corner corner Article about bookcrossing

Forum | << Chit-Chat | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Yes indeed this idea stems from Lytteltonwitch's book tree that she does every year on Christmas Eve in Christchurch, usually wearing a little red Christmas outfit I believe ;) I started out using a tree and LW and I had lots of fun doing them together when she stayed with me from time to time. The tree became broken ( not by the weight of books but by the weight of some local teenagers !) and after trying out a few not as good trees I settled on a bridge over a stream which is at child height. The local kids love it and my Christmas one with stockings and Christmas themed books has become a bit of a tradition. My next one will be The Becky's Hugs Bookcrossing Bridge on Feb 14th.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Lovely article - and MissMarkey is definitely awesome!
Profile Image
Lovely article - and MissMarkey is definitely awesome!

Yes, indeedy...just LOVEerly!!! ; ) WHOO HOOOO!!! : ) HOW exCITing, MissMarkey aka CELEBRITY AMONG US!!! ; ) LOVE the photos of the children with their parents and the BOOKS!!! : D
Profile Image
MissMarkey does so many great things to encourage youngsters to get into books and reading. Keep up the good work.
Profile Image
That's just the nicest thing I've read today. You are wonderful, MissMarkey!
Profile Image

Delightful!

She is a very kind and generous and innovative woman!
Profile Image

Nice!

Profile Image
Thanks for sharing.
Profile Image
MissMarkey is a star!
Profile Image

Very nice!

Profile Image
Cross-posted in Community Bulletin Board
Profile Image
This is just so, so lovely. Brilliant. Such a lot of work too and so glad it is appreciated.

Congrats MissMarkey.

Now I wish I had some children's books I could send to you for your next scheme but unfortunately, I do not have children's books any more.
Profile Image

No more

Already 'crossed all your kids' books, have you?
;)
Profile Image
Miss Markey is the best! :-)
Profile Image
Great but - unfortunately, I cannot see the photos there is no link :-(
Profile Image

The photo gallery should come up when you click on the news link Krissa33, but for me they DID take a VERy looooong time. ; ) You might try copying the link from the browser page that opens when you click on it in lytteltonwitch's thread, and then paste it into a new browser page. Perhaps they will load for you that way...and a bit quicker, as well....as they did for me. ; )
Profile Image

The photo gallery should come up when you click on the news link Krissa33, but for me they DID take a VERy looooong time. ; ) You might try copying the link from the browser page that opens when you click on it in lytteltonwitch's thread, and then paste it into a new browser page. Perhaps they will load for you that way...and a bit quicker, as well....as they did for me. ; )

No, this does not work, I have the page from The Herald with the photo on the top, I try to click on the photo to open the photo gallery, but nothing happens. When I copy the link in lytteltonwitch's thread to the page and try to open in a new browser page, I have this: "Sorry... We cannot find the page you were looking for"
So maybee it does not work because I'm in France, sometimes this happens also

Profile Image
maybee it does not work because I'm in France

I can see it in the Netherlands but it depends on which browser I'm using, and also on adblockers.
Profile Image
maybee it does not work because I'm in France

I can see it in the Netherlands but it depends on which browser I'm using, and also on adblockers.

I tryed with two different browsers (Google Chrome and Firefox), and it does not work!
But now I can see them all with the link on fb - no idea why it works with fb and not with BC, it's the same link!!

Profile Image
I am soooo happy you finally got to see the photos, Krissa33!!! ; ) When I initially tried the copy/paste into a new browser technique, I also received the "sorry" message a few times when I was trying to paste the link into a new browser. One time I took the "/" off at the end and it did work, another time it did not. Moem mentioned adblockers, and I do use one of those. Perhaps it is because soooo many people are trying to read the wonderful news about our MissMarkey at the same time!!! ; )
Profile Image
as I introduced MissMarkey to book trees etc. We used to have lots of fun doing them together whenever I stayed with her when I was living in the UK. One day I ended up talking about bookcrossing to the children of the village at a school assembly. That was a lot of fun.
Profile Image
Thanks for your initial post about MissMarkey's exciting news, lytteltonwitch, and CONGRATULATIONS MISSMARKEY!!! : ) As with most things in life, it does "take a village", and a lot of TEAMWORK, to create change and success in the world, at least in my experience. Many fellow BookCrossers have contributed books towards MissMarkey's Bookcrossing Projects, as well. Most importantly, the joy of reading is being shared, and the children, their parents, siblings, other family members, and people everywhere are being touched by BookCrossing and it's seemingly simple concept of sharing. I am reminded of Ballycumber's New Year's message posted here...http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/698 The following is a partial excerpt...

"Today's world is a troubled one in many ways; still, we feel that books and sharing are both important and positive things, and also that all things that help us spread the joy of reading can lead to happier, more informed people, who understand each other a little bit better. So for that reason, we consider BookCrossing to be a small, but real force for good in the world.

And that is why we will keep on keeping on. And that is why we're happy that you are a part of what we are doing here."

I LOVE our "little" World Wide Bookcrossing Library Community, and ALL of the people who are a part of it, and ALL of those who make it possible!!! : D
Profile Image
Great job, MissMarkey, and I'm glad to see you getting some recognition for it.
Profile Image
Profile Image
Yes indeed this idea stems from Lytteltonwitch's book tree that she does every year on Christmas Eve in Christchurch, usually wearing a little red Christmas outfit I believe ;) I started out using a tree and LW and I had lots of fun doing them together when she stayed with me from time to time. The tree became broken ( not by the weight of books but by the weight of some local teenagers !) and after trying out a few not as good trees I settled on a bridge over a stream which is at child height. The local kids love it and my Christmas one with stockings and Christmas themed books has become a bit of a tradition. My next one will be The Becky's Hugs Bookcrossing Bridge on Feb 14th.
Profile Image
Yes indeed this idea stems from Lytteltonwitch's book tree that she does every year on Christmas Eve in Christchurch, usually wearing a little red Christmas outfit I believe ;)

She's an inspiration, isn't she. I've told her that I want to be her when I grow up!
Profile Image
There are a lot of very photogenic kids in that village. :)

"...Miss Markey, who was awarded a British Empire Medal for services to the community in 2014 ..."

Amazing! Miss Markey is truly fabulous!
Profile Image

Amazing!

This is freaking amazing. I'm adding this to my bucket list of things I want to do here. Great job!
Profile Image
So is LyttletonWitch! I came across my little journal from the Gothenburg Convention a while back and saw that I had taken notes that said just that. But it's so obvious I have no idea why I felt it was necessary to write it down.
Profile Image
Way to go Miss Markey!!!

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.