corner corner Whew!

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Whew!

It finally feels like I've made it safely through another year! The nights are getting blessedly longer, the temperatures are finally bearable, and I can get a good night's sleep and actually wake up feeling refreshed and alert.

Woohoo!!

Complete Thread

Profile Image

Whew!

It finally feels like I've made it safely through another year! The nights are getting blessedly longer, the temperatures are finally bearable, and I can get a good night's sleep and actually wake up feeling refreshed and alert.

Woohoo!!
Profile Image

RE: Whew!

and I can get a good night's sleep and actually wake up feeling refreshed and alert.

That must be a wonderful feeling.
Good morning :-)
Profile Image
Wow, that good eh :-)
Profile Image
Although, when it gets to its 'warmest' I won't be so keen.

Recently I visited the International Antarctic Centre in Christchurch, NZ and inside the building in places is 'cool' literally. I had (very light) snow falling on me, inside, in one room. One room is kept at minus 8C (with snow covering the floor) and every now and then the fans come on and the wind chill factor is marked as -18C.
Pity you don't have such a place near you you could visit. Unfortunately it's expensive to visit. Or maybe they would be open to a volunteer with a science background and you could 'hang there and cool' with the penguins. I imagine you would like that building.
Profile Image
:)

I imagine so too!
Profile Image
OK, while I'm fond of the changing seasons, I admit that just now, with less and less daylight, the end of the harvest, and the onset of Very Cold Nights Indeed, I'm feeling a little forlorn. Where'd summer and fall go? They just zipped by, and while I know I did a lot of things and enjoyed many aspects of the seasons it seems way too short.

I swapped the screens for storm windows, emptied the garden planters (we're getting a very hard frost tonight and I don't want to deal with blocks of frozen earth), and harvested the Jerusalem artichokes (which are the better for having been frost-nipped, but if I leave them in the ground too long it'll be near impossible to dig them out). So dinner is the Last Harvest of the Season, followed by a glass of wine to ease me into "very dark and very cold" time {wry grin}.
Profile Image
[Please, please, PLEASE tell me your secret for getting your summers to "zip by"! All of mine are interminable!!]

Ooo, I love those things. Enjoy!
Profile Image
Where'd summer and fall go?

:) Here, it's come here...
Profile Image

I'd love to! If only air fares weren't so steep...

Meanwhile, here's a nod to New England autumns, now that most of our leaves have blown away:

http://www.incidentalcomics.com/---/a-sketch-for-autumn.html

Profile Image

I'd love to! If only air fares weren't so steep...

Meanwhile, here's a nod to New England autumns, now that most of our leaves have blown away:

http://www.incidentalcomics.com/---/a-sketch-for-autumn.html

Good one :)
A few years back I visited Maine and surrounding areas of the USA and Canada to see a 'proper' autumn. We don't have native deciduous trees where I live (ours are non-deciduous), so not the massive colour display that you get, and I wanted to experience this. We have colourful imported trees strutting their stuff, but not whole forests of them. And we have mostly planted trees that turn yellow (smaller numbers of red), so don't get all the red ones you do.
The trees were mostly still green when I arrived in Maine, but they began to colour. No pre-booked motels (except for stopovers and arriving and leaving), so I was flexible and could take other travels' advise where I should go to see the leaves. The autumn was magnificent and I was not disappointed. When I flew south I left behind mostly bare trees, so I had witnessed the spectacle from green leaf through the colours to dropped leaves.
One of my most memorial holidays.
Profile Image
https://xkcd.com/1916/

Some obvious items there, and some not-so-obvious - I spent some time Googling the places whose names I'd never heard before...
Profile Image
McMurdo Station, here I come!
Profile Image
If you alternate between McMurdo and Yellowknife, you'll never have to thaw out!

:)

Funny how all the Canadian cities are on the lower left.....
;)
Profile Image
A Southern Ontario autumn is similar to yours in the NE states. Beautiful colours, but this year, they didn't happen for the longest time. It was SO warm, Sept. & Oct. (After a hideously wet spring/summer.) The colours were sudden, the leaf fall was even more sudden. And, we had our first snow last week. 'Gone now....but it won't be long before we're staring out at white fields around here....(60 miles NW of Toronto)

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.