corner corner Pictures uploading in landscape orientation.

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
when I take a picture on my iPhone, I email it to myself, open it on my computer, save, and they do come out in the correct portrait orientation.

I used to have the same problem you are experiencing. I think I solved it by clicking on the image I had emailed myself first which takes me to a new screen, then saving it. If I tried to save from the image in my email, without first "opening" it in another screen, it came out in landscape.

Try it that way and see if it works for you. I do not have to "rotate" the image when I do this. It comes out in portrait by itself.

And I agree with awaywithfairies that sometimes when you try to change an image, it can take several days to show correctly on your screen. The delay is very frustrating and before I realized it will eventually change to what I told it to, I would try to change it multiple times. When I finally gave up doing that (because it didn't work) and went back to check a week later, I would usually have the correct image.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
Hi, I’m uploading pictures straight from my iPhone’s camera roll and they are loading in landscape orientation. If they need to be resized, how do I do that? Thank you.

http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14742524/
Profile Image
My iPhone does that too.

You don't need to resize the pictures - the Bookcrossing website resizes them automatically. I guess what you really want is for the picture to be in the correct orientation (portrait in this case).

I have a method of fixing it but it is fiddly. I also do it from a computer, not the phone.

1. Go to the book's link. In this case, it's
http://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14742524/

2. Left click on the picture in the wild release notes. It should pop up as a larger picture.

3. Save that picture to your computer. Use what imaging software you have on your computer to rotate the picture and save it in the correct orientation.

4. Go back to the book's release notes.

5. Click on "upload journal picture".

6. You can choose to remove the current image. Or you can just upload the new image. That should automatically override/replace the old image.

7. It may not look as if the old picture has been replaced right away. There is a current known "bug" that means picture updating seems to be delayed. Bookcrossers have reported delays ranging from several hours to several days. In my own experience, it can be several weeks.

But, when asked to check, other Bookcrossers report being able to see the new image. So it may be some sort of caching issue.

8. If you want to check that the new picture has been uploaded, repeat step 2. The larger image that pops up should be the new picture. If so, rest assured that the smaller picture will update eventually. It will just take a while.

Profile Image
Ok, I'll try it. I think I will just make sure I take future pictures in landscape mode. Thanks for your help.
Profile Image
Do you have a computer?
Profile Image
Yes, I tend to use my iPad more but I have found it's easier and faster to use a computer when registering books, etc.
Profile Image
when I take a picture on my iPhone, I email it to myself, open it on my computer, save, and they do come out in the correct portrait orientation.

I used to have the same problem you are experiencing. I think I solved it by clicking on the image I had emailed myself first which takes me to a new screen, then saving it. If I tried to save from the image in my email, without first "opening" it in another screen, it came out in landscape.

Try it that way and see if it works for you. I do not have to "rotate" the image when I do this. It comes out in portrait by itself.

And I agree with awaywithfairies that sometimes when you try to change an image, it can take several days to show correctly on your screen. The delay is very frustrating and before I realized it will eventually change to what I told it to, I would try to change it multiple times. When I finally gave up doing that (because it didn't work) and went back to check a week later, I would usually have the correct image.
Profile Image

Yes, I now try to avoid uploading photos directly from my iPhone, purely because the method I described is fiddly. I tend to transfer pictures to my computer first and then upload them. At least the pictures then upload in the correct orientation on the first attempt!
Profile Image
While I was on holiday I uploded release pictures from my iphone and not from computer. I took two pictures for every release, one upright and one landscape format and than I tried out which one turned out the right way after uploding. That did not take much time and seemed to work.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.