corner corner To Kill a Mockingbird... what do you think?

Forum | << Book Talk | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

To Kill a Mockingbird... what do you think?

Hello everyone! I'm doing a project on To Kill a Mockingbird for my Writing Literary Criticism course and would love to hear what you have to say about it. (I'd like to use your ideas on my academic blog-- http://alymarierutter.blogspot.com. Let me know if you're alright with that.)

Here are some questions to get you started (don't feel like you have to answer all of them!):
Why do you think this text is important? Or do you think it's important?
When was the last time you read it?
Do you remember the first time you read it?
How many times have you read it?
What were your assumptions of the book before reading it and what were your thoughts after reading it?
What were your first impressions?
If you've read it more than once, do you feel like it stands up to multiple readings?
Do you think this book deserves to continue to be taught in schools? Why or why not?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hello everyone! I'm doing a project on To Kill a Mockingbird for my Writing Literary Criticism course and would love to hear what you have to say about it. (I'd like to use your ideas on my academic blog-- http://alymarierutter.blogspot.com. Let me know if you're alright with that.)

Here are some questions to get you started (don't feel like you have to answer all of them!):
Why do you think this text is important? Or do you think it's important?
When was the last time you read it?
Do you remember the first time you read it?
How many times have you read it?
What were your assumptions of the book before reading it and what were your thoughts after reading it?
What were your first impressions?
If you've read it more than once, do you feel like it stands up to multiple readings?
Do you think this book deserves to continue to be taught in schools? Why or why not?
Profile Image

Answers

One of my favorite books and I'd love to answer your questions.
I think it is important to remember that prejudice is often based on ignorance and unfamiliarity.
I first read it in junior high and just reread for my book club and have read it multiple times in between.
Before I read it I know very little about small towns in the south so didn't have any assumptions, I was just ignorant.
I definitley think it needs to be taught in schools, we need to remember history, not repeat it.
Do you mind if I use your questions for our book club discussion?
Profile Image
Please do! Thanks so much for your answers... And if your book group would be willing to record their answers, I would really appreciate their insight also!
Profile Image
You picked a terrific book to do your project on. In fact, it is my favorite book of all time.

Why do you think this text is important? Or do you think it's important? - This book is substantially more than a coming of age tale. It has so many themes, chief among them: kindness, racism, understanding, forgiveness, acceptance, service, etc.

When was the last time you read it? - 2007

Do you remember the first time you read it? - 1963

How many times have you read it? - Twice

What were your assumptions of the book before reading it and what were your thoughts after reading it? - None before reading it, but I was totally blown away after reading it by the wonderful writing, that it was narrated by a little girl, and by the many wonderful themes. I thought about it for a long time afterward and it constantly comes to mind for me.

What were your first impressions? - see above.

If you've read it more than once, do you feel like it stands up to multiple readings? - Definitely. Though I've only read it twice, I read it with totally new eyes 40 years later. One of the things that struck me on the second reading was how brave both the author and publisher were to have published that book when it they did - at the height of the Civil Rights movement.

Do you think this book deserves to continue to be taught in schools? Why or why not? - Yes, for all the above reasons.
Profile Image
Thank you for your willingness to answer! I really appreciate your feedback!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.