corner corner Chronicles of Narnia props

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Chronicles of Narnia props

I was at the Beenleigh Historical Village yesterday for a writers meeting... afterwards, I took a walk around and spotted these!

http://365project.org/---/2017-10-15

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I was at the Beenleigh Historical Village yesterday for a writers meeting... afterwards, I took a walk around and spotted these!

http://365project.org/---/2017-10-15
Profile Image
And old model typewriters. Must have been an old movie. When was the date?
Profile Image
And old model typewriters. Must have been an old movie. When was the date?

The Narnia films are new, but the setting is WWII - typewriters would have been appropriate, though I don't recall them featuring largely in the films.

Re Beenleigh Historical Village itself: I was interested to see that Australia has such things; somehow I hadn't heard of it before.

http://beenleighhistoricalvillage.com.au/

It reminds me of Heritage Village in Woodville, Texas; my folks lived in Woodville for the last twenty years or so of their lives, and Dad participated in the Heritage Village activities for years, demonstrating wood-shingle splitting.

https://www.heritage-village.org/

In the New England area, our living-history sites tend to be set a bit farther back than the 1800s; Strawbery Banke (1700s), Plimoth Plantation (1600s), Olde Mystick Village (1700s)...

I enjoy visiting places like that, but now I'm wondering if there are - or will be - any living-history museums for, say the 1950s, or the just-before-the-cell-phone-and-internet era in the '70s! "Want to plan a trip to your grandparents' house? This is how you unfold a road-map..."
Profile Image
Some of us still use road maps. :)
Profile Image
Some of us still use road maps. :)

I always keep one in the car as a backup. You never know.
Profile Image
I like road maps. Not while I'm driving, though! I really like my iphone's voice to direct me while I'm driving! Before leaving or after arriving, I like to look at the paper road map to see the overview of where I'm going or where I've been.
Profile Image

iPhone

Ah, now THERE we differ! Any machine that tries to talk to me, ESPECIALLY if it tries to tell me what to do, risks being thrown off a very tall building!
Profile Image
machine that tries to talk to me

Some 'machines' have names. :) Mine is Tomasina. (Never know how to spell that.)
It's difficult to drive and navigate safely in a strange place by oneself. Looking at paper maps is not looking at the road. Easier if there are only a few roads, but in a city with many roads, I can't remember a long route, without consulting that map. Then many streets lack street signs. No where near as stressful with Tomasina calmly directing me. If I don't like part of the route, I ignore her instructions and she recalculates and adjusts.
Profile Image
Different strokes for different folks.
Profile Image
Thomasina

So, that's how it is spelt. I have an ancestor called that, and every document she is mentioned in has her name spelt differently. Some versions are long and overly complicated. Obviously people in her day had difficulty spelling it too. No wonder it's not a name used often.
Profile Image
I think it can be spelled however someone wants. That's one of the beauties of names.
Profile Image
The Narnia films are new, but the setting is WWII - typewriters would have been appropriate, though I don't recall them featuring largely in the films.

I was imagining the film writers used them; not that they were in the film. That's why I suggested an old film.
Profile Image
Ah, that makes sense. But she said "props", so I think she must mean they were used in the film.
Profile Image
Ah, that makes sense. But she said "props", so I think she must mean they were used in the film.

On the sign it said on the bottom that they were restored at the Caboolture Historical Museum. So, they didn't work beforehand; but they fixed them up for the movies so they did... this is great!
Profile Image
Wonderful!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.