corner corner question about third party hosting.

Forum | << Site Questions: Basic and Advanced | << Parent Thread | Refresh | Search

corner corner

Sort Options Toggle Stats Options

Profile Image
I did not yet delete the email so if anyone from the powers that be needs to see it, I could forward it

Please do, I'd be interested to see it. I'm moem at bookcrossing dot com.

My theory is that the message indicates that there should be an image in that spot, that's hosted on BookCrossing's Photobucket account but not shown anymore because their conditions have changed. So this is most likely not about your BookCrossing account, but about BookCrossing's Photobucket account.
If that is what it is, you certainly do not need to worry about it.

Complete Thread

Profile Image
I received some journal alerts this morning and noticed in the email that I was being asked to update my account to allow third party hosting.

What does third party hosting mean? Should I care, is this something I want or need? I honestly don't want my account to disappear but I also don't want to have places like facebook or any other site accessing my account. I am not on any other social media and that is a conscious choice.
Profile Image
That doesn't sound familiar to me. What format do you get your alerts in, summary or individual? Plain-text or HTML? I checked my most recent alerts (individual for JEs, summary for release-alerts, plain-text) and neither included anything about third-party hosting. Was it obviously a message from BookCrossing, or could it have been from your email provider?
Profile Image
No, it was definitely through the site as bookcrosser SqueakyChu from Maryland had been here last week visiting and all 4 JEs were from her, on books I had passed to her. It was a summary but I have had individual alerts as well. As for HTML or plain text, I am not sure really what that means but it had the BC yellow banner at the side with the numbers for Members (totals and last week) and the Books (totals and last week). Nothing that was not what I usually see but at the bottom of that box was a gray box (across the top of the email as well) that said: "Please update your account to enable third party hosting". It had a circle with a graphic of a kind of gauge that had an arrow to the right indicating 100% with the words beneath that in small print saying *Third party hosting usage* and under that graphic, were these words: "For important info, please go to: www.photobucket.com/P500".

I would forward it to you to see for yourself but I am not sure I can do that through the site pm system.

Anyhow, I am clicking on nothing but was curious if others are receiving it and more importantly, if this is something Bookcrossing is endorsing.

Profile Image
"For important info, please go to: www.photobucket.com/P500".

Aha! Sounds like it's from Photobucket - though why it attached to a BC message I don't know; haven't heard that we're partnering with them at all.

If it were a tie-in with your email provider, I'd expect the message to appear on other emails as well. Hmmm.

Definitely don't click on the link. If you can see what the link points to - the URL may display if you mouse-over it, or the "properties"/"message source" page could show you what the URL is - then you could research it to see if it's anything you're interested in.

From what I'm seeing when Googling Photobucket and 3rd party hosting, it seems that that site is indeed trying to limit access to people linking to its images from other sites without paying a hefty fee, but that shouldn't have anything to do with BC. Even if individual books link to images on Photobucket, the summary email shouldn't be affected. So... baffled!
Profile Image
I don't use photobucket and really have no interest in doing so or posting pictures. I didn't even think that was possible on bookcrossing. When I register a book, if the cover doesn't appear, I know how to search but if it isn't in that drop-down menu, it stays blank. I don't go looking elsewhere.

I would have thought that photobucket would have to have permission from bookcrossing to impose or insert an ad (or link) like this one into an official bookcrossing message such as journal alerts. It looked official but just seemed somehow *off*, thus my question about it.

I did not yet delete the email so if anyone from the powers that be needs to see it, I could forward it though I think that would have to be via a real email, not just the PM system. If I am wrong, please let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

Thanks for weighing in here, Gory
Profile Image
I did not yet delete the email so if anyone from the powers that be needs to see it, I could forward it

Please do, I'd be interested to see it. I'm moem at bookcrossing dot com.

My theory is that the message indicates that there should be an image in that spot, that's hosted on BookCrossing's Photobucket account but not shown anymore because their conditions have changed. So this is most likely not about your BookCrossing account, but about BookCrossing's Photobucket account.
If that is what it is, you certainly do not need to worry about it.
Profile Image
Done. Thanks

Thank *you*! Ardik has been notified.
Profile Image
My theory is that the message indicates that there should be an image in that spot, that's hosted on BookCrossing's Photobucket account but not shown anymore because their conditions have changed.

That makes sense! I get my alerts in plain-text format, so no images are involved; I bet it's the HTML format that includes the images.
Profile Image
== Short:

Don't be alarmed!
This has nothing to do with your own account!
As Moem has suggested this has to do with BookCrossing's (ancient) account at photobucket.

== Long:

I can confirm that since ages, probably since the beginning of (BookCrossing) time we've been using photobucket for some images. They have been used in early newsletters - and now it turns out, the daily digest emails refer to them as well ... :-(

photobucket.com very recently have changed their pricing policy with regards to images been shown on websites - and in emails - outside of photobucket themselves, what they call "3rd party hosting".
You now have to subscribe to a $-400-per-year subscription to be allowed to do that.
Well, no, that's not going to happen.

But here's the catch, for the time being:

Our system that's sending out the daily digest emails is a bit of a black box, currently (and since quite a while). We cannot easily change it ... (That's also the reason why those daily digest email are one of the few things that haven't been translated in to different languages yet.)

So please bear with us for a while, hopefully a few weeks only, until we've found a way to fix this or even re-create the whole daily-digest-system from scratch.
As you're probably aware :- ( BookCrossing's resources are extremely restricted, therefore it will not be a quick-fix, I'm afraid ...
Profile Image
We *really* appreciate all you do for us!!
Profile Image
Thanks from me too, Ardik. I can only imagine how complex it is to run a website that is as large and global as Bookcrossing is. I am relieved to learn that nothing about my account (or the site!) is being compromised and however long it takes, is fine.

Keep up the good work and thanks again
Profile Image
Wow. I have never used photobucket but did use Flickr at one time, though I haven't even looked at it in years. Maybe there is an advantage to my not being a techy; I pretty much don't have my fingers in many cyber pies at all!
Profile Image
I still use it as a photo back-up tool, as I've got the older, cheaper subscription, but I've been considering moving the content elsewhere. Naturally, there is no easy way to migrate the content, nor to download it back to my computer in bulk, so I'm sticking with them for now.

Quit Photobucket years ago when they first started going down this pay-us-or-else path. Personally, I don't mind paying for services, providing the fee is reasonable and the company's approach is not ransom-like, which Photobucket's was.
Profile Image
Flickr is rumored to be on its way out, too.

The BC release photographs are on Flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/---/pool/
Profile Image
Flickr is rumored to be on its way out, too.

The BC release photographs are on Flickr.

I'd be sorry to lose that Flickr "Celebrate BC Releases" group - not to mention all the other photos I've put on Flickr. It's not connected to the site's upload-JE-pic storage, though, which sounds like a good thing {rueful grin}.
Profile Image
It's not connected to the site's upload-JE-pic storage, though, which sounds like a good thing

Those of us who have added extra photographs on some book releases with Flickr connections, will have those photographs disappear. Example:
https://www.bookcrossing.com/---/14150039/

Are you sure you want to delete this item? It cannot be undone.