corner corner free thread. let's talk to each other

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

free thread. let's talk to each other

sorry. computer went slow, I got impatient and it multiple posted.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
sorry. computer went slow, I got impatient and it multiple posted.
Profile Image
Can you believe it's already November?! The year has "flown by" sp quickly.
Profile Image
Can you believe it's already November?! The year has "flown by" so quickly.

Time speeds up as you get older - or so I'm told . . . .
We'll be wishing each other a Happy New Year in no time :-)
Profile Image
Happy New Year, Nu-Knees!!

(Just wanted to make sure I got there first.)
:)
Profile Image
Can you believe it's already November?! The year has "flown by" so quickly.

Time speeds up as you get older - or so I'm told . . . .
We'll be wishing each other a Happy New Year in no time :-)

and after (or before we've wished everyone a Happy New Year, we will be setting reading goals)
Profile Image
Can you believe it's already November?!

Yes, by the weather outside I can:-)We just had the time set back one hour.
Winter is not my favorite time of the year.
But we'll make the best of it and try to see something good every day.
Profile Image

Can you believe it's already November?!

I can't believe it!
Profile Image
(Sounds a bit like a song lyric to me!) They are controlled releases but I'm still really pleased that the books are travelling in China. The teacher that I work with at the school where I volunteer has gone out for a week to a Beijing school and he took the books with him. Here is a link to one of them.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14671717/

I'm really grateful to the teacher for journaling the books and hoping the children at the Beijing school will enjoy them.
Profile Image
(Sounds a bit like a song lyric to me!) They are controlled releases but I'm still really pleased that the books are travelling in China. The teacher that I work with at the school where I volunteer has gone out for a week to a Beijing school and he took the books with him. Here is a link to one of them.
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14671717/

I'm really grateful to the teacher for journaling the books and hoping the children at the Beijing school will enjoy them.

3 books in Beijing - that sounds cool.
Profile Image
Too bad I don't sew much anymore; free thread would come in handy!

Exciting times hereabouts, with a major wind/rain storm knocking down trees and power lines; I lost power for about 12 hours, not too bad (it was mostly overnight) but irksome, especially as my book-light's batteries were failing so I couldn't even read in bed.

During the first day of rain, before the power outage, I enjoyed the ambiance by making some very savory dishes, including wine-braised oxtail (yum!) and a new recipe for me, tomato pie. I read about it in a cozy mystery set in South Carolina, and looked up a recipe online. It's very simple: pie shell, ripe tomatoes drained of excess juice, sauteed onions, basil, and a topping of shredded cheese, Parmesan, and mayonnaise. Yep, mayo! Baked it as per instructions and it came out beautifully, sweet and rich at the same time - a new favorite dish.

Tonight I'm having some leftover oxtail, with toast to soak up some of the luscious fat and broth.
Profile Image
I didn't catch on at first about the free thread dohh!! Anyway sounds as if you're keeping busy with your cooking which all also sounds quite delicious. I made a cheese and onion flan/quiche yday and used up the remainder of the pastry to make a large strawberry jam tart. Have frozen the second half of the quiche but we might just make room for the 2nd half of the tart tonight, with custard of course. We need these winter warmers in the UK now it's getting colder and darker, It's a good excuse anyway.
Profile Image
And currently in possession of 8 books.
Profile Image
And currently in possession of 8 books.

8! how will you cope? or is this motivation to get the floor finished quicker?
Profile Image
but sorely lacking motivation :-P
Profile Image
What sort of project?
Profile Image
What sort of project?

Finishing up a fieldwork project, report still missing the ceramics chapter, need to sort out the database (it has some oddities) and re-box the finds for the depot
Profile Image
Hrumpf! Oddities belong in the field, not in the database. You tell 'em I said so.
Now go to it!
Profile Image
Hrumpf! Oddities belong in the field, not in the database. You tell 'em I said so.
Now go to it!

Yes but sometimes the oddities lead to unexpected discoveries. Examine them carefully before you discard them.
Profile Image
Yes but sometimes the oddities lead to unexpected discoveries. Examine them carefully before you discard them.

Sadly the oddities are of the 'wrong database script' kind, not of the artefact kind, odd artefacts are loved and cherished ;-)
Profile Image
I avoided the cold temperatures outside and stayed inside all day. But I invited three friends over for cake, coffee and knitting and it was great fun. (I even taught one of them how to knit.)
Profile Image
But I invited three friends over for cake, coffee and knitting and it was great fun. (I even taught one of them how to knit.)

Very cozy lol
Profile Image
and knitting + reading and/or listening to audiobooks!! I'm working on knitting a super bulky lace shawl right now and have six other knitting projects in progress.... Aw, the life of a knitter!
Profile Image
and knitting + reading and/or listening to audiobooks!! I'm working on knitting a super bulky lace shawl right now and have six other knitting projects in progress.... Aw, the life of a knitter!

Wish I knew how to knit.....but that would probably another of many projects I have started and can't "find" time to do.

With the cold creeping in and the "winter" season I'm ready to hibernate!
A nice cozy "cave" with a fireplace, enough warm blankets, plenty of tea and, of course, books. I'll be all nice and set until the springtime. :)
Profile Image
Wish I knew how to knit.....but that would probably another of many projects I have started and can't "find" time to do.

In the past I have knitted three jumpers, but two of those were children's, so less to knit. The only reason I ever finished them was they were multi-coloured jumpers. Seeing the patterns appear helped keep my interest. I doubt any jumper would have been completed if it were only one colour. I would have glazed over with being bored very quickly. It's easy, even for a beginner such as I was, to knit in multi-colours. I was taught basic plain knitting by my mother. That's all. I taught myself very quickly how to begin a new colour and weave it in. Like, with the first jumper I knitted. No-one showed me that, but easy to work out. In fact, only the first jumper had a commercial pattern for where to put the colours. The next two I designed myself; one jumper I changed the colours as I went, when I thought that would look nice to do so, and the other with a rocket, train, etc in the design, I worked out on graph paper that I had copied a basic jumper design onto. You just need someone to get you going, then you are off; your imagination being your own. If like me, you then find yourself becoming bored, try multi coloured knitting. That's why I mentioned this, as many people want to take up knitting, but then never complete the project. Someone has taught them knitting and got them going on one colour, plain knitting, because they are beginners and 'multi-coloured knitting is not for beginners'. I have heard that said. Wrong! Multi-coloured knitting is absolutely for beginners. That first jumper I attempted to knit turned out well and twenty years later I am still wearing it.
Profile Image
Sadly, even using multicolors didn't do it for me. The first thing I knitted was a pair of mittens for myself. One color, but they had a cable running down the back, and mittens go fast, so that wasn't too bad. So then I tackled a sweater (jumper) in several colors. I liked the pattern, and would have liked the result, as it was coming along fine. But it just didn't hold my interest enough to finish it.

Knitting just isn't for me. Oddly enough, I do a fair amount of cross-stitching though. Go figure.
Profile Image
Thank you for sharing your knitting story!!
Profile Image

Knitting is addicting!! I started learning to knit roughly 3.5 years ago and it is addicting!! My top two hobbies are reading and knitting!! My yarn stash now rivals by overflowing stacks of books around the house.

If you ever want to learn to knit there are hundreds (if not thousands) of videos on YouTube where you can learn to knit. There are even tutorials on how to make specific patterns too. I like Marly Bird's videos on how to knit on YouTube.

With the cold creeping in and the "winter" season I'm ready to hibernate!
A nice cozy "cave" with a fireplace, enough warm blankets, plenty of tea and, of course, books. I'll be all nice and set until the springtime. :)

Yes, I am ready to hibernate in front of a fireplace with a pot of hot tea, cocoa, or coffee and snacks along with blankets, and an audiobook and my latest knitting project!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.