corner corner Just curious ...

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image

Just curious ...

I noticed earlier today (Sun. 17 Nov.), as I was making release notes for 2 books, that when I changed the release date from 16 November (which came up as the default) to 17 November (since that was the day I was releasing them according to my (ie New Zealand) time), it altered the wording to "release planned for 17 November", and the books didn't show up on the release board. I'm not worried about that, but I'm curious as to whether they will ever show on the release board - for example, when the first clock in the US registers 17 November?

Is anyone able to provide an answer?

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I noticed earlier today (Sun. 17 Nov.), as I was making release notes for 2 books, that when I changed the release date from 16 November (which came up as the default) to 17 November (since that was the day I was releasing them according to my (ie New Zealand) time), it altered the wording to "release planned for 17 November", and the books didn't show up on the release board. I'm not worried about that, but I'm curious as to whether they will ever show on the release board - for example, when the first clock in the US registers 17 November?

Is anyone able to provide an answer?
Profile Image
There's a book released by you called Bad Chemistry I found on the "go hunting" pages: http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/33418

There's another released by you called Fear and Favour I found on the "go hunting" pages:
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/sort_6

I just checked the top 100 "recently released" books on the leader board for books and I didn't see your titles. But I also noticed that there were books on there that had released dates of November 12. So here's my theory:

The recently released books section of the leader board for books is compiled according to the top 100 (or 5, 10, etc.) most recent Release Notes entries...not the most recent release dates. This could explain why there are Books released 5 days ago nestled in with books released today, if people are releasing books in the wild, and then just now making the release notes about it (maybe they were on vacation while releasing and/or otherwise couldn't get to their computers).

Maybe more than 100 release notes have been made since you made yours, and that's why they're not on the leader board for recently released books.

How's that sound? It's just a theory.

Cliff1976
Profile Image
actually, the Bookcrossing 'clock' is set to one time zone (probably the one Ron is in?) It doesn't take into account other locations, so when you release a book today in NZ, and change the date to reflect that it was today for you, it won't actually show on the released books, until today 'BookCrossing' time. I guess it could be fixed to make the site truly 'global' by programming some option that allows you to choose your time zone so the release would show at the right time for the right country. I'm not a programmer so don't have a clue how it could be done, but I'm sure someone could figure it out!
Profile Image

time zones

I think Ron has that on his to-do list somewhere. I know it's been suggested before.
Profile Image
One solution would be to start recording all times in Zulu (i.e. GMT +0) and record as part of the user variables (like how you prefer to sort bookshelves, whether you prefer to show flat/threaded forum entries) how many hours of off-set you like relative to GMT. I'm in Michigan, so it would store -5 for me. For my friends in Germany it would store +1.

Profile Image
A tiny question: Are you sure that Zulu is GMT +0? I would guess it's something like GMT+many cause GMT +0 is from "las islas del UK" :) Right?
Profile Image
"Zulu" is a US military time zone designation... a sort of code for Greenwich Mean Time (GMT).

I don't think it is supposed to line up with the geographical region where Zulus live.

"Zulu" is an accepted term for the letter "Z." You know, like
Alpha
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Whiskey
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu

I assume that calling it "Zulu" time means GMT +Zero.

Disclaimer: If I am wrong, this was not the first time, nor the last. :)
Profile Image
Lol, I guess I read this message too early for me (I should have been half asleep!). Obviously I thought you were talking about something completely different as I never heard GMT being called Zulu... but I think it's kinda funny. And I know about the "accepted terms" for the letters, I just don't know them by heart!

So you're most probably right!! And I should try to sleep & rest more :) But it's too hard to stop reading at night...

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.