corner corner It's been quite the stormy day here!

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

It's been quite the stormy day here!

"Here" means southeastern Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia. It started calmly with rain, then the promised wind began, and it turned to snow. Horizontal snow! I keep hearing of more and more trees down in the area, sections with power outages, the works. My husband just went out for pizza at one of the local places, and it was hopping!

Are you experiencing storminess today?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
"Here" means southeastern Pennsylvania, near Philadelphia. It started calmly with rain, then the promised wind began, and it turned to snow. Horizontal snow! I keep hearing of more and more trees down in the area, sections with power outages, the works. My husband just went out for pizza at one of the local places, and it was hopping!

Are you experiencing storminess today?
Profile Image
Very rainy in southern NH, with gusty winds. Not too bad where I am, but the NH and MA coastlines have taken a beating, and there's a lot of flooding, downed trees and powerlines, and general mayhem throughout southeastern New England. (I got to enjoy the "sip cocoa while cat twitches in sleep on my lap as rain beats down outside" version of the storm, much more pleasant than the "tree landed on the roof"/"had to be evacuated by the National Guard" versions...)
Profile Image
I had to be out and about during much of it. Pretty exciting stuff!
Profile Image
Horizontal snow! Wow. We have seen the footage of the cold fronts all over Europe and the States, amazing weather.

Still warm in Canberra, although we are in Autumn now. Will be nice when the trees start to change.
Profile Image
Will be nice when the trees start to change.

Then soon after that the tip truck, bob cat and workers will arrive to sweep up the leaves and take them away on the truck. WAY beyond a normal street sweeper when one's street is lined with oak trees. Unfortunately oak trees (or at least the variety in my street) don't turn a nice colour, just gradually turn and drop brown leaves.
My parents used to live a street with lovely yellow autumn leaves and masses of dropped coloured leaves. That was pretty.
Profile Image
I have been concerned about you all in these alarming, weather induced times. What are you calling it in The States? Europe has The Beast From The East? Climate change is a FACT. My part of Australia has had a protracted heatwave then very unusual heavy rainfalls - very heavy. I must say it worries me. Cheers to you all.
Profile Image
Europe has The Beast From The East

And the UK's troubles increased when The Beast from the East met Storm Emma . . . . a marriage made in hell . . . .
Profile Image
At any rate, my county in Pennsylvania was quite hard hit - lots of trees down, and of course they landed on wires and cars and blocked streets. Even now, Sunday, there are areas where they are still working to restore power. We drove a friend home last night from a church event, and there were quite a few detours for these reasons.
https://www.npr.org/---/bomb-cyclone-brings-wind-flooding-and-snow-to-northeast-killing-several
Profile Image
...though things can change pretty quickly. I'm stocked up for a nice day indoors tomorrow, watching the snow fall - just hope the power doesn't go out!
Profile Image
just hope the power doesn't go out!

Do you have a wood stove you can use for heating and cooking; for emergencies?
Profile Image
Do you have a wood stove you can use for heating and cooking; for emergencies?

No, but I have a gas stove, which will work even when the power's out. (The furnace won't, but it isn't supposed to be all that cold - not as bad as the few days I spent at New Year's with no furnace and outside temps well below freezing!)
Profile Image
...from yesterday afternoon to mid-morning today. Really impressive to see how it covered the trees, looking like swathes of heavy frosting; scary to see how far the trees bent under the weight! I didn't lose power, but lots of people did, and there have been a number of road blockages due to downed trees and power lines - including some on interstate highways...

I did lose internet (and phone and cable) for much of the morning; seems to be back now, fingers crossed. And my mailbox disappeared! That is, it apparently got knocked over by the weight of the snow during street plowing operations, and got covered by the plow-ridge; I was able to dig it out and prop it up, but will need to replace the post once the ground's clear again.

Hope everyone else in bad-weather areas is doing OK!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.