corner corner Little Free Library RIGHT by my house!

Forum | << Chit-Chat | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Little Free Library RIGHT by my house!

http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/---/find-a-library.html

Walking distance, like about 8 minutes away...I'm SO excited!! I can't wait to go leave some books there in the morning, and see what they have....I'm geeking out right now - I looked longingly at this website a long time ago and thought (sigh) they're all in cozy places with actual weather, there'll never be one in Los Angeles..don't even know why I looked again...yay!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/find-a-library.html

Walking distance, like about 8 minutes away...I'm SO excited!! I can't wait to go leave some books there in the morning, and see what they have....I'm geeking out right now - I looked longingly at this website a long time ago and thought (sigh) they're all in cozy places with actual weather, there'll never be one in Los Angeles..don't even know why I looked again...yay!
Profile Image
Very cool! I checked and the nearest one to me is a couple of states over, but maybe that'll change...
Profile Image
DH and I took a brisk walk over to check it out, and I left two books. It's so! cool...two shelves filled with everything from mysteries to Chick Lit to children's books to How to Speak French to gardening tips - a little bit of everything...probably a good 50 or 60 books in all. We struck up a conversation with a guy who was there looking over the selection - he said he and his wife stop by once or twice a week and both take and leave books. What a lovely thing for the neighborhood!

Hope I get to meet the proprietor soon...
Profile Image
None in Delaware yet. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to build the first right now.
Profile Image
This is the coolest idea EVER. I can't believe I've never heard of it, but I already have some ideas for folks who might go in with me on one of these and potential locations near me...
Profile Image
Because you haven't read the latest BC Newsletter yet?
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/News20120402.html
Profile Image
These are wonderful!
Profile Image

RE:

That's so neat! It makes me want to start one in my neighborhood.
Profile Image
Are there any pictures of it?
:)
Profile Image
very nice. The closest one to me is about 2 miles south of my work (About 7 miles from home). I am planning on riding over some afternoon to check it out as it looks like it may be inside a Starbucks.

I would love to see one of these set up in the park near my house that has a couple miles of bike trail along the Skokie channel, and is also a sculpture park. It's already such a well used path with tons of benches for sitting and relaxing...
Profile Image
I did notice one in Berkhamsted which is somewhere I moor my boat in summer. Very much looking forward to getting back out there and hutning for the little library.

Edited to add: TOO EXCITING! it's right by the canal so shouldn't be too hard to find ;-) http://preview.tinyurl.com/bmknoxm
Profile Image
Here's a link to an old (Dec 2011) article all about these little libraries in our area:

http://www.oregonlive.com/---/portland_book_lovers_nurture_n.html

There are several in the Portland area that are registered with the Little Free Library web site. But it's interesting to see that many of the ones listed in the article are book exchange sites created and maintained by neighborhood groups without any connection to the Little Free Library web site.

I haven't visited any of these in person (yet!) but maybe one of these days...
Profile Image
My home town (Madison, Wisconsin) has lots of them, several of them withing walking distance of my parents' house. There is no OBCZ in Madison anymore but those little libraries make fantastic places to release books. As for here in New England, I don't think there are any yet.
Profile Image
It's a good hour's drive from my house, so I can't stop by often, but it is near the seacoast so I imagine I'll fit it in whenever I'm going that way. I dropped off a few books today:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/696904

Charming little structure, too, smaller than I'd imagined but with room for a nice selection of books.
Profile Image
Any chance you could share a picture with us? Or is there a way I can see a picture of this particular one on the website? (I looked, but didn't see a way.)
Profile Image
Any chance you could share a picture with us? Or is there a way I can see a picture of this particular one on the website? (I looked, but didn't see a way.)

I posted pictures in the books I released there. There's also a little video clip about it here:

http://exeter.patch.com/---/video-first-nh-little-library-in-exeter#video-9799677
Profile Image
Oh! Silly me. I didn't realize your book list was clickable. I'm used to clicking on the "x journalers" to see the stuff about releases. Thanks!
Profile Image

I created BookCrossing zones for the ones near me. See pictures in my July 13th post.
Profile Image
I just learned about these today! There is one near my work, so I went to check it out! Released two BC books and took a handful. So excited!! There's another one where my knitting group meets too.
Profile Image
but how did you set up a new zone to post the releases to? I just dropped off 4 books at the nearest Little Free Library and couldn't make release notes because I couldn't make a zone. How do you do it?
Sadly this Library was empty until I put the 4 books in. I wonder if the news article that came out in the Seattle Times today made other people go to the Libraries and take everything.
Profile Image
but after checking out the website, I find it nearly impossible to find out if there is one near me. It looks as if the only way is to click on the little icons on the map. There is a concentration of them near the Canada/US border and after a few hit and miss tries, I gave up. There doesn't seem to be a search feature that I can find to type in Toronto, for example. A bit frustrating. Anyhow, it looks like a cute idea.
Profile Image
I don't quite know how I muddled around and found the expanded list of individual LFL's, but there was a place to click and enlarge the map, and when I did, it pulled up a list of them in alphabetical order on the far left of my screen. In case that doesn't work for you, there are two LFL's in Toronto, one at 304 Lee Ave. M4E 2P8 at the home of Bill Wrigley and Carolyn Swadron and another at 100 Swanwick Ave. M4E 1Z9 which belongs to a Monique Richard. Both are in the front yards of their homes. Hope at least one of them is near to you!
Profile Image
I don't know either of those streets but I will get out my local street guide and find them! Thanks again. I will bring some books (and bookcrossing bookmarks!) when I do go.

:-)
Profile Image
I didn't notice this myself until just recently, so I don't know if it's always been a feature, but in addition to the map with the icons on it there's a scrollable text column on the left, which you can search via your browser's "find" function to look for specific states or cities. [The list runs to several pages so you do have to page through it, but it's a nice option if you don't want to fiddle with the map!]
Profile Image
I wanted to see a little free library (there are none in Oklahoma). Went by there and took a couple books but it was pretty full so I just brought them back and released at resort. It was still fun just to see it.

You get that list by clicking on a list in a paragraph, I think it was upper right after you've gone to the link of finding a library.
Profile Image
I've just discovered that I pass by one on my daily commute!!! I've been checking the website ever since LFL's info have been posted in BC threads, and not expecting to see anything new I checked the site just now. There's one in a shopping center I go past on my way to work. I need to see what I've got available right now - will probably try to stop there tomorrow. I'm so excited!!
Profile Image
I've just discovered that I pass by one on my daily commute!!! I've been checking the website ever since LFL's info have been posted in BC threads, and not expecting to see anything new I checked the site just now. There's one in a shopping center I go past on my way to work. I need to see what I've got available right now - will probably try to stop there tomorrow. I'm so excited!!

I'm reading back on some of these old threads and saw this post by MaryZee. Our BCinDC BookCrossing buddy is no longer alive (we miss her dearly!), but the Little Free Library she spotted and posted about this thread on 4/4/12 was the one she showed me in person. That got me started on my adventure of setting up and running my own Little Free Library in Maryland. Thank you, MaryZee!
Profile Image
One of the best results of your push on the librarything site to get little free libraries and bookcrossing sites added is that I discovered a little free library that is actually on my commute, and not on my commute if I take a weird way and transfer over two trains (which has me headed much further south of my destination). It just showed up on the LFL official map and I noticed someone else inputted the info for it.

I dropped some books off this morning on my way to campus :)
Profile Image
I dropped some books off this morning on my way to campus :)

That's so nice to hear that my efforts have borne fruit! :)
Profile Image
I like that folks can live on here in the fora.
Profile Image
I like that folks can live on here in the fora.

MaryZee deserves to live on here forever. BookCrossing was such a large part of her life. She'll always be in our hearts here at BCinDC.
Profile Image
These two little gems are just a couple blocks from each other. I have registered both of them as BookCrossing Zones. One is all childrens' books and the other mixed.

I have included a picture of each. I just love this concept and would love to have my own!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/698807 (an old newspaper box)
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/698806
Profile Image
and all 3 of them had my wild released books in them. Sigh. At the last though, the person running it joined, journalled the books. That was nice.

I've decided to go on a mission, and drop off 1 or 2 books in the ones in the area and register the sites as Little Free Library Zones.
Profile Image
I got a PM from another bookcrosser today who saw my release at the Little Free Library... She'll be releasing books there too! Maybe this means more traveling books?
Profile Image
The last one I visited had a BC book from the KC-Public Library Mass release of July 2004. I picked it up so it could 'phone home'.
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/1829385/
Profile Image
When I checked the website three months ago, there were probably 6 LFL's in all of California. Now there are 44!! I would suggest checking back frequently if the movement is spreading at this rate and you're hoping for one to sprout in your area..!
Profile Image
One in Delaware finally, but nowhere near me. I'm sure one will eventually arrive though.
Profile Image
20 minutes away by car. Dropped off 12 books, mostly registered by other BookCrossers. Took 3 books. I would really love to put one of these up myself but need to do some upgrades to my property first. Great idea!
Profile Image

one near me

I have one a few streets over. I love to check on it and make sure it has good books for those who stop by.
Profile Image
There's one in my town! It is such a cute idea. <3 I should go there and look for some books for the YA VBB I joined, a book exchange/ring thingie. *lightbulb moment* =)
Profile Image
What is YA VBB, please?
Profile Image
What is YA VBB, please?

Young Adult Virtual Book Box
Profile Image
OK, I'm familiar with the Young Adult category of books, so, so far so good; and I know what a book box is, or at least I think I do...but how does one manage a "virtual" book box?
Profile Image
...(in the "Terminology" section) with the basic idea, but each one can be managed differently depending on the preferences of the originator. If you're interested, check out the VBB threads in the Bookray forum; they'll usually have instructions posted.
Profile Image
I found out last night that there is another LFL near me.
Profile Image
There is a LFL a block from my house!! I kinda wanted one of my own, but I know hubby would never go for the idea. This is the next best thing! Nice find this morning. That was totally not there yesterday!!

happy happy joy joy.
Profile Image
I know exactly how you felt - could NOT believe there was one so close to my home...enjoy!
Profile Image
to visit a Little Free Library!! I discovered one in my neighboring city of Ventura, California and made a visit today to grab two books and release two Bookcrossing books!!
Profile Image
This is so cool! Thanks for letting me know, and I hope your books get picked up and journaled!!
Profile Image
This is so cool! Thanks for letting me know, and I hope your books get picked up and journaled!!

I'm hoping the books are jounalled too as many of my wild releases do not receive jornal entries.
Profile Image

I found one

yesterday that doesn't seem to be on their website. Pulled off I-40 exit 278 (I think) in Arizona, Parks Rd. or something like that. There's a combination gas station (Texaco I think), store and P.O. Right outside is a little free library. Unfortunately I had already released all the books I brought and who knows when I'll be by there again. Oh well....
Profile Image
...and lo and behold, there are now 2 (count 'em) in my state. Luckily for me, one of them is even on my island!

Went there today: http://www.flickr.com/---/littlefreelibrary
Profile Image
How funny that it's so high?! Who are they trying to keep out, marauding gangs of book-stealing toddlers? That's great that you left a bunch of books, it looks like it could have done with some restocking. The one near me is always filled to the gills, I feel like I should take more than I leave!
Profile Image
How funny that it's so high?! Who are they trying to keep out, marauding gangs of book-stealing toddlers?

It might have something to do with the cute munchkins who are in this photo: I'm guessing they live there...http://www.flickr.com/---/7782490928

(But I still wish it had been a couple of inches lower - it would have made my life easier!)

Profile Image
...with truly heart-warming results; see this post in an Activists-forum thread about LFLs:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/7685444

It makes me want to set up one of my own - but I'd have to do a lot of yard-work first or all the weeds and overgrown trees would make it impossible to find {wry grin}.
Profile Image
It pays to check the list periodically, because in looking just now, I learned that a NEW LFL has been put up in my neighborhood, and this one is also within walking distance of my house!!! I'll definitely hit it before the weekend is over to see what they have, and need.
Profile Image
As I get alerts when books are wild released near me...........To my surprise, 4 books were released into a Little Free Library in Alvin, TX. So I PM the bookcrosser for the address...........It is her new little library.........got the address and released some books into the Free Library and took them there. It's a cute library...........I am really excited to help get it started.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.