corner corner U. S. winter storms

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

U. S. winter storms

Thinking of all my friends on the East Coast, and in Canada. Hope you're "weathering" the storms, warm, safe, and well provisioned.

We're cold here in Alabama, but no precipitation.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Thinking of all my friends on the East Coast, and in Canada. Hope you're "weathering" the storms, warm, safe, and well provisioned.

We're cold here in Alabama, but no precipitation.
Profile Image
I got through the storm happily enough; brand-new furnace kept working, power didn't go out, snow-removal guy cleaned out my driveway once the snow stopped, etc. Very high snowplow ridges everywhere, of course, and today it was sunny but bitterly cold with a severe wind-chill as well, but I was able to get out and about. Had to attach a hook-and-eye to the Little Free Library I'm stewarding - its catch wasn't sticking (one of those pivoting wooden latches) and the door kept blowing open, letting snow drift in on the books. The hook-and-eye was easy to install, but in the five minutes or so that I was working on it my fingers got numb - that's how cold it is!
Profile Image
brand-new furnace kept working, power didn't go out, snow-removal guy cleaned out my driveway once the snow stopped,

All good things!

But I hear that New Hampshire is going to have crazy wind chills, so please stay inside and keep warm!
Profile Image
we did break a 59 year record for low temps! I did not step out my door today except to take in the mail. Yesterday was very cold and windy. I do need to go out tomorrow and it will be more of the same but they are saying that by Monday, it will feel downright balmy. Relatively speaking.
Profile Image
we did break a 59 year record for low temps! I did not step out my door today except to take in the mail. Yesterday was very cold and windy. I do need to go out tomorrow and it will be more of the same but they are saying that by Monday, it will feel downright balmy. Relatively speaking.

What was the low temperature? It has warmed up here today (-13 C) but doesn't really feel like it because there is a very strong south wind blowing (wind chill equivalent to -20). Went out this am but now we are snugged up in the house and intend to stay that way.
Profile Image
I don't remember what the low was yesterday but with windchill, they say it felt like -30 or so. Today's high was -16C I think but the winds were pretty strong.

However, tomorrow will bring a big warm up and by next week we will have some temps above zero!! Heat wave! But Winnipeg is always colder than Toronto, right?

I am just grateful I am not in the Maritimes these days! They've really been hit hard
Profile Image
I don't remember what the low was yesterday but with windchill, they say it felt like -30 or so. Today's high was -16C I think but the winds were pretty strong.

Eep! It's -3F/-19C here in southern NH (at 9:30 in the morning), with a wind chill of -16F/-27C - sunny and bright outside, but oh so cold. Saw some footage of the folks on Mt. Washington (where it reached -36F/-38C, with windchills at -75F/-59C) blowing soap-bubbles to show how they froze solid instantly...
Profile Image

Eep! It's -3F/-19C here in southern NH (at 9:30 in the morning), with a wind chill of -16F/-27C - sunny and bright outside, but oh so cold. Saw some footage of the folks on Mt. Washington (where it reached -36F/-38C, with windchills at -75F/-59C) blowing soap-bubbles to show how they froze solid instantly...

OMG! I can't imagine what it must be like out in that weather. Eep is right!
Profile Image
Looks like the worst damage has been on the coast; record-breaking floods topped with bitter cold.

Massachusetts news item:

https://www.necn.com/---/Scituate-Deals-With-Flood-Damage-After-Record-High-Tide-From-Storm-468116273.html

New Hampshire:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/---/storm-flooding-ice-chunks-rattle-hampton-beach

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.