corner corner 666 in 2012 Rule and General Chatting

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

666 in 2012 Rule and General Chatting

Here is a challenge meant to enrich rather than compete with NancyNova's Around the World Challenge (if you haven't checked it out, do!). I participated in this one last year, and it led me to discover new authors I had never read (regions that were hard to complete challenged me to read people and books I would never have found if it weren't for the distribution requirement of the challenge)--it was wonderful. So, starting at midnight of January 1st 2012, and finishing at 11:59pm on December 31st 2012, I'll be challenging myself to the 6 books, 6 countries, 6 continents - Reading Challenge AGAIN. For next year, I've made some rule changes, so read on:

The challenge consists of:

You have to read 6 books which are set in OR are written by an author from 6 different countries in each of the 6 continents within the 12 month period of the 1st day of 2012 and the last.

The 6 continents are:
AFRICA
ASIA (INCL. MIDDLE EAST & S.E. ASIA)
OCEANIA
EUROPE
NORTH AMERICA (INCL. CENTRAL AMERICA & THE CARIBBEAN)
SOUTH AMERICA

So...for example:
Book 1.Japan, Book 2.Saudi Arabia, Book 3.China, Book 4.India, Book 5.Afghanistan

*NB You cannot count books of the same country twice

The following site will help with which countries are where: http://www.worldatlas.com/---/cntycont.htm

Post your books on the books read thread
( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/470098 ) as you read them, but please say a bit about each, so that the thread stays interesting. In each post, give totals read so far for each region, but just post the title/author of the one you have just finished:

Asia (2), Africa (1), Oceania (0), N America (2), S. America (3), Europe (4).
Just finished Middlemarch by George Eliot for England. Despite the length, which intimidated me at first, loved the novel and the its exploration of social norms of the day. It made me eager to read more of the author's work in the future!

This thread will remain up for general strategizing, chatting, new joins, etc.

Feel free to share your books with others on the thread. Oceania, in particular, can be a tough area to complete, otherwise.
And last but not least....THIS IS NOT A RACE, NOR A COMPETITION !!! But for anyone who does actually get all 36 books read, I will definitely give some equivalent of the finishers' medals that marathon runners get for living through the experience! By the way, audiobooks are completely permissible, so if you are training for a marathon, you can read and run at the same time (I did several hours of Satanic Verses during the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November myself!!!).

So who's with me??!!

At the moment, it seems to be:
bookguide
buffyfan
catofUlthar
dutch-book
eparks4232
garibaldisghost
GoryDetails
HINERANGI
iiwi
J4Shaw
jessibud
KiwiinEngland
Klaradyn
NancyNova
pam99
quietorchid
SCOUT-FINCH
SherlockFan

With
gaboyd
FancyHorse
Cassiopaeia
as supportive cheerleaders

If I put you down as a participant, but you are, in fact, a cheerleader, let me know.

Complete Thread

1 2 Next 

Profile Image
Here is a challenge meant to enrich rather than compete with NancyNova's Around the World Challenge (if you haven't checked it out, do!). I participated in this one last year, and it led me to discover new authors I had never read (regions that were hard to complete challenged me to read people and books I would never have found if it weren't for the distribution requirement of the challenge)--it was wonderful. So, starting at midnight of January 1st 2012, and finishing at 11:59pm on December 31st 2012, I'll be challenging myself to the 6 books, 6 countries, 6 continents - Reading Challenge AGAIN. For next year, I've made some rule changes, so read on:

You have to read 6 books which are set in OR are written by an author from 6 different countries in each of the 6 continents within the 12 month period of the 1st day of 2012 and the last.

The 6 continents are:
AFRICA
OCEANIA
EUROPE
SOUTH AMERICA

So...for example:
Book 1.Japan, Book 2.Saudi Arabia, Book 3.China, Book 4.India, Book 5.Afghanistan

The following site will help with which countries are where: http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm

Post your books on the books read thread
( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/470098 ) as you read them, but please say a bit about each, so that the thread stays interesting. In each post, give totals read so far for each region, but just post the title/author of the one you have just finished:

Just finished Middlemarch by George Eliot for England. Despite the length, which intimidated me at first, loved the novel and the its exploration of social norms of the day. It made me eager to read more of the author's work in the future!

This thread will remain up for general strategizing, chatting, new joins, etc.

Feel free to share your books with others on the thread. Oceania, in particular, can be a tough area to complete, otherwise.
And last but not least....THIS IS NOT A RACE, NOR A COMPETITION !!! But for anyone who does actually get all 36 books read, I will definitely give some equivalent of the finishers' medals that marathon runners get for living through the experience! By the way, audiobooks are completely permissible, so if you are training for a marathon, you can read and run at the same time (I did several hours of Satanic Verses during the Philadelphia Half Marathon in November myself!!!).

So who's with me??!!

At the moment, it seems to be:
bookguide
buffyfan
catofUlthar
dutch-book
eparks4232
garibaldisghost
GoryDetails
HINERANGI
iiwi
J4Shaw
jessibud
KiwiinEngland
Klaradyn
NancyNova
pam99
quietorchid
SCOUT-FINCH
SherlockFan

With
gaboyd
FancyHorse
Cassiopaeia
as supportive cheerleaders

If I put you down as a participant, but you are, in fact, a cheerleader, let me know.
Profile Image
participated in any bc challenges but since I read more books this year than I have in many many years, maybe that means I'm ready again. I will have a look at my shelves (tbr and others) and see what I have on hand. Then I will organize and see if this might be doable...

Will this be tracked here or is there still a *Challenge* forum? To be honest, since the changeover to the new format, I haven't checked; I usually only come to this forum and chitchat.
Profile Image
...Will this be tracked here or is there still a *Challenge* forum? To be honest, since the changeover to the new format, I haven't checked; I usually only come to this forum and chitchat.

There's definitely still a (very active!) Release Challenge forum, but this seems to be a reading challenge, so it seems to fit in this forum along with the other ongoing reading challenges.
Profile Image

Yes,

as soon as I posted that question, I went to check. I saw the Release Challenge forum but I agree that this is a reading challenge not a release one. I'll be quite honest, I don't do much (if any) wild releasing any more. Most of my releases are at meetups, which, I suppose is better than none at all. But I am eager for a reading challenge
Profile Image
THere are seven continents:

They are: Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Antarctica

The 6 continents are:
AFRICA
OCEANIA
EUROPE
SOUTH AMERICA

So...for example:

The following site will help with which countries are where: http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm

Post your books as you read them, but please say a bit about each, so that the thread stays interesting. In each post, give totals read so far for each region, but just post the title/author of the one you have just finished:

So who's with me??!!

Profile Image

They are: Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Europe, Australia, and Antarctica

Yes, we do realise that.
But for the purposes of the 666 in 2011 challenge, we participants have been counting the continents / geographical areas like this.
Profile Image
So you just plan to alter the facts?

Yes, we do realise that.
But for the purposes of the 666 in 2011 challenge, we participants have been counting the continents / geographical areas like this.

Profile Image
I'm sure buffyfan that if you want to do this your own way and read 777 that'd be fine.
Please respect that this challnege has been set by eparks4232 and this thread is for people to join in with the challenge, not rip it apart - as someone seems to want to do every year without fail!

As the reference tool has also been given http://www.worldatlas.com the instructions for this challenge are clear.

Profile Image
Not a problem. After all, we can't let the facts slow us down.

I'm sure buffyfan that if you want to do this your own way and read 777 that'd be fine.
Please respect that this challnege has been set by eparks4232 and this thread is for people to join in with the challenge, not rip it apart - as someone seems to want to do every year without fail!

As the reference tool has also been given http://www.worldatlas.com the instructions for this challenge are clear.

Profile Image

Why be so patronising? If you don't like the way this challenge is set up, then don't participate.
Profile Image

Why be so patronising? If you don't like the way this challenge is set up, then don't participate.

I'm just making a point.
Profile Image

I'm just making a point.

Perhaps have a bit more respect and make it elsewhere.....ie in your 777 for 2012 thread?
Profile Image

I'm just making a point.

Perhaps have a bit more respect and make it elsewhere.....ie in your 777 for 2012 thread?

My God.....I was just making a point on the number of continents. That's all.
Profile Image

See:
Countries Listed By Continent........... http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm

NOTE: Only countries recognized (as such) by the United Nations are listed, not dependencies and/or territories.

Regarding England, Scotland and Wales, though considered individual countries, they are all a part of the
United Kingdom (UK), a European country, and therefore included within the United Kingdom on the list below.

Note: South Sudan is the planet's newest country, and that brings Africa's country total to 54.
http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

How many Continents are there in the world?
5 continents
We have been taught in school (way back in the 60's in Europe) that there are five continents, Africa, America, Asia, Australia and Europe, for instance symbolised in the five rings of the Olympic Games.

6 continents
However, there is no standard definition for the number of continents. In Europe, many students are taught about six continents, where North and South America is combined to form a single America.
These six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, and Europe.

7 continents
By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, North America, and South America. Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (because they're one solid landmass).
These six continents are then Africa, Antarctica, Australia/Oceania, Eurasia, North America, and South America.

Oceania a continent?
Actually, by the definition of a continent as a large continuous area of land, the Pacific Islands of Oceania aren't a continent, but one could say they belong to a continent, e.g. Oceania is sometimes associated with the continent of Australia.

So you see, its Open to interpretation, and nobody is, as you put it 'altering the facts'. The host of this reading challenge has simply decided to use 6 continents:

AFRICA
OCEANIA
EUROPE
SOUTH AMERICA
Profile Image

See:
Countries Listed By Continent........... http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm

NOTE: Only countries recognized (as such) by the United Nations are listed, not dependencies and/or territories.

Regarding England, Scotland and Wales, though considered individual countries, they are all a part of the
United Kingdom (UK), a European country, and therefore included within the United Kingdom on the list below.

Note: South Sudan is the planet's newest country, and that brings Africa's country total to 54.
http://www.worldatlas.com/cntycont.htm

How many Continents are there in the world?
5 continents
We have been taught in school (way back in the 60's in Europe) that there are five continents, Africa, America, Asia, Australia and Europe, for instance symbolised in the five rings of the Olympic Games.

6 continents
However, there is no standard definition for the number of continents. In Europe, many students are taught about six continents, where North and South America is combined to form a single America.
These six continents are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, and Europe.

7 continents
By most standards, there are a maximum of seven continents - Africa, Antarctica, Asia, Australia/Oceania, Europe, North America, and South America. Many geographers and scientists now refer to six continents, where Europe and Asia are combined (because they're one solid landmass).
These six continents are then Africa, Antarctica, Australia/Oceania, Eurasia, North America, and South America.

Oceania a continent?
Actually, by the definition of a continent as a large continuous area of land, the Pacific Islands of Oceania aren't a continent, but one could say they belong to a continent, e.g. Oceania is sometimes associated with the continent of Australia.

So you see, its Open to interpretation, and nobody is, as you put it 'altering the facts'.

WHen I went to school, there were 7 Continents. Guess it's changed. I learned something new.
Profile Image
please don't feed the troll. Ignore them and they will go away (one hopes)
Profile Image
Sign me up.
Profile Image

I'm in

Glad to see this is being hosted for 2012 - I've been stockpiling for a wee while, already got my 6 books lined up for some regions and itching to get reading on January 1!
Profile Image

Well!

I've spent the last couple of hours scouring my shelves to see what I have. I also made myself a table of sorts to see how it all shakes out. What I found is most interesting; so far, I have:

Africa - 1 book
Asia - all 6 (I was surprised to find that I had so many books from Asian countries)
Europe - 3
N. America - 4
S. America - 1
Oceania - 1 (this might be the most difficult, in the long run)

I also tried to pick as many from my tbr books as possible. I have emptied a wicker basket and have placed these 16 in them so far. It's quite a variety and I am eager to get started! Thanks, eparks!
Profile Image

RE: Well!

Finding books from Oceania shouldn't be too difficult, Jessibud - but the postage might be something else! But seriously, just have a scout back through Book Talk for one of the threads on books set, or written in Australia/New Zealand and you'll find lots of suggestions. Alternately, set another thread going, and we'll all toss in titles for you to search out - if contestants have a Kindle, or similar, many will be downloadable free.
Profile Image
That's a good idea. The one author I have so far is Australian (Geraldine Brooks). In fact, after posting, I did find another ancient book on my shelf I had forgotten about, Margaret Mead's *Coming of Age in Samoa*, Samoa being the locale in the Oceania group. But I'll still need 4 more. Authors from NZ (or books set there) shouldn't be too difficult for folks to recommend; it's the other places listed in Oceania that I might have trouble with. Any and all suggestions welcome!

Not to worry about sending; we have an excellent public library system here. They can usually find anything!
Profile Image

Post your books as you read them, but please say a bit about each, so that the thread stays interesting. In each post, give totals read so far for each region, but just post the title/author of the one you have just finished:

I quite like this.

I'll be participating again, despite still having 8 or 9 books to go for the 2011 challenge. So for a while I'll be doing both in tandem. Had planned to finish the 36 books by the end of this year, but that won't be happening, as I got distracted by other new books :)

One thing that did surprise me this year: I thought Oceania would be the real challenge, but instead it turned out to be South America! It is just never my first choice when looking for books by setting.
Profile Image
I am currently listening to an audiobook that is quite long. I doubt I will finish before the year's end. As such, can I count it if I finish (but didn't start it) in the new year? Or must all books for this challenge be started in 2012?
Profile Image
but it's a great site and a great excuse to buy second hand books from Amazon (well, you know, in case I can't find the front door key to go to work and have to stay in and read for several months, hence finishing Mt TBR...)

http://www.bookssetin.com/

I've used it to get a couple of Oceania ones lined up!
Profile Image

It sounds nice

but how do you find six countries in Oceania? Australia, New Zealand, Micronesia, and... ?
Profile Image
but how do you find six countries in Oceania? Australia, New Zealand, Micronesia, and... ?

For this year's challenge, I read books set in Australia, New Zealand, Kiribati, Vanuatu, and the Solomon Islands. Now working on one that covers the whole region, but I think I'll put it down for Samoa. There's also Fiji, Tonga, Papua New Guinea...
Here is the Wikipedia entry for Oceania:
http://en.wikipedia.org/---/Oceania
Profile Image

With rabcks :-) I know some of eparks' rabcks to me were then sent to Europe and they're still wandering around over there. I keep getting the j/e's from them. I'll have to look to see where they are - they were for the more unusual countries.
Profile Image
Margaret Mead's *Coming of Age in Samoa*. It's ancient but I'm willing to begin my year with that one in order to finish and send it on, if anyone needs it.

As for the others, I will admit ignorance: there are some countries listed here in Oceania that I had not even heard of!
Profile Image
Margaret Mead's *Coming of Age in Samoa*. It's ancient but I'm willing to begin my year with that one in order to finish and send it on, if anyone needs it.

As for the others, I will admit ignorance: there are some countries listed here in Oceania that I had not even heard of!

Wikipedia is great, you can often even find book names in the entries. I am purposely doing Oceania first so I can pass on my books, since that is a hard one to get done.
Profile Image

OCEANIA (14 countries)
Australia
Fiji
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Micronesia
Nauru
New Zealand
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Samoa
Solomon Islands
Tonga
Tuvalu
Vanuatu
Profile Image

OCEANIA (14 countries)
Australia
Fiji
Kiribati
Marshall Islands
Micronesia
Nauru
New Zealand
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Samoa
Solomon Islands
Tonga
Tuvalu
Vanuatu

Strangely enough, I have Australia, New Zealand and Micronesia/Solomon islands allready and Papua might be possible, we Dutch kolonized that country in the past (that's why I list it under Asia, with Indonesia) and made some scientific and cultural (read baptise the lot) travels. I'm quite curious if the other island even feature in a book.
South America would be a lot harder for me as I have currently only Roberto Bolano's 2666, which counts for 6 books in my book btw. :)
Profile Image
I've just bought a second hand book on Amazon which is apparently someone replicating Captain Cook's journey, so that should cover a couple of islands! I also bought an intriguing book written by a Togolese author about his time in Greenland - not sure where I'll slot that in yet, but it looks like an interesting read!

I've managed to find one book set in Brazil so far, and I'm sure I've read Chilean and Argentinian authors, I just can't think who! I wonder if perhaps the issue is finding South American literature which has been translated into English?
Profile Image
apparently someone replicating Captain Cook's journey, so that should cover a couple of islands! I

Hey what about Nordoff and Hall's classic trilogy on Mutiny on the Bounty? Including the 2nd volume "Pitcairn's Island'. There are also quite a few WWII books on the Solomons...
Profile Image
I will be hitting the ground running hopefully (although I'm not training for any marathons!)

Thanks for organising.
Profile Image
Strangely enough, I have Australia, New Zealand and Micronesia/Solomon islands allready and Papua might be possible, we Dutch kolonized that country in the past (that's why I list it under Asia, with Indonesia) and made some scientific and cultural (read baptise the lot) travels. I'm quite curious if the other island even feature in a book.

The Dutch get everywhere. There are bound to be some books we can find to read, even about the more obscure Oceaniac countries. I've been doing this challenge for the past 3 years, and it's amazing how many books I've found in Castricum or 'dozendag' or in one of Hema-verf's random boxes which fit the bill. Are you going to join us, iiwi?

By the way, I'm definitely doing it again! I didn't quite finish last year's challenge. I think I'll start afresh in 2012. I really must update the map on my profile. I haven't done it at all this year, and I'm curious to know how many of the countries I've got left to read about.

Profile Image
Are you going to join us, iiwi?

I'm thinking of it. My problem is that I only read around 40 books a year. I will try to get the 6 countries in 6 continents and then see about the 6 books (the loophole being that a book can be set in more countries then one). I will do the set part, not the from part. My MtTBR is on country the story is set in anyway.
Profile Image

Ohh, I like this idea.

Is it acceptable to do count books for both this challenge and Nancynova's around the world challenge?
Profile Image
Is it acceptable to do count books for both this challenge and Nancynova's around the world challenge?

Absolutely! I started the country-hopping challenge because I KNEW with the new grandbaby and starting grad school (and working fulltime too), there was no way I would get through 36 countries in 2012.

Beth and I are in the same bookcrossing meetup - we've talked. You can be in one, the other or both!
Profile Image
Looks like fun!
Profile Image
Hi guys!!! I just got back from visiting relatives for the holidays and here you all are chatting away!!! Glad to see everyone is excited. I welcome people doing this challenge with their own spin. If someone can figure out how to get 7 countries out of Antarctica, be my guest. Meanwhile, Oceania and S. America were challenge enough for me in obtaining books last year, so I will stick with the traditional 666 challenge format.

To answer the question about where to post, do it on this forum, since it is really about reading rather than releasing, and by all means do this in conjunction with the Around the World option. This just adds a slightly more challenging twist. By the way, if you are into maps, here is a great site we are using to map and blog our reads from the Goodreads Challenge: http://www.travellerspoint.com/ Go to the Map tab and play!

Definitely share books for this challenge--it is hard enough to get Oceania done even with sharing. I have books for Kiribati and the Bounty trilogy set to read soon, and then I'm happy to share.

And here is me, desperately trying to finish last year's 666 by the end of next year:

http://i1229.photobucket.com/---/epicreadingfail.jpg

(Can't get link to work, but you can cut and paste in browser!). Book is good, but I was really tired and didn't make it to the end of whatever chapter I was trying to finish. Hubby took this when he came to bed...
Profile Image
If someone can figure out how to get 7 countries out of Antarctica, be my guest.

I suppose you could go with the countries with territorial claims on Antarctica - New Zealand, United Kingdom, Argentina, Australia, France, Norway, and Chile.

Personally I would count it in whatever continent I was having trouble reaching my goal for - with Pacifica probably winning out.
Profile Image
Precisely why I try to stay away from heavy hardcovers at bedtime! ;-)

Will you start a new thread once the new year begins, that can be strictly for the tracking?

I'm not so sure I can mail books due to Canada's insane postage rates but I'd love if people could share authors and titles, so at least I can try to find them here (such as your Kiribati one!) Thanks
Profile Image
I'm not so sure I can mail books due to Canada's insane postage rates but I'd love if people could share authors and titles, so at least I can try to find them here (such as your Kiribati one!) Thanks

Hey jessibud! I've promised my copy of the Kiribati book to frutz already, but if you send me your address I can get Troost's other book in the mail to you. It's called Getting Stoned with Savages and takes place in both Vanuatu and Fiji, so also useful for the challenge.
Profile Image
Profile Image
In a charity shop in Johnstone, Renfrewshire (anyone who's been there will know how unlikely this is). Mario Vargas Llosa's 'Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter' - and very good it looks too. Quite a long one with very densely packed text, so I will set it aside to take on holiday (mostly cycling and walking, so space is always at a premium for a greedy reader like me!).

PS. Interrupted while typing this by the postman at the door with an Amazon package of four second hand books, all for Oceania. Roll on January 1!
Profile Image
When I was in the used bookstore the other day, this was one of the titles the owner found for me! He said it was one of the funniest books he had ever read!
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10358712/
Its' in french, so no use to me.
Being offered as a bookring.
Pmail me, if you need it for the Oceania part of the challenge.
Profile Image
I don't read French either. Well, technically, I can *read* it but not enough to understand a novel! Thanks for putting it out there though. Hopefully, someone will bite!
Profile Image
Sex Lives of Cannibals by J Maarten Troost! Look for it on Bookmooch...
Profile Image

Threads

Would people like a separate thread for tracking and reviews of books read! We could keep this for joining and obsessing about future books...
Profile Image
Would people like a separate thread for tracking and reviews of books read! We could keep this for joining and obsessing about future books...

I think so, yes. Thanks for hosting next year!
Profile Image
Good idea to separate the actual posting of books read and tracked, from general discussion, questions etc. Thanks, eparks
Profile Image
Not only do they really help with this challenge, but they're hysterical...

I'm in again..just trying to better my total for this year - I got to 16 out of 36, so if I best that in '12, I'll be pleased (and if while doing it, I get a few books off Mt. TBR, all the better!)
Profile Image
Not only do they really help with this challenge, but they're hysterical...

I could not agree more. I have Sex Lives of Cannibals and will be reading in the next couple weeks... LOVED Getting Stoned With Savages! Wait, that sounds wrong...
Profile Image
We may need to bump it occassionally until people start finishing books... http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/470098
Profile Image
Africa - 3
Asia - 6
Europe - 6
N. America - 5
S. America - 2
Oceania - 2

I didn't think S. America would be so difficult but I am sure I will find more. I have a few on my bedside table, ready to go and the rest in a lovely basket on the floor. On our marks, get set.........
Profile Image
Africa - 3
Asia - 6
Europe - 6
N. America - 5
S. America - 2
Oceania - 2

I didn't think S. America would be so difficult but I am sure I will find more. I have a few on my bedside table, ready to go and the rest in a lovely basket on the floor. On our marks, get set.........

S. America is doable, but it does seem hard to get books cheaply from there. Last year I did it with Vargas Llosa, Coelho, Allende, Borges, Garcia Marquez, and Gaetano, I think.

This and Oceania are again the ones I'm having a hard time physically getting my hands on, although I have picked the books I want to get. Maybe we should start an Oceania/S. America Bookray?
Profile Image
Oceania
Kon tiki, by Thor Heryerdahl
Sir Peter Blake
Rainbow Warrior/Greenpeace/Muraroa
World War 2, Japan/Australia/New Zealand

Antarctic
Rolald Amundsen (Norway)
Robert Falcon Scott (UK)
Sir Edmund Hillary (NZ)

Middle east
Jean Sasson

Australia
Rabbit Proof Fence (book)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (book)
A town like Alice, by Neville Shute

Cuba
Ernest Hemminway

New Zealand
Nagio Marsh
Janet Frame
Margreat Mahy
Katherine Mansfield
Witi Ihimaera
Mary & Ian Grant
Jenny Patrick
Gwen Sommerset
Rewi Alley
Barry Crump
A K Baxter
Keri Hulme

Africa
Bryce Courtney
Wilbur Smith

Profile Image
What is the general feeling about offering books to other readers. I'm thinking the cleanest way would be to mention it in my post in the 666 reading challenge and link a forum thread in the RABCK forum where I actually offer the book.

So in the 666 thread I might say

"Just read The Bone People set in New Zealand, by an NZ author. Amazing and truly worth the prizes it won. {more blurb about the book} I'm offering this as a RABCK, so if anyone here is interested please see my post in {put link to thread in RABCK forum]."

The the 666 thread doesn't get messed up a lot with people offering and accepting books, but people in the thread still know a book from a certain country is on offer should they wish to read it. Any thoughts?!?
Profile Image
that sounds like a good idea, there are several that I'd like to pass on to others doing the 666 challenge rather than wild releasing immediately.
Profile Image
What is the general feeling about offering books to other readers. I'm thinking the cleanest way would be to mention it in my post in the 666 reading challenge and link a forum thread in the RABCK forum where I actually offer the book.

So in the 666 thread I might say

"Just read The Bone People set in New Zealand, by an NZ author. Amazing and truly worth the prizes it won. {more blurb about the book} I'm offering this as a RABCK, so if anyone here is interested please see my post in {put link to thread in RABCK forum]."

The the 666 thread doesn't get messed up a lot with people offering and accepting books, but people in the thread still know a book from a certain country is on offer should they wish to read it. Any thoughts?!?

Kiwi, I think this is a great idea, and people who aren't interested in offering and getting books but are just interested in reading the reviews of the books as people read them can ignore this whole thread and just go to that one...
Profile Image

Kiwi - I think you were the one that took me up on the offer in last year's 666 challenge - and there are a few of eparks' Oceania books still floating around Europe. I offer them in the rabck forum AND mention when I post them what country they're good for the in 666 challenge. One for Haiti is going out shortly from last year's challenge.
Profile Image
Kiwi - I think you were the one that took me up on the offer in last year's 666 challenge

yes indeed, and they were much appreciated. As I read them I am offering them to others. One book has goes through another person in Europe and is now heading to Australia.

I will definately keep the other books moving.

I really enjoy this challenge and the different stories you can read.
Profile Image
Have some books available, will make as avail.
Will all be registered, by Wednesday.
Please pmail.
Profile Image
I live in New Zealand.
If someone needs help with the Oceania/New Zealand part, please pmail me. Just mention the 666 challenge.
Can be anytime during the year.
( I'm not participating)
Profile Image
Iiwi, Good question. I will generate one and post it both here and in the books read thread. This is my first time trying to host anything, so all these questions help me a lot!!!

Meanwhile, is everyone having fun with their first read? I'm in Trinidad (well the author is from there, but the book is somewhere in Central to East Africa..., but I'm counting it as Trinidad). Oh, and I decided to cook something for each place I go, so yesterday we had some yummy coconut rice with our stirfry and seared tofu. This should be interesting in Kirbati, my next stop, where the book is Sex Lives of Cannibals...
Profile Image
and why big box factories will never replace them

My favourite local used book store is run by one guy. It's a tiny shop, floor-to-ceiling shelves with barely an inch to turn around between the aisles. Piles of books to be shelved line every available inch of floor. But Al knows every book in the place and where to find it. (His mom ran the shop before him until she passed away several years ago. She used to take a list from me, and as books on my list came in, she'd put them aside for me!)

Anyhow, I walked in today with my list and explained the challenge to him. In the space of 15 minutes, he had filled in 8 spots for me with books, some of which I had never heard of. I still need a few more for Oceania and one more for S. America but other than that, I am all set!

One question: where does Tahiti fall in? I printed out that list from the World Atlas site but can't find Tahiti on it! I thought it would be with Oceania but unless I'm missing it, I don't see it. Anyhow, I do now have a book set in Tahiti and am looking forward to starting! I'm going to slot it in there anyhow!
Profile Image
One question: where does Tahiti fall in?

Tahiti belongs to French Polynesia.
Profile Image
on the "sister" thread, the "Books read" thread. Sounds like a fun challenge, but I can't participate this year Maybe next year!

Anyway I wanted to suggest a book by John Grisham that was set in South America. A lawyer is on a dangerous mission down the tributaries of the Amazon to find an heiress to a fortune, who is a missionary to a tribe in Brazil.
http://www.goodreads.com/---/5348.The_Testament

I've read it, and enjoyed it thoroughly, but I no longer have it.

Speaking of Amazon, I don't suppose any book bought from Amazon would qualify for South America -- ;-) !
Profile Image
"I don't suppose any book bought from Amazon would qualify for South America -- ;-) !"

:-D
Profile Image
I'll definitely be in for this but can't start for about 3 weeks as I'll be away from home and this whole concept is much to complicated to think about while on holiday.
Profile Image
Most pages in a continent, the continent where you have the least books of, flip a coin, do you let it count for all continents it's set in?
Profile Image
Most pages in a continent, the continent where you have the least books of, flip a coin, do you let it count for all continents it's set in?

For me it depends on the countries involved and how easily I think I can read another book set in that country.

I think I would personally set a limit of at least one third of the book being set in a specific country to qualify (it's aribtrary, but I'd feel like I was cheating if I counted a book that only had a few pages set in a certain country). Then if I still had a choice of possible countries I'd chose the one I was least likely to be able to cover with another book. So if the book was split between the USA and Yemen, I'd pick Yemen.

And I definately wouldn't count one book for more than one country, even if it was a set of short stories based in various countries. I'd pick on country.
Profile Image
Or maybe if the author is from one continent and some of the book is set there, count it as where author is from? Really on this, it is up to you. Sometimes I am going with author nationality even if book is set elsewhere.

And I'm amused that Antarctica is just NOT going away! :-)
Profile Image
I'm reading one at the moment like that - it's mostly (80%) set in Canada, but it's all about the experience of an Indian immigrant and of the Indian community in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and it's by an Indian author, so I think I'll count it for India. It's a good book, incidentally!

And I've just taken delivery of An African in Greenland (http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/10374798/) which intrigued me so much on Amazon that I bought it secondhand with this challenge in mind.
Profile Image
Putting Kiribati book: The Sex Lives of Cannibals on the RABCK thread. Don't all eat each other to get it, we can share...
Profile Image
intrigues me.I don't suppose I'll get through all 36. I don't read fast enough and way too much of my reading is off world,on Mars,or Yellowstone (a colony planet,not the park;) beyond the Aquila rift or the voids between the stars.But it's inspired me to keep track of where my books take me and it'll be fun to see how far I can get.(Though I think Oceania might stump me a bit).I figure it's a bit like a test run,see how far I can do.I certainly look forward to keeping an eye on the reviews of everyone's books,I often hear of books I fancy the sound of on Booktalk.
Profile Image
moved Sex Lives of Cannibals to a bookray. Feel free to add yourself. Also now adding The Bounty Trilogy (contains 3 separate books in one volume, a Tahiti, a Pitcairn Island, and something else--haven't read the section, but they are definitely in S. Pacific for some of it). Look for it in the bookray section.
Profile Image
Pitcairn is British dependency, I think?
They had recent history scandals.
It went to British court, but the High cominsioner was a lawyer in Auckland.
There was technically problems with the starting of the case. I don't think England had ever formally, taken legal claim to the Pitcairns.
Profile Image
Yes, I think Pitcairn is part of the Commonwealth somehow, and there was a horrible child sex scandal, I believe, maybe 5 -10 years ago involving men from Pitcairn and elsewhere.
Profile Image

Pitcain

Yes, that was what I was refering to.
New Zealand newspapers did quite well out of it, because we are, in someways, the easiest place for the UK government to work from.
There was talk about having the trail, based in New Zealand, with UK law.
I think there is a large group of Pitcarn, living the UK, on British passport.
The other other odd thing that came out, was the Pitcarn had never had a court system or cases, as such.
The UK goverment had to check historic records, to see if they could use British laws, as they weren't sure of the Goverence.
On Wikipedia, they use NZ teachers and education system.
Profile Image
Weirdest thing about my blogging about Pitcairn was discovering once I posted that my best friend's grandparents got obsessed with the place and had visited!
Profile Image
Brilliant book, I've still got about 20 pages to go (isn't it annoying when you have to get off the bus *just* before you finish a book!)

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/470799
Profile Image
Despite saying on the 1/1/2012 that I couldn't start for a few weeks I found that being on holiday didn't stop me reading, in fact a read a number of books some of which will be able to be counted in 666 challenge. Deciding where to put them though is harder than I thought and now I see what a great challenge this really is. I'll be posting the ones I can include onto the other thread shortly. Thanks for really stimulating my thoughts.
Profile Image
A Middle East author is Jean Sasson.
A list of her books and location is on wikipedia.
Profile Image

atlas site

Sherlockfan, eparks posted a link to a great atlas site that lists the continents and countries in each, in the initial post of this thread. There are a few countries missing but it shouldn't be difficult to figure them out (Tahiti, for example, doesn't appear on that list but I think we've agreed, that as part of Polynesia, it belongs to the Oceania group).

Great to have you aboard!
Profile Image
Or do you pick books especially for this challenge? I see myself picking all kinds of books from case-to-be-read and reading blurbs to see what book would give me a good inside on the country selected.
Profile Image
a mixture in my case... some books (especially the 'easier' countries like Europe, the US and some Asian countries) I already had on my TBR shelves. I keep an eye out for books from the more tricky continents when I'm in charity shops, especially our large Oxfam bookshop in the student part of town, which has offered up a good range of African and other international literature. And for the really tricky ones, like Oceania, I've used http://www.bookssetin.com/, which is fantastic, and then bought second hand online. I wouldn't say I've bought any more books than I usually do though, I've just been more selective in what I buy!
Profile Image
Or do you pick books especially for this challenge?

At the beginning it's quite easy to just read what you would normally read (as long as it's not science fiction or fantasy), so my first two or three books are whatever I chose.

Now I'm making a more concerted effort to pick stories from my TBR that are in unusually countries. I find as the year progresses I can participate less and less in the challenge as ring/ray books often aren't set in a country I need.

Passing books around the group is good, as then you can read some without paying more than the postage. I've passed a few on already, and last year got some that had passed through the shelves of eparks4232 and NancyNova.
Profile Image
Was prompted by jessibud to look at this challenge, looks great, will drop in from time to time to see what everyone is reading, if it continues next year I may be tempted to join in.
Profile Image
Right now I'm reading The Thorn Birds, set in Australia. Is that part of Oceania? I've read two set in North America, both in the U.S.

I'm not committing myself to the challenge, but any books from "faraway places" that I do read, I will count!
Profile Image
very first post in this thread, eparks has a link to an atlas site. Click on that and you will see a list of the continents and their countries (Tahiti is missing, as I discovered but it, too, falls in the Oceania group). Welcome abouard! ;-)
Profile Image
Welcome to the challenge! It's a great one for getting your 'blue cheese' in Trivial Pursuits - I am halfway through a book set in Penang, and I had to google for that one - it's in Malaysia.
Profile Image
Have picked up another couple of books.

1 x Siberia
1 x Moscow/Berlin
1 x New Zealand

All listed as Avail, on my books shelf.

Pmail me, if you like one.
Profile Image

Links?

I occassionally want to find out more on the books others are reading. A link to their BCID would be very helpful in posts. Thanks.
Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10418981/

Based in the Canterbury plains, in 1907.

Bookray

1 2 Next 

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.