corner corner Question about no pm option

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Hi, just checked and that person has put off all email from BookCrossing, so no way to get in touch with them, not even if you would friend them. Could be they're afraid the mail box would get too full when not at home, hard to tell

Complete Thread

Profile Image
What happens when you go to someone's page and the "send this member a private message" button thingy is just missing? Someone released a book in Pokhara (another city in Nepal) and I wanted to say hello, but the option just isn't there like it is with other BC members. I could "friend" them, but that seems a little odd, I had intended to send a pm. For what it's worth they are a newish member--from earlier in 2017. Does that make a difference?

And just to clarify this isn't when you click on the button and it says the person doesn't want to be contacted. In this case there's just no option.
Profile Image
Hi, just checked and that person has put off all email from BookCrossing, so no way to get in touch with them, not even if you would friend them. Could be they're afraid the mail box would get too full when not at home, hard to tell
Profile Image

Thanks for explaining, Hippolein - I didn't realize this was possible. How can you tell? Till now I've only seen the messages you get when you click to send a pm and get the message "this member does not want to be contacted regarding swaps, etc…."
Profile Image
If you don't have the option of a pm, the person has turned it off.
Profile Image
I didn't realize this was possible.

I imagine they clicked No on this

"Contacted by members:
Yes, please No, thank you"

in Manage Profile.
Profile Image
I *think* there have been cases where the option was disabled without the shelf-owner doing it; possibly due to a problem with their email, such that messages kept bouncing. I'm not positive about that, but I think I've seen forum threads along the lines of "I can't PM you, your option is turned off" followed by "That's funny, I didn't disable it"...

I don't know if the current create-new-account page asks the user whether they want to enable PMs from other BCers; if it's an opt-in option, that may explain why a newbie wouldn't have enabled it.
Profile Image
I'll have to forego getting in touch with this person - it wasn't urgent or essential anyway, though it might have been interesting. But I appreciate all the answers!
Profile Image
I'll have to forego getting in touch with this person - it wasn't urgent or essential anyway, though it might have been interesting. But I appreciate all the answers!

The only other option I can think of is to put an ISO (In Search Of) post in the forums and explain you'd like to get in touch. But of course that won't do any good if they don't come to the forums to see it.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.