corner corner Some thoughts

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Some thoughts

This site is quiet now and I mostly blame people going on Facebook for that. It worries me that this could eventually mean the demise of BC. People are on Facebook; not here.
So much that is BC related that is discussed on Facebook could be discussed here. So why isn’t it? Having the discussion elsewhere not only weakens this site; it excludes those who don’t have a Facebook account from the discussion. Personally I can’t help but feel that’s a touch rude and excluding.
There are crossover interests, such as Geocaching and BC. There is no reason those discussions couldn’t be held on this site; nor are there likely to be real reasons other off site BC discussion groups can’t be here. Local BC groups also could easily be accommodated on here. There is no reason to need an outside site to have a discussion. If anything is too personal for here, there is always email, or face to face at the meet-ups. Being here might even encourage new members, or someone else being able to make a contribution to the conversation. Chatting away on outside forums about BC; how will other BCers know about those discussions?
Two things I believe will kill this site. No app and people moving to other sites to have their BC chats.
The no app doesn’t worry me personally, but I can see that without one, BC will falter. It might also help explain low log statistics on books. There is little that most members can sadly do about that.
The other though we can. When having BC discussions, come back to this site to have them. Forget facebook, etc when wanting to be involved in BC. Here is where you should be, or likely one day your collective absence will help kill off this site. Then, what good will facebook, etc be for BC discussion, when absence has killed off BC, except to mourn what used to be, before people deserted it for other sites.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
This site is quiet now and I mostly blame people going on Facebook for that. It worries me that this could eventually mean the demise of BC. People are on Facebook; not here.
So much that is BC related that is discussed on Facebook could be discussed here. So why isn’t it? Having the discussion elsewhere not only weakens this site; it excludes those who don’t have a Facebook account from the discussion. Personally I can’t help but feel that’s a touch rude and excluding.
There are crossover interests, such as Geocaching and BC. There is no reason those discussions couldn’t be held on this site; nor are there likely to be real reasons other off site BC discussion groups can’t be here. Local BC groups also could easily be accommodated on here. There is no reason to need an outside site to have a discussion. If anything is too personal for here, there is always email, or face to face at the meet-ups. Being here might even encourage new members, or someone else being able to make a contribution to the conversation. Chatting away on outside forums about BC; how will other BCers know about those discussions?
Two things I believe will kill this site. No app and people moving to other sites to have their BC chats.
The no app doesn’t worry me personally, but I can see that without one, BC will falter. It might also help explain low log statistics on books. There is little that most members can sadly do about that.
The other though we can. When having BC discussions, come back to this site to have them. Forget facebook, etc when wanting to be involved in BC. Here is where you should be, or likely one day your collective absence will help kill off this site. Then, what good will facebook, etc be for BC discussion, when absence has killed off BC, except to mourn what used to be, before people deserted it for other sites.
Profile Image
Are Bookcrossers really moving to Facebook to discuss books?

I'm on Facebook and have been for 8 years, but have never thought about using Facebook as a replacement for Bookcrossing. In fact, none of friends on Facebook are members of Bookcrossing (that I know of anyway). I keep Facebook and Bookcrossing completely separate ... Not that I don't talk about books and reading on my Facebook page, but I primarily discuss books and reading here on Bookcrossing or on Goodreads or my book blog.
Profile Image
There are sites on facebook, such as the geocaching bookcrossing (for BCers who also geocache) example I gave.
Profile Image
Are Bookcrossers really moving to Facebook to discuss books?

I'm on Facebook and have been for 8 years, but have never thought about using Facebook as a replacement for Bookcrossing. In fact, none of friends on Facebook are members of Bookcrossing (that I know of anyway). I keep Facebook and Bookcrossing completely separate ... Not that I don't talk about books and reading on my Facebook page, but I primarily discuss books and reading here on Bookcrossing or on Goodreads or my book blog.

I fequently visit my own language forum, BookTalk, the RABCK- and ring forums. In real life I find it hard to chat away with people I don't know (even if I can read their body language because I'm near to them). So this forum is not really for me: chatting with for the most part unfamiliar people that I can't see.

I have BC-friends on FB, these are mainly the people I've met in person. I don't intend to leave BC in favour of FB. To me they both have their own purpose.
Profile Image
Same here, Bookcrossing and my RL friends (which are on Facebook) don't cross over somehow ^^
Profile Image
I do use FB occasionally, mostly for our local group to arrange meetups, but there are only a few of us. What is annoying me at the moment is one member that posts photos of every book they release. I have removed that person from my notifications. I don't want to know every book they release, they are not in English and they are nowhere near me. I don't think that is what FB should be used for and I don't want my feed clogged up with that. Imagine if everyone did that?
Profile Image
Imagine if everyone did that?

That's facebook for you. Basically it seems to me to be, look where I am. I am in the USA this week, last week somewhere else and see my photographs of my lunch, etc. And I admit to doing some of the same, so as to feel I am joining in. Very shallow site, but shallowness wins it seems!
Profile Image
Imagine if everyone did that?

That's facebook for you. Basically it seems to me to be, look where I am. I am in the USA this week, last week somewhere else and see my photographs of my lunch, etc. And I admit to doing some of the same, so as to feel I am joining in. Very shallow site, but shallowness wins it seems!

But that's what Facebook is for. It's for easily posting a photo or video, and 'checking in' so people can see where you are. It's how I keep in touch with my family and friends when I travel. And I love seeing where people are and what they are doing.
Profile Image
If that's the case then BC might be in greater trouble than I imagined.
Profile Image
If that's the case then BC might be in greater trouble than I imagined.

Well, people chatting is not how BC keeps the lights on... it's the Store that makes that happen.
Profile Image
I post on BC mostly in Book talk RABCK, book boxes etc not much chit chat. Just the occasional post. Same with Facebook. Even my own profile on Facebook isn't used that much!
I do like them both though and used them to let everyone know about a meet up I was arranging earlier this year.
I think it has been quite recently but not too worried that its the end of The site just yet.
An app would be great but I can do everything I need to using my tablet. I just hate it when the site is down or running slow and am pleased that isn't too often. Keep up the good work BCSupport :-)
Profile Image

You can't register books on Facebook. You can't make release notes there, or journal entries. You won't get a notification from Facebook if someone finds and journals a book you released.

The Forums are NOT Bookcrossing!

Profile Image
Some forums are certainly more quiet than others, though I've noticed that the quietude of this one is a mixed blessing - it's nice to see a variety of topics, but fewer participants has tended to also mean fewer flame wars {wry grin}. But in this and other web sites I've followed, I've seen chat-type forums ebb and flow, so I don't worry about it too much. I don't know whether others are as interested in repeated threads about weather or what we're eating or my latest History Blog post as I am!

I do find the Book Talk and Site Watch and Bookring forums of more direct BookCrossing interest than Chit-Chat, but I do like to chat, too - and while I have dipped my toes into Facebook I don't find it nearly as enjoyable to use. (Sooooo cluttered, even with as many things turned off as I could find!)
Profile Image
I've noticed the Chat Forum ebb and flow too over the years. It just seems the way it is.
Profile Image
I have read a few of your posts in the threads over the past weeks and they all seem to have a....well.....negative vibe and plain derogatory on more than 1 occasion.
I know I've largely not had anything to add in the context of what it is you are wanting to discuss (I often don't share your viewpoints on things and have learned from many moons ago on BC that its sometimes just best to keep quiet), so I've not bothered to engage in the conversations.

Then I saw this post, and I'm sorry but I couldn't stop myself for sharing my thoughts on what you have posted here.

BookCrossing is a thriving site that exists to share books.
This is done obviously by wild releases and meetups, but also through the RABCK and BookRing/Ray forums on this site.
I note that of your 76 forums posts in the last 4 weeks, you have had zero engagement in those 2 forums, so I find your post of "calling out" BookCrossing as not being entertaining and it not being busy enough in the chat/discussions arena, quite frankly misguided.
I'm also surprised (given your post) that seeing as you're calling for more "talk", that you aren't more active in the BookTalk forum, as that is where a lot of conversations are being had about Books and Reading.

I'd ask that you cast your net a little wider around the forums before posting your predictions of the demise of this site.....and I will state as a reminder that this is a site which could not function without generous volunteers from around the world who help to keep it alive and (in my opinion) well!

Oh and I will also add that I do not have a FaceBook account.
Profile Image
I vaguely think you have made negative comments about me before, but unlike you, I don't troll through people's old posts to check this. Okay, you don't like me; and the comments are aimed to hurt. However, I looked through my comments for the last week and there are both positive and negatives comments.
I love BC and there are wonderful people on the site, but I worry about its viability, unless it is updated. Apps mean nothing to me personally as I don't use them, but many people do and won't use anything else. BC does not cater to these people and the numbers are growing. You can prefer not to consider happening trends; that is your prerogative. I am not expecting the volunteers to spend their time developing an app. That can't be expected and the money isn't here to pay for one, so difficult to know what the solution is. Someone here made the good suggestion that perhaps a fund could be raised to pay someone to make one. Great suggestion, but I wonder how much money would be needed?
I would be distressed if BC went under, and so would many other people (looking at the effort of book releases, etc, many possibly more than me), and thinking about this brings a tear to my eye. I don't want anyone to be hurt by losing something special that is a big thing in their lives. If feelings are negative, so be it. But positive feelings come from the members.
It's a great site, many great people and people volunteering their time. I do hope/want it to continue.
Profile Image
I vaguely think you have made negative comments about me before, but unlike you, I don't troll through people's old posts to check this. Okay, you don't like me; and the comments are aimed to hurt. However, I looked through my comments for the last week and there are both positive and negatives comments.

I don't recall making negative comments "about you" in the past, and I'd like to be clear that here I have stated that I haven't appreciated the context of some of your recent threads. That does not equate to my not "liking" you.

and the comments are aimed to hurt
I find it ironic that you're asking people to talk more, yet seem to have a problem with me chatting in your thread here, because I have strongly disagreed with your opinion!

I don't particularly appreciate being referred to as a "troll" or be accused of "trolling", and again to be clear, I looked through your 70 odd posts to see which forums you are active in to understand why you think the site isn't "chatty enough" because I don't agree with you that it is quiet around the forums, hence why I offered some suggestions of other more active forums than those you currently frequent in.

The remainder of your recent post I don't think relates to anything that I've said. You've gone off on a tangent about an App, after previously stating that the existence of one (or not) doesn’t worry you personally.
Profile Image
You've gone off on a tangent about an App, after previously stating that the existence of one (or not) doesn’t worry you personally.

I don't think that's a tangent. It relates directly to what goldenwattle is concerned about, how to keep BC viable by appealing to those who use this kind of technology, and social media.

Merely because an app is not the sort of thing goldenwattle (or I, for that matter) would use does not mean that she cannot recognize its utility for *other users* and thus the site itself.
Profile Image
If you include my sentence before the one you've quoted, it makes more sense.
The remainder of your recent post I don't think relates to anything that I've said.
Profile Image
I don't particularly appreciate being referred to as a "troll" or be accused of "trolling", and again to be clear, I looked through your 70 odd posts to see which forums you are active in to understand why you think the site isn't "chatty enough" because I don't agree with you that it is quiet around the forums, hence why I offered some suggestions of other more active forums than those you currently frequent in.

I never said you were a "troll" in an internet sense. Troll has other meanings and I used it in this sense: https://www.thefreedictionary.com/trolling
b. To examine or search through: trolling the classifieds for a cheap car.

Troll has different meanings, including to fish.

Okay, I accept why you might have done this, and if you had you would see I visit more sites than just Chit Chat. True, I don't visit Book Talk very often, because I give my opinion of books when I write a journal entry. Plus my score indicates my opinion of an individual book. If I really like a fiction book I often don't write that much about it, because I find it difficult to say much, except that it was an enjoyable read. If a book is written well, there's little to pick up on. A non-fiction book is easier to comment on though, as issues can be discussed. But this could raise controversy. It's the books I don't like that have something to be said about them, because they have faults to me. Logic in a book is important to me, but often not to other readers. You accuse me of being negative, but this is one of the reasons I don't go onto Book Talk, because I don't want to go there to be negative. It would be boring to only go on that site and write, great book, but nothing about the bad books (to me), to avoid sounding negative.
Profile Image
In reference to:
So much that is BC related that is discussed on Facebook could be discussed here.
Seemed to me you're complaining about the lack of people having conversations on BC about BC related topics and yet you largely only participate in the Chit Chat forum, which is one of the few only forums that isn't about BC!!

Profile Image
Bookcrossing is for books. I am not very interested in Chit Chat with strangers.
Facebook is for friends, family and social media campaigns. I find much of the chit chat on this site not to my personal taste. I would not be friends with those people in real life so why would I chatter with them on here for all to see and join in. FB is much more private. I like talking to people who share similar values. Politics is very personal to me and I for example could not be friendly with a Trump or May supporter. Chit chat forum may diminish over time but I am confident bookcrossing will go on.
Profile Image
Bookcrossing is for books. I am not very interested in Chit Chat with strangers.

Exactly. I'm here to release and catch books, also to join some sweepstakes on the side, but definitely not for chats or discussion. In fact I only check out three of the forums regularly, plus a few others quickly at moments when I'm really bored (for example now!). I belong to a couple BC-related facebook groups but there's not much conversation in either of them, so I don't know where it is that everyone's moved to? (am not into geocahing so that group I know nothing about)
Profile Image
This concern is posted ever now and then on bookcrossing, but the site seems to go on, with people releasing and sharing books, meeting up, and, yes, even chatting in forums.

It feels healthy to me.
Profile Image

RE: Some thoughts

This site is quiet now

If you want to see a livelier side of it: over the last two weeks, we've had quite a lot of new members from all over the world come in and say hello in the Introduce Yourself forum. You might want to to and take a look or even welcome some of them. It could be encouraging to them, and to you.
Profile Image
As I have said before. It is nice to have different fora for all kind of subjects, but that means that most of them are not very lively. International fora are lively because all subjects are talked about in one group; like introducing yourself, catches, what we are reading. Grouping some fora together to one forum we talk in I think would be a good idea.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.