corner corner Today's alarm clock really sucked.

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Today's alarm clock really sucked.

There I was trying to sleep in for a change, and then: https://www.npr.org/---/this-is-not-a-drill-a-false-ballistic-missile-alert-shakes-hawaii

If I hadn't been at home, with family, I probably would have freaked out more, but when the alert says we only have A FEW MINUTES and to stay indoors away from windows, there's no point in trying to go to a shelter, and there's not much to be done except hope that the message is wrong somehow. Since the civil defense sirens didn't go off I was really hoping...

Before this morning, the biggest local news (on Oahu anyway) might have been the Diana Ross concert on Friday night...or maybe the Titans game (if they had defied the odds and won). Now all the reporters are working on a brand new story. :s

Complete Thread

Profile Image
There I was trying to sleep in for a change, and then: https://www.npr.org/---/this-is-not-a-drill-a-false-ballistic-missile-alert-shakes-hawaii

If I hadn't been at home, with family, I probably would have freaked out more, but when the alert says we only have A FEW MINUTES and to stay indoors away from windows, there's no point in trying to go to a shelter, and there's not much to be done except hope that the message is wrong somehow. Since the civil defense sirens didn't go off I was really hoping...

Before this morning, the biggest local news (on Oahu anyway) might have been the Diana Ross concert on Friday night...or maybe the Titans game (if they had defied the odds and won). Now all the reporters are working on a brand new story. :s
Profile Image
Good heavens! I hadn't heard about that. Would definitely have awakened me, I bet!
Profile Image
Good heavens! I hadn't heard about that. Would definitely have awakened me, I bet!

Oddly enough, apparently only *some* phones, etc. got the alert, but it was on the radio & TV as well. IMMINENT missile strike = we're done, so no point in running around in circles panicking but...wow. I was definitely awake after that.

"If you are outdoors, seek immediate shelter in a building. Remain indoors well away from windows. If you are driving, pull safely to the side of the road and seek shelter in a nearby building or lie on the floor. We will announce when the threat has ended. This is not a drill."
Profile Image
Unfortunately I live in a space between a huge petrochemical industry and extensive Whisky Bonds with an extensive network of underground pipelines conveying both gases and liquids. Having been born here, I didn't actually realise how extensive this was until I bought my current house closer to the BP and have now heard the drills. Working out of the area, it still took me by surprise the first time I actually heard it as they do it during the day when I am not normally there. I am so far away I would really hope my house wouldn't be affected.
Profile Image
Profile Image
It's a disgrace. I can't even imagine the way that must have felt.
And to add insult to injury, no comforting words coming from the White House...
Profile Image
I can't imagine that ANY words from the White House could feel comforting.

I think I'd prefer silence from Tweetland.
Profile Image

Well, no, not from the current one...

Except for the simple, factual information that it was a false alarm. THAT would have helped a bit. Someone who has a lot of followers on Twitter *cough* could certainly have helped spread that message. But did that happen? You know the answer.
Profile Image

Well, no, not from the current one...

True, but really, I wouldn't have expected that from him.

Except for the simple, factual information that it was a false alarm. THAT would have helped a bit. Someone who has a lot of followers on Twitter *cough* could certainly have helped spread that message. But did that happen? You know the answer.

At least one member of our congressional delegation was very proactive about getting the word out ASAP (on Twitter and elsewhere) that it was a false alarm, well before the official retraction...but radio silence from the tweeter-in-chief.
Profile Image
Except for the simple, factual information that it was a false alarm.

If there was tweet from him saying that this was 'false news', then I would have been REALLY worried!

Profile Image

If there was tweet from him saying that this was 'false news', then I would have been REALLY worried!

At least he was too slow in reaching for the big button.
Profile Image

At least he was too slow in reaching for the big button.

Profile Image
And to add insult to injury, no comforting words coming from the White House...

Too many brown people, too many associations with his predecessor, etc. And not many of us took advantage of the "privilege" of voting for him.
Profile Image
.....that guy had 1 job. "Press the CORRECT button"!

Can't help but remember what it was like being a little further down in the Pacific myself a few years back and being put constantly on tsunami alert, then there being zero updates.
You just got to the point where after 2 days of sitting ontop of an old World War II bunker with the entire population of the island (all 16 of us), you just had to take a punt that it wasn't a threat anymore and get on with your life until the next one.

Ah island life!
Profile Image
.....that guy had 1 job. "Press the CORRECT button"!

Turns out it was a menu choice on a computer screen. Not only did he click on the wrong option, it asked him again, and he confirmed it! Reminded me of back when you could type "format c:" and the computer would ask for confirmation before wiping your _entire_ hard drive...and people would manage to do it anyway.

Can't help but remember what it was like being a little further down in the Pacific myself a few years back and being put constantly on tsunami alert, then there being zero updates.
You just got to the point where after 2 days of sitting ontop of an old World War II bunker with the entire population of the island (all 16 of us), you just had to take a punt that it wasn't a threat anymore and get on with your life until the next one.

Ah island life!

Yeah, that can't be fun on an island where the highest elevation is...not very high at all. I'm high enough and far enough inland so that any tsunami that took out my house would be a giant that wiped out large portions of the island, so if I'm at home, there's nothing to do but wait & see. (My neighbors are slightly higher and can see the ocean in two directions, so their house would possibly be a better place for the "seeing" portion.)
Profile Image
not real, in the end.

And, in the spirit of that fable of the boy ho cried wolf, my first thought was that somehow, trump was behind it. I am, of course, very happy that he was nowhere near it but that man has to go.

And why on earth would the guy who pushed that *wrong button* be reassigned? He ought to be fired outright. And why on earth were there not 2 people on this assignment all the time, not just from this point on, as I heard on the news.

Humans sure are a weird and scary species, aren't they?
Profile Image
not real, in the end.

No kidding!

...my first thought was that somehow, trump was behind it. I am, of course, very happy that he was nowhere near it but that man has to go.

If only. 2020 seems like a long time away.

And why on earth would the guy who pushed that *wrong button* be reassigned? He ought to be fired outright.

One of my first thoughts upon hearing that it was a _mistake_ was along the lines of "heads will roll"..and yet that doesn't seem to be happening, or at least not yet. On the other hand, apparently some of the people in that emergency center have been getting death threats - and that's way over the top.

A boneheaded move like putting the whole state on missile alert should carry a penalty, but it's not a capital offense.
Profile Image
I was amazed by this, how frightening. Lots of Australian tourists in Hawaii didn't know what to do or where to go. Some on the beach were directed to a school for shelter. Lots of confusion and heartache.

Thank goodness it was all a mistake.
Profile Image
https://xkcd.com/1946/

The sequence of can't-remember-the-password/can't-access-the-reset-info is all too scary, though for me it's more likely to happen with important but rarely-used accounts that I need to get at for tax time!
Profile Image
https://xkcd.com/1946/

The sequence of can't-remember-the-password/can't-access-the-reset-info is all too scary, though for me it's more likely to happen with important but rarely-used accounts that I need to get at for tax time!

Oh, I hate when that happens!

I missed the part about the governor not knowing his Twitter password...on the one hand we all have too many passwords to remember; on the other hand the idea of being dependent on that...!

Overall, I'd say the incident isn't likely to fade from the public consciousness here any time soon. Last night at the UH women's basketball game, there was a question about the scoring at one point (on the scoreboard, the basket was awarded to the wrong team). The band was yelling "someone pushed the wrong button" and "we don't want CNN making fun of us again"!

Also, it was on the news last night that the employee in question has been out on "sick leave" since the 13th; my guess is he's using up accumulated sick days in anticipation of a change in employment status.
Profile Image
Also, it was on the news last night that the employee in question has been out on "sick leave" since the 13th; my guess is he's using up accumulated sick days in anticipation of a change in employment status.

There was an old game show called "What's My Line," where contestants had to deduce someone's job by asking questions - I couldn't help imagining an episode featuring Button-Pushing Guy...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.