corner corner I collect postage stamps because....

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

I collect postage stamps because....

Ok, so I actually don't, but I do always make sure I send my books out with actual postage stamps on them - to much eye rolling from the staff at Australia Post in Darwin in the past I can tell you - because I have found through BookCrossing that a lot of the BC Community do indeed collect used postage stamps.
I wanted to post something on my profile that basically says "OK so you might not do, but here are the people who do.."
So I thought I would create this post for all you BookCrossing Postage Stamp enthusiasts to post here as to why you collect postage stamps, what kind, who for, how long you've been doing it etc...so that if a person gets a parcel from me, or if they stumble across my profile, see this and think "hey I have a stash I could forward on" they might just choose to send you the postage stamps if they themselves are not a collector.

Please feel free to PM any BCers you know is a collector who may not normally check the forums and see this.

Here are some examples:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13380022
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13222192

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Ok, so I actually don't, but I do always make sure I send my books out with actual postage stamps on them - to much eye rolling from the staff at Australia Post in Darwin in the past I can tell you - because I have found through BookCrossing that a lot of the BC Community do indeed collect used postage stamps.
I wanted to post something on my profile that basically says "OK so you might not do, but here are the people who do.."
So I thought I would create this post for all you BookCrossing Postage Stamp enthusiasts to post here as to why you collect postage stamps, what kind, who for, how long you've been doing it etc...so that if a person gets a parcel from me, or if they stumble across my profile, see this and think "hey I have a stash I could forward on" they might just choose to send you the postage stamps if they themselves are not a collector.

Please feel free to PM any BCers you know is a collector who may not normally check the forums and see this.

Here are some examples:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13380022
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/13222192
Profile Image
Thanks for starting this thread J4shaw.

I collect stamps for a charity called Love Quilts UK. Love Quilts UK is a world-wide group of volunteer stitchers and quilters who cross stitch squares for British children under the age of 19 years, who have life threatening or life-long illnesses. The squares are then made into beautiful quilts which are given to the children with no cost to their families. You can see more about their work on their website http://www.lovequiltsuk.com/

Any stamps are OK - domestic, International, normal, plain stamps, or fancy - but only from the last three years please. If sending me stamps, please leave approx 1cm around the stamps when you cut them from the envelope.

Thanks for reading this. :-)
Profile Image
Any stamps are OK - domestic, International, normal, plain stamps, or fancy - but only from the last three years please.

Why only recent stamps? Many older stamps can be worth more money. Get the right old stamp, they can be worth a lot of money. I don't collect stamps now, but as a child until into my twenties I did collect Australian stamps, and the older the stamp the more interesting it was for me (and also my stamp collecting friends), and when I came to sell my collection (it was auctioned) the older stamps helped fetch more money. I was also fortunate to inherit my uncle's collection, which expanded my collection. Imagine getting an old stamp such as the 5/- Sydney Harbour Bridge; an (Australian) child stamp collector's dream. That was always a disappointing gap in my collection. My father had one in his collection though (also auctioned). There are even more valuable stamps. In fact when my stamps went to auction I was told not to bother including the modern ones. Use them on mail instead, as they were worth more there, and that's what I did.
http://www.ebay.com.au/---/231417088558?...
Profile Image
This thread is for people who want stamps sending to them.
But to answer your question, what type of stamps is listed by lovequiltsuk themselves here: http://www.lovequiltsuk.com/stamps.php so it's not actually Bookfrogster stipulating what type.
Thanks for stopping by though and sharing your story.
Profile Image
Yes, this is what Love Quilts UK specify for stamps being donated for them. Other charities may be happy to receive older stamps. :-)
Profile Image
so it's not actually Bookfrogster stipulating what type.

No, I didn't think that. I couldn't understand why a charity wouldn't want old stamps, in the hope something valuable might turn up. Perhaps they will bundle the modern stamps up and sell them to children, believing children don't want old stamps; only modern colourful ones. That was not my experience as a child, but then I was a serious collector, measuring the edge perforations, checking which watermark a stamp had and the like, because different variations in the stamp affected its value.
Profile Image
As a young mom on a fixed income, our large family and my many home responsibilities made it difficult for me to get out and see the world. It's only in the last couple years that I've been making a profit from my writing and have been able to send myself to England for the Jane Austen festival each year. Before that, (well, and even now, really) stamps were a way to "travel" the world and learn about it. I've formed a lot of impressions about other parts of the world, based on their stamps. For instance, Finland and the Netherlands have the most creative and colorful stamps. Most of the ones I receive from China, Japan, and Ireland feature scenes from the natural world. Canada seems big on national pride, as so many of their stamps feature symbols of things that are important to the country and then tend to run series on a national theme. America seems to honor history and tradition in our stamps, as many feature historical people or events, and we have series that come out yearly: LOVE at Valentine's Day, Chinese New Year, wedding-related stamps, and more.

In addition to the things I'm learning by researching my stamps, I also enjoy the collection and organization aspect. Unlike some other more finite collections, I'll never realistically complete this world-encompassing collection. With 9 children, 3 animals, a home, a homeschool, and a husband, I think my stamp collection is the one thing that I can keep orderly and under control!! :)
Profile Image
I found Stamp Collecting, a good hobby, when my daughter was little. It could be put in storage for 6 months or I could just potter away with it, in the evenings.
(It also makes an easy present, when they are on a lean budget)
Profile Image
Here's a link to explain what THATU does. http://www.thatu.org/help.htm I send stamps to them in the UK - I think I've sent 5 or so batches over the years. I also send them to Stellamaris for her classroom project.
Profile Image
I have PM you
Thank you
Stella
Profile Image
It started many years ago, I can't remember how exactly but I sure know that I liked the different colourful and landscapes stamps. Soon, I knew that I wanted to keep up with this collection but in a free way. I still collect stamps, any type of them from all over the world, used or not and I feel there's a way of seeing the world as elizardbreath said!
Profile Image
Mom has both a general collection of stamps from all over the world and a topical collection of music-related stamps, and she loves to get new ones. Whenever friends & relatives go traveling out of the country, she only wants stamps as souvenirs. :)

I also have a small (tiny) personal collection of origami-related stamps (see http://www.giladorigami.com/Articles-Stamps-Origami.html and http://www.origamispirit.com/---/origami-on-postage-stamps-interview-with-a-collector for examples, although my collection has only a few of those stamps).

In addition, Mom collects stamps of all sorts (old/recent, used/mint, on paper/soaked off, US/non-US, etc.) for the Woman's Board of Missions for our state church conference and on their behalf regularly sends stamps to two charity projects, one in Germany ( http://www.briefmarken-bethel.de/start.html ), and another in the US inspired by the German program (Stamps for a Living/Deaf-Reach, based in Washington, D.C.).

She uses the priority mail flat-rate boxes and sends one out whenever she has packed one as full as possible - every few months. Both projects use the stamps to provide work and generate income for physically/mentally/socially challenged individuals.
Profile Image
I also have a small (tiny) personal collection of origami-related stamps

I checked the Australian stamps of the present to see if there were any origami stamps for your collection, but sorry there aren't. The closest is a paper kite. Most of the stamps are of nature.
http://shop.auspost.com.au/---/stamp-issues
Profile Image
I collect, because it was a thing Dads'family did. It was only amongst family members.
I collect used New Zealand stamps (2 books) + 4 books for the rest of the world + 4 First Day Cover folders and First Day Covers of the countries I have been to.
My daughter collects, with me doing most of the work.
It was a cheap and easy present for family overseas and in New Zealand to send me.
Profile Image
I collect all kind of stamps. I have started with my collections at the mid of the 80´s. Every stamp has its own history. I would be happy about stamps especially from foreign countries. So this is another opportunity to get in contact with people from other countries and learn more about both - country and people - and the stamps from there, of course :)
Profile Image
It was a family hobby starting with my maternal grandfather. Two of my brothers also were stamp collectors and I picked it up when I was very little. I liked learning history and geography from them. I don't do a lot with my collection now, but I still make some additions and like to use stamps to mail my packages. However, the US Postal Service makes it harder to do that now. For security reasons, you have to take any package bearing stamps, and over 13 ounces, to a post office to mail. Most books I mail are over that limit, so they often wind up getting a meter at the post office.
Profile Image
I run a Forum Thread, about Postage Stamp Trades, about 3 - 4 times a year. Either in RABCK or Chitchat. The next one us in about 2 months.
Profile Image
Hello gaboyd,

your envelope arrived safe and sound within this week. Thank you very much for that huge amount of New Zealand stamps :)

My envelope with German stamps will go out tommorrow in the morning.
Profile Image
....but I still make some additions and like to use stamps to mail my packages. However, the US Postal Service makes it harder to do that now. For security reasons, you have to take any package bearing stamps, and over 13 ounces, to a post office to mail. Most books I mail are over that limit, so they often wind up getting a meter at the post office.

Mom got a postal scale through the post office (fairly inexpensive but with a 10 lb weight limit), and we use USPS Notice 123 ( http://pe.usps.com/---/Notice123.pdf ) to determine how much to put on. They still have to go the post office, but that way we can use stamps on the boxes.
Profile Image
Packages here have to be all handed over to staff at the post office, whether with stamps or a paid label. Only envelopes can be posted yourself. We have never had mail picked up from the house.
Profile Image
we use USPS Notice 123 (http://pe.usps.com/---/Notice123.pdf ) to determine how much to put on. They still have to go the post office, but that way we can use stamps on the boxes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I saw this page once and have not been able to find it since! Now maybe I can get books mailed easier.
Profile Image
we use USPS Notice 123 (http://pe.usps.com/---/Notice123.pdf ) to determine how much to put on. They still have to go the post office, but that way we can use stamps on the boxes.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I saw this page once and have not been able to find it since! Now maybe I can get books mailed easier.

Yep, a very useful document...but they never post the new one until the actual day the new rates take effect. So you have to pay attention and get a new copy every time they change the rates.
Profile Image

Ask me

I collect all the stamps off the parcels I receive, so if you're a collector and I'm sending you a book, let me know and I can pop them in. I always put real stamps on any books I post, usually in as many denominations as possible :)
Profile Image
Received your German stamps + book, today. Thank you.
Profile Image
Received your German stamps + book, today. Thank you.

Not from me...??
Edited to add...Iwent and looked at your profile, and found you meant from Simson-Shilitoe with this book
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/12428373/
Profile Image
As I told you I collect stamps for my students. Not only I give them stamps, but I try to learn them about stamps collecting and we use stamps to study history, natural science, customs etc.
Profile Image
I collect cancelled postage stamps for a group that whiteraven (not whiteraven13) asked for stamps to be donated to. She had a rare brain malformation (google asap brain disease) and this group really helped her after she talked to a lot of doctors who had no idea.

ASAP
P.O. Box 1586
Longview, TX 75606
Profile Image
Hello J4shaw,

I have some good news - Your postcard arrived safe and sound here after 26 days travel time.

Thanks for the great postcard and stamps. The front cover is exotic and nostalgic at the same time.

Certainly it is the postcard from most exotic place in the world - apart from the postcard from Antarctica in 2011 - I have received so far :)

My parcel has obviously not yet arrived in Kiribati. I have sent it 3 weeks ago.

I am looking Wikipedia for some information about Kiribati. Currently we have here in Germany a heatwave. Today there will be about 41 ° C. I believe that it is a bit warmer here than in Kiribati.

Thank you again.

Best wishes and happy bookcrossing
Profile Image
Hello J4shaw,
I have some good news - Your postcard arrived safe and sound here after 26 days travel time.
Thanks for the great postcard and stamps. The front cover is exotic and nostalgic at the same time.
Certainly it is the postcard from most exotic place in the world - apart from the postcard from Antarctica in 2011 - I have received so far :)
My parcel has obviously not yet arrived in Kiribati. I have sent it 3 weeks ago.
I am looking Wikipedia for some information about Kiribati. Currently we have here in Germany a heatwave. Today there will be about 41 ° C. I believe that it is a bit warmer here than in Kiribati.
Thank you again.
Best wishes and happy bookcrossing

Awesome!
Glad it got to you safely.
Tarawa reaches 40 degrees, but its been a constant 30-36 this past week, so yes you're getting much hotter weather than us. Surprising as Tarawa is right on the equator!
Postage to Tarawa from Europe usually takes 4-6 weeks, but I'll let you know as soon as I receive anything ;)
Profile Image
There's a used stamp exchange thread, in Chit Chat
Profile Image
I do collect stamps which I send to charity here in Norway; Tubfrim. Info in English; http://www.tubfrim.no/subdet9.htm
Profile Image
Got some very nice stamps mostly from Germany with a few from Poland..but no sender's name. Thank you very much!

https://www.flickr.com/---/photostream
Profile Image
Hello there,

I have also received a mysterious envelope with no return address in the last days. Inside the envelope I found some nice stamps from Fiji and the United Arab Emirates. Thank you very much, mysteroius sender, for this surprise envelope :)

I first had no idea who could have sent it. But .... it must be a person who knows some stamp collectors. And furthermore, I have asked google-maps for the word " Bairik " .... so I think our mysterious sender / person lives on a very small island / atoll in the South Pacific and her name can be found at the beginning of this thread, right :)

Oh, and I think I have seen your stamps some weeks ago on my desk, but I am not the sender of your envelope - that´s our mysterious person :)
Profile Image
And furthermore, I have asked google-maps for the word " Bairik " .... so I think our mysterious sender / person lives on a very small island / atoll in the South Pacific and her name can be found at the beginning of this thread, right :)

Ah, yes, I meant to do that. The envelope not only had no return address, it had no stamps, and only that "bairik" mark.

Thanks J4shaw! (and thanks to Simson-Shilitoe too.)
Profile Image
Ah, yes, I meant to do that. The envelope not only had no return address, it had no stamps, and only that "bairik" mark.

Thanks J4shaw! (and thanks to Simson-Shilitoe too.)

Really????
Kiribati has obviously turned to free postage now!
Bairiki post office is indeed on the atoll of Tarawa in Kiribati, and they were indeed from me ;)
Profile Image
It's ok to exchange/send common stamps, especially to other countries.
My main sources of stamps are:
- Mail
-Postcards from people on holiday
-Buying them
-Exchange
Profile Image
I thought some of you stamp geeks might find this interesting:
http://geekdad.com/---/force-awakens-stamps/

"The Royal Mail of Great Britain has announced that it is to issue a new set of stamps to commemorate the release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
"Nineteen stamps featuring characters and vehicles from all of the films in the franchise will be available. As one might expect, the quality of the images is excellent."
Profile Image
In the last several years the US Post Office has started issuing stamps tied to commercial things like that--Harry Potter, some well-known cartoon characters that I forget at the moment. I'm violently against that sort of thing and won't buy the stamps as a matter of principle. I think a member of the Citizens' Stamp Advisory Committee may have resigned in protest of over this.
Profile Image

FYI

I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the USA you can often get unused older stamps at face value at stamp collectors' shows. Old stamps aren't automatically worth more than face--it's all about supply and demand. I've gotten stamps from the 1930s at face value.

In 1967 the USPS issued a commemorative stamp for the 50th anniversary of Finland's independence:

http://uspsstamps.com/---/finland-independence

I used one of these on a Postcrossing postcard to Finland and got a snarky email saying, in effect, "We weren't just independent from 1917 to 1967. We're still independent, thank you very much!" But I knew enough about Finland's contentious relationship with Russia to understand where the person was coming from!
Profile Image
My grandfather and one of my brothers collected and helped get me started. I use stamps on big packages like books less now since the US Postal Service no longer allows any stamped mail over 13 ounces to be dropped in mailboxes.
Profile Image
You are from DARWIN!? I'd never have picked that in a hundred years. Love Darwin, lived there for a few years of mis-spent youth.
Profile Image
You are from DARWIN!? I'd never have picked that in a hundred years. Love Darwin, lived there for a few years of mis-spent youth.

No, I'm from Preston in the UK.
Lived in Darwin Australia 2011-2014
Profile Image

Childhood

My grandfather and two of my older brothers were collectors, and my parents helped me get started, too. I remember when my other grandfather died that my parents bought me a Senior Statesman (huge!) album to keep me occupied. I've still got it.
Profile Image

Following

I collect stamps too but I'd like to get more international ones! I'd also like to try to collect the state flags series. PM me if you would like my details. Thanks! By the way, I'd be happy to share any duplicates I have with another collector who wants them. I'll try to post pics and if anyone wants them, please let me know.
Profile Image
I've got some New Zealand dominant ones, ready to post
Profile Image

Just a bump

I always add a link to this thread on in my release notes, so just wanting to keep it up to date.

I know for sure the following BCers still collect:
- bookfrogster (UK) - collects for Love Quilts UK
- Stellamaris (Spain) - collects for her annual classroom project
- hyphen8 (USA) - collects for her Mum's collection

Profile Image
I always add a link to this thread on in my release notes, so just wanting to keep it up to date.

I know for sure the following BCers still collect:
- bookfrogster (UK) - collects for Love Quilts UK
- Stellamaris (Spain) - collects for her annual classroom project
- hyphen8 (USA) - collects for her Mum's collection

Yep, that's me. Mom also shares with other collectors & sends to charities who collect stamps.
Profile Image
THATU is a UK charity that collects used postage stamps - among other initiatives that raise funds to help the poor in South Africa . I've been saving and sending stamps once a year or so for about 10 years now. Here is a link about Thatu's stamp collecting drive https://www.thatu.org/stamps.html

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.