corner corner March Readathon - read on...

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

March Readathon - read on...

I know this does not apply to everyone, but hopefully everyone has recovered from "springing forwrard" an hour and is read to spend some serious time reading. This coming Friday 23 March will be our kick off day for March
QUESTION-What is the readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over these 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting-just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books. Anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START as Thursday 22 March at 2359pm turns to midnight Friday 23 March in your timezone. We read 7 full days and nights and stop as Thursday 29 March becomes Friday 30 March in your timezone. So our reading days are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes we post our final totals and the sign up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading-this is a fun challenge! We all read at different speeds and have different time constraints and work/family committments so don't worry if you see people way ahead of you! Read what you can, clear some tbrs off your shelf and enjoy!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I know this does not apply to everyone, but hopefully everyone has recovered from "springing forwrard" an hour and is read to spend some serious time reading. This coming Friday 23 March will be our kick off day for March
QUESTION-What is the readathon?
The aim is to read for 24 hours spread out over these 7 full days and nights. Don't worry if you can't manage the full 24 as it is not as easy as it sounds. 24 hours is just a target to make things interesting-just read as much as you can. Some of us rarely reach it; some of us focus on finishing a particular number of books,etc. The true aim is to have fun! Joining is simple, just post below and say hello! Remember to take note of when we start.

QUESTION-What am I allowed to read!
Normal books, plays, screenplays, poetry, graphic novels, manga, marvel/DC comics, university/college textbooks, books set by schools, audio books, e-books. Anything really except newspapers and magazines.

QUESTION-What happens before we start?
After posting here, if you want to you can post your reading goals, set your own reading target and tell us the books you intend to read for the upcoming event. This is all optional!

QUESTION-What happens in the readathon?
You take note of the amount of time you read and then post here to tell us how you are getting on. Most people post daily, but it is not required. You can tell us what you are reading and what you think of it if you want to. We all love books and are naturally curious about what everyone is reading. Some people use clocks or timers or paper and pen to keep track of reading time as it is easy to forget! Book recommendations are always welcome, so if you like what you are reading, tell us about it please!

QUESTION-When do we start and finish? WE START as Thursday 22 March at 2359pm turns to midnight Friday 23 March in your timezone. We read 7 full days and nights and stop as Thursday 29 March becomes Friday 30 March in your timezone. So our reading days are Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.
What happens at the end of the readathon?
After the readathon finishes we post our final totals and the sign up sheet for the next month will go up. Hopefully we'll see you there again!

Remember not to get stressed about your reading-this is a fun challenge! We all read at different speeds and have different time constraints and work/family committments so don't worry if you see people way ahead of you! Read what you can, clear some tbrs off your shelf and enjoy!
Profile Image
24 hours but focusing more on finishing an anthology I've started. It's hard to read a mix of poetry and short stories without taking breaks in between. I have to think about one work before I start another.
Profile Image
I will aim to get in to double figures this month. This has not been achieved during my last two attempts so could it be third time lucky?
Profile Image

I'm in!!!

thanks for hosting this:)
Profile Image
And want to get at least 12 hours done.. and a book moved on. :)
Though I think the springing forward an hour has yet to come here (in Europe, or maybe I missed it :p)?

Profile Image
I will join in as well 24hrs is not do able but I will try for 2 hours per day. Spring starts for us in Ireland on the 25th.
Profile Image
I marked 17.5 hours last month. My goal is 20 hours this month. I have some projects going on and am still on learning process with my new job. I hope I can find reading time at least the same hours with the last month and finish currently-reading books.
Profile Image
I think I will give this a go this month, it sounds like fun. I think that trying to read 24hours worth in seven days is enough of a goal. I am not a particularly fast reader and it will actually be quite interesting to see how much I can get through.
Profile Image

I'm in!

And for as much reading as I can squeeze in around work and school. Should be able to get in 10 hours (commute time) and hopefully a bit more.
Profile Image
and someone new. It's only Tuesday, and I'm ready for the weekend.
Profile Image
Hehe, I had the day off work today and I spent as much time as possible preparing meals etc., so that I don't have as much to do on the weekend. Is that cheating?
Profile Image
Hehe, I had the day off work today and I spent as much time as possible preparing meals etc., so that I don't have as much to do on the weekend. Is that cheating?

Wow, I'm impressed!
Profile Image

I'm in!

This will be my first time! I can't imagine getting in 24 hours although it would be awesome! I will try for double digits (10 or more).
Profile Image
So sorry guys that I haven't been taking part over the last few months. The truth is I have just lost my reading mojo; I start books and just can't get into them. I have moved over to reading non fiction and its seems to be coming back. Today I bought a few books that look "different" so I am going to see if I am just bored with my usual genre. I am going to try the challenge this month and see how I get on.
Profile Image
I got as far as 19 hours last time, so I'll see if I can make the full 24 this time. I still have a TBR pile that needs thinning, not to mention some library books that I need to get to.
Profile Image
6 more books by the the end of March. I have several on the go and will focus on the thought of "doing the reading" rather than "doing the time." :-) Maybe I'll accomplish both!
Profile Image
Reading The Color of Light by Karen White - a women's fiction/thriller filled with what ifs and what happened 16 years ago? It's on a wishlist, so will be rabck'd out when done.
Profile Image
I have started! What fun. I knew the stopwatch on my Iphone would come in handy one day. I have started reading A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin and want to read up to the same spot that my son is up to, so that's about a third of the way through. Once I have read that I will flick back to finish Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult and I would also like to make good inroads into my second Agatha Christie, The Secret Adversary.

I have been invited out now for tea on Wednesday night so need to try and fit extra reading into the weekend to make up for those few hours that I was relying on. The weather here (Melbourne Australia) is awful today, raining on and off so lovely weather to just stay inside and snuggle up with a book.

Good luck to everyone else, I hope you all enjoy whatever reading you get done today.
Profile Image
I'm excited about this too! I'm starting with Breaking Dawn. And I will also be working on Names of the Dead, but only a little at a time on that one. It was cold here today but it's supposed to be a nice weekend so that makes it a little harder to stay in & read lol.
Profile Image
Not bad AND I finished reading 3 books. All were started before today, but it feels good to be starting a fresh book.
Profile Image

Day 1....

1 hr 30 mins, halfway through reading Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult.
Definitely an awesome read so far!!
Profile Image
Thats an excellent start for me :)
Profile Image
+ 2 hours yesterday. Finished The Color of Light by Karen White - excellent book with a twist at the very, very end. It's on it's way to another reader already.

Now juggling 3: Waiting for Snow in Havana (maybe I'll even get it finished to complete the SIY challenge!), 4 Little Blessings for next month's middle of the year release challenge, and Gifts of the Heart - an essay bedtime read promised to QueenFrog when done.
Profile Image

Day 1

2 hrs. + 15 min.

I'm impressed lol! But I did find it more difficult than I expected to keep track of my time :-/

I read The Speckled Band which is a kids book that had been sent to me & I now want to get it moving again so thought I'd give it a quick read first. I read a few pages from Names of the Dead, and I'm working on Breaking Dawn (still less than 1/2 way through)!
Profile Image

Day 1

5 hrs - I am very happy with that. I don't expect to do that much any other day so am glad for the initial boost.

I kept track with the stop watch function on my iphone but I did read in a lot of snippets here and there and that is when it gets tricky.

I read up to the part of A Game of Thrones that I wanted to and then went back to Lone Wolf. I ended up back with A Game of Thrones because I just enjoying it so much.

ETA I mucked up the days, sheesh, how much clearer could the instructions have been lol. Anyway I didn't time myself on Friday but I would have read at least 2 hours so I am going to have to go with that.

So my hours so far are:

Day 1 - 2 hours
Day 2 - 5 hours
Profile Image
Not a very spectacular start. Busy weekend, so I don't expect to get a block of reading time in until the commute on Monday.
Profile Image
Not fabulous but I did quite a bit of housecleaning today. All of you are doing so well!
Profile Image
Pleased with that. Finished a book too. Total so far 5 hours 30 mins
Profile Image
Not too bad. Almost 2 hours on the first day (1.55 hrs), and 1.40 hrs yesterday. I finished 'The World According to Garp' (I was close to the end already), not sure what to think of it.
Today started with an hour less (daylight saving), and haven't done any reading yet, but I'm off to sit outside in the sun with 'Uncle Silas' now (a 1001 bookring).
Profile Image

Day 2

Another 2 hrs 15 min which brings my total to 4.5 hrs.

Still reading Breaking Dawn & Names of the Dead.
Profile Image
I made only 30 minutes of reading time on Friday because I spent too much time on the project I am currently working on.

So, I indulged myself by spending more time on reading the book on Saturday:) It has been a while I spent a good amount of time on reading a book instead of listening an audiobook. My reading hours on day-2 was 5 hours + listening audiobook for 1.5 hours=total 6.5 hours.

My total reading hours at the end of day-2 is 7 hours. I am still reading for today, day-3. I hope I can finish this book I've been reading for weeks. This book is a hard-cover with over 500-page so it is hard to bring everywhere and hold to read!
Profile Image
Well...I may be able to hit the double digits this week, but I won't be hitting 24 hours. That's OK. I am managing to get some reading done and would like to read 3 books before the end of the month.
Profile Image
Makes a total so far of 6 hrs 30 mins.
Finished Lone Wolf and also Letters From the Inside on day 3.
Profile Image
Makes a total so far of 6 hrs 30 mins.
Finished Lone Wolf and also Letters From the Inside on day 3.

How was Lone Wolf? I'm looking forward to reading it!
Profile Image

Day 3

I managed 4 hours on Day 3 which brings me up to 11 hours, I'm more than happy with that.
Profile Image

Day 3

1.5 hrs. = 6 hrs. so far
Profile Image
a Library book came in, so that hijacked all my other reading :-) Highland WArrior by Hannah Howell - Scotland in the 1400's for 2 hours. And I had some small group discussion reading for my church group - that was another hour.
Profile Image
just 1 hour 5 mins making my total 6 hours 35 mins
Profile Image
I also slowed down but hope to do a bit more reading tomorrow as I took the day off because I have a doctor's appt.
Profile Image

Day 4

3.5 hours which brings me up to 14.5 hours.
Profile Image
Another 30 mins notched up making the total so far 7 hours 5 mins. I still have a chance at making it to double figures:)
Profile Image
Finshed up the Highlands book, so that can go back into the library bag :-)

Now off on an Oregon Bridges wagon train adventure; The Brides of Prairie Gold by Maggie Osbourne. It's for 2 challenges: the ultimate challenge and 4 elements.
Profile Image

Day 4

2.5 hrs. = 8.5 hrs. so far!
Profile Image
Only 1 hr 5 min on day 3, and 1 hr 40 min on day 4. Today another 1 hr and 30 min, will try to get some more reading in later today.
I'm really enjoying Uncle Silas so far ('a victorian gothic novel of mystery' says the cover, by J.S LeFanu). Atmospheric and sometimes quite creepy.. :p
Profile Image

Day 5

3 hrs for day 5 bringing me up to 17.5 hours.
Profile Image
I've only been able to do my reading in little bits these days, so it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll make the full 24 this time around...oh well, at least I've been able to finish a few library books and TBRs.
Profile Image
I've only been able to do my reading in little bits these days, so it's looking increasingly unlikely that I'll make the full 24 this time around...oh well, at least I've been able to finish a few library books and TBRs.

Hitting that 24 mark is VERY difficult; I always enjoy finishing up a few more books regardless of the time.
Profile Image
With some effort I probably could have finished reading The Sisters Brothers tonight; however, I don't want it to end.
Profile Image
Now a total of 11 hours!
Profile Image

Day 5

4 hrs. which brings me to 12.5 and passes my goal with 2 days to go!
Profile Image
No not in one day! Just 25 mins. I have already beaten that today and hope to be reading some more tonight, so the next daily report will be better :)
Profile Image
aaaccckkk...work decided this was a "social networking site" and turned off access. Imagine that!

Continuing through Brides of Prairie Gold for the two challenges - almost done - and picked up a short story book for before bed: Flowers in the Rain by Rosamunde Pilcher.
Profile Image
At least I made it to the half way point. :-) I hope to get at least 2 hours in tomorrow.
Profile Image
making a total so far of 8hours 35 mins

Not a happy chick because I forgot to bring my book in to work today, so there wasn't any chance of grabbing a few minutes at lunchtime :(
Profile Image

Day 6

1.5 hrs. = 14 hrs.
Profile Image

Day 6 - 2hrs

Total of 13 hours.
Profile Image
Not bad and I finished reading 2 more books today. Now I just have about 100 pages of a book to read by the end of the month. Success.
I have 2 more hours during the readathon, but I'm happy with these results. If I actually read during those 2 hours...I'll post again tomorrow. Anxious to see how everyone else did!
Profile Image
Day-1& 2 was 7 hours. On day-3, Sunday, I managed 5 hours that made my total 12 hours. Then, from day-4 to 7, I barely made 1 hour a day. My new job schedule is very unfriendly to make reading time in my day!

My end total looks like 16 hours, and it is shorter than the last month. I need to regroup and reorganize my daily schedule so that I can enjoy reading more.
Profile Image
I did 3 hours on day 6 which brought me to 20.5 hours and yesterday I only managed an hour so a total of 21.5 hours, so close but not enough.

It was fun trying though and I did get a fair bit of reading done. I am almost finished A Game of Thrones which would normally take a lot longer.

I look forward to trying it again and maybe reaching the 24 hours.
Profile Image
Finshed Brides of Prarie Gold and one of Rosamunde Pilcher's short stories. A lot of driving yesterday = almost no reading time. Hope springs eternal for better #s next month!
Profile Image
Day 7 was only 1 hour.

This was fun! Hope I can get in on it again next month!
Profile Image
Day 7 - 3 hours

Will join in next month!!
Profile Image
A little short of my 10 hour challenge. I think there must be something in the water in Newcastle Upon Tyne as I see Elizabeth101 hasn't checked in this time and she usually make 24 hours plus! Hope you get your reading mojo back soon Elizabeth :)
Profile Image
Way to go...and I like that all of us are happy to set a realistic goal with the dream of 24 hours always there as a possibility. I did finish reading my book yesterday. I aim for 7 books a month and fell behind in February so upped the number to 9 for March. I just set my reading list for April.
I know there are some more readers to check in - but will just give an early reminder...the April readathon begins on April 20 (my brother's birthday). Watch for that posting about a week before.
Profile Image
Well, at least I made it halfway to the 24 hours (as I hoped I would :p), so I'm happy with that. I'm still reading Uncle Silas though.. going a bit slow. Will try again next time... Thanks again for hosting the readathon Katethegreyt! :)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.