for the Alphabet Bookring challenge and good to tick off another State. This was an easy read about Kinsey on the trail of a shoplifting ring that has connections to a Mafia type family. The Dantes. We also learn of the betrayals within the Dante family, and there is a nice happy ever after as always with Grafton.

Alabama, California , Florida, Hawaii , Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah

I never let myself get into this series....maybe one day when MT TBR declines......
Profile Image
Gone for Good by Harlan Coben
http:http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11140731

There were a lot of twists and turns. Things never turned out to be as I had been led to believe. The main character was Will Klein, an advocate for the homeless teens in his home town. He has so many bad things happen to him, like his hero brother is suspected of the murder of his old girlfriend and has disappeared, and now 11 years later his now girlfriend is murdered, his brothers friends are gangsters and murderers. Will is on a quest to find out the truth about the murders and on the hunt for what happened to his love. The end surprised me. I found this story to be a good read.
Profile Image
Words of Silk by Sandra Brown
http:http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/3571387

I found this a quick read. I agree with others that Deke is manipulative as to getting his own way and Laney is not near as strong as she thinks. It was kind of the same old story, with a night of passion, an unexpected pregnancy, the girl running away, the man out of his mind in love with her and tracking her down. Last minute marriage in the delivery room. Of course, it has a happy ending. Don't they all?
Profile Image
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

Trenton, New Jersey native and resident Stephanie Plum has lost her job and, when she starts running out of possessions to pawn, turns to her cousin for a job at his bail bonding company. Now all she has to do is learn what she needs to know overnight and go after her first assignment - a local cop with whom she has a history.

I've released several books in this series over the years but had never read one. I found it entertaining and a quick read and may pick up some more in the series to read.
Profile Image
One for the Money by Janet Evanovich

Trenton, New Jersey native and resident Stephanie Plum has lost her job and, when she starts running out of possessions to pawn, turns to her cousin for a job at his bail bonding company. Now all she has to do is learn what she needs to know overnight and go after her first assignment - a local cop with whom she has a history.

I've released several books in this series over the years but had never read one. I found it entertaining and a quick read and may pick up some more in the series to read.

I think I used this one for the states challenge years ago. Only one of her books that I read.
Profile Image
A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson

Bad news hits Virginia "Big" Slocumb in fifteen-year cycles - she has a baby at 15, her daughter Liza "Little" follows in her footsteps at 15, and now granddaughter Mosey is aged 15. As everyone waits to see if history will repeat itself, the year turns bad when Liza has a stroke and an infant's body is found buried in the back yard. The fallout from these events threatens the family's future.
Profile Image
A Grown-Up Kind of Pretty by Joshilyn Jackson

Bad news hits Virginia "Big" Slocumb in fifteen-year cycles - she has a baby at 15, her daughter Liza "Little" follows in her footsteps at 15, and now granddaughter Mosey is aged 15. As everyone waits to see if history will repeat itself, the year turns bad when Liza has a stroke and an infant's body is found buried in the back yard. The fallout from these events threatens the family's future.

Hmmm.....this one reminded me of a recent read: The Pregnancy Project, only it was true and turned out differently. The teen did NOT get pregnant and follow in her family's footstep.
Profile Image
On,Off. Colleen McCullough BCID xxx 13181504
A renowned Australian author who died this year. In this she writes a murder mystery set in 1965 Connecticut . Her training as a medical researcher in the US has obviously given her rich material for the hunt for a ghastly depraved serial killer of young beautiful girls of Caribbean or mixed race heritage. The hunt is set in and around a medical research facility in the town of Holloman.

Alabama, California , Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii , Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah
Profile Image
On,Off. Colleen McCullough BCID xxx 13181504
A renowned Australian author who died this year. In this she writes a murder mystery set in 1965 Connecticut . Her training as a medical researcher in the US has obviously given her rich material for the hunt for a ghastly depraved serial killer of young beautiful girls of Caribbean or mixed race heritage. The hunt is set in and around a medical research facility in the town of Holloman.

Alabama, California , Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii , Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah

I didn't know she was trained as a medical researcher.
Profile Image
Breath to Breath by Carrie Maloney

I read this on my Kindle and didn't really care for it. If I read a story about a veterinarian, I want it to be full of things to do with animals, not full of stories about the quirky people in the town.

Anna, a widow for five years is a veterinarian who hasn't fully come to grips with the fact that her husband is dead. When five puppies and their mother are brought in for emergency reasons, (The man who owns them buried the pups alive) she has a breakdown and leaves the practice, taking mom and pups with her. Three months later she is back, and gives the pups away to people in the town. The story then centers more around those people, and problems they have as opposed to things going on at the clinic.
Profile Image
The Rosary Murders
by William X. Kienzle

Kindle Reader

Sin ... confession ... penance ... five Our Fathers ... five Hail Marys.

First, comes sin and then confession. Confession precedes penance, and that's five Our Fathers and five Hail Marys. But, what if the penitent's sin is so heinous that it cannot be absolved by repeating the prayers every Roman Catholic knows so well he can repeat them without thinking? What if the penitent simply cries out for help?

The author of "The Rosary Murders," William X. Kienzle, was a Roman Catholic priest for twenty years and resigned because of philosophical differences with the Church. This may be a clue why his message in the book goes far deeper than the murder mystery which is clever and puzzling. Why are priests and nuns alternately turning up murdered all over the Detroit Diocese, and who's the perpetrator? Father Robert Koesler eventually figures out the answers to those questions while encountering police officers, news reporters, priests, and nuns.

It is, however, the questions Father Koesler doesn't even ask which linger longest with the reader. Those questions are in the book but deep below the plot. Is the Roman Catholic Church an authority or a guide, a punisher or a counselor? When a penitent cries out for help should the Church slap his hand or get him help? Those questions were difficult to answer when the book was published in 1979, several years after Vatican II, but they are impossible to answer now in light of the pedophilia scandal among priests. How does an institution as massive and as steeped in tradition as the Roman Catholic Church remain relevant in a rapidly moving society?

The changes brought about by the Vatican II Council are as much a backdrop in this book as the City of Detroit. By weaving the changes into the mystery and making them integral to the plot, Kienzle adroitly elucidates those differences in ways which enlighten non-Catholics like me.

This book is thought-provoking and well-written with three-dimensional characters and an excellent mystery.

Profile Image
Bones of the Lost by Kathy Reichs
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13303996

Tempe Brennan is a forensic anthropologist; normally she works in North Carolina and Canada. This time she starts in Carolina but finds herself traveling to Afghanistan for both personal and professional reasons.
Profile Image

16/51 - Ohio

Justice and Her Brothers by Virginia Hamilton
Humble Bundle e-book purchase

Eleven-year-old Justice's twin big brothers Thomas and Levi may be identical in appearance, but they have very different personalities. This becomes even clearer when Justice realizes that all three of them have special psychic abilities.
Profile Image
Superfudge by Judy Blume
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13304008

Peter has enough trouble with his younger brother, Fudge. When his parents tell him that (1) there's going to be a new baby and (2) they're moving to Princeton for a year, Peter feels like his whole life is turned upside down.

Other 2015 reads for New Jersey:

• Lily's Crossing - http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13723303
Profile Image
Night Sins by Tami Hoag
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13247783

When a young boy goes missing, the lives of many people in town are dramatically changed.
Profile Image
Beauty Before Comfort by Allison Glock

The author's memoir of her grandmother, Aneita Jean Blair, who grew up in a one-industry town (pottery) in Hancock County, West Virginia, buxom, beautiful, and determined to escape the area. Using Aneita Jean's memory books of her youth, we are introduced to her family, neighbors, pottery, and the many boys and men of the area who desired her.

A slim volume (under 200 pages) and a quick read. While her youth might be what some call scandalous and irresponsible, it is also a story of a girl wanting to live a life by her own rules and not that of what society expects.
Profile Image
I'm at a standstill - same states over and over
Profile Image
A Woman Ignored by T.B. Markinson
E-book freebie

Probably not something I'd pick up normally, but set in Colorado, and free, so.... Apparently book 2 in the series. Lizzie's wife tells her she wants a baby, and shortly afterwards she finds out that her mother - who has never accepted Lizzie's lifestyle - has cancer. Not bad, although I did pretty much skip the love scenes.
Profile Image
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13365885

Vivian has recently moved to the suburbs of Maryland with the rest of the werewolf pack. When she falls for a human boy from her high school, life gets complicated.

I could hear Anita singing "Stick to Your Own Kind" in my head as I read this, but overall it wasn't bad.
Profile Image
Seattle Quake 9.2 by Marti Talbott
E-book freebie

What it sounds like: Seattle is hit by a major earthquake and its aftershocks. The story focuses on a group of investigators searching for a woman previously thought to have died many years before, the people running a small radio station, and numerous ham radio operators. It was a good look at the role that these amateur radio enthusiasts can play during a major disaster. Apparently Jackie and her gang are in a series of books.
Profile Image
E-book freebie

What it sounds like: Seattle is hit by a major earthquake and its aftershocks. The story focuses on a group of investigators searching for a woman previously thought to have died many years before, the people running a small radio station, and numerous ham radio operators. It was a good look at the role that these amateur radio enthusiasts can play during a major disaster. Apparently Jackie and her gang are in a series of books.

So, where do you get these e-book freebies? I haven't seen this one. Sounds interesting.
Profile Image
E-book freebie

So, where do you get these e-book freebies? I haven't seen this one. Sounds interesting.

I get a daily e-mail from BookBub ( https://www.bookbub.com/---/overview.php ) and *try* to only get the free ones - they are often free for a limited time only.

Right now the first book in that series is NOT free, but the second one (not set in Washington) is free:
http://www.amazon.com/---/ref=la_B003XSYENA

Here are some other lists - be aware that many of these are short stories or only a PREVIEW of the book, not the whole thing.

Nook - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/---/379003078/
Kindle - http://www.amazon.com/b?...
Profile Image
Norman Tuttle on the Last Frontier by Tom Bodett
Audio CDs - http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13350748

Norman Tuttle is a teenager in Alaska, but a lot of his growing pains are pretty universal.
Profile Image
The Green Glass Sea by Ellen Klages
Audio download
Paper copy here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12623936

Dewey Kerrigan's dad is working on a super-secret project for the government in a place that doesn't officially exist. Can the scientists make the "gadget" work and help win the war?

The "Green Glass Sea" of the title refers to a substance called Trinitite... http://www.orau.org/---/trinitite.htm
Profile Image
Intimate Strangers by Sandra Marton
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/8380755

A good little romance story. Jessica worked for an advertising agency and was headed for a location shoot in Wyoming. The small airplane that would take her there was piloted by Chad O'Bryan. They flew into a bad thunderstorm and Chad had to make an emergency landing on a small lake.
Profile Image
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12780866

Elijah is the first freeborn child of the former slaves living in the settlement of Buxton, located in Canada West. The people of Buxton avoid the American slavecatchers who come across the border and gladly welcome new additions to their community - one of the end points of the Underground Railroad.

Despite growing up hearing about slavery, Elijah doesn't really understand what it means to be free until he takes an unexpected trip to Michigan.
Profile Image
Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12780866

Elijah is the first freeborn child of the former slaves living in the settlement of Buxton, located in Canada West. The people of Buxton avoid the American slavecatchers who come across the border and gladly welcome new additions to their community - one of the end points of the Underground Railroad.

Despite growing up hearing about slavery, Elijah doesn't really understand what it means to be free until he takes an unexpected trip to Michigan.

Interesting. I never thought of end points of the underground railroad except "Canada" - never really thinking about exactly where.
Profile Image
3rd times the charm!

I read Revival by Stephen King

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read, and I had trouble putting it down, BUT...
Where was the horror? Where was the "vintage Stephen King" as promised on the cover?
Maybe the last 30 pages of 403 were suppose to be the scariest part, and I just wasn't impressed. And the ending, while not what I wanted to read, made sense.

Basically, the main character Jamie, meets a preacher when he is six years old. This preacher has a fascination with electricity. They cross paths several times as Jamie grows up. When Jamie hits about age 58, they meet for the last time. The then ex-preacher has developed his secret energy as far as it can go, and the results of his last experiment with it end badly.
Profile Image
3rd times the charm!

I read Revival by Stephen King

I really enjoyed this book. It was a fast read, and I had trouble putting it down, BUT...
Where was the horror? Where was the "vintage Stephen King" as promised on the cover?
Maybe the last 30 pages of 403 were suppose to be the scariest part, and I just wasn't impressed. And the ending, while not what I wanted to read, made sense.

Basically, the main character Jamie, meets a preacher when he is six years old. This preacher has a fascination with electricity. They cross paths several times as Jamie grows up. When Jamie hits about age 58, they meet for the last time. The then ex-preacher has developed his secret energy as far as it can go, and the results of his last experiment with it end badly.

While Steven King is known for horror, I don't think that's all he writes. I really don't know as I haven't read much of his work. I just knew he made his mark with horror at first.
Profile Image
Yeah, I was an avid fan of his first books, then it (and he) got to the point where I didn't read him for several years. Then one of his newer books looked more like his old ones, and I started again. I really liked 11/22/63 which was more a time travel than anything. I guess I was just disappointed because they hyped this one up as scary and I didn't think it was. I still liked the story.
Profile Image
Can't believe I didn't mark one of the May Cowboy books for Plum's challenge down for this one. Cowboys are always in Texas, Montana and a smattering in Wyoming.....

The Cowboy Soldier by Roz Denny Fox htp://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/12680617

Not as good as some of the author's other books. This one was a bit more forced to weave in today's PTSD vets with ranching.
Profile Image
Zero Day David Baldacci BCID xxx12488930

I am not a huge fan of this author, but purchased this in a book sale while travelling for work because the title starts with Z and I am participating in the alphabet challenge. Z has been a struggle to locate.
It introduces military investigator John Puller, war hero to investigate the murder of a family with military connections. For a non American the alphabet names all get very confusing. Quite clearly the author venerates the military in a way that is unfamiliar to a New Zealander. This tale also developed into potential nuclear holocaust. New Zealand has had a no nukes policy for decades and we have neither nuclear weaponry nor nuclear power plants, so it is a fear I don't hold. Of course Puller saves the day lose the gal, and goes home to his cat looks after his demented Dad ( a military here) and his jailed brother ( military hero).
Despite the very predictable plot, this book did paint a picture of a state that is reliant on the dying coal industry and suffering population loss as a result, with many citizens impoverished and reliant on welfare.
Alabama, California , Connecticut, Florida, Hawaii , Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts , New York, Pennsylvania , Texas, Utah, West Virginia
Profile Image
Not only is a "Z" title hard to find, but West Virginia tends to be an obscure state for books too.
Profile Image
The Day the Laughter Stopped
by David Yallop

Kindle Reader

Roscoe was a mentor to Charlie Chaplin and discovered Buster Keaton and Bob Hope. He worked at Keystone Studio with Harold Lloyd and starred in many films with Mabel Normand. For a time, he was the highest paid and most famous film star in the world.

The four great comedians of the silent film era were Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, and Roscoe Arbuckle. Roscoe, billed as "Fatty," was the most famous of them all. In 1921, just before Labor Day weekend, Roscoe had just finished three films and needed a break. He and two friends decided to spend the holiday weekend in San Francisco. They drove from Los Angeles in Roscoe's Pierce Arrow, and on that trip, the laughter stopped.

"The Day the Laughter Stopped" by David Yallop is the biography of Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle from his birth in a sod hut in Kansas to his death of a heart attack at age 46 in New York City. The emphasis in the book is on that Labor Day, 1921, and its aftermath. Roscoe and his two friends booked three adjoining rooms on the 12th floor of the St. Francis Hotel at Union Square. A party started.

A young actress, Virginia Rappe, became injured during the party while sleeping on the bed in one of the rooms. Four days later, she died. Roscoe was blamed for her death by Maude Delmont, another young star, who was more interested in seeking publicity than the truth. Maude's story and other details which never happened were published far and wide by William Randolph Hearst in his newspapers.

Roscoe was arrested and put on trial by the San Francisco District Attorney, Matthew Brady, who had his eyes on the governorship of California, not on justice. Two hung juries and an acquittal later, Roscoe Arbuckle's career was in shambles. The last jury took only five minutes to end his ordeal. They took the five minutes in the jury room to write a note of apology to Roscoe which said he should never have been charged in the first place.

In David Yallop's book, you get to know Roscoe Arbuckle -- his kindness, his humor, his sensitivity, his intelligence, his generosity, and his tragedy. Too bad it doesn't wipe away all the stain that others put on him.

"But one day in September 1921, all of the laughter stopped. Overnight what had been innocent fun was suddenly being denounced as 'another Hollywood drunken orgy' or 'one more shocking example of sex depravity.' The day our laughter stopped was the day that Roscoe Arbuckle was accused of having caused the death of Virginia Rappe." --Buster Keaton
Profile Image
The Day the Laughter Stopped
by David Yallop

Kindle Reader

Roscoe was a mentor to Charlie Chaplin and discovered Buster Keaton and Bob Hope. He worked at Keystone Studio with Harold Lloyd and starred in many films with Mabel Normand. For a time, he was the highest paid and most famous film star in the world.

The four great comedians of the silent film era were Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, and Roscoe Arbuckle. Roscoe, billed as "Fatty," was the most famous of them all. In 1921, just before Labor Day weekend, Roscoe had just finished three films and needed a break. He and two friends decided to spend the holiday weekend in San Francisco. They drove from Los Angeles in Roscoe's Pierce Arrow, and on that trip, the laughter stopped.

"The Day the Laughter Stopped" by David Yallop is the biography of Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle from his birth in a sod hut in Kansas to his death of a heart attack at age 46 in New York City. The emphasis in the book is on that Labor Day, 1921, and its aftermath. Roscoe and his two friends booked three adjoining rooms on the 12th floor of the St. Francis Hotel at Union Square. A party started.

A young actress, Virginia Rappe, became injured during the party while sleeping on the bed in one of the rooms. Four days later, she died. Roscoe was blamed for her death by Maude Delmont, another young star, who was more interested in seeking publicity than the truth. Maude's story and other details which never happened were published far and wide by William Randolph Hearst in his newspapers.

Roscoe was arrested and put on trial by the San Francisco District Attorney, Matthew Brady, who had his eyes on the governorship of California, not on justice. Two hung juries and an acquittal later, Roscoe Arbuckle's career was in shambles. The last jury took only five minutes to end his ordeal. They took the five minutes in the jury room to write a note of apology to Roscoe which said he should never have been charged in the first place.

In David Yallop's book, you get to know Roscoe Arbuckle -- his kindness, his humor, his sensitivity, his intelligence, his generosity, and his tragedy. Too bad it doesn't wipe away all the stain that others put on him.

"But one day in September 1921, all of the laughter stopped. Overnight what had been innocent fun was suddenly being denounced as 'another Hollywood drunken orgy' or 'one more shocking example of sex depravity.' The day our laughter stopped was the day that Roscoe Arbuckle was accused of having caused the death of Virginia Rappe." --Buster Keaton

An obscure story I never heard about. Thanks for reporting it
Profile Image

7/51 Maine

Colony by Anne Rivers Siddons
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/11840095

Retreat is a family vacation home that has been in the family for years. As Maude is trying to convince her granddaughter she should take over the property she recollects her time in the house and how she, as a young newlywed, was opposed to the house, the rules of the family and society. Overtime she came to appreciate the house and everything it stood for. It was now time for her granddaughter to take over the family heirloom and continue the traditions of long ago.
Profile Image
The Chocolate Bridal Bash by JoAnna Carl

In this 6th book of the series, Lee and Joe are getting married, but Lee's mom is afraid to come back to Michigan for the wedding. Why? And why, when she finally does arrive, is she almost kidnapped at the airport? What does all this have to do with why she ran away from Warner Pier in the first place, almost 30 years ago?
Profile Image
The Chocolate Bridal Bash by JoAnna Carl

The title alone would get me to pick up this book. It's so different!
Profile Image
Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town
by Jon Krakauer

Kindle Reader

This review coincides with the Duggar Family's coming up with its story to rationalize their son's molestation of four of his sisters and another girl and how his actions had no negative effect on any of the five children. Having recently finished "Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town" by Jon Krakauer, I was thunderstruck at the parallels between the Duggar's story and the book.

The Duggar story supposedly didn't involve rape but only brief touching, if you believe that. The five situations Jon Krakauer uses to examine how justice works in a college town were all quite clearly rape. Josh Duggar received no legal consequences for his actions. Only one of the eight Missoula rapists (five cases, eight rapists) ended up in jail.

Both the Duggar and Missoula stories involved celebrity perpetrators. The Missoula cases involved mostly students from the University of Montana. One of the rapists was the star quarterback on the Grizzlies football team and most others were football players. In a small college town, we all know the status of the football players.

The Duggar Family lives in a Christian bubble, and the Missoula rapists exist in a Griz bubble. In those bubbles, their many supporters close ranks and support the perpetrators and attack the "outsiders." The Duggars and Fox news are already attacking the "liberal" media and the police department. The obsessive Griz football fans in Missoula attacked the victims and Jon Krakauer. Find a sample here: http://www.egriz.com/---/viewtopic.php?...

On both the Griz message board and the two hours of interviews by Megyn Kelly on Fox of the Duggar parents and two of the sisters, the victims don't count. Most important is clearing the names of the perpetrators and protecting the names of the Duggars/Christians and Missoula/University of Montana/Griz football. In their reactions, it becomes clear the "fans" believe the actions of the perpetrators reflect badly on them. I don't think so, and you probably don't think so, but the people inside the bubbles take the crimes as personal reflections on them. They don't want to lose their reputations.

Jon Krakauer's book is an important one for how it clarifies so many issues surrounding acquaintance rape. I think every child who hits puberty, male and female, should read this book and so should their parents.

By the way, the Griz quarterback eventually returned to the team and was cheered by his fans. My guess is the Christian fans will get the Duggar Family back on television and see that as a personal triumph for them.
Profile Image
Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town
by Jon Krakauer

Thank you for your review. I've been considering picking this one up for my Montana book as well.
Profile Image
Thank you for your review. I've been considering picking this one up for my Montana book as well.

I highly recommend it. I'd send you my copy, but it's on my Kindle. ;-)
Profile Image
Finally the drought is over and with a very appropriate title and book theme!

Rainsinger by Ruth Wind http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7187508
A nicely different romance, about a part Navajo man and a white woman, both having claims on a peach orchard homestead in New Mexico during a drought summer.
Profile Image
Shakespeare's Landlord
by Charlaine Harris

Kindle Reader

At various spots in "Shakespeare's Landlord" by Charlaine Harris, the author slips into "How to" mode by relating step-by-step cleaning tasks, goju karate moves and exercises, and meal preparation from putting away the groceries to cleaning the dishes after eating. That's the least desirable aspect of this book, and it is a semi-minor complaint.

Lily Bard is a cleaning woman with a college degree, who was a National Merit Scholar. She came to Shakespeare, a little town in Arkansas, four years before the story begins. She keeps to herself and serves her clients well. She knows people, of course, but doesn't quite relate to them. Oh, and she often can't sleep at night and takes long walks around town.

One night, she sees someone dump a body in the park near her house. The dead guy turns out to be the landlord of the apartment building next door to her. The killer used Lily's trash cart to transport the body to the park. Lily can't help getting involved in solving the case since she cleans most of the domiciles of the people of interest.

Obviously, Lily's not leading the life she'd planned. In fact, she's avoiding a life she'd prefer to forget. As she thinks her way through the landlord's murder, she begins connecting with people, and they gradually pull her out of the shell she's inhabited.

There are some very funny lines in this book. My favorite is delivered by the town slut. In her frustration with Lily one day, she says, "I swear to God you are the weirdest cleaning woman in Arkansas." In its context, the line is very funny.

Profile Image
Massachusetts - Ever After by Jude Deveraux
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13414365

Well written with believable characters and ghostly ones too. The main lady, Hallie, has had a difficult life with a step-mother and step-sister she should never had to put up with. I like the way she came away with a pleasant attitude. The main man, Jamie, in the story was a man with a secret, but eventually he was able to reveal it to Hallie. I liked the way Jude made her characters with so many different personalities.

Edited to number 24................seems I missed entering a state.
Profile Image
The Hangman's Knot by David Wiltse
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13156049

Billy Tree is a former member of the Secret Service; injured in the line of duty, he retires to his home town and joins the Sheriff's department. He finds himself caught up in both current and past events: the writer starts off by telling the older story backwards, starting with the crime that gives the book its title.

I finally got caught up in the story and needed to see how it ended, but the first two-thirds were hard going. I didn't much care for any of the characters and only persisted because it was my Nebraska read for this challenge. On the other hand, previous readers seem to have enjoyed it, so YMMV.

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.