corner corner Damaged Book

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Damaged Book

G'day,

I have a previously registered book that was damaged to the extent that it had to be binned. I've made a journal entry explaining this, but do I mark it as Permanent Collection or Travelling or what?

seldombites :-)

Complete Thread

Profile Image
G'day,

I have a previously registered book that was damaged to the extent that it had to be binned. I've made a journal entry explaining this, but do I mark it as Permanent Collection or Travelling or what?

seldombites :-)
Profile Image
along the lines of "Cemetery of Books" "That Big Bookshelf in the Sky" "Book Heaven" or similar. In theory you can make a control release, then PM one of those accounts the BCID and they'll shelve it on their permanent collection. That way the book doesn't appear on your hands anymore and it's on someone elses PC, so people can't go hunting for it. And if it comes up one way or another, people can read its history and know it's not around anymore.

In practice I'm not sure how active those accounts are. You can make a research and see what comes up, here is one I found:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/TheDeathOfBooks/

There are people in BC who are members here much longer than I am, so wait to see what they suggest too : )

Profile Image
along the lines of "Cemetery of Books" "That Big Bookshelf in the Sky" "Book Heaven" or similar. In theory you can make a control release, then PM one of those accounts the BCID and they'll shelve it on their permanent collection. That way the book doesn't appear on your hands anymore and it's on someone elses PC, so people can't go hunting for it. And if it comes up one way or another, people can read its history and know it's not around anymore.

In practice I'm not sure how active those accounts are. You can make a research and see what comes up, here is one I found:

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/TheDeathOfBooks/

There are people in BC who are members here much longer than I am, so wait to see what they suggest too : )

I have PM'd TheDeathOfBooks. Thank you for the referral.
Profile Image
Luckily I haven't had to deal with this often, but when I do, I either recycle the BCID or add an explanatory JE and set the status to "traveling" (as in, "to the great library in the sky"). That status takes the book off my "in hand" list. (If I wound up shredding the damaged book and adding it to the compost heap, a photo of next season's flower garden might be a nice touch... assuming I remembered to do that when the time came!)

If the book has no travel history then recycling the BCID might be a better option. If I liked a damaged book well enough to hunt up another copy I'd just re-use the BCID for that; if not, and if I hadn't posted a significant review of the "dead" book, I'd use the BCID for a new book and edit the book details accordingly.
Profile Image
Thanks. I just might do that, actually. As I've not heard back from The DeathOfBooks and the book hasn't travelled at all, recycling the BCID seems like a good idea.
Profile Image
and put a note in a journal entry.

I've never bothered sending it to any of those accounts.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.