corner corner Color palettes

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Color palettes

I was impressed by the book Colors of the West, as reviewed on Book Threat:

https://bookthreat.com/---/#more-2108

It's intended for artists, demonstrating the palettes of different natural settings in the American West, but even though I have no artistic dreams at all I think I'd like to browse through that book. Natural color palettes appeal to me, though I'm more likely to want to visit the location than do up my house in "Great Red Desert".

It reminded me of another book of color palettes that I owned long ago: Living Colors ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12538430 ), which attempted to present various historical eras' color palettes, both to give a better idea of what colors they actually used (many of which change color or vanish altogether over the centuries) and to provide inspiration for home decorating.

One reason the walls in my house are still off-white is that, no matter how many beautiful color palettes I look at, I can never make up my mind on just one {wry grin}. I do have a couple of rooms with a specific palette: the bedroom, wallpapered in faux-stone (light beige) comes with hardwood floors and dark woodwork, and I added a kind of medieval-ish bedspread in burgundy and shades of beige and gold (it was on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond). I like the style, and it complements the cat, so there it is! [I do decorate in "cat" for the most part: cat-furniture, cat-friendly access to windows, upholstery that tends to hide cat fur...]

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I was impressed by the book Colors of the West, as reviewed on Book Threat:

https://bookthreat.com/---/#more-2108

It's intended for artists, demonstrating the palettes of different natural settings in the American West, but even though I have no artistic dreams at all I think I'd like to browse through that book. Natural color palettes appeal to me, though I'm more likely to want to visit the location than do up my house in "Great Red Desert".

It reminded me of another book of color palettes that I owned long ago: Living Colors ( http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12538430/ ), which attempted to present various historical eras' color palettes, both to give a better idea of what colors they actually used (many of which change color or vanish altogether over the centuries) and to provide inspiration for home decorating.

One reason the walls in my house are still off-white is that, no matter how many beautiful color palettes I look at, I can never make up my mind on just one {wry grin}. I do have a couple of rooms with a specific palette: the bedroom, wallpapered in faux-stone (light beige) comes with hardwood floors and dark woodwork, and I added a kind of medieval-ish bedspread in burgundy and shades of beige and gold (it was on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond). I like the style, and it complements the cat, so there it is! [I do decorate in "cat" for the most part: cat-furniture, cat-friendly access to windows, upholstery that tends to hide cat fur...]
Profile Image
For instance I think houses by the ocean can look lovely with blues and ocean scenes. I admire lovely original ceramics and paintings with ocean themes in artists' studios for example, and think how lovely they would look in houses near the sea. But I wouldn't be so impressed with them decorating a house in inland Canberra, and so I tend to admire, but not buy them. Away from the ocean that theme has the danger of looking a touch kitsch I think. Same with desert scenes in a house in a rainforest, etc. However, it's a personal preference.
Matching where you live. We see it often. City houses with modern bright decor; abstract paintings with a city feel. Bright colours for the best of the city, or maybe dull colours for the down of the city. Then you see the rural scenes with the local paint pallet in country houses.
This is also influenced by aspirational ideas. You might live in a dingy flat in the city, but want so 'out of there'.
I did not consciously choose colours and themes to match where I live when picking the colours for my house, but the theme colours tend to be blue, yellow, white (more the absence of colour?) , and red. They tend to give the feel of our strong blue skies (toned down), dry summer grass, etc. My ceilings are pale blue or white, walls all those colours (LOL, not all on the same wall). Red lounge, multi coloured painted furniture or natural woods. Grey granite bench tops, grey concrete floors. Then I tend towards abstract paintings; but not abstract exclusively.
The style of the house also is an influence. Mine is a modern architect designed house. Most Victorian furniture and its dowdy colours would not fit for instance.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.