corner corner Who flies their country's flag?

Forum | << Chit-Chat | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
It's unusual for people to display it every day, but on holidays such as Independence Day and Memorial Day, you'll see it.

I saw lots of private flags in the US. It's one thing I noticed. Plus I saw lots of flags in cemeteries. Picturesque. I don't believe it was a holiday because the shops were open.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Here in Australia it's very rare to see a privately flown flag. In fact, people might wonder about you, and why you are flying it. Government buildings probably fly a flag. Our parliament building here in Canberra has a huge flag, that has become part of the architecture, but that is a government flag.
https://www.google.com.au/search?...

People who display the flag too much, such as fly it and drape it around themselves, are often thought suspect. Maybe tending to be right wing racist hooligans.

What about in other countries?
Profile Image
In our village the flag is out when one of the members of the kings family has a birthday. On Kingsday (his birthday) a lot of people have the flag out from their homes.
And in the evening of May 4th, it is half mast to remember the people who died in WWII.
I hate it when I see people wrapped up in our country's flag, for instant at soccer games to show where they're from.To me it is something special.
Profile Image

In the U.S.

It's unusual for people to display it every day, but on holidays such as Independence Day and Memorial Day, you'll see it.
Profile Image

I saw lots of private flags in the US. It's one thing I noticed. Plus I saw lots of flags in cemeteries. Picturesque. I don't believe it was a holiday because the shops were open.
Profile Image
I saw lots of private flags in the US.

Where in the U.S. were you? That may make a difference.
Plus I saw lots of flags in cemeteries.

Cemeteries are different. You'll see flags on the graves of those who served in the military.
I don't believe it was a holiday because the shops were open.

Shops are often open on holidays here. Sadly, we seem to observe these days with sales.
Profile Image
Where in the U.S. were you? That may make a difference.

Last trip north-east states. Maine and nearby states.
Cemeteries are different. You'll see flags on the graves of those who served in the military.

The cemeteries I saw the flags in - many flags decorating the area - looked like normal cemeteries to me; they didn't appear to be military cemeteries. The flags did make them more photogenic. Pretty and something different (from a foreigner's view point).

Even if there was only one flag in twenty to fifty houses, or more (I didn't do any counting here) they would still stand out for me, as I am not used to seeing privately flown flags where I live. Australians have a lower level of conspicuous nationalism.
Profile Image

Lower level

Except on internet forums. ;)
Profile Image
nationalism

I think I get what you're saying. Reverse nationalism :)
Profile Image
So right Covert. Hi, how are you? I'm tip-top as usual, but working FAR too much.
Profile Image
I'm adequate, thank you. I believe I'll take you as my model and aspire to tip-top. :)
(Watch that overwork though; it'll play havoc with your top tip.)
Profile Image
The U.S. flag, the Confederate (Rebel) flag... I've seen the Irish Flag flown at private homes, and of course the Mexican flag. We (Puerto Ricans) usually have a flag on our car mirrors or as the front tag and sometimes in stickers. And we will also fly it on the car when we are feeling especially proud of the island. Yes, I know Puerto Rico is a territory and not a Country :)
Profile Image
Not I.

I did, however, include the U.S. flag in the creation of my homemade bumper sticker that says "I welcome refugees". I made the sticker and put it on my car the evening of the day that Trump came out with his first Executive Order restricting refugee travel to the U.S.
Profile Image
...so a lot of homes are flying a flag, or displaying one (we have a small one in the window). I am reading a really good book, about a genocide survivor from Africa who moves to America. At one point, he is looking for a post office, walks up to a house flying the US flag and knocks on the door, asking, "Are you a post office?" Where he lived (Burundi) only official buildings had the country's flag. The book is by Tracy Kidder: "Strength in What Remains". Very good.
Profile Image
every day on our front porch. We live in the USA, in Michigan. We proudly fly our flag. We believe in what it stands for, freedom. We believe in standing up for the men, woman and dogs that have given their lives to defend our country. It is one way of keeping their memories alive. Yes, I stand and salute my flag at gatherings and I will continue to do so whenever presented with the opportunity.
Profile Image
i'm with you - we do as well...on all counts
Profile Image
We only fly our flag on Infependence Day or Memorial. Day. In our neighborhood we seldom see flags displayed except one neighbor who is a retired military man. Public buildings and stores fly flags on a daily basis. As a child I was taught that a flag should not be flown at night unless a light was shining on it. If there was no light, the flag had to be taken down. No one seems to pay attention to that any more. Also a flag was never supposed to touch the ground. People here say they respect the flag, but their actions don't show it. I see flags that are so old and tattered , and faded by the sun because people just hang them and forget about them. People here decorate their homes in flag fabric, (throw pillows, curtains, table cloths, women wear flag bikinis, men wear flag swimming trunks or shorts, t-shirts etc.)
If you saw flags in a cemetery, it may have been a VA cemetery or national cemetery where a battle was fought. Normally in private cemeteries you only see a few flags that may have been put there by families.
Profile Image
If you saw flags in a cemetery, it may have been a VA cemetery or national cemetery where a battle was fought.
Does this happen a lot?

Profile Image
If you saw flags in a cemetery, it may have been a VA cemetery or national cemetery where a battle was fought.
Does this happen a lot?

Here is one cemetery I saw flying flags. Hope Cemetery.
https://www.flickr.com/---/album-72157647596856545/

Another cemetery.
Profile Image
We have a light on it for the evening.

I live in Florida. We are the ones who stand for the flag and put our hands on our hearts.

Shops here are opened most holidays.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.