corner corner Is really no one watching the olympics?

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Is really no one watching the olympics?

Like no one?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Like no one?
Profile Image
I posted about it here ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/9075521 ), and will be watching more. Loved parts of the opening ceremony, including the little kids walking through virtual doorways into their adult futures - and, yes, the shirtless flag-bearer for Tonga, Pita Taufatofua ( https://en.wikipedia.org/---/Pita_Taufatofua ), and I get a kick out of the extreme snowboarding and ski-stunt events. (I have lost track of what they're all called, but whenever I check the different channels to see what's on and spot somebody somersaulting through the air while still attached to skis or board I have to stop and watch!) Also love the ice skating events. And the luge, bobsled, and skeleton.
Profile Image
I am a speed skater of course, Katie Couric knows. It took a while, but I start to understand the fun in short track as well. I can't see any figure skating, so will have the do with Torvill and Dean memories.
Profile Image
Why can't you see any figure skating? I have to say, my Canadians have done especially well. I also loved Torvill and Dean, as well as others from their era, but our current champs, Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir, have been world champs and have now won gold as well. Their dances this Olympics were just stunning to watch. Surely you could find it online if your local tv stations aren't broadcasting it.

I really used to love Shae-Lynn Bourne and Victor Kratz, who were so innovative and talented, back in their day
Profile Image
My godmother skated in the 1948 Olympics in St. Moritz, Switzerland. She was Canadian champ in 1947. Me? I can't skate to save my life. Flat feet. I hope she wasn't disappointed!
Profile Image
I actually never do. I don't have a television, but I could, as jessibud says, watch things online. I've never gotten into the habit though; I think partly because so much of what I DO hear is so often terribly nationalistic, which drives me crazy. I don't care which nation's athletes win however many medals.
Profile Image

Not I.

I'm not into sports generally, and the jingoist attitude of U.S. broadcasters irritates the heck out of me.

But I did hear an interesting segment on NPR this morning about the sexist coverage of the women's events. Yet another reason to avoid it. (You can find it here if you're interested: https://www.wnyc.org/---/the-takeaway-2018-02-13 )
Profile Image

RE: Not I.

But I did hear an interesting segment on NPR this morning about the sexist coverage of the women's events. Yet another reason to avoid it. (You can find it here if you're interested: https://www.wnyc.org/---/the-takeaway-2018-02-13 )

That's Chloe Kim, isn't it?
This is true, for instance a lot of times a man is called the winner of the most medals in a sport, while a woman in fact is. And in every womens event a commentator makes a fashion statement about nails, or clothes or something. That said I do think that in the end women are valued for there sporting achievement, the training they have to do, the focus, the stamina, willpower and so on. Dutch speed skater Ireen Wust got as much attention as her male counterpart and was valued for her 10 (!) olympic medals, in a statistic where she only has Michael Phelps and Carl Lewis in front of her.
Profile Image
That's Chloe Kim, isn't it?

She was mentioned in the segment, along with other athletes and coverage in general.
Profile Image
But not me. I don't watch TV. Not even online. :-)
Profile Image
My hubby has watched alpine skiing and cross country skiing events.
Profile Image
I never do. Sometimes I might watch the opening and closing ceremonies, but only if I have nothing else to do. Haven't watched this one's.
Profile Image
I'm not sure why, but the Olympic Games and Commonwealth Games have lost their shine to me as I've gotten older. I think it's because it's become so political and less about the athletic ability.
Profile Image
I've been watching it when I have time. I love the winter Olympics even more now that I live in Florida and never get to see snow. I was so glad to see Sean White win gold tonight. He was overwhelmed with emotion when he won.
Profile Image
was so glad to see Sean White win gold tonight.

I am sure you were, as you are American, but as this is an international forum I am sure there are some people who were very disappointed that Sean White won.

I say congratulations to all the winners, no matter what country they come from.
Profile Image
I was really happy for him. I got misty-eyed when he got teary after that last run. I think he's a neat guy.
Profile Image
I think a big part of Shaun's win, is that he is the "old man" of the sport. At 31, most of these guys are long gone from this kind of competition. He was competing against boys half his age. (And has come back from countless injuries) I am sure this was his last Olympics.
Profile Image
was so glad to see Sean White win gold tonight.

I am sure you were, as you are American, but as this is an international forum I am sure there are some people who were very disappointed that Sean White won.

I say congratulations to all the winners, no matter what country they come from.

I would have been happy for Sean White no matter what country he came from. The fact that he's from America and I'm from America has nothing to do with it. Just as you, I'm happy for all the winners.
Profile Image
I don't usually follow the sport, so I never know who's a favorite and who isn't - though the US-station commentators did make an awful fuss over Shaun {wry grin} - but I enjoy the amazing moves, and in this case it was such a close finish it was all the more dramatic. (I was relieved to hear that poor Yuto Totsuka wasn't seriously injured in his fall; it takes a crash like that to emphasize just how extreme that sport is.)

And I love it when the competitors all congratulate each other; they know more than anyone what it takes to perform like that!
Profile Image
I am a house sitter and my hosts dont have pay TV.
I would be if it was on free to air.
Profile Image
'Didn't pay much attention at first, but we watched some last night, and enjoyed skiing, snowboarding (ouch!), curling and figure skating. There is this big controversy over Kim Boutin, a Canadian who got a bronze medal in speed skating after a Korean skater was disqualified. Boutin has even had death threats. My question is....does anybody know the rules of speed skating? When I looked at slow-motion footage and close-up photos, it looked like Boutin was pushing the Korean just as much as being pushed.
Profile Image
'Didn't pay much attention at first, but we watched some last night, and enjoyed skiing, snowboarding (ouch!), curling and figure skating. There is this big controversy over Kim Boutin, a Canadian who got a bronze medal in speed skating after a Korean skater was disqualified. Boutin has even had death threats. My question is....does anybody know the rules of speed skating? When I looked at slow-motion footage and close-up photos, it looked like Boutin was pushing the Korean just as much as being pushed.

I have seen this race. This was a short track final. The rule is that you can block someone passing you inside or outside till your opponent is beside you. If you block someone who is beside you, there is nothing that rider can do to prevent a collision. Someone who is passing is not allowed to push to make the room to pass.
In this case Kim Boutin saw room on the inside to pass. The jury looked at this and agreed that room was there, so she wasn't at fault. Choi, the Korean skater blocked her with her shoulder and arm, and the jury concluded she did this while Kim Boutin was all ready next to her, and so she was disqualified. In this case it was a difficult decision, maybe in another race with another jury they would have concluded no one was at fault and it was a race incident.
In any case, making threads at one of the riders is just brainless.
Profile Image
Thanks for the clarification on the rules, iiwi.
Profile Image

Not me

Being in the UK I'm in bed during most of it then in work while the rest is on. Not all that interested, anyway, tbh.
Profile Image
I watched the pairs figure skating last night, and it was fantastic! I missed the ice dance, but I plan to watch the other figure skating competitions.
Profile Image
I admit to a fondness for Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu, who won gold in the last Winter Olympics - but I just saw South Korea's Cha Jun-hwan skate, and was very impressed. (Both are coached by Brian Orser, so that may explain why there are similarities in style that I liked.) Am hoping Adam Rippon has a great skate, too.
Profile Image
Not interested at all.
Profile Image
...and I have a new favorite: Spain's Javier Fernández, who did a Charlie-Chaplin/silent-movie routine that was delightful!

I do get weary of the emphasis on the quad jumps, even though it's awesome when people get them right; I prefer tight routines with lots of intricate spins and footwork. Hanyu and Fernández and Rippon also showed serious command - every movement, from skating to hands to facial expressions, belonged to the routines. Really enjoyable - and I'm looking forward to the long programs.
Profile Image
I was just watching a replay of some of the routines, via the Quebec channel; Patrick Chan's short program, to Kansas' "Dust in the Wind", was quite lovely but he did have a major fall at one point, and I distinctly heard the woman commentator exclaim "Zut!" when he hit the ice. (I bet he was thinking the same thing!) I gather that it's pretty mild as expletives go - more of a "darn" than a "damn" - but back when I was first learning French it was right up there with the not-nice words. Which is probably why I remember it!
Profile Image
But I am bothered by a couple of related issues.

One is that the idea of the Olympics as *amateur* sport completely disappeared long ago. We've gone from having your picture on a Wheaties box to having players from professional sports teams in the Games.

As a result, athletes' bodies are trained to be grossly distorted to suit the sport and athletes are encouraged to play injured. Eating disorders are rampant. I gave up on women's gymnastics long ago because of that. The "we don't care about the person, we care about winning" attitude on the part of the sports governing bodies is why Larry Nassar got a pass for so long.

It's disgusting.
Profile Image
One bright spot: No NHL hockey players for 2018 Olympics. That's a good thing and I hope it continues to be the policy. Let the amateurs shine. If they win a medal, it will contribute to their (meagre) earnings. I know that in Canada, the avg. income of an Olympic athlete is $25,000/year (Cdn.). In the past, beefed-up, overpaid NHL'ers would just add more endorsements/line their pockets after winning a medal. Hooray for true amateurs.
Profile Image
Oh, I can't deny the abuses - indeed, so many competitions that should be fun and accessible turn into mad races for cash, with heavy influence from parents, trainers, sponsors, and more. (I don't even want to mention some of the college-athletics scandals.) But I see many athletes who love what they do, and I'd hate to miss their performances because the industry is flawed...

I am reminded of the fascinating book The Boys in the Boat ( https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14020858/ ), about the US 1936 rowing team; the contrast between their grass-roots self-funding efforts and modern sponsorship was quite dramatic.
Profile Image
I was delighted that Yuzuru Hanyu won gold, and that it was such a close contest - his compatriot Shoma Uno won silver with a beautiful performance, and Javier Fernández got bronze with a marvelous Man of La Mancha-themed routine. And Nathan Chen, who had a really bad short program and looked to be out of reach of the top three, did an amazing free skate that put him 5th. Adam Rippon only made 10th, but his performance was very entertaining, and Patrick Chan's farewell performance earned him 9th spot.

Overall, I still don't find the emphasis on quad jumps very pleasing; only a few could fit them into a routine while giving equal attention to the (to me, more impressive) spins and footwork. But I thoroughly enjoyed the event anyway, and was happy with the results.
Profile Image
Another event that entertained me, this one's a mix of fast skiing and intricate jumps, all done on short skis, and frequently involving going downhill backwards! It involves things like hopping onto icy rails, doing aerial acrobats, etc. - and somehow it seems harder to do on skis, even the short ones, than on snowboards, though that's quite challenging enough. Very lively to watch, and the competitors (who take a lot of falls in the process of their best-of-three runs) are amazingly tough.
Profile Image
I've seen a pretty good variety of the events so far, in part because it's something my wife and I both like to watch (she particularly likes figure skating). But nothing's happened so far that I've felt so strongly about that I wishes to discuss with anyone. It's early on, too.
Profile Image
That Ski Cross is insane !!!!!!!
Profile Image
Two young athletes (both 16) won bronze medals on Thursday doing insane things on the snow.

One in the big air snowboarding, and the other in half pipe skiing. (I don't actually know what those categories mean, but they were impressive to watch!)
Profile Image
Two young athletes (both 16) won bronze medals on Thursday doing insane things on the snow.

Ah yes, the "insane things on the snow" events! I enjoy watching those, and marvel at the many different ways people have found of playing with friction and gravity {wry grin}.
Profile Image
doing insane things on the snow.
One in the big air snowboarding,

Yes, I was watching some big air last night! Mind-blowing!!!
Profile Image
There will be the figure skating gala, a chance to see some of the top skaters in a non-competitive light. And right now the 4-man bobsled event's being aired - that one always tickles me, because seeing four muscular men tucking themselves into invisibility in a tiny bobsled always looks like they've performed a very clever magic trick. Or else that they're really Power Rangers turning into Transformers!
Profile Image
the supplier of the snacks they were eating during the game had to stop orders, because he couldn't keep up with the demand, and there are made curling t-shirts (with cats curling).
Profile Image
there are made curling t-shirts (with cats curling).

My cats do a lot of curling - curling up on the bed, or my book, or in a patch of sunlight. For "athletics", they are more the wrestling type, or track and field (particularly dashes down the hallway).
Profile Image
I enjoy seeing the skaters doing routines that aren't being scored, and some of them really let the personality shine through. While Hanyu's always stunning to watch, my favorite routines here included the comedic exercise/Flashdance/superhero routine ofJavier Fernandez, and the brooding-girl-in-leather-pants-and-hoodie of Evgenia Medvedeva. Oh, and Shoma Uno, who won the men's silver medal.

And some of the pairs had lovely routines - though I admit I enjoy the impressive lifts, carries and throws as much or more than the musical interludes; holding an adult overhead on one arm while twirling gracefully in circles? Whoa!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.