corner corner Cadging money

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Cadging money

Today I was in a shopping centre and met up with a friend for coffee. He told me that someone had just tried to cadge a couple of dollars off him to get a coffee. Coffee is usually more than four dollars, so two dollars wouldn't be enough. Plus it's doubtful that's what the cadger really wanted the money for.
My friend then went onto to tell me of the time someone asked for money from him for the bus fare. He said to this person, that he wouldn't give him any money, but he was going that way, so he would give him a lift. Suddenly the cadger was back peddling fast, changing his mind. Amazing that!!
Anyway, we were walking through the plaza and we passed the cadger who had tried to get a couple of dollars off my friend earlier. He was asking a man for the two dollars for coffee, "because he wanted a drink". I said as we passed he could get a drink of water from the tap if he were thirsty. As I did this man gave him money. So easy, he just handed over money!

Have any of you ever fallen for these ruses, or been with someone who has?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Today I was in a shopping centre and met up with a friend for coffee. He told me that someone had just tried to cadge a couple of dollars off him to get a coffee. Coffee is usually more than four dollars, so two dollars wouldn't be enough. Plus it's doubtful that's what the cadger really wanted the money for.
My friend then went onto to tell me of the time someone asked for money from him for the bus fare. He said to this person, that he wouldn't give him any money, but he was going that way, so he would give him a lift. Suddenly the cadger was back peddling fast, changing his mind. Amazing that!!
Anyway, we were walking through the plaza and we passed the cadger who had tried to get a couple of dollars off my friend earlier. He was asking a man for the two dollars for coffee, "because he wanted a drink". I said as we passed he could get a drink of water from the tap if he were thirsty. As I did this man gave him money. So easy, he just handed over money!

Have any of you ever fallen for these ruses, or been with someone who has?
Profile Image
I dunno. It can be hard to tell whether someone who's asking for money on the street really needs it for basic essentials, really needs it for a habit, or doesn't really need it but likes to have a go at getting cash from strangers. I don't run into that a lot in the city where I live, and generally go with a smile and "sorry" when I am approached. Anecdotal evidence from friends and family who've lived in or visited large cities suggests some rather clever schemes-to-get-money, including one where someone asked for a quarter to get a newspaper; what they really wanted was to open the newspaper vending machine and take out ALL the papers, selling them individually for more cash. But whether they needed that to live or to feed a booze or drug (or rental-movie?) habit, I have no idea.
Profile Image
There used to be a young homeless guy near the shops, I always gave him some money. It was probably to feed his drug habit, but I felt sorry for him. One of my friends used to buy him some groceries, he would ask him what he would like today and then pop into the shops and buy it for him. Usually it would be bread rolls and some ham and cheese to make a meal. Another friend who is connected to the local Catholic Church also knew him, and they were providing assistance to him. So knowing all this, I still gave him some money when I saw him.
Anyway he has been gone for some months now, I hope he is ok wherever he is.
Profile Image
No, I never, ever, EVER give money, even if it's provably not a ruse. I frequently give food, however, and eat with the person if I have time. Leads to some interesting conversations.
Profile Image
I always give a little when I can and I support charities that work with the homeless.
Unfortunately our former government closed or underfunded many of the agencies working with our street people and as a result the numbers begging seemed to explode. Mental health and associated addictions and childhood abuse are the common thread of these poor soul's lives. I try not to judge their harmless ploys to make a connection and gain some sustenance.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.