corner corner Cold weather day

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Cold weather day

We are currently at -1 (-16C) with -16 windchills (-26C). I was going to get out and run errands, but I'm thinking it is a good day to stay in, do some baking, and cuddle up with a cat, hot tea, and a good book!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
We are currently at -1 (-16C) with -16 windchills (-26C). I was going to get out and run errands, but I'm thinking it is a good day to stay in, do some baking, and cuddle up with a cat, hot tea, and a good book!
Profile Image
It's *always* a good day to "to stay in, do some baking, and cuddle up with a cat, hot tea, and a good book".

You have it colder than we do. It was single digits when I went out* this morning, but ~heat wave!~ 15º when I came home. Supposed to be the same tomorrow.

*I wouldn't have, except that I had an appointment with my trainer. And that's why I *have* a trainer!
Profile Image
I do not miss that weather!
Profile Image
I'm going to a BBQ tonight.

ETA - BBQ in the middle of the woods in below zero conditions. You need to do something special for people with birthdays at Christmas.
Profile Image
Minus 25C with windchill. Tried to XC ski around our acre yesterday, and only made it 3x around. Way too cold...my face was freezing off. 'Warmed up by shovelling snow (tons of it!) off deck, then watched an episode of "The Crown" - no...wait - TWO episodes! Even Donfiction likes it, so it's nice to watch it together. Happy Holidays everyone - I hope you get a good break.
Profile Image
We've only gotten down to 12 F here in Delaware, but I'm loving it!!
Profile Image
I knew you would be, Covert! :-) Are you having much snow?
Profile Image
Hi, FH! We did get one decent snow, which made things very pretty for a couple of days. It's stayed around a bit longer than usual for Delaware, of course, due to the cold. It's been a special treat!
Profile Image
Very chilly here (southern NH), with lots of wind. The last snowfall has, of course, frozen solid, so anyone who didn't get their driveways cleared in time may need dynamite to handle it now. It's been in the single digits (F) all day, 5F/-15C right now, with an overnight low of -6F/-21C. And it's going to stay like this for several days. I ventured out today to try for some geocaches - couldn't stand being outside for more than a few minutes at a time, so I gave up on that, but did manage to drop some books in Little Free Libraries.

Now I'm snuggled up with the cat and a glass of wine.
Profile Image
...in Greece it's really hot for winter! 10 C... :( :(
Profile Image
The furnace couldn't have decided to die on a balmy barely-freezing day - no, it had to choose the middle of this cold snap, AND the day before the long New Year's holiday weekend. In some ways I was lucky - I'd planned to dash out for a book-releasing and geocaching tour today, and if I'd done that I'd have discovered the dead furnace far too late in the day for any kind of help, not to mention the very real risk that the pipes might have frozen. As it was I canceled the day-trip, got a repair person to show up, learned (without much surprise) that the cost of parts was high enough and the furnace old enough that a new one was in the cards. Ouch. Good news: they say they can do it on Tuesday, and they had a spare space-heater to lend me. With that, and another one from a friend, my living space and the basement (where the pipes are) may stay sufficiently warm to see me through without having to run water to keep the pipes from freezing. But it isn't how I wanted to spend the weekend! I did dash out for supplies, so I have milk for hot chocolate, and wine (because under the circumstances I *really* want some wine), and I have some good slow-cooker recipes that should help keep things cozy. And Raffles the cat might even be a bit cuddlier in the cooler-than-usual temperatures...
Profile Image
Wow! I'm so glad your funace man could come and save you and Raffles!
Profile Image
Now THAT'S a bummer. Although I love the cold, I wouldn't love the potential for frozen pipes. Hope all is well soon.
Profile Image
The furnace couldn't have decided to die on a balmy barely-freezing day - no, it had to choose the middle of this cold snap, AND the day before the long New Year's holiday weekend.

Isn't that always the way? Several years ago, my kitchen sink backed up - yep, on New Year's. I've had an oven go out just before Thanksgiving, and last year my fridge decided to give up the ghost during Christmas week!

It's a plot, I tell you.

I'm glad they'll be able to get you a new furnace quickly. Do be careful with the space heaters in the meantime.
Profile Image
Gory, I'm sorry to hear about your furnace! Sounds like you're getting by with the space heaters - thank goodness!
Profile Image
eep! Sounds like everyones having one of those winters! Its been dancing around -30 to -40C with the windchill here in northern Alberta. Hopefully everyone is staying warm with a good book!
I wish everyone good luck with the weather!

<3 Icequeenslion
Profile Image
I haven't wanted to get out, and I live in balmy Alabama - high was about 50 F today, but highs are expected to get to the 20s and 30s F next week. I 've done my grocery shopping, so I plan to stay in.
Profile Image
here in Vienna, Austria we've had +15°C today, which is far too warm. But it was below zero last week and temperature is expected to drop again Tuesday.
Profile Image
traditionally held outdoors have either been cancelled or scaled back. And for the first time, the annual Polar Bear Dip has been cancelled due to the cold. Do you know about the Polar Bear Dip? It's where a bunch of lunatics run into Lake Ontario wearing nothing but their speedos, on New Year's Day, ostensibly to raise money. I think they are crazy any year but I guess the cold this year is just dangerous. At the moment here in Toronto, it is, at the moment - 16C (3.2F), dropping to -22C (-7.6F).

I am quite happy to stay home, on my cozy couch with a book, the tv and the cats.
Profile Image
There are a couple of different ones in Chicago.

There's the Polar Plunge, which benefits the Special Olympics; that's held in March.

There is also a Polar Bear Club, which raises money for needy families. They do their thing in January, though not always on the first. It's been cancelled (or re-configured) a couple of times. One year, Lake Michigan was frozen over, so they sprayed water on each other instead. And during the 2013-14 polar vortex, they partied instead.

Profile Image
traditionally held outdoors have either been cancelled or scaled back. And for the first time, the annual Polar Bear Dip has been cancelled due to the cold.

Cancelled here as well: http://www.chicagotribune.com/---/ct-met-frigid-weather-20180101-story.html

However, "some 400 hardy* runners still turned out for a 5K Monday in Lincoln Park, benefiting Hope for the Day, a charity working to reduce suicide."

*Perhaps "crazy" would be a more appropriate word. It was -9º this morning.
Profile Image
It's relatively warm here, today, at a balmy 13F. Compared to the -10F we've been experiencing lately, it's positively cozy!
Profile Image
Another day in the deep freeze; it's currently 8 AM and -10F/-23C outside - the space heater's maintaining about 62F inside, and I'm grateful for that, but I'll be very glad to have normal heat back. Now it's a matter of waiting for the repairfolk and hoping that nothing has happened to force a reschedule...

Meanwhile, Raffles is snoozing on my lap. Maybe having it cooler inside is encouraging him to be cuddly {wry grin}.
Profile Image
62F! Those are pretty good space heaters, if they're able to maintain such a temperature in your current weather.

62 is where I keep my thermostat anyway, so I guess I'd do fine at your place!
Profile Image
62F! Those are pretty good space heaters, if they're able to maintain such a temperature in your current weather.

62 is where I keep my thermostat anyway, so I guess I'd do fine at your place!

I was impressed with the space heaters too. But I did have to shut off almost half of the living space to keep the remaining rooms that warm; the closed-off rooms got... considerably colder! (I generally keep the temperature at 69F in the daytimes in winter, 59F at night; in summer I shift to daytime 72F, nighttime 80F, to help keep air-conditioning costs down.)
Profile Image

Heat!

Got a new furnace installed today, and the house is all comfy again. Raffles seems relieved, and I certainly am. It cost quite a lot, but (as with many major purchases these days) I comfort myself with the hope that this is probably the last furnace I'll ever have to buy {wry grin}.

Having made it through the record-breaking cold snap without a working furnace, it's mildly irksome that things are warming up in the next couple of days - though it's only to a more seasonal 28F/-2C. And then we're supposed to get a big snowstorm, and then it'll get really cold again, and then it's going to... rain? Wait, what???

Weather is interesting!
Profile Image

RE: Heat!

Congratulations! I'm glad that worry is behind you. (Sorry about the bill though!)
Profile Image
I'm enjoying the onset of the snowstorm, as my house is warm and my cat is cuddly and the coffee is hot. But while the snow accumulation won't be out of line for a typical New England storm, the possibility of high winds and resulting power outages are worrisome. If all goes well, I'll be able to read and web-surf and watch some of the US Olympic skating events; if not, I'll be hunkered down under the layers that I just put off from the no-heater period, reading on my Kindle for as long as the battery lasts...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.