corner corner An inspiring catch!

Forum | << Site Watch | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

An inspiring catch!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10300342

This might be the best catch I ever had. The AF was inspired to show his teacher, who was inspired to buy books to inspire the rest of the class and introduce them to BookCrossing!

Complete Thread

Profile Image
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/10300342/

This might be the best catch I ever had. The AF was inspired to show his teacher, who was inspired to buy books to inspire the rest of the class and introduce them to BookCrossing!
Profile Image

Very impressive

what one little book can accomplish! I think this is one of the best catches EVER -- it opens up a realm of possibilities for an entire group of youngsters. Weel done grubsneerg!
Profile Image
That's fabulous - really wonderful!
Profile Image

Wonderful!

Congratulations - you've made a difference for a whole group of kids.
Definitely one for the newsletter!
Profile Image
Definitely one for the newsletter!

Just what I was going to say. What an absolutely wonderful catch!
Profile Image

Neat.

Truly neat.
Profile Image

Great catch!

Seems odd the teacher had to take out a loan to buy books for the class though. Is this normal in the US?
Profile Image
Ardachy, I regret to say it is all too common. Most of the school funding is based on the property tax base with some help from the local, state, or federal government (all of which are currently broke).

In fact, there is an online charity that has the support of people like Oprah and Stephen Colbert called DonorsChoose.org in which teachers list projects they would like to do with their classes and the amount of money it would take to fund the project. People can log in and contribute even a small amount towards the funding. Some of the projects fall into the "little bit extra" category that you can understand is not in the general budget of most schools or teachers. Some of them, though, are sad, like here in the Washington DC city schools where you see them asking for $ to buy paper so they can make photocopies of textbooks because four or five students share a book in class.

The political bickering on the subject of school funding is not as sexy as some of the other topics right now, but it is no more civil.
Profile Image
only for cities and rural areas. The suburbs tend to have enough money to educate their kids. Not always though. My knitting group makes things for a yearly sale to buy food for snacks for one local school, and books, snowsuits etc. We no longer have a saftey net over here. It's defnitely 'a wing and a prayer'. Sad, very sad.
Profile Image
Thanks for the responses and explanation everyone, I agree it is sad. Apologies to grubsneeg for going off topic, I hope it has not detracted from what is truly an inspiring catch.
Profile Image
I have enjoyed the conversation and insights, myself!
Profile Image
I have enjoyed the conversation and insights, myself!

That's what made the catch so inspiring. I try to leave books where 10-15 year olds might run across them, and when those do happen, it's a better catch than any other. This was a wonderful catch, and our responses to it underline that.
Profile Image
Is this normal in the US?

Unfortunately, it sometimes is. See this forum thread from not too long ago. http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/472705

Profile Image
:))

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.