corner corner Food expiry dates

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Food expiry dates

There has been discussion here in the past and I just stumbled upon this link, so sharing it.
https://brightside.me/---/10-food-products-that-have-no-expiration-date-461360

Then I went looking and found these comments: http://healthland.time.com/---/is-your-food-expired-dont-be-so-quick-to-toss-it

https://globalnews.ca/---/best-before-dates-lead-to-waste-by-consumers

I wonder sometimes if some expiry dates might be so some people will throw out still good food (adding to the huge waste of food) and go and buy replacement food. Extra profits for business.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
There has been discussion here in the past and I just stumbled upon this link, so sharing it.
https://brightside.me/---/10-food-products-that-have-no-expiration-date-461360/

Then I went looking and found these comments: http://healthland.time.com/---/is-your-food-expired-dont-be-so-quick-to-toss-it/

https://globalnews.ca/---/best-before-dates-lead-to-waste-by-consumers/

I wonder sometimes if some expiry dates might be so some people will throw out still good food (adding to the huge waste of food) and go and buy replacement food. Extra profits for business.
Profile Image

that's what I think. A Global2000-group here in Austria made (and is still on it) a long-term-test with different foods. They checked how long over the best-before-date those foods were still perfectly fine. First to go - as expected - were meat and saussages etc. - cheese lasted weeks and months longer, and yoghurt now stands at 7 months and still good.

It is totally weird that they put an expiry date on salt as this has been around for ages.
Profile Image
It is totally weird that they put an expiry date on salt as this has been around for ages.

Sort of supports the theory that the companies want to sell more salt to vulnerable people.

Dried kidney beans (and other beans) were mentioned as being okay after 30 years. Good, because I have been eating dried broad beans, which I dried and stored YEARS ago. As mentioned they have changed their appearance, getting much darker, but they are still okay to eat, and viable to plant too, as I planted some this season and had a good crop. I don't plan to keep them for 30 years though. I had other old beans too, but now eaten. I had to throw some out, as they got weevils. (Although that might not mean the beans were bad; only I couldn't stomach the thought of eating beans with weevils in them. As a child, living in a hotter climate, I would sometimes be served cooked macaroni with weevils. I would complain, but be told not to be silly; they won't hurt me. Must have toughened me up though, as years later I was served a very nice vegetable soup in a cafe and it had weevils. The cafe and workers there appeared clean, the weevils were well cooked, so I just extracted them and lined them up along the plate edge. I found it humorous to hand the empty soup bowl back and say, "Nice soup, but I would do something about your weevil problem." )
Profile Image
Some of the dates are "best used by", not "expired by" - and it's certainly true that many items will last (and will still taste pretty good) long after the best-used-by dates. I would expect that there'd be some loss of nutritional value in things like dried beans or grains, and I have found that very old dried beans take longer to cook. I've also found that if I leave products like grits or corn meal in the freezer for too long, they pick up an off flavor. I put them in there because they tend to acquire pantry moths if I leave 'em in the cupboards. But I suppose that better packaging would help with that - as would better inventory-control; I do want to get to where I'm using things up at a respectable rate and not leaving items to linger for decades!

Re weevils: yipe! I know it was common in old seafaring days to have to knock the weevils out of the biscuits (or to just accept them as bonus protein), but I don't think I could have been that chill about finding them in restaurant food. Love the image of them lined up on the plate!
Profile Image
[I wonder sometimes if some expiry dates might be so some people will throw out still good food (adding to the huge waste of food) and go and buy replacement food. Extra profits for business.
I think this happens, but it is not the purpose of food expiry dates, and don't think businesses claim earlier food expiry dates to get people to throw food out and buy new.
Profile Image
Businesses are also hedging their bets with best before dates. If they put a short date on it, and some once-in-a-hundred-years occurrence happens that makes the food either outright bad, or even just taste 'off', then they are not responsible. "you can't blame us! We told you to eat those beans within two months!"
Profile Image
Martin Lewis has been going on about this on his show because people are throwing away perfectly good food and he tries to save people money. Viewers phoned in with the oldest best before dates on food they had so he collected some of them and ate them on the show. Most were OK but he didn't even try the shortbread with a best before 1995 date because it smelled so bad.
Profile Image
because it smelled so bad

Good reason to give that a miss :)

I go on smell, and looks, and if a tin has a swollen look, or the jar's lid is rounded up, the product is off. Actually, I have never had a tin swell or jar lid swell, but if I do it's going. One thing I don't take risks with is meat and fish. I will use milk on my cereal when it is just starting to turn, but worse than that I tip it out. I have never given myself food poisoning, although I once had that in a restaurant.
Imagine the thousands of dollars some people waste, throwing out good food religiously because of a date on it, when the food is not bad. It's sad really. It's also sad for the environment, with the food needing to be grown, transported and then it is dumped wastefully.
Profile Image
because it smelled so bad

Good reason to give that a miss :)

The point I was trying to make was that he had to go back to a best before date of 1995 to find a foodstuff he refused to touch. That's more than 20 years! I've heard about tinned food that has lasted longer than that. And as far as I am aware none of the other food caused any problem. It's all about common sense, your senses will tell you all you need to know.
Profile Image
I imagine the butter would go rancid. That would certainly make a bad smell.
Profile Image
I pretty much agree with Goldenwattle. When I was younger, there were no expiration dates on foods. You had to rely on common sense. None of us in our family have ever had food poisoning.
Profile Image
I wonder sometimes if some expiry dates might be so some people will throw out still good food (adding to the huge waste of food) and go and buy replacement food.

What I've heard is that the manufacturer doesn't want you to eat the food after the expiry date and judge the quality by that. IOW, they're no longer proud of the food at that point. If it tastes good to you, go for it!
Profile Image
I had packet dried soup last night, best before 2015. Tasted 'ordinary' then and no worse last night. Still 'ordinary'. VERY 'ordinary'!
Profile Image
I bought a litre of milk in November, with best before date around November 28. I didn't use it all, and it was still in my refrigerator in the beginning of January. I smelled it and tasted it, and it was perfectly good!

Both the companies produsing and selling milk in Norway have "best before but not bad after" on their products now.
And one of the companies did a blind test of milk, and published a video of it. First the test persons got 3 glasses of milk. One fresh (not past the best before date), one 3 days past best before date and one 5 days past the best before date. Each glass was marked with a random number, and the testers didn't know which milk was fresh and which was least fresh. They were asked to tell which one was the freshest and which had passed the best before date. They made mistakes and couldn't really figure out the right answer. Then they got another test. They got 3 new glasses with milk, and they were told the best before dates. And they were asked to tell which milk was the best. They typically said that the freshest milk was best. But after that taste test, they were told "We lied to you. The milk we said was fresh had the best before date 5 days ago! And the milk that we claimed had passed the best before date 5 days ago was the freshest!" So we can certainly be tricked by the information we get.

I can perfectly well buy products that has best before date the same day. Especially when the grocery stores sell them with 30-50% discount to get rid of it. It still taste good, and it's better to eat it that throwing it away!
Profile Image
http://www.thehistoryblog.com/---/50896

At least our main worries about expired food have to do with inconvenience and potential waste, rather than outright survival!
Profile Image
"Texas A&M University nautical archaeologist Grace Tsai has crafted an experiment to find out what really happened to the unrefrigerated supplies during transatlantic voyages."

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/---/50896
Profile Image
I boarded several months on a farm once. I can now milk cows (helped with the milking most afternoons), but that's another story :)
As a side line from the main business of dairy farming the farm also would put in a crop of potatoes, as it was in a potato growing area. The farm stored and ate its own potatoes. I arrived as the last of the previous years stored potatoes were being used. Much/most of the potatoes had gone black, so large black sections of the potatoes were being cut off, before the small non black sections were used for cooking. Fortunately a few days later the new crop came in and all the old potatoes were chucked. That's how it used to be.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.