corner corner Hot day - just over 39C here (Canberra) today

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Hot day - just over 39C here (Canberra) today

but now cooled to 34C. However, it could have been worse. Some parts of western Sydney recorded just over 47C I believe.

Temperature converter.
39C /102F
47C /117F

I know it's winter above the Equator, and cold, but what temperatures did others in the southern hemisphere get to today?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
but now cooled to 34C. However, it could have been worse. Some parts of western Sydney recorded just over 47C I believe.

Temperature converter.
39C /102F
47C /117F

I know it's winter above the Equator, and cold, but what temperatures did others in the southern hemisphere get to today?
Profile Image
Yeowch! It rarely gets that hot in southern NH - though we did have a few 100+ days last summer, as I recall. Don't think I've ever seen it hotter than 102F/39C in this region, and never for more than a few days in any given year.

As uncomfortable - or downright dangerous - as the cold can get, I prefer it to that kind of heat, mainly because when it's cold I can add more layers (plus cat), but when it's hot there's only so much I can take off {wry grin}.
Profile Image
They're called malls and swimming pools/rivers/creeks/ocean. Being flippant, as I hope there were cool places those in need could go to, although I imagine some utilised the above too.

Fortunately it didn't get as hot in Canberra and my house is designed well so I don't need air-conditioning; at the most an electric fan, which uses much less power. The design also works in winter too. It's called thermal mass. In summer, during the day, I close all windows and lower the honey-combed blinds. Then in the cooler evening air I open the windows and the two thermal chimneys on the roof. These thermal chimneys are an old idea. I saw an ancient version in a house at a museum, when I visited the United Arab Emirates.
Profile Image
I thought it was 41 yesterday?
Either way, it's bloody hot!
Profile Image
It was -8C this morning and the locks were frozen on my car. Heat and de-icer didn't help so I had to climb in via the boot to get to work.
Profile Image
Could you open the door to get out?
Profile Image
Could you open the door to get out?

I could get out OK but I couldn't lock it again without a little bit more fiddling even after a 20 minute drive to the park and ride.
Profile Image
Sad you don't have a garage. That might have stopped the problems.
Profile Image
Sad you don't have a garage. That might have stopped the problems.

Unfortunately the street I live in was built before cars were much of a consideration which is a huge problem nowadays. Especially where there are flats rather than houses. For example my neighbours have 4 adults (a couple and 2 teenage sons) and space for only one car and in the flat below a couple with a car each.
Profile Image
We went from +10C to -10C in one day this past week, and tonight it's back down to -18C. Br-r-r-r-r.
Profile Image
PS: 'Hope the temps have gone down a bit for you!
Profile Image
PS: 'Hope the temps have gone down a bit for you!

It has cooled down and I just checked the internet. Today it's dropped to 'only' 18C outside. It rained last night, so that must have done this.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.