corner corner How do I get musky smell out of books?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

How do I get musky smell out of books?

If I were keeping them, I would put them in a bag with baking soda for a week, or that carpet powder, but if I don't get it all out, people may think it's anthrax and get the police and other people all riled up, and that wouldn't make BookCrossing.com look good. Soooooo, what else would work? I've thought of putting them in a box with some charcoal [not touching the books] or in the bathroom with a bowl of bleach sitting out, again, not near the books. Will either of these techniques work? What will work? I don't want to send out the books until they smell clean. They look clean. I have 24 books labeled and almost ready to go. Please, if you have a tip, let me know.

Hugs,
Cat-A

Complete Thread

Profile Image
If I were keeping them, I would put them in a bag with baking soda for a week, or that carpet powder, but if I don't get it all out, people may think it's anthrax and get the police and other people all riled up, and that wouldn't make BookCrossing.com look good. Soooooo, what else would work? I've thought of putting them in a box with some charcoal [not touching the books] or in the bathroom with a bowl of bleach sitting out, again, not near the books. Will either of these techniques work? What will work? I don't want to send out the books until they smell clean. They look clean. I have 24 books labeled and almost ready to go. Please, if you have a tip, let me know.

Hugs,
Cat-A
Profile Image
I got this tip from a used bookdealer: Buy a bag of cedar shavings at a hardware store. It's sold for dog bedding. Place 4 - 5 inches in a large, clean cardboard box, place the book on top, put more cedar shavings on top of the book and around the book and close the box. Put it aside for several weeks (or longer). Remove the book and carefully brush away the shavings. No, you DON'T open the pages and put any cedar shavings between (that would stain the pages). But even so, this technique takes away musty odors not only on the outside of the book but the inside, too. Yes, you do get a slight cedar odor, but most people don't object to it since it's a "natural smell."
Profile Image
Wow, great tip. I personally love the smell of old books (and cedar)! This is one of the reasons that I will NEVER go the e-book route.
Profile Image
THANKS!!!!!! I love the scent of cedar, too. I think I have some cedar blocks, but I'll get some shavings after vacation.

Hugs,
Cat-A
Profile Image
According to the other 2 replies to this post, it is not a cedar odor, but a cedar fragrence, or just a cedar scent.
Profile Image
A librarian friend told me to put a few drops of wintergreen oil on a cotton ball and put the ball in a plastic bag with the book, but not touching it.

Mellanie

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.