corner corner Can I put the BCID of a book in multiple places in the book?

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
Because some secondhand book sellers rip out the main label, but if I put the number elsewhere as well, with the BC web address, where ripping out a page would make the book worthless, I figure they won't remove that number.

The number needs the BC address as well, because most people wouldn't know what the number meant without it. I once found a book with only a written BCID number. No labels, no BC address. I knew what it was and logged it, but a non-BCer (most people) wouldn't have know. I added labels to the book.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
So far, in most of the books I have registered, I have written the BCID in various places throughout the book, in addition to writing it on a label on the front cover inside. This way, if the cover falls off for some reason, someone who knows what BookCrossing is will still be able to track that book. However, I recently encountered a book that feels like it could fall in half in the near future. If the book were to fall into two pieces, would each piece be tracked separately, or should this be handled in some other way?
Profile Image
If the book actually falls in two, it would likely be thrown out, so that isn't really an issue. I can't see passing on two half books, can you?

And of course you can put the BCID in more than one place. I've gotten in the habit of putting it inside the front and back covers of all my hardcover book releases though for some reason just inside the front on paperbacks. (Just my personal preference. )

Some people write along the edge of the pages (opposite where the spine is.)

The better labeled the book is (with the website URL, the BCID, and some sort of label to tell people its a Free Book, or to say Take Me Home or something, the better. And the better to get catches, I would think.
Profile Image
Some people write along the edge of the pages (opposite where the spine is.)

I prefer using the top and bottom edge, because I find that writing on the long edge is very visible while you're reading the book, and it distracts me.

Having the URL and BCID on the bottom edge is great because you can then journal or release a stack of books, without even having to open them! And I also feel that it makes the book very hard to resell.
Profile Image
Because some secondhand book sellers rip out the main label, but if I put the number elsewhere as well, with the BC web address, where ripping out a page would make the book worthless, I figure they won't remove that number.

The number needs the BC address as well, because most people wouldn't know what the number meant without it. I once found a book with only a written BCID number. No labels, no BC address. I knew what it was and logged it, but a non-BCer (most people) wouldn't have know. I added labels to the book.

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.